• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nahlakhai

Rooting for them to get their shit together seems better than rooting for them to go out of business.

From a utilitarian standpoint, I would agree. However they've had their chances. The public and private response of their CEO just screams that the company is rotten from the top down. While that's a really general statement to make about a company with 80,000 employees, enough is enough. Let those 79,998 people work for a company that knows how to treat its customers fairly and properly while also being able to turn a profit.

Baconmonk

Completely disgusting. I just flew United from Tokyo-NYC today. I can't believe airlines have the ability to order you off the plane at their discretion by law enforcement. And to violently remove him at that?

And the replies from the company are about the most soulless blameless corporate bullshit I've ever seen. An innocent man is violently assaulted on one of their aircraft, and because one of their employees didn't directly touch him, they think they are clear of fault? Yet, the whole incident occurred BECAUSE of their decision to prioritize their own employees over customers.

I hope that guy gets home safe.

Apparently r/videos mods did. They said that the video broke a couple of rules. People weren't happy about that.

rumor is that the mod who deleted it is a cop because their justification was that it is against the rule: "no videos of police brutality". That's why r/video is being spammed with United related posts to bait the mods to remove them.

rumor is that the mod who deleted it is a cop because their justification was that it is against the rule: "no videos of police brutality". That's why r/video is being spammed with United related posts to bait the mods to remove them.
So basically the mod was enforcing his own form of damage control???

That's screwed up. You can't just censor something cause it offends you. It's the internet.

From a utilitarian standpoint, I would agree. However they've had their chances. The public and private response of their CEO just screams that the company is rotten from the top down. While that's a really general statement to make about a company with 80,000 employees, enough is enough. Let those 79,998 people work for a company that knows how to treat its customers fairly and properly while also being able to turn a profit.

It's way easier to fix the company than it is to find new jobs for all those people. I'm no expert, but firing the CEO seems like a good start.

Welcome to the corporotacracy. The one thing Trump has consistently done so far is savage consumer rights and empower companies to have their way with the public (usually behind the spin of "jobs!"). Not that Trump had anything to do with this specific case, but the kind of culture that leads to corporations thinking this kind of thing is okay is being boosted by the White House now.

Korey

So basically the mod was enforcing his own form of damage control???

That's screwed up. You can't just censor something cause it offends you. It's the internet.

From what I understand they actually had a real justification for it, as they do have a rule against videos that contain "police brutality"

However, the mods had discretion to enforce the rule or not, and it was poor judgment to remove it after it had already reached #1 on the front page with thousands of upvotes already.

The result of this censorship (perceived or real) was a gigantic backlash that propelled this story to dominate the front page all day and basically fucked the video subreddit lol

I didn't see anything about the mod being a cop though, maybe that's true

mid83

It's way easier to fix the company than it is to find new jobs for all those people. I'm no expert, but firing the CEO seems like a good start.

United employs a lot of people in my city a lot with being the major carrier at our international airport. People wishing the company to go under are also wishing for lots of innocent people to suffer that have nothing to do with this. So I agree that firing the CEO would be a much better solution.

Brinbe

Way to kill your business. lol @ manhandling an actual paying customer and blaming him as well. Fucking hell. Well, I'm never flying them again.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Has there been an explanation as to why they allowed the passengers to board before they figured this shit out? Seems as if the majority of the issues here would have been solved if they had involuntarily denied boarding before actually boarding the plane.

Has there been an explanation as to why they allowed the passengers to board before they figured this shit out? Seems as if the majority of the issues here would have been solved if they had involuntarily denied boarding before actually boarding the plane.

Idiocy. Usually booting is done before gate.

I imagine that usually, someone takes the vouchers. I've done it before when it didn't matter if I got to my destination the next day (think it was going home for the holidays, it was the difference between Dec. 21 and Dec. 22 or something like that). Got put up at a really nice hotel for free, and got $450 worth of plane tickets. Took a free trip later that year. Totally worth it.

How does nobody on that flight take that $800 offer?

Overbooking is the biggest cancer of the airline industry, and the biggest example of capitalism at work. The worst part about it is that there is no accountability on the part of the company that overbooked the flight in the first place. No amount of fancy analytics will accurately predict which flights will have no-shows at a particular point in time, and it's about goddamn time that this practice is illegal. Wanna make money? Find a better way instead of screwing people over.

I imagine that usually, someone takes the vouchers. I've done it before when it didn't matter if I got to my destination the next day (think it was going home for the holidays, it was the difference between Dec. 21 and Dec. 22 or something like that). Got put up at a really nice hotel for free, and got $450 worth of plane tickets. Took a free trip later that year. Totally worth it.

Because not everything is about offers, but rather time. Do you think everyone has time to spare an extra day or so just because of a seat that they rightfully paid for? Plus, is that 800 bucks just a write-off for their next ticket? People have lives to live, just things to consider.

because it's voucher, not cash and people have reasons to not miss the flight. Tbh, dec21 is peak season so you could've gotten way more.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
twitter is a goldmine...

OlK5bU0.jpg

because it's voucher, not cash. Tbh, dec21 is peak season so you could've gotten way more.

Most people fly at some point. Voucher is as good as cash to me.

I didn't realize I could have bargained for more, will try next time lol.

And of course, not everyone has the luxury of being able to take a flight the next day. I just find it surprising that nobody on that full plane was up for it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Sure, but if they know they have 4 employees they need to get on the plane, it's arguably negligent to allow the passengers to board the plane before you sort it out.

It's a hell of a lot easier to prevent someone from getting onto a plane, then it is to have to drag them off once they're on.

99Luffy

Banned
Overbooking is the biggest cancer of the airline industry, and the biggest example of capitalism at work. The worst part about it is that there is no accountability on the part of the company that overbooked the flight in the first place. No amount of fancy analytics will accurately predict which flights will have no-shows at a particular point in time, and it's about goddamn time that this practice is illegal. Wanna make money? Find a better way instead of screwing people over.
I think its because more often then not there is someone who wants to take it. I saw this family of four act like they won the lottery when the airline offered them over $3000 dollars to go on a different flight. And Im pretty sure it was in cash, not these weird vouchers.

Sure, but if they know they have 4 employees they need to get on the plane, it's arguably negligent to allow the passengers to board the plane before you sort it out.

It's a hell of a lot easier to prevent someone from getting onto a plane, then it is to have to drag them off once they're on.

Oh there's definitely no arguing that. It's a horribly shitty practice.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I firmly believe that people have their reasons to book their flights at certain time. Unless they're willing to voluntarily change schedule because of airline screw up, then they should sit at the seats they paid for. Airline screwed up themselves and I would be fighting tooth and nail in this situation.

I sincerely hope the poor guy can sue the shit out of them. What the fuck is their problem? And the CEO's shit apology and two-faced letter only made shit worse.

A Penguin

This guy is almost as bad as the Domino's CEO apologizing for their shitty pizza.

LOL that campaign and CEO has led Domino's on an incredible turnaround believe it or not. Domino's stock has outperformed Facebook, Apple, Amazon, and Google over the last decade. It's pretty amazing.

From what I understand they actually had a real justification for it, as they do have a rule against videos that contain "police brutality"

However, the mods had discretion to enforce the rule or not, and it was poor judgment to remove it after it had already reached #1 on the front page with thousands of upvotes already.

The result of this censorship (perceived or real) was a gigantic backlash that propelled this story to dominate the front page all day and basically fucked the video subreddit lol

I didn't see anything about the mod being a cop though, maybe that's true
Ah okay! That makes more sense. It was just weird since I believe other videos that had brutality weren't taken out but this particular one did at least according to the comments.

KingV

Most people fly at some point. Voucher is as good as cash to me.

I didn't realize I could have bargained for more, will try next time lol.

And of course, not everyone has the luxury of being able to take a flight the next day. I just find it surprising that nobody on that full plane was up for it.

It's really not as good as cash. The one time I got a voucher I couldn't use it the weekend that I wanted to because of "blackout dates". They're worth maybe half of the face value, if that.

Right now, AFAIK the average voluntary bump is probably a voucher worth less than the legally mandated cash payment. If anything positive comes out of this more people may realize what the legal requirement is.

Been all over UK news places this morning.

When mentioned it was because they needed to get staff to somewhere else the trend from the Breakfast Presenters were

"That's Uniteds problem not mine or another paying customers"

HariKari

Been all over UK news places this morning.

When mentioned it was because they needed to get staff to somewhere else the trend from the Breakfast Presenters were

"That's Uniteds problem not mine or another paying customers"

If you consider how much money they'll lose over trying to bump 4 paying passengers for 4 employees they should have routed better to begin with, it's absolutely United's problem. Fuck them.

Foffy

Banned
United should just ask Pepsi for help. Doesn't that solve dissent?

The PR responses from this company in every regard have been hilarious. Talk about not getting reality.

Have they ever, even once, acknowledge the fact they harmed a human being? Not "customer" as that's usually codewords that don't mean shit.

With the technology we have today how do airlines still manage to overbook flights?

overbooking is a surprisingly common in the industry because last minute cancels and no shows happen, and airlines want to fill up as many seats as they can. They have plenty of data that shows them the likelihood of no shows for each flight so they overbook accordingly.

However, in this case, it has nothing to do with overbooking. They are bumping paying customers for other UA employees because they are flight crew for another flight.

Well there was one guy in this topic that needed help understanding the term "volunteer".

The dictionary people are just spreading awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom