• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely wondering when or if Asha/Yara is gonna show up this season, if at all. Everyone knows they're basically not doing the Kingsmoot story, but are they gonna have her disappear from the show altogether?

They can just shove her into the Winterfell plotline too.

She can just replace Victorian!
But Victarion has already been replaced by a throwaway line in Season 4 about how Dany captured a fleet.

-griffy-

Banned
Did a quick check, by the show's "first Monday" last season's thread had almost double the amount of posts. Maybe it's just running out of steam here like you said.

edit: The "no spoiler"s thread is actually outpacing last year's thread. Huh.

The discussion side of the series, at least on this board, is definitely running out of steam from me. I'm still as invested and interested as I ever have been, but the discussion among book readers has become so toxic that I just am not all that interested in discussing the episodes online much anymore. I almost wish it was just a TV show without the baggage of the books, or that I hadn't read the books so I could participate in the other thread, because I love posting with TVGAF for other shows.

I don't know if other people feel similarly to me, or the leak is affecting things, or maybe book-readers are more irritated about the changes and less interested in talking.

She can just replace Victorian!

I'm definitely of the opinion that it makes some amount of sense to just have her take over Victarion's role and send her off to Essos by the end of the season, but there's also the matter of Dany *already* having a fleet of ships and the fact that it's probably easier to find a dragon horn in Essos than it is in Westeros. It's kinda possible that Yara's run out of things to do.
The discussion side of the series, at least on this board, is definitely running out of steam from me. I'm still as invested and interested as I ever have been, but the discussion among book readers has become so toxic that I just am not all that interested in discussing the episodes online much anymore. I almost wish it was just a TV show without the baggage of the books, or that I hadn't read the books so I could participate in the other thread, because I love posting with TVGAF for other shows.

I don't know if other people feel similarly to me, or the leak is affecting things, or maybe book-readers are more irritated about the changes and less interested in talking.
I dunno. I'm a book reader, but not a book chauvinist. I'm super excited to see where this season goes precisely because I don't really care where the ending happens first, I'm just glad to see the story begin moving through (and eventually past) AFFC/ADWD. If GRRM won't give that to me, I'll delightedly take it from Benioff and Weiss.

I'm definitely wondering when or if Asha/Yara is gonna show up this season, if at all. Everyone knows they're basically not doing the Kingsmoot story, but are they gonna have her disappear from the show altogether?

Well I had assumed she would show up to interact with Theon at Winterfell at some point but it would be a bit strange after 'who let the dogs out' last season. Technically, I think Balon is still alive too so it's just a mess. It's the biggest disappointment of a plot in the show to me. Not just based on the books, but how they were introduced and what has become of them since is lame.

Hamlet

Decent enough start to the season and they did a pretty good job with Mance Rayders death. Much more emotional than I was expecting. Still it is a shame to see Ciaran Hinds most likely finished with the show. Great acting from him during his burning scene.
The flashback was also quite good. The casting for young Cersei was perfect.

kirblar

Yeah, that's a big question mark- at a minimum you need to kill off Balon. I suspect they looked over what it would take to do the Eurarrio twist on TV and just decided to let that be a books-only thing.

I'm definitely of the opinion that it makes some amount of sense to just have her take over Victarion's role and send her off to Essos by the end of the season, but there's also the matter of Dany *already* having a fleet of ships and the fact that it's probably easier to find a dragon horn in Essos than it is in Westeros. It's kinda possible that Yara's run out of things to do.
I dunno. I'm a book reader, but not a book chauvinist. I'm super excited to see where this season goes precisely because I don't really care where the ending happens first, I'm just glad to see the story begin moving through (and eventually past) AFFC/ADWD. If GRRM won't give that to me, I'll delightedly take it from Benioff and Weiss.

There's also the part where Euron doesn't exist, so what the hell would a Victarion replacement do when Dany doesn't need ships? I suppose Balon could send her.

Decent enough start to the season and they did a pretty good job with Mance Rayders death. Much more emotional than I was expecting. Still it is a shame to see Ciaran Hinds most likely finished with the show. Great acting from him during his burning scene.
The flashback was also quite good. The casting for young Cersei was perfect.

Ciaran Hinds went out well, but man, what a waste of an excellent actor that was.

Hamlet

Ciaran Hinds went out well, but man, what a waste of an excellent actor that was.

Yep I really wished he appeared more in the show. Such a great actor.
Though I can always choose to blindly believe he's coming back like his book counterpart haha :(

I don't know how Jon doesn't kick his teeth in.

2R64PI5.gif

The only gods he worshipped were honor and duty - Melisandre

foxtrot3d

Banned
Huh? I don't even remember that.

Still, that kid is obnoxious. Poor Ygritte....

Ygritte shot an arrow right through the back of his father's skull in front of the kid and then the Mangar killed his mother and told him that he was going to eat his parents. Because you know the Thenns are cannibals in the show.

I'm gonna bet my left nut
she's gonna get killed this season along with her father
. Then in the next season the show runners will have to start fresh with the Greyjoys; introducing Euron and Vicky

Iksenpets

Banned
. Then in the next season the show runners will have to start fresh with the Greyjoys; introducing Euron and Vicky

I don't see anyway they implausibly spared her last season only to kill her now. That story in season 4 would've been 10x better if they had allowed her to be killed off, so there must be something important they're saving her for. I just have no idea what it is.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Nah ma, I'm convinced Euron and Vicky and all the Greyjoys are gone for good in the show. Yara may show up to have her plot resolved but the Greyjoys at large are done. Afterall, if their only purpose is to bring Dany to Westeros then Daario has already got that covered in the show with those ships he captured. Thus, Euron and Victarion are superfluous fluff to the show.

Kain

Why? It's pretty clear D&D are done with the ironborn. The Kingsmoot in season 6 makes no sense whatsoever as it is too late, and Dany already has her ships so no Vic. And insert Euron=Daario joke in here too.

As for the killed part, maybe, but no one cares about the ironborn in the show. In the books no one cares too, but in there they are the hidden "evil": no ones cares about them until Vic with his ships and Euron with his magic shenanigans start messing things. I don't think George has given us so many chapters on so many ironborn characters for nothing. I don't know the numbers, but I would guess after the Starks and Lannisters the Greyjoys have the most chapters of all, much more then Dornish people for sure.

I just cannot fathom how cutting a badass Viking warrior with a LAVA arm seems like a good thing. Victarion and Euron just seem like characters made for being interesting on TV. And they're getting cut? Eh.

I'm just getting the impression that D&D have the rough plot points for how the story is going to go but the problem is that we're left with their own original material to fill those gaps. And the vast majority of their original content thus far on the show has been pretty unremarkable.

Moff

even after 5 years, many book readers simply dont seem to realize how annoying it is for non-readers when people constantly talk about the books

I would think they should have Balon die just to tie up the leeches, but viewers would have to be reminded who Balon is again and then if you show him die and nothing happens after that..I don't see the point.

bengraven

even after 5 years, many book readers simply dont seem to realize how annoying it is for non-readers when people constantly talk about the books

Even after five years, it's pretty annoying how some people demonize the section of the fanbase who have actually invested 10-15 years in the property beforehand just because they read the books before the watchers heard of them.

The division between fans since the Red Wedding has been one of the worst cases of fan-isms I've seen in 36 years of being a geek.

studyguy

At the very least both parties will basically be on the same playing field very soon. I've gotten tired of the back and forth between both parties. The sooner the show catches up the sooner we can move on. The only people left will be the people actively scouting out Winds snippets.

Moff

Even after five years, it's pretty annoying how some people demonize the section of the fanbase who have actually invested 10-15 years in the property beforehand just because they read the books before the watchers heard of them.

The division between fans since the Red Wedding has been one of the worst cases of fan-isms I've seen in 36 years of being a geek.

as far as I see, only the portion of the book readers who intentionally and unintentionally spoil the fun of non-readers are demonized, and they deserve it.

Ironically the people who made them cut the Iron Islands are now the ones who want the show to go on longer, so maybe later...?

Is there any reason to believe that the Iron Islands being cut wasn't D&D's decision? I'm not seeing where you are getting this statement from.

gutshot

Hibberd pretty much confirmed the Greyjoy bros have been cut from the show in his recent AMA:

I know the Iron Islands/Greyjoys/Victarion subplot from AFFC will not be in this season and there are no plans to do it -- it's just too tangential to the main action.

No plans at this point = not gonna happen

jett

D-Member
Hibberd pretty much confirmed the Greyjoy bros have been cut from the show in his recent AMA:

No plans at this point = not gonna happen

I'm glad they're finally making the big cuts. No Iron Islands, no fAegon, no Dorne dude I already forgot about that should have never fucking existed in ADWD in the first place. Trim that fat, HBO.

Dysun

I'm glad they're finally making the big cuts. No Iron Islands, no fAegon, no Dorne dude I already forgot about that should have never fucking existed in ADWD in the first place. Trim that fat, HBO.

Trim the fat but keep Missandei/Grey Worm romantic undertones and Loras sex scenes

Enosh

victarion isn't fat he is just big boned!

man this is just depressing me now i mean if there was something more interesting than crazy vikings doing crazy shit instead but nooo, we get fucking grey worm and missandei talking about why unsulied visit brothels, and then the fucker says he doesn't know, they are your fucking men, ASK THEM

Kain

wow, moderation works fast

Darkstar, his name is Darkstar, and he is of the night.

Moff

Trim the fat but keep Missandei/Grey Worm romantic undertones and Loras sex scenes

using characters you already have on sets you already have is cheap. and without the occasional romance, sex and violence I guess the show wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is right now. and I think especially with the reception AFFC and ADWD had, its more important than ever to focus on the things that made the show popular, because somehow you have to keep the audience interested during that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom