• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the entire meaning of the sentence changing, sure.

The line in the books is intentionally worded like that to be a "lost in translation" moment that is up for interpretation - switching in "little brother" ends up explicitly meaning Tyrion.

Jaime is also her little brother.

Their track record on making stuff up is so mixed. Sometimes you get Robert/Cersei or Arya/Tywin, sometimes you get Yara and the damn dogs or the S4 mutineer arc.
I don't mind most of their substitutions, but I'm still bitter about "Only Cat" and "I am you writ small." They could have had Lyssa say something like, "You never loved my sister Cat?" and kept it, or had Tyrion say, "I am you written small." "Your sister" and "I am your son" are decidedly inferior. And that interminable beetle speech, too.

Brakke

Banned
Was real worried at that Unsullied first scene they had recast Grey Worm. I wish we got to see any other Unsullied at all, it's weird that Grey Worm speaks for every single one of them. We should have a lieutenant or something by now.

Jon blasting Mance was alright. I wish he had made some stand against someone about how brothers should be executed by the watch or by Winterfell or something. Back up the execution with some duty, as it was it was kind of petulant for him to act completely independently like that. I dunno. He should be a brother of the watch who gets the Wildlings, that execution kind of makes him Wildling first.

Agree with everyone saying it was kind of a slow start. Definitely hype tho.

Trim the fat but keep Missandei/Grey Worm romantic undertones and Loras sex scenes

Yes, those are ridiculous and terrible, but they amount to like 10 minutes over the whole series and we don't really have to pay attention to them. I.e. it's not another big plotline we have to follow.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I honestly think D&D should say fuck it and make Darrio = Euron. They need to set up Danaerys being the main antagonist and I am not sure if they are going to re-visit the Dothraki. Therefor they need another army and what they can do is next season have Darrio reveal who he actually is, go to the Iron Islands, kill Balon finally and attack the Reach or where they need to. It will bring Yara back into the fold to kill Euron and maybe they can pair her up with Gendry and make things fucking interesting!

I'm definitely wondering when or if Asha/Yara is gonna show up this season, if at all. Everyone knows they're basically not doing the Kingsmoot story, but are they gonna have her disappear from the show altogether?

To be fair, her scene in the last season felt like an afterthought. It was pretty much a gory remake of the "run away" scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm really mindfucked on how they're going to resolve Daenerys inability to control her dragons without the Dragon Horn thing.

I always thought it was a pretty obvious thing, he'd bring it to her and she'd have him killed and take it for herself, but maybe it was a red-herring and she doesn't need it to control her dragons. She just needs two other people to ride Viserion and Rheagal I guess, they do make a point that even Aegon could only ride Balerion right?

It just sort of disappoints that they insist on rushing through the story, when they can easily make an extra season or two to include all the 'filler' and get show-watchers in on the conspiracies.

They don't even have the other Stark kids become Wargs, Nymeria hasn't been mentioned since Season 1.

I honestly think D&D should say fuck it and make Darrio = Euron. They need to set up Danaerys being the main antagonist and I am not sure if they are going to re-visit the Dothraki. Therefor they need another army and what they can do is next season have Darrio reveal who he actually is, go to the Iron Islands, kill Balon finally and attack the Reach or where they need to. It will bring Yara back into the fold to kill Euron and maybe they can pair her up with Gendry and make things fucking interesting!

They don't need another army, it's not like this show pays close attention to military matters. Making Daario Eurion besides being completely nonsensical, doesn't really accomplish anything. Daario can do those things as Daario.

bengraven

My god, Stark and Lannister!

Bran and Myrcella may have started dating.

as far as I see, only the portion of the book readers who intentionally and unintentionally spoil the fun of non-readers are demonized, and they deserve it.

I wish, but every time I see it, it's usually remarked at all readers.

Is there any reason to believe that the Iron Islands being cut wasn't D&D's decision? I'm not seeing where you are getting this statement from.

I believe it was Entertainment Weekly where this started.

asked the producers last season if they were doing Dorne and Iron Islands in season 5. They said they were doing one of them. Later they announced they were doing Dorne.

Brakke

Banned
They don't need another army, it's not like this show pays close attention to military matters. Making Daario Eurion besides being completely nonsensical, doesn't really accomplish anything. Daario can do those things as Daario.

Daario = Euron makes more sense in the show since they haven't shown Euron we wouldn't need a teleporter to make it happen.

Still pretty dumb though. Why should Dany be allying herself with rapers and basically slavers?

Drazgul

That would suck, simply because the actor's not fit for Euron's boots at all.

Really starting to get pissed off at all these cuts and eliminated characters, they better not ditch the Rattleshirt switcheroo too (if it turns out to be Tormund instead, that's acceptable at least).

Daario = Euron makes more sense in the show since they haven't shown Euron we wouldn't need a teleporter to make it happen.

Still pretty dumb though. Why should Dany be allying herself with rapers and basically slavers?

I just don't see the point. If you need someone to betray Dany or have a magical horn, you don't need to have that character have a fake identity and really be some completely other character that no one knows anything about. If they want Daario to take on some other roles, ok, but the secret identity part would add nothing but unnecessary complexity.

gutshot

So did Bran just hang out on set/at the studios even though he wasn't in the season at all, or did he covertly actually shoot some stuff for late in the season? Otherwise how did they even meet and get close when he's supposed to be completely MIA from the show this season?

If you scroll down her timeline a bit more you'll see it looks like they met at the S5 premiere.

Really starting to get pissed off at all these cuts and eliminated characters, they better not ditch the Rattleshirt switcheroo too (if it turns out to be Tormund instead, that's acceptable at least).

There's almost no chance they're doing it, Mance is dead.

The show was bursting at the seems as it is, not sure how or why people thought they would support George's huge expansion of characters and isolated narratives in Feast and Dance.

bengraven

So did Bran just hang out on set/at the studios even though he wasn't in the season at all, or did he covertly actually shoot some stuff for late in the season? Otherwise how did they even meet and get close when he's supposed to be completely MIA from the show this season?

From reading her Twitter like a creepy 36 year old I am it looks like they met at the premiere in March (or some such kind of event) and went on a date this weekend.

You don't wear a little black dress with a lacy undershirt/bra for some random dude you're going sight seeing with.

Now Bran, don't use WeirNet to get all weir-d on us. Girls need distance; respect her space and don't stalk her.

but... why would you do that tho?

As the creepy old guy who brought it to his attention, I just like meet-cute situations. I'm secretly one of those shipping teenage fangirls underneath these 100 extra pounds and abnormal hair.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Seriously, why do you people even care?

They cut Stoneheart, Aegon, the Greyjoy, both interesting Martell characters, and you actually think they're going to keep Mance alive? Why?

Drazgul

Seriously, why do you people even care?

They cut Stoneheart, Aegon, the Greyjoy, both interesting Martell characters, and you actually think they're going to keep Mance alive? Why?

Mance as a character? You're right, not as interesting as some of the ones you mentioned. But Ciaran Hinds brought some sorely needed quality acting into the show, a lot of the cast are mediocre actors at best - it's a disservice to the show to just dump him like that.

Brakke

Banned
Things Ciarian Hinds being a good actor means for his performance in the show:

- when Jon told him he'd burn in this ep, he got a little twitch around his eye, that was cool
-

kirblar

That's how you have to do it if you do it on the show - you can't get away with the book's "surprise the killer is also this other guy!" surprise because it's a visual medium. The magical warlock boats would also be an eyeroll on the more grounded show.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yeah probably. I am honestly just wanting season 6 at this point.

Drazgul

Things Ciarian Hinds being a good actor means for his performance in the show:

- when Jon told him he'd burn in this ep, he got a little twitch around his eye, that was cool
-

:p

A good actor can elevate the story and work with very little, whereas a poor actor can often do the opposite. Dany's scenes might not be as insufferable if they had cast a good actress for the role.

bengraven

You know, book readers: Mance's death, Jaime's new direction, the Sansa thing, all the changes really, I think are going to actually be a GREAT reason to read the next two books.

Since we know that Martin started his completely different it will be fun to see how he ends his. Especially since he is finding twists in his work for characters who are not on the show.

From not creeping twitter at all it looks like he dated both Myrcellas in april?
https://twitter.com/Aimee_P_R/status/585087722223755265

Oh my god, is he one of those....nice guys who actually can befriend girls?

bengraven

Ciaran Hinds will be back in episode 5 in the role of Mr. Stoneheart.

qZthT.gif

Paganmoon

Pretty uneventful episode, could explain why there isn't much discussion here, as there isn't much to discuss.

And where the hell was Arya? Next episode better start with her arriving in Bravos.

gutshot

Pretty uneventful episode, could explain why there isn't much discussion here, as there isn't much to discuss.

And where the hell was Arya? Next episode better start with her arriving in Bravos.

Pretty weird that her scene was the final scene last year and then she didn't even show up in the premiere episode this year. Has that happened before?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That's because absolutely nothing has come of it in the books and presumably never will. General good writing practice is to eliminate it if it's not necessary.

It is totally necessary, even if Arya gets rid of Needle she's still Arya Stark if she has those wolf dreams.

It shows there is a sort of magical barrier in the Wall when Jon can't 'feel' ghost when they're on separate sides of the wall, and he wargs into ghost when he gets stabbed.

Besides the fact that things don't always have to serve the plot 100% to be included, some things can just be there because they're cool.

-griffy-

Banned
I just realized something.

Will we even need this thread in season 7?

I think it makes sense to have separate threads for the entire series, since people can freely talk about anything in the books here going back to book one, and since there are so many alterations/omissions (not to mention some things simply being reordered and reintroduced much later) in the show it would be easy to spoil the books, even the released books, for people who haven't read them and want to at some point. It's not only been about spoiling future events that the show may tackle.

So if you have one thread for book readers and non book readers, how do you deal with that now? Do you spoil any book talk that didn't happen in the show? Like, if the show never tackles Lady Stoneheart, it wouldn't make sense to be able to openly talk about that in a thread about the TV show since it's such a huge twist in the books. It seems easier to keep two threads going.

bengraven

On I'm sure we still will but it's kind of silly. Somehow I don't think they will throw in Stoneheart or Aegon. "You mean there was aVictarion two books ago!? Argh spoilers even though he will never show up and I will never read the books..."

Hahaha holy shit. You may be right. Let the OT subtitling commence.

Going to be three to five years until Spring when 2017 rolls around and so everything that happens will be from the last part of that book so why would TeeVees cry about what HAD happened for Bookees?

Winds of Winter |OT| No Show Spoilers

It's not even funny because it's so true.

Well I did laugh...

Moff

by 2023, the people who still are interested in reading winds of winter might just as well discuss it in the ASOIAF thread in the community section

Brakke

Banned

She's in the preview for next ep.

Are those fair game? I watch on HBO Go, I don't know if they get broadcast after the ep?

Enosh

Are those fair game? I watch on HBO Go, I don't know if they get broadcast after the ep?
iirc preview stuff is to be put in spoiler text since not everyone watches those, but not sure if "main character shows up" falls under those rules ^^

bengraven

by 2023, the people who still are interested in reading winds of winter might just as well discuss it in the ASOIAF thread in the community section

Show people gonna be like "oh you don't know what happens to Theon after Stannis arrives at Winterfell? Grinchgrin.gif"

Then showing up at the midnight launch of Spring, screaming out "Theon dies Jon dies Dany dies Stannis is king Tyrion is crippled that's for smiling at our tears during the red wedding"

NeoGiff

Ugh.

I was really looking forward to discussing GoT on GAF for the first time, but now the leak has completely fucked me. Any bit of plot/character references I mention that could allude in even the slightest way to the next three episodes may be seen as me talking about the content of the leaks... when I actually wouldn't be.

Might have to bow out for a few weeks.

gutshot

Ugh.

I was really looking forward to discussing GoT on GAF for the first time, but now the leak has completely fucked me. Any bit of plot/character references I mention that could allude in even the slightest way to the next three episodes may be seen as me talking about the content of the leaks... when I actually wouldn't be.

Might have to bow out for a few weeks.

Did you get the screeners too? I thought only Sue got them. Or are you just referring to knowing stuff due to filming leaks and whatnot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom