• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
I stumble in barely remembering anything about anything and you are engaged in a debate over high Valyrian? Damn.

There was a rather conspicuous absence or two from tonight's episode. One, where's Jorah? I would have expected at least an eye roll or some bristling as it were at the return of the boy toy, is he away on a knight errant or something? Since Varys is to purportedly accompany Tyrion, I wonder if the Jorah/Tyrion companionship bit is scrapped. Or maybe Varys has to scurry back to King's Landing? I doubt they flat out kill him on the way. Two, where's the crippled Stark boy? Brianne had an appearance doing basically nothing, but nothing from the world of the woodland creatures and crows? Not even in the preview for the next week's episode.

I thought the premier was like a 7/10. It felt they were mostly reintroducing everyone and establishing where things stand. I hope there are some real surprises in store this season.

Jorah? Dany banished him last season. And Bran isn't in the season at all.

Forkball

I love that Cersei's arc this season opened with her going on a walk towards the Sept of Baelor, surrounded by observers.

Very thematically appropriate, considering what her final scene will likely be.
But I thought her final scene would be watching the Cleganebowl.

I thought it was a very good episode. These things always go by so quickly. Some people are complaining that it wasn't very eventful, but it establishes a lot of the core conflicts this season: Dany trying to control Meereen and her dragons, Tyrion traveling to meet Dany, LC election and Stannis' effect on the Wall, people reacting to Tywin's death, Sparrows moving into KL, Brienne searching for a maid of three and ten etc.

I think Mance is certainly dead. For one, we have no idea if they are even doing the Pink Letter plotline, and if they are it could easily be modified to just focus on the battle at Winterfell and calling out Jon Snow. Also in the book, he was screaming and renouncing his kingship (as it was really Rattleshirt), but here he tried to attempt to take it bravely.

X-Frame

I saw on Reddit that last night was the first time Rhaegal and Viserion were named in the show. Is that true? Why do I feel like Dany named all 3 when they were born, at the beginning of S2?

TTG

Jorah? Dany banished him last season. And Bran isn't in the season at all.

Jorah is already shunned and Bran is on ice? Huh, so much for for that. With Bran gone, what potentially revelatory stuff do we have to look forward to?

Just think how much better that episode would have been if we had the Kingsmoot too :(

Fucking right. Would have added some much needed excitement.

Forkball

Now for the best part of the week, tumblr pics and AngryGOTFan tweets.

tumblr_nmq8b3Kbua1s2791bo1_250.gif

tumblr_nmqgpag55S1spao6ho3_r1_250.gif

tumblr_nmqbu0ZQBZ1s5m21go1_250.gif

AngryGoTFan @AngryGoTFan · 11h 11 hours ago

PREVIOUSLY: GARBAGE

TONIGHTS EPISODE OF #GAMEOFTHRONES BROUGHT TO YOU BY http://FANFICTION.NET

IF TYRION WAS IN THERE LONG ENOUGH TO GROW A LUMBERJACK BEARD WHY IS TYWINS BODY STILL COMPLETELY INTACT?!?! #GAMEOFTHRONES

I SEE THE ROCK IS AN UNSULLIED NOW

REMEMBER WHEN LORAS LOVED RENLY? REMEMBER THAT? DO YOU EVEN CARE

STANNIS EXECUTES CRIMINALS NOT PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE HE ISNT DANY!!!

To be fair the Loras stuff has pissed me right off.

Was it really that bad though? Maybe the writers felt he would move on?
Or they were trying to get "progressive" points by showing gay sex?
Or maybe they just didn't care that Loras is kind of a one-man kinda guy?

Honestly I'm mostly watching for Arya & Tyrion at this point. Where do whores go?

It would have been immeasurably worse. Lots of shouting with characters we don't know or care about.

Of all of AFFC's meanders and indulgences, it's the Ironborn stuff that I'm most glad is gone.

But that also means no Victarion. Don't they want awesome pirates? : )

Just think how much better that episode would have been if we had the Kingsmoot too :(

It would have been immeasurably worse. Lots of shouting with characters we don't know or care about.

Of all of AFFC's meanders and indulgences, it's the Ironborn stuff that I'm most glad is gone.

Victarion is not an "awesome pirate". He's a tedious non-entity, and no amount of lava arms will convince me otherwise.

ZeroRay

Loras' entire character in the show is defined by his sexuality. While it was rather not so well hidden in the books, at least he has more depth and characteristics that define him with a lot less screen time (text time?) in the books.

This thread seems to be less active than previous years, the other one is actually getting more posts. Is the fear of the show spoiling the books real? :p

You are now experiencing what it's like to watch anime
The Manga takes too long to write so the anime writers either stuff it with filler or make up their own stories based on what the Manga writer may have told lies in the future.

We will most likely get the latter but beware of beach episodes and the one where Jon Snow finally gets to know one thing... how to drive!

Victarion is not an "awesome pirate". He's a tedious non-entity, and no amount of lava arms will convince me otherwise.

Sure book Vicatrion is quite bleh but the show obviously would have exaggerated the one or two cool aspects he had

bengraven

Kind of bland, got to admit. Well done of course, but not a great opener. It was a lot of talking.

It's funny because nothing went "beyond the books". Everything that progressed was going in a different direction than the books.

I would say it's very safe for readers to watch the show since the books are going to be radically different and feature more characters, more stories, more battles, etc, if this is the direction we're going.

Was it really that bad though? Maybe the writers felt he would move on?
Or they were trying to get "progressive" points by showing gay sex?
Or maybe they just didn't care that Loras is kind of a one-man kinda guy?

Honestly I'm mostly watching for Arya & Tyrion at this point. Where do whores go?

Maybe he'll get pinged by the Sparrows instead of going to Dragonstone. I suppose DS doesn't make much sense for the show since most people will have forgotten about where Stannis came from and it wouldn't drive the story forward. Loras can get mutilated in KL, maybe by the Sparrows. I'm thinking we're getting a set up that BOTH siblings are going to get theirs by the church.

Apparently they had a choice between Dorne and the Iron Islands and Dorne was either easier or more important to the plot. I'm guessing the former.

Maybe he'll get pinged by the Sparrows instead of going to Dragonstone. I suppose DS doesn't make much sense for the show since most people will have forgotten about where Stannis came from and it wouldn't drive the story forward. Loras can get mutilated in KL, maybe by the Sparrows. I'm thinking we're getting a set up that BOTH siblings are going to get theirs by the church.

Apparently they had a choice between Dorne and the Iron Islands and Dorne was either easier or more important to the plot. I'm guessing the former.

Good point about the Sparrows.Dorne was obviously the easiest and best choice after the loving response Oberyn's character got.
That is probably why they elected to make the Sand Sisters "cooler" than they already were. They want Oberyn 2.0

bengraven

Good point about the Sparrows.Dorne was obviously the easiest and best choice after the loving response Oberyn's character got.
That is probably why they elected to make the Sand Sisters "cooler" than they already were. They want Oberyn 2.0

And much like how GRRM created Darkstar to replace Oberyn, they look really corny.

eot

Banned
No, that would be "YOUR little brother". "Little brother" could still mean whoever. If valonqar means "little brother" than the meaning of the sentence doesn't change one iota from "the valonqar will kill you" to "the little brother will kill you".

I don't agree, I think saying "the little brother" makes it sound like some little brother other than her own, even if it technically could be that. Being vague is kind of the whole point, Cercei takes it to mean something it probably doesn't.

bengraven

There's not enough time in a season to waste it with the iron islands. That's just reality.

I think there's already so many viewpoints that it would be overcrowding.

Plus ships are expensive. And for what? Even in the books it's like nothing is happening that can't be done off screen as it's being done on the show - the raiding, etc. I have a feeling Euron is going to be another Quentyn anyway...

Or Daario.

jett

D-Member
I don't agree, I think saying "the little brother" makes it sound like some little brother other than her own, even if it technically could be that. Being vague is kind of the whole point, Cercei takes it to mean something it probably doesn't.

Technically Jaime is her little brother too. SPOILER!

They could just cut Damphair, Vic is awesome.

Euron we already have him so it's ok.

Good ol' Daario.

Massa

I thought the reason for doing the prophecy was to set up the Cersei vs Margaery plot this season, no point in mentioning the Tyrion stuff when that already peaked last season and her hate for him had already been well established in a lot of scenes.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This show looks so fucking good. The picture quality in the premiere was ridiculous.

Anjelus_

Ever since season 2, the show has had serious issues juggling its storylines in a coherent manner. S4 had some glaring structural flaws I just couldn't stand that were related to that.

Honestly though, I notice I'm not much of a fan of the show anymore and my interest is lessening the more it becomes its own entity rather than an adaptation. I fast forwarded parts of the ep I wasn't interested in (which was a fair amount), but I still like coming here and reading about what changes they're making for S5 since I'm interested in whether they can successfully create their own compelling narrative without having the book to fall back on.

Their track record on making stuff up is so mixed. Sometimes you get Robert/Cersei or Arya/Tywin, sometimes you get Yara and the damn dogs or the S4 mutineer arc.

Ever since season 2, the show has had serious issues juggling its storylines in a coherent manner. S4 had some glaring structural flaws I just couldn't stand that were related to that.

This is true if you keep thinking about the way the book does it.

If you haven't read the books or simply imagine that this will be a whole new thing now, it's just fine.

Anjelus_

This is true if you keep thinking about the way the book does it.

If you haven't read the books or simply imagine that this will be a whole new thing now, it's just fine.

Is it though? I mean, look at S4's Battle of the Wall and how out of place that feels with the rest of the season. They stretch themselves so thin on certain plotlines and then the payoff is lackluster, even when taking the show on its own terms. My girlfriend hasn't read the books and even she feels it.

I understand -why- they're limited to 10 episodes, but it's a really limited format and it shows. You need to essentially have no extraneous material in this kind of format. For example, don't have Yara's pointless rescue and focus more on setting up your big battle sequence. The combination of only having 10 episodes to work with and not having enough time to properly script, edit, and revise what doesn't work is clear as day to me.

Edit: I just remembered another show change I really liked, which was Brienne vs Hound. That was good stuff. But then there's Grey Worm and Missande and Ross way back wheni and it's like... why??? You have such little time for your awesome scenes and characters and story arcs, why, why, why????

This thread seems to be less active than previous years, the other one is actually getting more posts. Is the fear of the show spoiling the books real? :p
I haven't gone back and checked the posts per day or anything like that yet, but both threads seem a lot less active this year, and that was even before Saturday's events. I'm curious to see what the numbers look like once HBO releases either the cumulative or the same day tallies. Just about every show starts to lose momentum at some point, but GAF post counts don't always correlate to ratings.

jett

D-Member
I haven't gone back and checked the posts per day or anything like that yet, but both threads seem a lot less active this year, and that was even before Saturday's events. I'm curious to see what the numbers look like once HBO releases either the cumulative or the same day tallies. Just about every show starts to lose momentum at some point, but GAF post counts don't always correlate to ratings.

Did a quick check, by the show's "first Monday" last season's thread had almost double the amount of posts. Maybe it's just running out of steam here like you said.

edit: The "no spoiler"s thread is actually outpacing last year's thread. Huh.

Moff

maybe there are so few posts because it was really a pretty boring episode with few deviations or actually anything we didnt already know about because of casting news or the trailers. I do want to say that I am very happy to see kevan again.

kirblar

Did a quick check, by the show's "first Monday" last season's thread had almost double the amount of posts. Maybe it's just running out of steam here like you said.

edit: The "no spoiler"s thread is actually outpacing last year's thread. Huh.
I mean, seriously? 4 episodes leaked.

Anjelus_

Well, I know for myself, I was pretty turned off by the direction Season 4 went in with the exception of a few great scenes here and there. And I'm a pretty moderate, accepting guy when it comes to show changes, so I'm probably not the only one that was put off. I like the show as an adaptation of GRRM's work, you know what I mean? The less it becomes that and the more it becomes D&D's creation, the more steam it loses for me personally.

Ciaran Hinds' performance in this ep was wonderful though. He was criminally underused in the whole series. I'm certain that was the last we'll see of him, there was absolutely no indication whatsoever they'd be using the glamour plot. He should've at least broken down and begged for mercy were that the case, but nope. It kinda sucks. Not because "I want more Mance, whoo," although his scenes in late Dance with Dragons are amazing, but because Ciaran played him to perfection and we hardly got to spend any time with him.

Edit: And yes, I think the leak has something to do with it. A lot of people have already watched and are reticent of about talking about what they've seen for fear of the ban hammer. No fear on my account though, I'm just fine waiting on HBO Go. If people can't wait a weeks for a new ep I don't know how it is they're waiting years for the new book.

Kyougar

maybe its an effect of the leaks. People who want to discuss all 4 episodes would want a place where they could do that. There is no "hype for episode 2" for someone who has seen all 4 episodes. So this person wouldnt post here.

Back to Episode 1.

About Jon's Arrow to the heart Moment: I get it that he couldnt order the Rangers to do the shot, because he wasnt the highest ranking Watcher there. So he had to do it himself.
But what I dont get is, why he didnt state, it was for the Watch, for the crime of deserting. Mance even said it was his home before, so the viewers had that connection (before someone takes a jab at the unsullied for not getting 90% of the plot everytime)

I think it's mostly because the show has gotten insanely popular and I'd wager a rather majority has not, and will not read the books. So the non-reader thread was bound to grow as more people catch on. And for the book readers decline it's partly a mix of some people staying out to avoid spoilers for the books, and other people whose interest in the show has waned and just aren't posting as much any more. Also book readers going to the other thread and getting banned for misbehaving.

I don't think the leak would have much impact on discussion in the thread, but it's all just random speculation.

edit: And again, Maggy the Frog was hot. Love you girl from Last of the Mohicans.

With the leak, talk and speculation could earn you a ban if you speculate about something and it turns out true. I'm not taking any chances and I'm not posting at all until the episode has aired and I don't want to speculate much.

I really don't know if I like where Sansa seems to be headed based on trailers and this episode. I don't see anything but major risks involved with actually putting her at Winterfell.

They would need a HUGE payoff to justify it....like Sansa cutting Ransey's throat mid-consumation, which would be kind of messed up.

Sansa, Brienne, and Jamie all have plots that I don't think are going to move the story forward much at all this year. I expect all of their content to just be aimless for half the season and then rush to some kind of cliffhanger or resolution. That's kind of the way I feel about the books right now as well. Too many plots to resolve.

This episode also give me the impression that Sam isn't going to be doing much at all any more but react to events. Even if we aren't going to see oldtown, they should have just moved him away for a season and come back a maester.....something. His development is basically going to end and that's sad.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone else commented on how similar Sophie Turner looked to Michelle Fairley?

I'm definitely wondering when or if Asha/Yara is gonna show up this season, if at all. Everyone knows they're basically not doing the Kingsmoot story, but are they gonna have her disappear from the show altogether?

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone else commented on how similar Sophie Turner looked to Michelle Fairley?

Yeah, I definitely thought that while I was watching it.

I'm definitely wondering when or if Asha/Yara is gonna show up this season, if at all. Everyone knows they're basically not doing the Kingsmoot story, but are they gonna have her disappear from the show altogether?

I'm betting she doesn't show this season, but will probably make an appearance somewhere down the road but her role in the overall story will be minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom