• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstevens

Just starting to get into podcosts.. Any must listen to GoT ones? Preferably one that talks books too or even mostly. I'd like to go back and listen to some discussions from the beginning.

Arkanius

what are the chances of book Roose being as incredibly short-sighted and naive as the show counterpart?

Book Roose is a complete different beast. Even Ramsay.
Don't know honestly, hope not. Roose and Stannis were botched in the series in my opinion.

Kozak

Banned
Really? I enjoyed parts of the Hound and Arya's interactions but that was one of the dumbest scenes.

I think someone else here said it best. That was the scene where Maise stopped being Arya and where she became Maise Williams in a medieval setting.

(But it actually happened a lot earlier than that tbh. Arya was making jokes and laughing like a goofball just after the Red Wedding in season 4. It was off-putting. Book Arya actually behaved like a human being and fell into a deep depression. )

I wasn't referring to the scene haha. Just the shot. They look like funny travel buddies.

Anything could happen on the show. Lets see :)

Book Roose is a complete different beast. Even Ramsay.
Don't know honestly, hope not. Roose and Stannis were botched in the series in my opinion.

I felt they nailed early interpretations but they brought their downfall way too soon (probz due to time constraints).

yqro8cmq2913iaazn6zt.gif
Loved this scene

Reading a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms for the first time and this is brilliant. I can't put it down. Not sure if I want HBO to get their hands on it come GoT's finish.
On one hand, it'd adapt waaaaay better than GoT with it's more simple structure and less characters. On the other, I think I could only stomach so many dick jokes about Dunk and his height.

Imagine what they'd do with Egg.

Gigglepoo

Just starting to get into podcosts.. Any must listen to GoT ones? Preferably one that talks books too or even mostly. I'd like to go back and listen to some discussions from the beginning.

Radio Westeros and goes in-depth on one topic or character (Battle of Fire, Knighthood, Littlefinger, etc). It's as well-researched and smartly produced as any A Song of Ice and Fire podcast I've found. Excellent stuff.

History of Westros focuses on how events from the past can be mirrored in the present. Meticulously researched though not quite as tight of a production as the former. Still excellent, though.

A Storm of Spoilers is great if you want a more comedic podcast that focuses on the show (with insight from the books) and isn't scared to "spoil" any details they've learned about upcoming episodes.

mstevens

Radio Westeros and goes in-depth on one topic or character (Battle of Fire, Knighthood, Littlefinger, etc). It's as well-researched and smartly produced as any A Song of Ice and Fire podcast I've found. Excellent stuff.

History of Westros focuses on how events from the past can be mirrored in the present. Meticulously researched though not quite as tight of a production as the former. Still excellent, though.

A Storm of Spoilers is great if you want a more comedic podcast that focuses on the show (with insight from the books) and isn't scared to "spoil" any details they've learned about upcoming episodes.

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to decide between history of westeros and radio westeros. Are both available all the way back to their first episode on iOS (I'd like to start from the beginning) and do they both cover the books and then also release post show discussion? If they both do that which would you pick if you had to pick one?

Gigglepoo

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to decide between history of westeros and radio westeros. Are both available all the way back to their first episode on iOS (I'd like to start from the beginning) and do they both cover the books and then also release post show discussion? If they both do that which would you pick if you had to pick one?

Radio Westeros is incredible. They analyze every important aspect of a character or event to show exactly how that arc develops. Really fascinating stuff. Their podcast gave me even greater appreciation for what Martin accomplished.

Jaime rushes back to Kings Landing to save Cersei, the only person that matters to him in the world. But because she saved herself he's going to kill her. Makes total sense. Remember what he did to her during Joffrey's funeral, how he never bonded with Myrcella untill seconds before her death? Yeah, he doesn't give a crap about Tommen, The Faith or the Tyrells.

He knows that whatever strategy that led to Cersei being Queen, led to Tommen's death. There is nothing that ties them together anymore.

Two questions from a book reader who follows what happens in the show:

1) is anyone - book and/or show reader - worried that something that initially subverted every expectation we had of the genre slowly going to play out exactly as it traditionally should? Dany and Jon happy and throned, Walkers gone, etc.?

2) I own all five books and AWOIAF. Are the Dunk and Egg stories the only things missing from official GRRM written/canon things? If so, where is the best/easiest place to get all of those?

TWoW not making it out before season seven would just be icing on the cake at this point.

1) is anyone - book and/or show reader - worried that something that initially subverted every expectation we had of the genre slowly going to play out exactly as it traditionally should? Dany and Jon happy and throned, Walkers gone, etc.?

2) I own all five books and AWOIAF. Are the Dunk and Egg stories the only things missing from official GRRM written/canon things? If so, where is the best/easiest place to get all of those?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345533488/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lothar

Banned

That would be incredibly disappointing and it's hard to believe that GRRM would have such a poor predictable ending planned.

Dany being against Jon somehow is what would make the difference from having a lame cliche conclusion to an awesome one.

Gigglepoo

That's how I see the show ending. The books? I still think it will go in a different direction. This past season was as "color within the lines" as fantasy fiction gets.

If Martin can't get TWOW out before S7 there's really no hope for the series. It would suggest he's once again moving backwards, as he did with Dance. How you go from "hmmm I think I can finish this in 5 months" to "nevermind, I was off by two years" after solving the structural problems that plagued the last two books...I don't even want to think about it.

Lothar

Banned
If Martin can't get TWOW out before S7 there's really no hope for the series. It would suggest he's once again moving backwards, as he did with Dance. How you go from "hmmm I think I can finish this in 5 months" to "nevermind, I was off by two years" after solving the structural problems that plagued the last two books...I don't even want to think about it.

Well he's already done "I think I'll be finished in 2 months" followed by "Nevermind I was off by 5 fucking years." So that wouldn't be a big surprise.

I don't expect it'll be out next year. I think now that the show's caught up, he'll think he can take his time now.

Accept the fact as I did that TWOW will not be out before Season 8 and ADOS will either never come out or will be entirely ghostwritten.

Well he's already done "I think I'll be finished in 2 months" followed by "Nevermind I was off by 5 fucking years." So that wouldn't be a big surprise.

I don't expect it'll be out next year. I think now that the show's caught up, he'll think he can take his time now.

He's been "taking his time" since 2000 though...

That's a strange thought. It takes time to create something incredible. There's no arbitrary deadline for how long it takes to write a great novel.

And we've got excellent books because of it. We've seen what happens when you rush through a narrative.

ADWD was an "excellent" book? WTF is this?

Gigglepoo

That's a strange thought. It takes time to create something incredible. There's no arbitrary deadline for how long it takes to write a great novel.

He's been "taking his time" since 2000 though...

And we've got excellent books because of it. We've seen what happens when you rush through a narrative.

Just finished watching the last season (all in a day and a half). Now what's this book/show separation?

Was the last season from the book? Is the show doing it's own stuff now? Will there be two different canons" the books and the shows? How far behind are the books now? Any inclination on how far the books and the show will go? Has the book writer mention a 'final' book? The show is going strong so I don't think HBO announced an end season.

Lothar

Banned
Just finished watching the last season (all in a day and a half). Now what's this book/show separation?

Was the last season from the book? Is the show doing it's own stuff now? Will there be two different canons" the books and the shows? How far behind are the books now? Any inclination on how far the books and the show will go? Has the book writer mention a 'final' book? The show is going strong so I don't think HBO announced an end season.

The last season wasn't from the book. We're still waiting to see who wins between Stannis and Ramsay and if Jon is going to be revived or not in the books.

The show is ending after 2 more small mini seasons. There's just 13 episodes left sadly.

Iksenpets

Banned

It's been discussed before, but the relationship between book and show is very loose at this point. They actually revisited a lot of stuff they had cut from previous books this season, but now even that is all pretty much used up. They seem to know what the ending looks like, and a few certain key character moments, but they're on their own to figure out the path to get from where they are to that end. Show and book are now completely different paths to the same-ish ending. Season 5 and 6 also did a lot to cut off all the minor plot lines that will keep going in the books.

As for how much is left, there are two books remaining, and two mini-seasons of the show left. They're doing 7ish episodes for the last two seasons instead of 10.

I think TWOW will be out before season 7, but what does it ultimately matter? The end of the show comes a year after that, and I can't imagine even the harshest of GRRM critics think he should crank out another 1000+ pages in that time. The show is and always was going to spoil the books. The only people who didn't believe that were fevered book fans and Martin himself, and nobody planned on these mini-seasons either, which I assume will be shot in one go.

Martin isn't lazy. The show didn't have to postpone anything while he wrote episodes, and he works on other projects as well. I personally don't fault him for enjoying his success or watching football. Beyond the one-finger typing and the ancient writing software, I think Martin's main efficiency issue is that he apparently works on each POV arc separately. He rereads (all of?) a character's previous chapters to get the voice back and then writes their entire story. So, it is possible that he has finished completely with Jaime's and Arya's arcs, but has not yet started Jon's or Cercei's. It's one of the reasons that AFFC and ADWD could be easily split up. He also will explore alternate storylines and then trash everything he's written if it doesn't work. Some criticize him not outlining the book in detail and writing from that, but you can read his original plan for the saga and, while I think it would be a fine trilogy, it is a pale comparison to what we've got so far.

Kozak

Banned
who cares

the show and books are very different at this point.

A lot of the stuff in the show will probably never happen in the books.

KahooTs

Not with regards to Dany and Jon, but there will be a lot things that seem obvious but people often say "GRRM wouldn't do that" about. Sandor will destroy Ungregor, Jaime and Brienne will have sex, Arya and Gendry will fall in love and have sex, Tyrion will ride a dragon, Tyrion will become king, Sansa will become queen and the like. The trick was in making people doubt this stuff.

There is the three Dunk and Egg stories.
The World of Ice and Fire.
The Lands of Ice and Fire.
The Rogue Prince.
The Princess and the Queen.

Dunk and Egg stories are brilliant and should be read. TWOIAF is beautifully illustrated but not particularly engaging unless you're after backstory to theorise about the series with. TLOIAF is a map book. The last two are short stories part of a collection from different authors, Dangerous Women and Rogues. They have their moments but are pretty average on the whole, they're for Targaryen fans mostly.

Black_Sun

Not with regards to Dany and Jon, but there will be a lot things that seem obvious but people often say "GRRM wouldn't do that" about. Sandor will destroy Ungregor, Jaime and Brienne will have sex, Arya and Gendry will fall in love and have sex, Tyrion will ride a dragon, Tyrion will become king, Sansa will become queen and the like. The trick was in making people doubt this stuff.

There is the three Dunk and Egg stories.
The World of Ice and Fire.
The Lands of Ice and Fire.
The Rogue Prince.
The Princess and the Queen.

Dunk and Egg stories are brilliant and should be read. TWOIAF is beautifully illustrated but not particularly engaging unless you're after backstory to theorise about the series with. TLOIAF is a map book. The last two are short stories part of a collection from different authors, Dangerous Women and Rogues. They have their moments but are pretty average on the whole, they're for Targaryen fans mostly.

Tyrion will become king? That's ......less likely than the High Sparrow being Howland Reed.

Tyrion will either be dead or Lord of Casterly Rock and Hand of the King at best by the end.

Arya and Gendry getting married is also unlikely. Their relationship is being teased but GRRM said they have separate futures.

Tyrion will become king? That's ......less likely than the High Sparrow being Howland Reed.

Tyrion will either be dead or Lord of Casterly Rock and Hand of the King at best by the end.

Arya and Gendry getting married is also unlikely. Their relationship is being teased but GRRM said they have separate futures.

I think he was talking about the series, in which case yes, everyone will have sex with everyone.

KahooTs

Yeah crazy. I mean if the author was going to do something crazy like make one of the big three and his favourite character king there'd be something around to suggest it. Like him having been named for the colour of royalty, or married to the younger more beautiful queen, or given the king maker for a brother, or a dragon to ride, or have him take an alias like that of the first legendary king of the Faith, or foreshadow him as standing as tall as a king or wearing crowns, or give him historic parallels like Aegon II, Viserys II and the real world parallel of Richard III.

But yeah, people hate him! And that's set in stone, circumstances don't change in stories.

I never said Arya and Gendry will marry.

Black_Sun

Yeah crazy. I mean if the author was going to do something crazy like make one of the big three and his favourite character king there'd be something around to suggest it. Like him having been named for the colour of royalty, or married to the younger more beautiful queen, or given the king maker for a brother, or a dragon to ride, or have him take an alias like that of the first legendary king of the Faith, or foreshadow him as standing as tall as a king or wearing crowns, or give him historic parallels like Aegon II, Viserys II and the real world parallel of Richard III.

But yeah, people hate him! And that's set in stone, circumstances don't change in stories.

I never said Arya and Gendry will marry.

That's a lot of assumptions you're making. We don't know if Sansa is the YMBQ but considering where she's at in the show and the books, she's not. The YMBQ is Daenerys in the show.

Not seeing where Jaime is going to become the kingmaker.

We don't know if he'll ride a dragon. Things are pointing to Bran becoming the third dragon-rider.

Ned Stark is also a parallel to Richard III but he's no king.

Shadows in the series are used as a symbolic short hand for influence. Standing as tall as a king only means that he will have as much influence as any king in contrast to Stannis who is a king but has no shadow (no real influence).

Tyrion's also a villain and him being a king at the end would be a downer ending. Sansa being married to a raping dwarf is not exactly a happy ending for her either. And well her marriage to Tyrion is dissolved in the show so it seems likely it ultimately won't matter to the ending.

There's also a lot of reasons for why no one would accept it. Tyrion is a kin-slayer, more unpopular among the people than even Stannis and he's a dwarf.

Being a favorite character of GRRM's counts for nothing. Its a bad writer who has logic bent around a character because he's his favorite.

Also Arya is only 11 in the books. You can imagine whatever happens afterwards but it's unlikely she's going to have sex with Gendry in the main series.

GorillaJu

Well it's worth mentioning that in Martin's original proposals to the publisher, Bran, Tyrion, Dany, Jon and Arya are the surviving characters at the series' end. So if he doesn't deviate from that basic skeleton too much, you'd have to imagine that Tyrion doesn't actually become king, since you still have characters alive like Dany and Jon who have birth rights to the throne.

Though if Jon says fuck it I don't actually wanna be king, and was warden of the north (in the proposals, he and Arya fall in love), and Tyrion marries Dany, then it could possibly come to pass.

KahooTs

He's neither ending on the throne or surviving the series, but he will be king and Sansa queen, but its a book discussion.

This reads like a fucking onion article. GRRM is full of surprises.

Not much gets past you.

LOL @ multiple people even considering that article is serious... jesus.

"But you learn as you write, and life makes you wiser as well. I remember it was midway through writing A Dance With Dragons when I saw a picture of a horse on a billboard. It was a revelation. Something suddenly clicked in my mind: “Oh, okay,” I thought. “Here is a horse. It doesn’t have a beak. This is what to imagine when I write about horses.”"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom