• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Banned
What makes it Spartacus level? As far as I can see Spartacus had consistent characters, ever entertaining dialogue and a rhythmic pace all over GOT. Actually they even did intrigue better than current GOT.

I have wondered what a Steven DeKnight run Game of Thrones would look like.

To be fair though, while he did a great job with Spartacus, that's nowhere near the kind of unwieldy undertaking that Game of Thrones is.

mantidor

I think the problem with the show is that it sensationalizes the violence. That fight with Rorge, and anything Ramsay does truly feels disgusting. The show equivalent of the Brienne vs Sandor fight was seen as "awesome" and "cool". Sansa feeding Ramsay to his dogs is described as poetic justice by D&D.

I disagree, that fight was brutal and it showed how horrible violence can be, specially because these two characters are actually both looking after Arya, it's tragic and poignant, it feels wrong to root for someone there.

For me the low point of the show was the mutineers raping Krater's daughter/wives, that was straight out of some exploitation b-movie or something, it was awful. Overall though, the show tries to show all this violence as less glorious and more awful and gruesome.

Hazmat

Neither Deadwood nor Rome lived long enough to see themselves "become the villain". Even then, I'd argue Deadwood is remembered more for it's dialogue than any actual narrative excellence and Rome was dullard pageantry at least some of the time.

Game of Thrones is possibly the most complicated TV show to ever air. There are some truly bad bits of writing that are impossible to rationalize away, but there's more good writing than bad. I said it before, I'll say it again - you will only find serious criticism of Game of Thrones - the kind that implies the show isn't well above average - with book readers who take issue with the adaptation. It has near universal critical and audience acclaim outside of circles like this one.

I also think it's unreasonable to set the bar at The Sopranos or The Wire. That's the best TV ever.

First bolded section: You've seen The Wire. You know that this isn't the most complicated show to ever air on TV. Part of me wants to say "bye-bye", but honestly, I'll settle with "It's all in the game."

Second bolded section: Claiming that the only criticism of Game of Thrones comes from upset book readers is strongly misguided. I mean, is it above average? Fuck yeah, in a world of the dreck that comes out of network TV dragging the average down, but is that a star you want to pin on your chest?

And Game of Thrones is in the world to be compared to The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad. You win or you die.

Game Of Thrones is basically what Walking Dead would be if it was on HBO. Lots of automatic Emmys for costumes/sci fi/etc thanks to a very large budget, but ultimately a poorly written/plotted show that is more spectacle than anything else.

Kallor

Game Of Thrones is basically what Walking Dead would be if it was on HBO. Lots of automatic Emmys for costumes/sci fi/etc thanks to a very large budget, but ultimately a poorly written/plotted show that is more spectacle than anything else.

The walking dead is a piece of shit even next to Game of thrones at it worst.

Azzanadra

The walking dead is a piece of shit even next to Game of thrones at it worst.

Nah, the first season of The Walking dead was pretty good. And they do have the occasional amazing episode, that episode in season 4 where

Carol tells Lizzy (?) to look at the flowers before she killed her wrecked me for a week.

But I see your point, they are both "hate watches" for me.

Nah, the first season of The Walking dead was pretty good. And they do have the occasional amazing episode, that episode in season 4 where

Carol tells Lizzy (?) to look at the flowers before she killed her wrecked me for a week.

But I see your point, they are both "hate watches" for me.

Exactly what is a hate watch? I'm curious because when I view something I don't like I stop watching it, so it baffles me that some people can say they hate something yet tune in every week. Why?

Hazmat

Exactly what is a hate watch? I'm curious because when I view something I don't like I stop watching it, so it baffles me that some people can say they hate something yet tune in every week. Why?

So they can complain about it online:

I read The Walking Dead comic.

I hate the TV show The Walking Dead.

I whine about it even after I stop watching, and eventually people say "You can't whine about it anymore, you don't watch it."

I keep watching a show that I hate so I can whine about it online.

That is hate-watching. Some people have more time than they know what to do with.

(The Walking Dead is trash and I gave up on it years ago, time-hate-watch: it's awful)

Azzanadra

Perhaps that's too strong a word. Its more like I need to turn off my brain to enjoy these shows in a popcorn flick sort of way. The only thing with GoT (which is why I prefer it over TWD) is that I at least get the plot points of a book series I am a fan of, because god knows when we will actually get the book.

What makes it Spartacus level? As far as I can see Spartacus had consistent characters, ever entertaining dialogue and a rhythmic pace all over GOT. Actually they even did intrigue better than current GOT.

same for Outlander and Black Sails. these shows are never gonna be as popular as GoT, but they're consistently at a much higher level of quality in just about every way, while also being generally more entertaining

i hope American Gods is on that level too, the cast is looking incredible so far

Turin

Banned
I guess I "hate watched" True Blood up to S6. I was weirdly amused with that show until S7 happened and I just couldn't at that point.

Speevy

Banned
Hate watch is when you resent a show so much that you're looking for it to be bad and so you actively ignore the good.

I say that if you're in either this thread or the other one, you need to be on some level a fan of the show Game of Thrones.

Gigglepoo

The only thing with GoT (which is why I prefer it over TWD) is that I at least get the plot points of a book series I am a fan of, because god knows when we will actually get the book.

George R. R. Martin is an excellent writer but I do think it's a little much calling him "god"

dabig2

Heh, you're right actually. The first bit of S1 was so bad that it's negatively colored my whole perception of the series, but honestly it was great entertainment and fantastic drama through most of its run.

I guess I "hate watched" True Blood up to S6. I was weirdly amused with that show until S7 happened and I just couldn't at that point.

Nah, that's more of a guilty pleasure than a hate watch. I was the same way. Then I watched the first couple episodes of S7 and decided I just couldn't do it anymore.

Cromwell

Banned
same for Outlander and Black Sails. these shows are never gonna be as popular as GoT, but they're consistently at a much higher level of quality in just about every way, while also being generally more entertaining

i hope American Gods is on that level too, the cast is looking incredible so far

Add The Last Kingdom to that list.

Everyone should watch The Last Kingdom. So fucking good, and probably the closest meaningful comparison of show's currently airing to GoT (it's an adaptation of a series of historical fiction books set in the middle ages).

Add The Last Kingdom to that list.

Everyone should watch The Last Kingdom. So fucking good, and probably the closest meaningful comparison of show's currently airing to GoT (it's an adaptation of a series of historical fiction books set in the middle ages).

i really wanted to watch that last year when i saw the thread about it, but never got to it

i guess it got picked up by Netflix, so i'm gonna have to try to make time for it when it goes up there

Kozak

Banned
Soo..

- The Last Kingdom
- Black Sails
- Outlander
- Spartacus

Any other medieval history/fantasy to get me through the downtime?

Cromwell

Banned
Soo..

- The Last Kingdom
- Black Sails
- Outlander
- Spartacus

Any other medieval history/fantasy to get me through the downtime?

After TLK try Vikings. It's not as good but still pretty damn good, and has one of the most impressive siege battles in a show ever towards the end of S3.

i really wanted to watch that last year when i saw the thread about it, but never got to it

i guess it got picked up by Netflix, so i'm gonna have to try to make time for it when it goes up there

Yeah I think they're launching it along with S2 towards the end of the year. Glad that it'll finally get the audience it deserves, I hope they market the fuck out of it because it could be something close to Netflix's own GoT.

Kozak

Banned
After TLK try Vikings. It's not as good but still pretty damn good, and has one of the most impressive siege battles in a show ever towards the end of S3.

One of my favourite shows :) The time jumps in that show would bring this thread into meltdown haha.

Travis Fimmel is a great actor.

Looking forward to S4 resuming.

Actually came through to post something similar.

I enjoy both shows (and think GoT is better), but there are levels to good television.

Cromwell

Banned
One of my favourite shows :) The time jumps in that show would bring this thread into meltdown haha.

Travis Fimmel is a great actor.

Looking forward to S4 resuming.

Fimmel is fucking amazing, just a mesmerizing actor.

If they would have been able to cast him as Euron he'd become a more compelling villain than Ramsay ever was within one scene.

tumblr_o6k2seqy3i1tdy0nco2_500.gif

I also always thought he'd make a badass Victarion but the show clearly isn't going to put him in.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
What about The Bastard Executioner as a show to watch?

;)
You're a horrible person for even making that joke. What if someone actually thought you were serious? Did you even consider the lives you might ruin?

Cromwell

Banned
Uh the last two seasons of TWD have been really good, especially Season 5. They've had low points but the high points have easily matched or beaten the last two seasons of GoT. And if we're talking about individual episodes through it's run, bottle episodes like "Clear" or "Here's Not Here" have been amazing. I wish GoT had the balls to do a bottle episode not centered around a battle. Say what you will about TWD but it appreciates quiet moments, patient character building, and atmosphere. Season 2 was an abomination but it's improved so much since then.

CloudWolf

Neither Deadwood nor Rome lived long enough to see themselves "become the villain". Even then, I'd argue Deadwood is remembered more for it's dialogue than any actual narrative excellence and Rome was dullard pageantry at least some of the time.

Game of Thrones is possibly the most complicated TV show to ever air. There are some truly bad bits of writing that are impossible to rationalize away, but there's more good writing than bad. I said it before, I'll say it again - you will only find serious criticism of Game of Thrones - the kind that implies the show isn't well above average - with book readers who take issue with the adaptation. It has near universal critical and audience acclaim outside of circles like this one.

I also think it's unreasonable to set the bar at The Sopranos or The Wire. That's the best TV ever.
This is not true at all. Narratively and thematically it's pretty straightforward. Shows like The Wire, Six Feet Under and even Arrested Development are way more complicated than Game of Thrones. The thing that makes it seem complicated are the sheer amount of characters and the way the writers have to juggle all those storylines to make sense.

Paganmoon

How so? Wasn't it a take on an adventurer and guy who thinks he's a hero but is actually a dipshit in over his head

Cause it did not grab me, so I didn't not care that he died, I did not think he was a guy who was a hero and failed, he was just a guy who was there, and failed, and I didn't really get the impression you got about him. If that was George's intention, it didn't come across.
If the intention was subverting that trope, I'd say George can learn a thing or two from Joe Abercrombie.

I felt he was more of a throw away character George threw in to have him killed "for the shockz!", and nothing more, so a failure, just like Darkstar was supposed to be this totally awesomely cool brooding guy.

Again, my take on it. Think George has gotten way too much credit for his writing. He might write nice prose at times, but his storytelling is, or at least with the last 2 books, has become, very lacking.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ned being viewed as a hero POV was definitely at the fault of the reader.
Ned was intentionally portrayed as a hero in the original novel. The readers' correctly interpreted that status. It's why his death was so effective.

However, Ned and Quetyn are completely different situations and characters from each other. It's probably more accurate to argue that Quetyn THINKS he's the hero while Ned WAS the hero (even if he didn't think he was either).

Quentyn definitely thought of himself as a hero, for sure, which made it so enjoyable because from the outset you're thinking... This guy is fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom