• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

ZOONAMI

Not precisely, but George was always careful to space out chapters so that stuff that should last longer in-universe doesn't happen too soon from the reader's perspective.

That and you have storylines like Arya's, in which characters take entire books to go from point A to point B in the same continent.

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of willing to just forgive the time traveling shenanigans because of the format. Each season of the show with all the dialog and descriptions of the sets and even some added inner monologue would probably be like sub 100 page novellas. I think not having any scouts though and everyone just always being completely caught off guard is pretty unrealistic. Do we want to have filler episodes of traveling time? I don't think so.

TankUP

There was obviously a large passage of time. We saw Bronn get tasked to help with the harvest. Next time we saw them, not only was the harvest done and packed up, but the gold was already in King's Landing. It's a fudge, but not too bad of one.

They had one at some point though...didn't they?

I mean, didn't house Tyrell show up with an army to confront the high sparrow, until the king came out onto the steps and decreed the sparrow was cool?
They had the biggest army in the realm in season 2. Unfortunately, like the dire wolves, D&D decided to cut them out of the show.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
There are rough estimates but Martin isn't always consistent. Like, Ned's travels during Robert's Rebellion doesn't really add up without a teleporter. But it still takes about a month to travel from King's Landing to Winterfell, for instance.
One month with a slow ass royal caravan.

Gigglepoo

I thought that's just if you're going at a slow pace on purpose, with a huge party accompanying you.

Because A) he didn't pick up the Dorne army on the way from Essos to Dragonstone and B) he didn't directly attack King's Landing because he wanted to starve the common folk in a siege than target the Red Keep directly.

Every Dany failure is a result of Tyrion's terrible advice. Good thing Jorah is coming to take over as general

One month with a slow ass royal caravan.

Good point! And you can get there even faster by boat (like Cat does).

Randdalf

Jaime's totally not dead right? Otherwise why push him off the horse. Tyrion saw him go down there, so it's only logical he goes and gets him rescued. Heck, maybe he gets the old Drowned God treatment. Maybe that's too much to ask.

There was obviously a large passage of time. We saw Bronn get tasked to help with the harvest. Next time we saw them, not only was the harvest done and packed up, but the gold was already in King's Landing. It's a fudge, but not too bad of one.

I don't think the gold was in King's Landing? Aren't they still transporting it, and Mr. Dragon has come along and ruined everything? By my reckoning, Mycroft is going to be catching the next Concorde to Essos, and making a visit to Haldon Halfmaester and his pals.

jfkgoblue

I mean, do we have any real sense of like marching times from place to place even in the books? I don't really remember. Could it just be that the world of westeros, etc, just isn't really that big?
It's over 3000 miles from Dorne to the Wall and 900 miles across at the shortest distance. Winterfell is around 500 miles south of the wall.

Martin said it was similar in size to South America

Slater

Banned
Jaime's totally not dead right? Otherwise why push him off the horse. Tyrion saw him go down there, so it's only logical he goes and gets him rescued. Heck, maybe he gets the old Drowned God treatment. Maybe that's too much to ask.

I don't think the gold was in King's Landing? Aren't they still transporting it, and Mr. Dragon has come along and ruined everything. Mycroft is going to be catching the next Concorde to Essos, and making a visit to Haldon Halfmaester and his pals any minute.

Randall literally says most of the gold is already in KL.

Jesus Christ how can a thread full of people who nitpick everything miss what's directly stated on screen. And then have the gall to mock show only people for not catching things. Ffs

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't think the gold was in King's Landing? Aren't they still transporting it, and Mr. Dragon has come along and ruined everything? By my reckoning, Mycroft is going to be catching the next Concorde to Essos, and making a visit to Haldon Halfmaester and his pals.

Randyll Tarly literally said that all of the gold was already in King's Landing at the start of that scene.

Edit:

Jesus Christ how can a thread full of people who nitpick everything miss what's directly stated on screen. And then have the gall to mock show only people for not catching things. Ffs

I wouldn't be this confrontational, but yeah, this.

ZOONAMI

It wouldn't bother me as much if they weren't using these breakneck-speed travels as plot devices. How is the fact that Euron's fleet can be at both sides of the continent at roughly the same time Tyrion's failure?

Well, I guess couldn't have both iron islands fleets been somewhere near Dorne, and euron didn't take his flagship back to KL just for some prisoner street flogging but just sent his fleet to casterly?

Or yeah there is just a lot of offscreen travel happening.

Randdalf

I didn't catch that line. I thought the reason they were making such a big show about attacking the caravan was because it had important stuff in it.

Speevy

Banned
Cersei's going to buy the one army that hasn't already been decimated or declared for the other side.

Surprise armies are the best kind.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Because A) he didn't pick up the Dorne army on the way from Essos to Dragonstone and B) he didn't directly attack King's Landing because he wanted to starve the common folk in a siege than target the Red Keep directly.

Every Dany failure is a result of Tyrion's terrible advice. Good thing Jorah is coming to take over as general.

I was talking about Robert's trip to visit Ned in the first episode.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
They're the richest family in the realm, no?

Sure. They've been hammering down the fact that Highgarden is where the money's at in Westeros since the first time Margaery appeared in the show.

Since the Tyrells were big financiers for the Lannister efforts over the years - definitely.

Thanks. I guess liquidating the house could feasibly pay off debts, but to me, it landed as like a "possible but really unlikely" scenario.

I didn't catch that line. I thought the reason they were making such a big show about attacking the caravan was because it had important stuff in it.
Explosive foodstuffs.

TankUP

Battle was pretty but didn't mean shit. No named characters die. (Dat plot armor tho) Gold made it to King's Landing.

You'd think all that food being destroyed would be a big deal but somehow I doubt it'll even come up.

jfkgoblue

Battle was pretty but didn't mean shit. No named characters die. (Dat plot armor tho) Gold made it to King's Landing.

You'd think all that food being destroyed would be a big deal but somehow I doubt it'll even come up.
It did mean something, it established just how much power a single dragon can convey on a battlefield.

Speevy

Banned
I think the battle is meant to signify in a single scene that the Lannisters will never attempt to take on Dany directly.

They'll have to alter their tactics.

I mean, since the Unsullied are basically lemmings with spears on this show (except Grey Worm), people can see that Dany is unstoppable in a traditional medieval battle.

Of course, once Euron finds a way to use his navy on the Dothraki those horses are fucked.

ZOONAMI

I think it will. Cersei going to rally the KL masses that DQ destroyed all their food for the winter. Recruit a peasant army, which Dany ain't gonna want to even fight.

The smart play for Dany would honestly be to blockade KL on the land with the dothraki, defensive positions portside with the remainder of her fleet at KL, wait for euron ships to show up, and dragonfire the shit out of his fleet as it approaches. Starve out KL until Cersei starves to death or surrenders. No one will be pissed at Dany because they are all dead. Marry Jon, repopulate KL with Northern houses. Show over, after everyone else uniting to fight night king at wall. Or maybe we do get sad ending all this human drama reults in NK defeating Jon's crew and rolling into the south, kills everyone, analogy for global warming but just the reverse. If GRRM is saying Night walkers are force of nature I wouldn't be surprised if that's what ends up happening in the books. The failure of man to unite to the most important global cause.

honestly based on preview I wouldn't be surprised if this is what Jorah advises,
and all the talk about "controlling" mad queen Dany. She's not really mad, just doing the only thing that makes sense. Killing KL essentially to finally be done with cersei

Speevy

Banned
what's that white walkers?

you want to join with the lannisters?

untitled_1_by_redwire95-d6n74sn.gif

I am curious, why do you think the Night King looks so much different than the other white walkers?

Is it because he is a man created as a white walker via dragonglass to the heart as opposed to by the touch of the night king?

We know it wasn't a fight to the death. It's just more unearned level-jumping from Arya, which has been a bit of a problem for some of us over the last 6-7 episodes. She's gone from disobedient fuckup to master-level assassin/warrior in a very short period of time with next to none of her progress actually playing out on screen.
Or that the Faceless Mem are next level and Arya working with even a fraction of their skill still makes her stand with some of the better warriors

Speevy

Banned
I am curious, why do you think the Night King looks so much different than the other white walkers?

Is it because he is a man created as a white walker via dragonglass to the heart as opposed to by the touch of the night king?

It's the same reason little Sam looks so much different than the other whitewalkers.

Moff

What was the White Walker's motivation again?
Did we ever get a reason really?

according to GRRM, they are supposed to be a force of nature

I just hope we never get a noble reason to save the planet that just requires the death of all humans or something dumb like that

Brakke

Banned
On the show the WW's motivation as created by the Children is "kill all men".

The only true feminazis ever invented.

TTOOLL

Temporal sense, or lack of it, is taking some of the enjoyment from me, I must say. Last episode was crazy in this regard.

bitbydeath

One thing was unbelievable even for GoT is how Arya Stark bested Brienne. She beat the hound and one of the most skilled fighters in all of westoros. Arya shouldn't be able match her in a face to face fight like that. Also I was under the impression faceless men were assassins. And mostly use stealth and deception to fight.

You must have missed last season where she had learned to fight against trained assassins whilst blind, meaning when she fights now she is more honed in on all other senses, she could have killed Brienne in an instant if she wished.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
You must have missed last season where she had learned to fight against trained assassins whilst blind, meaning when she fights now she is more honed in on all other senses, she could have killed Brienne in an instant if she wished.

Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated.

Top Bottom