• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Speevy

Banned
The thing that bothers me most about the idea that Jon and Dany have some instantaneous attraction to each other is that we've seen Dany in two relationships before, first wth Drogo, and second one she actively pursued with Daario. Like, Dany has a type, and it's not Jon. We're supposed to believe that after she was all about Daario she's decided that no actually, she'd like a nice sadboy who's all about duty and whatnot? Jon is just a younger, less creepy Jorah, which is the one guy we have her very clearly on the record not wanting.

And then Dany's not even a redhead for Jon.

Jon: Aye, you have me there. It's clear I don't...

*Targaryen fucking noises*

Faddy

Banned
IIRC the reason Joffrey is a plausible culprit is because both Tyrion and Jaime independently reach these conclusions, with Jaime giving the motive as Joffrey wanting to impress Robert because he overheard him say that Bran should be put of his misery.

The reason I don't find Littelfinger plausible as noted by the posters above is because he would be in Kings Landing and had no access to any of the information- it had to have been someone at Winterfell. Then again this is show canon, but the culprit being Littlefinger seems like a step too far far even D&D.

Unless its a Skullface/Big Boss situation where it turns out he was there the whole time!

It probably is Joffrey but it isn't confirmed in any real way, although George giving us the conclusions of 2 POV characters is going to be as much as we get.

The interesting thing was that when Catelyn asked Littlefinger about the dagger he said it had belonged to him, with Bran he said he didn't know. Along with the "Chaos is a Laddah" callback, it seems Bran knows he is full of shit but doesn't seem interested in doing anything with that info.

Speevy

Banned
A 10k strong elite army is a lot. You also still have Euron and his 1k ships as well.

Whose very presence makes other ships burst into flames.

I would have burned all the Dothraki at sea since they're like the bulk of Dany's fighting force.

Of course you could argue that Euron might be deterred by the approach of a dragon.

Faddy

Banned
The thing that bothers me most about the idea that Jon and Dany have some instantaneous attraction to each other is that we've seen Dany in two relationships before, first wth Drogo, and second one she actively pursued with Daario. Like, Dany has a type, and it's not Jon. We're supposed to believe that after she was all about Daario she's decided that no actually, she'd like a nice sadboy who's all about duty and whatnot? Jon is just a younger, less creepy Jorah, which is the one guy we have her very clearly on the record not wanting.

First off Dany didn't choose Drogo and at the beginning is really scared of him. Second if we indulge your premise that Dany has a type, these were all powerful men and Jon is Kingindanorf so she might be into that.

Artdayne

It probably is Joffrey but it isn't confirmed in any real way, although George giving us the conclusions of 2 POV characters is going to be as much as we get.

The interesting thing was that when Catelyn asked Littlefinger about the dagger he said it had belonged to him, with Bran he said he didn't know. Along with the "Chaos is a Laddah" callback, it seems Bran knows he is full of shit but doesn't seem interested in doing anything with that info.

I think Bran is just so disconnected from others that about the only thing he cares about is stopping the Night King and he doesn't feel any connection to what happened to Bran or the Starks, and he doesn't think Littlefinger is all that relevant to what's happening north of the wall. Bran probably casually drops what he knows about Littlefinger to one of his family members and he'll be screwed.

Betty

Banned
Just catching up but that last battle was beautiful, like something straight out of Lord of the Rings quality, fantastic.

Zolo

I think Bran is just so disconnected from others that about the only thing he cares about is stopping the Night King and he doesn't feel any connection to what happened to Bran or the Starks, and he doesn't think Littlefinger is all that relevant to what's happening north of the wall. Bran probably casually drops what he knows about Littlefinger to one of his family members and he'll be screwed.

Kinda how I feel. Bran obviously feels bad about what happened to his siblings, but at this point, he's seen every person that's starved/burned/stabbed/every other grusome thing.

You're right, they'll call them 30k if they need to. The unsullied are supposed to be elite, in the show they've been nothing but that. They need some BS excuses to keep propping up Cersei so they'll probably be elite.

The unsullied were one of the biggest disappointments for me. I always expect them to be a roman legion on steroids but they delivered nothing in the series. Even the siege of Casterly Rock was lackluster and too simple (although that's understandable).

I mean, being a police force is not what they trained for, but there were many moments that they could have done better.

Funny enough, the closest thing to my vision of the Unsullied were the Lannister in this last episode. The discipline they showed against a dragon and a horde of cavalry was unnatural.

Betty

Banned
You haven't watched Lord of the Rings in a while, have you?

Seriously it was, not on the same scale but I kept thinking of the battle of the Pelennor fields and the dragon reminded me of the Witch King on his Nazgul.

Even the colour felt similar.

To see this massive battle on a television show after we've seen some big set pieces already this season was really good.

We've come a long way from having Tyrion get knocked by a horse just to avoid a battle scene to this.

Iksenpets

Banned
First off Dany didn't choose Drogo and at the beginning is really scared of him. Second if we indulge your premise that Dany has a type, these were all powerful men and Jon is Kingindanorf so she might be into that.

Dany didn't choose Drogo, but she clearly came to love him and he heavily shaped her notions of attractive masculinity. And Daario is hardly powerful. He's a minor mercenary captain. If it was just power she was attracted to, leaving Daario for some noble back in Meereen would've been easy. But she hated that because she was attracted to Drogo and Daario's wild, unrestrained natures, which is not what you're getting with da king in da norf.

ZOONAMI

The unsullied were one of the biggest disappointments for me. I always expect them to be a roman legion on steroids but they delivered nothing in the series. Even the siege of Casterly Rock was lackluster and too simple (although that's understandable).

I mean, being a police force is not what they trained for, but there were many moments that they could have done better.

Funny enough, the closest thing to my vision of the Unsullied were the Lannister in this last episode. The discipline they showed against a dragon and a horde of cavalry was unnatural.

Don't the unsullied not even make any sense as an elite fighting source? Chopping their balls offs as children would kill their testosterone production, and honestly the unsullied to look kind of scrawny on the show. I get the whole discipline thing but honestly I've always thought the unsullied don't even make sense.

Dany didn't choose Drogo, but she clearly came to love him and he heavily shaped her notions of attractive masculinity. And Daario is hardly powerful. He's a minor mercenary captain. If it was just power she was attracted to, leaving Daario for some noble back in Meereen would've been easy. But she hated that because she was attracted to Drogo and Daario's wild, unrestrained natures, which is not what you're getting with da king in da norf.

maybe she is getting turned on by jon's refusal to kneel

jfkgoblue

Fan service is a powerful attraction for both of them.

So far this season has been pure fan service, so I fully expect them to fuck by the end of the season, no matter how dumb it will be.

Don't the unsullied not even make any sense as an elite fighting source? Chopping their balls offs as children would kill their testosterone production, and honestly the unsullied to look kind of scrawny on the show. I get the whole discipline thing but honestly I've always thought the unsullied don't even make sense.

They mention they are weaker because of their... removals, but I'm not sure how much that would compromise the fighting effectiveness of a man, especially in formation fighting.

But fighting and war overall in asoiaf are as fantastical as the whitewalkers or dragons. I mean, maybe not as fantastical, but it doesn't have a clear and grounded logic.

Faddy

Banned

Those Mereenese nobles were all simpering fools. She wants Jon more every time he refuses to bend the knee, that is why she keeps asking.

Speevy

Banned
Fan service is a powerful attraction for both of them.

So far this season has been pure fan service, so I fully expect them to fuck by the end of the season, no matter how dumb it will be.

You are accused of high treason, Jon Snow. I sentence you to sex.

jfkgoblue

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it mentioned in ADWD that the Dothraki want no part in dealing with the Golden Company? Like they are supposed to be far and away better than any other fighting force.

Apt101

I love how Bronn had the Dothraki on him, but then he finds the SECRET WEAPON, kills one of them, unveils it on the whole battlefield, and suddenly he cleared the stage flag and it becomes a QTE where he no longer has to worry about being ambushed while he slowly waits and aims.

Yea it was stupid but also fucking awesome and Bronn shooting a dragon so all is forgiven.

Speevy

Banned
The bulk of Lannister/Tarly army made it to Kings Landing along with the golds.

This story changes every time someone else tells it.

The gold arrived safely through the gate. The Lannister forces however were put into an awkward position, having spread too thin.

So to hear the show tell it, that's why the force was significantly smaller than what you saw marching on Highgarden.

This serves two purposes. One, it makes for fewer soldiers for Dany to kill and saves some effects time. Two, it gives Cersei a Lannister army once they it to either strike back at or join Dany.

JakeD

Plenty of dragons have been killed throughout Westerosi history though, I mean one of Aegon's dragons got killed by a ballista bolt to the eye and the smallfolk butchered 5 in one night. A scene or 2 explaining why their not invulnerable would be better.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with a dragon being vulnerable or even getting taken out. I just mean in terms of storytelling, it was a little unsatisfactory for the cersei side to have a well functioning solution before they even faced one in battle.

Turin

Banned
Don't stop at the drawings, Jon! There's no telling what else is in that in that amazing Dragonstone cave. He might even find Aladdin's lamp and a flying carpet!

They're really too similar in what they like in a partner. Jon likes wild aggressive women. Dany likes wild aggressive men. Neither can fill that role for the other.

I'm still shipping Jon with Val.

You are accused of high treason, Jon Snow. I sentence you to sex.

The Gods(zeitgeist) demand it.

Dragons may be OP in terms of current battles but from an entire-saga POV having drogon take a shot and get hurt on his very first battle in westeros is a little lame. The dragons have been built up as the ultimate weapon for 7 seasons and 5 books, (not to mention all the historical westeros stuff) They should have gotten a few flawless victories before their adversaries figure out a plan to take them out. Especially when the solution is as simple as "big ballista"

Definitely another thing that could be chalked up to budget/rushing to wrap things up I'm sure. It would only really bother me if the wound is really poisoned. In that case qyburn OP to the point of fuck this show
Did you miss everything they did in Essos?

Biske

As much as I think all the Stark Kids scenes are kind of awful and more awkward than they should be.

It makes sense that Bran is some kind of detached weirdo. When you are spending all day every day watching basically everything that has ever happened I assume it would detach you from everything and make you realize how insignificant just about everything is.

Just the same as more takes on immortality after enough time are people just wishing for death. Hell Bran probably doesn't even really give a shit about stopping the Night King, cause who fucking cares, he's watched nearly everyone ever die.

Gigglepoo

Listening to a television critic who hasn't read the books say the books just have more side stores and travel scenes. Weird how critics praise depth except when it means impugning their favorite medium.

JakeD

Did you miss everything they did in Essos?

No, I saw them steamroll everyone, which made it lame when they instantly get neutered the second they run into a main character's army

Edit: I know eventually they had to face a threat, I just wish it was handled with a little more depth than "oh don't worry about that your grace *qyburn smirk*"

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Well I disagree, ok, I give the point that the earlier seasons were better about this, and I think its because they had original book material to draw moral ambiguity from. But now that they don't have this, their attempts at this moral dilemmas are just bad. Take the Lannisters, all this season they have been shown as "sympathetic", to the point they don't even showed them taking Highgarden so we don't see them at all doing "bad" things, and that Ed Sheeran scene was just ridiculous, and this was to portray this last battle as "ambiguous", but... it simply wasn't, because the Lannister soldiers are suddenly "good guys".

The show only works in extremes, they are either torturing people at Harrenhal or talking about how they want their baby to be a girl, which was lol worthy, honestly.
*shrug*
Not how I read those scenes at all.

Ed Sheeran and those other dudes are not Lannisters. They are soldiers. Same as the dudes horrifically killed in any other battle scene regardless of alligience. We saw these guys specifically freaked out to build tension and make the Dothraki and Dragons finally pay off as badasses for once.

We didn't see them take High-garden for three very clear reasons:
- Nobody gives a fuck about about Dickon kill randos
- $
- time

It honestly feels like you are stretching a bit, about trying to draw themes from "all this season" which is not much material to draw from.

So I dunno. You're obviously free to disagree, but I'm not really swayed that this scene somehow didn't earn those cut-seats.

I will agree that the character moments have suffered this season, but I was totally thinking "man that would be scary" while still rooting for Dany.

Felt the same way during Blackwater.

Its not Ghost"s fault that the show hasnt done anything remotely interesting with him.

Also Grey Worm sex scene sure payed out, cause we saw him fight for like two minutes
I mean, we got a funny exchange with Dany one episode later. That is more than they have used Ghost from episode to episode maybe ever.

No book reader would ever agree with this
Not sure what that means. If you want them to go back and edit Ghost into past seasons like a Star Wars Special Edition I will co-sign that, but as it stands Ghost is not an interesting figure on the show.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Man, I can really feel Dragonbinder's absence. I wish that had been Euron's gift. Coulda set it up with just a few prepatory lines of dialogue in the previous season.

This Scorpion shit is pretty GRRM-esque IMO but it's just not quite right. The stakes feel off.

Ambient80

To be fair, it was not a pretty sight to see what happens to the guys on the other end. It's pretty much napalm with wings.

Yep, they even said in the post-episode thing they wanted it to be like bringing a jet fighter to a medieval fight. It was certainly that. Sure, they managed to wound one (and we aren’t even sure how badly but he didn’t seem to be bleeding out or anything and Dany seemed to be removing it without much issue), but if all three of those dragons were there at the same time it would have been over in seconds.

bitbydeath

In the books Bronn was given a wife to inherit a castle, I could have sworn he was also paired up on the show a few seasons ago just before he left for Dorne?

Sean C

GRRM said in advance of ASOS's publication that the book would reveal who sent the assassin, so it was Joffrey.

However, since the show omitted that explanation, I've been expecting since Season 4 that they were going to change it to Littlefinger. Tons of fans who are disappointed with the book explanation theorize that, even though it doesn't make sense at all within the books.

Top Bottom