• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

jfkgoblue

Poor Talla getting screwed out of her rightful inheritance.

Well the NW will cease to exist, so Sam can regain his title and lands. She will still get Horn Hill though.
Would the show be any different if Jon had stayed Night Watch Commander and Sansa was the Lady of Winterfell?

Yes... Jon is the main character, everyone else is just supporting characters, but the entire, overarching story pretty much revolves around Jon.

He is the Song of Ice and Fire.

Turin

Banned
Would the show be any different if Jon had stayed Night Watch Commander and Sansa was the Lady of Winterfell?

Sansa would appoint new lords to the Karstark and Bolton houses.

Jon would still play the Commander Shepard role but would look better doing it.

KahooTs

people saying tyrion being a targ would ruin his relationship with tywin has always been weird to me. the relationship does not change one bit, and it actually opens up something interesting possibilities. one is did tywin know or was he in denial like about the twincest?
Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it. Joanna never loved him, just his power. Tyrion is the product of that denial.

Just as Tyrion can not accept the hard truth that Shae doesn't love him, just his wealth and power. But I guess he does accept it at her end.
That doesn't make any sense. How would he have come to be in possession of it?

It's a lot easier to say that he made it himself.
Who cares anymore? It is a Fast and Furious movie now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It would be funny if Jon is king at the end, and he's like, fuck your fancy asshole names, call me Jon Snow, first of his name.

How does Sam get Highgarden? He's in the Night's Watch. He gave up his name and inheritance.

Gigglepoo

It would be funny if Jon is king at the end, and he's like, fuck your fancy asshole names, call me Jon Snow, first of his name.

How does Sam get Highgarden? He's in the Night's Watch. He gave up his name and inheritance.

Jon got out by dying but not telling anyone. Sam could not die but tell everyone he did.

It's like poetry.

his family will be like "your dad and brother are fucking prideful idiots, come back lol"

John Dunbar

correct about everything

if his number one bro is the king that's no problem.

and there might not even be any wall left.

mhi

They're definitely moving at a faster pace than previous seasons. My guess is they're trying to squeeze in as many of Martin's plot points as possible, so the last season can just be about 2-3 major ones.

jfkgoblue

After the Others are defeated, what is the point of the NW anymore?

Gigglepoo

If he leaves the Watch to fight, he can't be LORD Commander anymore.

But why leave? He wants to fight White Walkers, right? And that's what the Night Watch does. It's just funny that he left a post that fights beyond the Wall, became a king, and now his lords are annoyed that all he cares about is fighting beyond the Wall.

Nah, doesn't ruin it. Still killed a shitty fucker who treated him like shit. And then would basically redeem him as it wasn't fratricide.

Why?

Why?

I always felt Tyrion being a lannister is all that kept Tywin from killing him. If he had the slightest thought otherwise no doubt he'd have drowned Tyrion as a babe.

In terms of the show I loved the line 'I am your son. I have always been your son.' Fires arrow. Rains of castamere.

There are many hints at Tyrion, at least, being a targ. Depending on it's execution on the books I could dig it.

Sean C

people saying tyrion being a targ would ruin his relationship with tywin has always been weird to me. the relationship does not change one bit, and it actually opens up some interesting possibilities. one is did tywin know or was he in denial like about the twincest?
The relationship changes quite a lot. Tywin's inability to recognize that Tyrion is the son most like him because he's prejudiced against dwarves is way different if he's right that Tyrion is the product either of an affair or Aerys raping Joanna. Tyrion not being his son is what Tywin most wants.

Moreover, Tyrion's psychological trauma over being a kinslayer is gone if Tywin isn't actually his father.

Tiktaalik

Great piece by Sean T. Collins about the (frequently ignored) anti war themes of the book and show

Sword-and-Sorcery Into Plowshares: Game of Thrones' Anti-War Message

The sprawl, the spectacle, the sex, the swords, the sorcery—if you're looking for reasons why Game of Thrones has become the most popular show on TV, they're easy to find. But the epic fantasy might also be pop culture's most prominent anti-war satire since Dr. Strangelove. It's one long shaggy dog joke at the expense of military conflict. For the bulk of its six-plus seasons, Game of Thrones has chronicled the bloody power struggles of various aristocrats and their hapless followers—while, unbeknownst to most, an army of demons and zombies in the icy northern wastes masses to swoop down and slaughter them all. The wars making up most of the series' action are not only pointless, but self-defeating: The only enemy these characters need to be fighting is a supernatural one.

Somehow this lesson is often missed, both by moralists who find the series' violence exploitative and ”bad fans" (as The New Yorker's Emily Nussbaum calls them) in it for the beheadings. Perhaps it's the simplicity of the conceit that hides the anti-war message in plain sight. Or maybe it's the show's unflinching depiction of man's inhumanity to man that enables viewers to confuse portraying violence with endorsing it.

Yet the show has been true to the approach of George R. R. Martin, author of the novels on which the show is based and a conscientious objector during America's assault on Vietnam. As Martin said in a 2012 interview, he does not shy away from capturing the ”emotional stirring we feel when we see the banner flying in the wind and we hear the bugles charge"—which, ”those of us who are opposed to war ... tend to forget." However, he noted, ”If you're going to write about war and violence, show the cost. Show how ugly it is. Show both sides of it."

duckroll

But why leave? He wants to fight White Walkers, right? And that's what the Night Watch does. It's just funny that he left a post that fights beyond the Wall, became a king, and now his lords are annoyed that all he cares about is fighting beyond the Wall.

What I'm saying is, if he doesn't leave, there would be no battle of the bastards and Ramsay would still rule. There would be no Lady of Winterfell. If he leaves to fight, he can't be Lord Commander anymore because he would be leaving the Watch. It's all connected. We can't really have a scenario where he stays in the Night's Watch and Sansa rules Winterfell.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
What I'm saying is, if he doesn't leave, there would be no battle of the bastards and Ramsay would still rule. There would be no Lady of Winterfell. If he leaves to fight, he can't be Lord Commander anymore because he would be leaving the Watch. It's all connected. We can't really have a scenario where he stays in the Night's Watch and Sansa rules Winterfell.
Sansa goes to Dragonstone and pledges the North to Dany if she helps liberate it from Ramsay. It would pretty much be the same thing Yara did.

Javaman

ah, it's a better response to this gif instead of that one

tumblr_ounkf9bVsD1r6imkto1_540.gif

Everytime I see that I keep thinking it's Jon fondling Jorah's grayscale.

duckroll

Sansa goes to Dragonstone and pledges the North to Dany if she helps liberate it from Ramsay. It would pretty much be the same thing Yara did.

How would she know about Dany? If Jon stays at the Wall, she would probably stay there as a refugee too. Then Dany arrives in Westeros eventually, but by would they inform the Wall? Tyrion only sent the raven to Jon because he was King in the North. Otherwise he's of no significance to Dany.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
How would she know about Dany? If Jon stays at the Wall, she would probably stay there as a refugee too. Then Dany arrives in Westeros eventually, but by would they inform the Wall? Tyrion only sent the raven to Jon because he was King in the North. Otherwise he's of no significance to Dany.
If I'm a monarch landing to reclaim my rightful throne I'm sending ravens to every house telling them to pledge fealty.

Gigglepoo

Yeah, I get that. It's just funny how all Jon wants to do is Night's Watch stuff now.

duckroll

Yeah, I get that. It's just funny how all Jon wants to do is Night's Watch stuff now.

Is it really "Night's Watch stuff" though? He knows the dead are coming, he knows the Wall might not hold, and if they breach the Wall, the first to die would be the people in the North. His people!

jfkgoblue

Jon is going to be king at the end, he just keeps climbing the ladder without ever wanting too.

Bastard of Winterfell that felt like he didn't belong.

Joined the NW and made a steward.

Made LC of the NW.

King in the North.

Next will be King of the seven kingdoms.

Brakke

Banned
Did the Watch even send anyone along on the ranging?

Jon couldn't have done this ranging as Lord Commander. There straight up aren't 7 members of the Watch left lol.

dubq

The scene with Tyrion and Jaime looks like it was filmed on a green screen stage and it really takes me out of the moment. They actors stand out way too much from the background and he torches that constantly flicker do not reflect on their bodies at all.

jfkgoblue

So reading the wiki, apparently Sansa is 19, which means that the show has gone on for 6 years since she was 13 at the start. This also means that 5 years have passed since the end of season 3.

Time is fucking confusing on this show.

The scene with Tyrion and Jaime looks like it was filmed on a green screen stage and it really takes me out of the moment. They actors stand out way too much from the background and he torches that constantly flicker do not reflect on their bodies at all.

how did Cersei know about it?

also how did Tyrion communicate to Bronn that he wanted a meet?

Qyburn seized Varys's informer network of street urchins.

Whatever. Tyrion paid some Flea Bottom hooker to relay a message to Bronn, who often keeps such company.
Yeah that's what I was thinking but if it is the case shouldn't Cersei already know what Tyrion wanted? If the devil birds knew about the meeting because they followed them that kinda implies they were there and heard the conversation but whatever
Robert Baratheon, war hammer to the chest.

More like 'my dad killed your brother', but close.
Jon's biological father is Rhaegar but his real father will always be Ned Stark.

cj_iwakura

Yeah that's what I was thinking but if it is the case shouldn't Cersei already know what Tyrion wanted? If the devil birds knew about the meeting because they followed them that kinda implies they were there and heard the conversation but whatever

Jon's biological father is Rhaegar but his real father will always be Ned Stark.

Oh, I thought he meant if Gendry talked to Dany.

Top Bottom