• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I would totally buy that. Regardless of the quality. Lol.

Same here, hahaha #noshame

It does make me think that if there ever were an animated adaptation of the series, they could take some liberties and exaggerate the combat a bit for that hyper stylized fantasy combat with huge weapons, reminiscent of modern fantasy videogames.

jfkgoblue

I still think Dany is gonna try and marry Jon when she finds out his claim is better, and I still think he turns it down. This "romance" is extremely one-sided right now.

I actually think it would be funny as fuck if she tried to fuck him but he turned it down just to see the internet shippers meltdown. That's where it is headed right now, but we will see.

jdstorm

Banned
Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it. Joanna never loved him, just his power. Tyrion is the product of that denial.

Just as Tyrion can not accept the hard truth that Shae doesn't love him, just his wealth and power. But I guess he does accept it at her end.

Who cares anymore? It is a Fast and Furious movie now.

Speaking of Joanna Lannister. One of my favourite (somewhat plausible theories that i made up) is that there is a great big conspiracy theory around Joanna.

Doubt it happens on the show, since they seem to be locked in on their end game right now, but technically its still possible in the books. Not sure why i'm bringing it up but seeing Joanna Lannister mentioned always makes me think of it.

Theory
Joanna Lannister =/= Rahella Targaryen

So essentially
Tywin + Rahella (pretending to be Joanna) = Jamie + Cersi
Aryes + Joanna (Pretending to be Rahella) = Rhaegar, Visceries and Dany

Then the obligatory
Aryes + Rahella (Pretending to be Joanna) = Tyrion aka TPTWP

watershed

Banned
Kidnap a wight is a plot I didn't see coming. So next episode we're gonna find out what Jamie and Tyrion agreed to. There's no way Dany agrees to meet with Cersei. That seems like playing into Cersei's hand.

jfkgoblue

Speaking of Joanna Lannister. One of my favourite (somewhat plausible theories that i made up) is that there is a great big conspiracy theory around Joanna.

Doubt it happens on the show, since they seem to be locked in on their end game right now, but technically its still possible in the books. Not sure why i'm bringing it up but seeing Joanna Lannister mentioned always makes me think of it.

Theory

So essentially

Then the obligatory
GRRM should be forced to read each and every ridiculous theory his slow ass writing has caused, including this one.

Chuckie

He is a really shitty blacksmith if that was his idea of a war hammer though.

It was comically oversized and not at all shaped correctly to bite into armor, more of a maul or a sledge than a war hammer.

This is what real war hammers looked like:

TCCV8CM.png

The whole point of a war hammer is to concentrate the impact on a small area to defeat armor. Also you have to be able to use it on a horse, so a giant 2 hand maul was out of the question.

I think RPGs changed peoples idea of war hammers. In most fan art of young Robert Baratheon you also see him wielding this huge hammer. So now Gendry is using the 'same' weapon his father was.

Fisico

Day 1 for ASOIAF musou
it would be my first musou

Sorry if this has been posted, shit made me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLSx_ckJeXI&feature=youtu.be

Holy crap ahah.

After a quick rewatch the Winterfell subplot feels even worse than I originally thought.
Royce didn't like Littlefinger at all as far as I remember? Why did it change now?

Also why would Glover trust him either, the way he said "The King in the north should stay in the north" it was like he's the old drunk uncle at dinner that no one bothers listening but keeps repeating the same thing ad nauseam hoping that finally he will be heard at some point.
What's the point of repeating that line anyway, Jon is fucking not there so I dunno at least says "The King in the North should have stayed in the north", also did Jon send no raven explaining what he's doing because he got a shitton of dragonglass and is not on bad term with the queen who looks like she'll win the war, he's also on a mission to try to stay on the good side of the other queen (how stupid is that mission is another matter), so it's not like he left for nothing, they could have instead put that scene after they learned that Jon is going north of the wall and complains about it
"The king in the north should... uh not to go too north either, that's a dangerous place there!"
How convenient is it that little Mormont wasn't present either, I guess she left and so did Manderly and Cerwyn?

Sansa mentions 2.000 men for Royce, the Vale army is ten times that so I guess a huge part left at some point (unless there was a mention that only a small part of the army came north in the first place, but I seem to remember the opposite)

Anyway hope this forced drama just stops, kill Littlefinger (the whole shit could be a trap aimed at him btw) and be done with it

Neece

So Spoils of War was the most viewed episode with 10.17 million viewers. Do they reach 11 million viewers this season? Fwiw, Battle of the Bastards reached 7.66 million and Winds of Winter 8.89 million, according to the wiki.

He is a really shitty blacksmith if that was his idea of a war hammer though.

It was comically oversized and not at all shaped correctly to bite into armor, more of a maul or a sledge than a war hammer.

This is what real war hammers looked like:

TCCV8CM.png

The whole point of a war hammer is to concentrate the impact on a small area to defeat armor. Also you have to be able to use it on a horse, so a giant 2 hanld maul was out of the question.
Maces do exist, but yeah. A mace shaped like a hammer doesn't make much sense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Silly question. Is the world in the show a sphere? If so, why don't the white walkers just go around the world and come up from the south, ignoring the wall entirely?

Turin

Banned

Theory

So essentially

Then the obligatory

This is beautiful. Cheered me up this morning.

jdstorm

Banned
GRRM should be forced to read each and every ridiculous theory his slow ass writing has caused, including this one.

Except its a good theory that works within the scope of GRRMs work.

Almost everyone expects King Snow to unite the world like he's Aaragon or something. Yet GRRM likes playing shell games with his readers and likes to forshadow. His biggest tool is that of using the POV gimic to make characters unreliable narators.

Yet for some reason every single person assumes that Jon Snow is TPTWP, Ice and Fire, your stereotypical fantasy hero ect. Yet don't acknowledge that Jon is a member of the undead just as much as Coldhands, Lady Stoneheart and Zombie Mountain.

Its another Shell game just like Ned Stark, and Rob Stark with each origionally expected to be your stereotypical Hero (and then Dying inauspiciously)

It seemed to be something I could have easily missed, but did anyone else notice what Gilly was reading out of the books? Seemed like they just subtly suggested that Rhaegar's marriage to Elia Martel was annulled, and that he married Lyanna instead. Making Jon Snow a legitimate Targaryen.

watershed

Banned
Day 1 for ASOIAF musou
it would be my first musou

Holy crap ahah.

After a quick rewatch the Winterfell subplot feels even worse than I originally thought.
Royce didn't like Littlefinger at all as far as I remember? Why did it change now?

Also why would Glover trust him either, the way he said "The King in the north should stay in the north" it was like he's the old drunk uncle at dinner that no one bothers listening but keeps repeating the same thing ad nauseam hoping that finally he will be heard at some point.
What's the point of repeating that line anyway, Jon is fucking not there so I dunno at least says "The King in the North should have stayed in the north", also did Jon send no raven explaining what he's doing because he got a shitton of dragonglass and is not on bad term with the queen who looks like she'll win the war, he's also on a mission to try to stay on the good side of the other queen (how stupid is that mission is another matter), so it's not like he left for nothing, they could have instead put that scene after they learned that Jon is going north of the wall and complains about it
"The king in the north should... uh not to go too north either, that's a dangerous place there!"
How convenient is it that little Mormont wasn't present either, I guess she left and so did Manderly and Cerwyn?

Sansa mentions 2.000 men for Royce, the Vale army is ten times that so I guess a huge part left at some point (unless there was a mention that only a small part of the army came north in the first place, but I seem to remember the opposite)

Anyway hope this forced drama just stops, kill Littlefinger (the whole shit could be a trap aimed at him btw) and be done with it

The key is to not think too hard about it. All of it is just to show Littlefinger scheming to cause a rift between the Starks.

Except its a good theory that works within the scope of GRRMs work.

Almost everyone expects King Snow to unite the world like he's Aaragon or something. Yet GRRM likes playing shell games with his readers and likes to forshadow. His biggest tool is that of using the POV gimic to make characters unreliable narators.

Yet for some reason every single person assumes that Jon Snow is TPTWP, Ice and Fire, your stereotypical fantasy hero ect. Yet don't acknowledge that Jon is a member of the undead just as much as Coldhands, Lady Stoneheart and Zombie Mountain.

Its another Shell game just like Ned Stark, and Rob Stark with each origionally expected to be your stereotypical Hero (and then Dying inauspiciously)

True. Though I wonder if his resurrection will happen in the books the same way, and if that will matter.

I always imagined he would have been burned at the wall, to keep from becoming a wight. Then his secret targ magic would kick in and he would be reborn through the flames. Maybe there will be more at play for him, as his second chance appears to have had little to no cost to him.

Jombie

It seemed to be something I could have easily missed, but did anyone else notice what Gilly was reading out of the books? Seemed like they just subtly suggested that Rhaegar's marriage to Elia Martel was annulled, and that he married Lyanna instead. Making Jon Snow a legitimate Targaryen.

Yeah, Jon's no bastud. I wonder how hard it was for Ned all those years listening to Robert go on about Lyanna and how much she loved him and were meant for each other. We can all relate.

Chuckie

Except its a good theory that works within the scope of GRRMs work.)

How is this a good theory? Why are Arys and Tywin wife swapping? Are they part of a swingers club? And why is Rhaella pretending to be Joanna (pretending to who exactly?) And Joanna pretending to be Rhaella?

If Rhaella is Tyrions mother, then is she the one who died giving birth? If so, did they bury her under Joanna's name?

Sorry but this does not sound like a good theory at all (imo) and really unnecessarily complicated.

Edit: Did you mean they are the same person?

That makes even less sense.

Fisico

The key is to not think too hard about it. All of it is just to show Littlefinger scheming to cause a rift between the Starks.

Yeah I know, it's been like that for a few seasons and is getting more and more blatant as they don't have any material to adapt.

But complaining about it and finding the details that don't match here and there are part of the fun too!

watershed

Banned
How is this a good theory? Why are Arys and Tywin wife swapping? Are they part of a swingers club? And why is Rhaella pretending to be Joanna (pretending to who exactly?) And Joanna pretending to be Rhaella?

If Rhaella is Tyrions mother, then is she the one who died giving birth? If so, did they bury her under Joanna's name?

Sorry but this does not sound like a good theory at all (imo) and really unnecessarily complicated.

Edit: Did you mean they are the same person?

That makes even less sense.

It's a dumb theory that makes no sense. As far as I know, there is nothing in the books to support this theory.

Edit: Wait, I kind of recall one character who suggested Jamie was not Tywin's son. That could mean something.

Chuckie

It's a dumb theory that makes no sense. As far as I know, there is nothing in the books to support this theory.

Edit: Wait, I kind of recall one character who suggested Jamie was not Tywin's son. That could mean something.

There is a rumor Joanna had an affair with Aerys. So she might have had one or more kids from him.

Edit: =/= means 'is not equal to' right? So the 'theory' is that Rhaella is not Joanna. Ok. :/ That is not a theory, that is a fact.

watershed

Banned
There is a rumor Joanna had an affair with Aerys. So she might have had one or more kids from him.

Yes, but that child is rumored to be Tyrion which works really well with everything that we know. It would be a weird sucker punch if Jamie and Cersei were also not Tywin's kids. It doesn't seem like a dramatic twist worth anything at this point.

CloudWolf

Arya and Littlefinger playing hide and seek might be the single funniest scene this entire show. When they showed Littlefinger hiding behind the wall I nearly fell over laughing.

You would imagine that Jon would say: "Oh you're a blacksmith? We need you to help forge swords and shape the obsidian into weapons to combat the Walkers"

But nah, he about to become zombie food.

He is a bastard, so he cannot.

Well, Jon SNOW is now King, so I imagine the show could make Gendry King as well. All he really needs is a Septon ceremony that pronounces him Gendry Baratheon, anoint him, and call it a day. If he had the backing of an army, nobody would dispute it. Might makes Right, that's why a woman who does not have Baratheon Blood nor previously any claim whatsoever to the Throne is now Queen.

Hazmat

He's so going to die first next episode.

So many reviews or posts here have assumed he has some part to play and won't die because otherwise they wouldn't have brought him back, as if this wasn't the show that did the same thing to Osha and Rickon. I feel like he, Berric, and Thoros are dead men walking.

Chuckie

Well, Jon SNOW is now King, so I imagine the show could make Gendry King as well. All he really needs is a Septon ceremony that pronounces him Gendry Baratheon, anoint him, and call it a day. If he had the backing of an army, nobody would dispute it. Might makes Right, that's why a woman who does not have Baratheon Blood nor previously any claim whatsoever to the Throne is now Queen.

Yeah well anything is possible in theory. However I responded to someone saying Gendry has a claim to the throne as a son of Robert. According to Westerosi law he simple does not. Now of course you are right that there could be some way that he officially becomes a Baratheon and after that somehow tries to claim the throne, but I don't see it happening.

CloudWolf

So many reviews or posts here have assumed he has some part to play and won't die because otherwise they wouldn't have brought him back, as if this wasn't the show that did the same thing to Osha and Rickon. I feel like he, Berric, and Thoros are dead men walking.

Yeah, I was watching with a bunch of friends and they also said "Well, they wouldn't bring him back just to kill him", but they literally did that with multiple characters last season.

Yeah well anything is possible in theory. However I responded to someone saying Gendry has a claim to the throne as a son of Robert. According to Westerosi law he simple does not. Now of course you are right that there could be some way that he officially becomes a Baratheon and after that somehow tries to claim the throne, but I don't see it happening.

Oh, ok. Yeah I agree it's not likely.

He's so going to die first next episode.

Not so sure he will die. Though, out of the people who went north:

Jon
Gendry
The Hound
Thoros
Beric
Jorah
Tormund

I think the only people who are really safe are Jon and The Hound. So if I had to guess, I would put the others as (also in order):

Toast
Boric

Probably going to die
Thoros
Tormund

Least likely to die
Jorah
Gendry

My only real reason for thinking Gendry and Jorah are likely to survive, is just because their characters were sidelined for a while. That being said, neither of them are completely safe.

CloudWolf

Not so sure he will die. Though, out of the people who went north:

Jon
Gendry
The Hound
Thoros
Beric
Jorah
Tormund

I think the only people who are really safe are Jon and The Hound. So if I had to guess, I would put the others as (also in order):

Toast
Boric

Probably going to die
Thoros
Tormund

Least likely to die
Jorah
Gendry

My only real reason for thinking Gendry and Jorah are likely to survive, is just because their characters were sidelined for a while. That being said, neither of them are completely safe.

Gendry's return is really suspect, he has no real purpose in the story, so the only reason to bring him back seems to be to conclude an open story-arc. As pointed out above, they did that last season as well with Osha and Rickon, they brought them back just to say 'see, we haven't forgotten about these characters!' and almost immediately killed them off.

I would say of the Magnificent Seven, Gendry and Beric are the most likely to die, with Thoros also being very likely to go. The only three that are 100% safe are The Hound (the writers are not going to pass up on Cleganebowl), Jon (he's got the thickest plot armour of anyone on the show) and Jorah (they wouldn't have spent an entire season on him surviving greyscale just to kill him off an episode later).

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Jorah can't die, he's Azor Ahai.

Beric has to go - he can't possibly be important to any future plot.

Hazmat

Thinking about it, I see Berric being killed and Thoros trying to bring him back and failing because north of the wall, in the presence of the Night King or The Great Other prayers to R'hllor go unanswered.

It would be a nice present for Cersei, given that it's Robert's son and thus can claim the throne.
Why does this always come up in show threads? Is it because they had Joffrey kill Robert's bastards for some reason and people think that was him taking out the competition for the throne?

watershed

Banned
Gendry is so unimportant he is bound to die. For a second I thought he was going to smith the dragon glass but that made too much sense so instead he will die fighting. He serves no purpose at this point. Like Ricken, he was brought back to die.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Why does this always come up in show threads? Is it because they had Joffrey kill Robert's bastards for some reason and people think that was him taking out the competition for the throne?

Wasn't it Cersei who had all the bastards killed, and for the same reason Ned was executed. All his bastards had coarse black hair, all 'his' children with Cersei had fine golden Lannister hair.

It was proof that none of those children were legitimate heirs to the throne.

Top Bottom