• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Donthizz#

Some bush league writing. Without the books to guide them writers and creators are finally getting exposed.

I have zero faith in the spinoff series.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm glad they added extra runtime for all of the boring as fuck talking scenes and the nonsensical Arya and Sansa hating each other plot.

The fighting was once again impossible to follow - "who was that? Who died? Oh nameless guy 1 of 3."

Thoros heals up just to freeze to death overnight offscreen unceremoniously - what was the point, an extra talking scene to say he was really drunk one time?

Where did the undead army get like a half mile of giant chains?

Ignoring the utterly ridiculous teleportation and instant transmission mail by raven, this is possibly the stupidest the series has ever been, and it's hard to judge it when it keeps delivering pure fanservice alongside the worst dialogue and the worst plot.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Don't you understand Arya was lying at the end? She was playing the Game of Faces. Sansa asked her a question and she told her a lie and made her believe it!

:(

Arabesque

Will zombie dragon be able to breathe fire? I mean, wights don't breathe at all. Surely it won't breathe ice. The show would be reaching new levels of fanmade idiocy. So I guess it's gonna happen.

latest

So either

-Hurricanes
-Lightning
-Neutrons

Given the whole color motif the Night's King has going for him, I'm guessing white lightning will be coming out of the Blue Eye's Wight Dragon when it is out and about.

But maybe it will just breath ice and freeze stuff cause that's the level of writing we are dealing with here.

TTG

Fucking Tyrion was about to bring democracy to Westeros. Put that on the list of stupid shit this episode tried to do. I almost forgot about that one.

In the behind the scenes they talk about how"Coldhands" had been in purgatory... And this is the purpose he finds in life.

Fuck that. Trying to make it sound like you thought this through. It's shitty writing. No explanation of what the fuck he even is. He's reduced to a gotcha saved by the bell moment for Jon.

jett

D-Member
[*]They have turned Tyrion into a bumbling, incompetent idiot this season. I understand that nobody is perfect and everyone in this series is far from it; however, Tyrion, who has done more with less in the past, is making horrible decision after horrible decision to the point where he's nothing near his original character. I'm not even talking about the book Tyrion, he's far away from the show Tyrion now. He's been on the wrong side of every single decision this season and I don't know what D&D have planned for him going forward because this Tyrion makes Ned Stark look like a cunning political mastermind

Tyrion and Arya are both ruined characters. The show has really struggled to justify Tyrion as an advisor to Dany ever since they met (this is where not having access to GRRM's dialogue just kills the show), but this is some next level incompetence. How many L's can the haflman acquire? The finale should be his biggest yet.

duckroll

Tyrion and Arya are both ruined characters. The show has really struggled to justify Tyrion as an advisor to Dany ever since they met (this is where not having access to GRRM's dialogue just kills the show), but this is some next level incompetence. How many L's can the haflman acquire? The finale should be his biggest yet.

D&D elevated Tyrion above what the recent books did, so naturally they got a note from GRRM to tell them they need to sink the character before the end. :p

Some bush league writing. Without the books to guide them writers and creators are finally getting exposed.

Pretty much this. I saw the leaked episode this week and came to the same conclusion. You can see the plot "twists' a mile away. Anyways we are still going to get the same ending as the books just without any of the nuance that made the earlier seasons so good. The dialogue was still good as far as TV goes but with out GRRM's heavy plotting they episodes are very simple in things happening.

truer words have never been spoken...

LifEndz

The bag of faces, the jet packs now fitted for ravens, the Gendry is the fastest despite never having seen snow before...oh man. Still, enjoyable tv but, jesus christ, I hope George can finish this series before I die.

TTG

Ice dragon has to be in the book as well considering all the collaboration being written about. You think there's going to be another reason for Dany to be beyond the wall this early?

Maybe this is all according to GRRM's keikaku. He's testing shit out and now he can just rewrite the whole thing, release date pushed back by another 10 years of course.

Pein

Banned
In the behind the scenes they talk about how"Coldhands" had been in purgatory... And this is the purpose he finds in life.

Fuck that. Trying to make it sound like you thought this through. It's shitty writing. No explanation of what the fuck he even is. He's reduced to a gotcha saved by the bell moment for Jon.
Seriously what a fucking cop out, oh well this way we ain't gotta explain shit. All the real thrills and actual plot has seemed to vanish since we're moving on from the books completely.

Hazmat

well that's his fucking problem then. getting greedy over power makes you lose friends if you're not willing to compromise. Robb Stark died, but (show canon wise) so did Stannis. He lost one battle, then he lost another battle and the people loyal to him shrank more and more

Wanting Stannis to be ok with six kingdoms is like wanting Cersei to just be nice. You're asking for the character to get a page-one rewrite.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm glad they added extra runtime for all of the boring as fuck talking scenes and the nonsensical Arya and Sansa hating each other plot.

The fighting was once again impossible to follow - "who was that? Who died? Oh nameless guy 1 of 3."

Thoros heals up just to freeze to death overnight offscreen unceremoniously - what was the point, an extra talking scene to say he was really drunk one time?

Ignoring the utterly ridiculous teleportation and instant transmission mail by raven, this is possibly the stupidest the series has ever been, and it's hard to judge it when it keeps delivering pure fanservice alongside the worst dialogue and the worst plot.

Oh this drove me nuts too. So many red shirts, and every death I think for a second that one of the named characters has gone down, and then nope, it was just a new rando introduced at that very moment to show someone dying.

Tyrion stupidity has only been salvaged by everyone else also being idiots. Tyrion's terrible war plan was defeated by Cersei/Jaime's ludicrous scheme to sacrifice Casterly Rock, which Tyrion then failed to capitalize on the momenta stupidity of, all while he, Jon, and Dany were hatching the worst plan in history to kidnap a zombie. None of the central teams are run by non-morons at this point.

That's a different character.

Nah.

When Oathkeeper went up, the description on HBO described him as 'The Nights King, the legendary figure'

Not only that but in the tales told in the book, they never specifically say that they killed the Night King. Only that they were able to beat him and his corpse queen, and being able to free the Nights Watch.

Dollars on the penny that this Night King is that Night King.

Faddy

Banned
Can't believe how mad people are about Arya and Sansa fighting.

Arya was throwing out plenty of truthbombs that Sansa just wanted to ignore. And Sansa claiming she won back Winterfell isn't exactly true either, if Jon hadn't rallied the Wildlings there would have been no battle for the knights of the vale to ride to. Arya can see through all her lies. Sansa wants to be queen, Sansa resents Jon, Sansa knew what she was doing when she wrote the letter to Robb, Sansa is only looking out for herself.

Burt

yo and just remember this shit was so wretched

no one's brought up tyrion's ridiculous succession conversation yet

edit: nevermind maybe some people did but it's like item number 6 on the list

jett

D-Member
Pretty much this. I saw the leaked episode this week and came to the same conclusion. You can see the plot "twists' a mile away. Anyways we are still going to get the same ending as the books just without any of the nuance that made the earlier seasons so good. The dialogue was pretty good but with out GRRM's heavy plotting they episodes are very simple in things happening.

I don't think it matters one iota if the color of the finish line is the same when the bulldozer that built the track was driven by a drunkard.

Faddy

Banned

Do you even watch the show or just come here to complain because Benjen described exactly what he was and how he became that way when he met Bran and Meera.

yo and just remember this shit was so wretched

no one's brought up tyrion's ridiculous succession conversation yet

edit: nevermind maybe some people did but it's liek item number 6 on the list

Such a forced conversation. She's the only reason that army is together. There is no successor if she dies. Scream at the screen stupid bullshit.

At the end of the fight, you see the undead army leaving the battlefield, and when they come back, the water has already frozen up again. So we can assume they went out to grab some chains. Probably from some village.

This episode really really proved that having 3 more slower paced episodes could have spread out some of this and made it much more cohesive.

This episode suffers from Batman vs Superman syndrome. Really beautiful well done scenes but without any levity because of a disjointed story.

Arkeband

Banned

Arya was throwing out plenty of truthbombs that Sansa just wanted to ignore. And Sansa claiming she won back Winterfell isn't exactly true either, if Jon hadn't rallied the Wildlings there would have been no battle for the knights of the vale to ride to. Arya can see through all her lies. Sansa wants to be queen, Sansa resents Jon, Sansa knew what she was doing when she wrote the letter to Robb, Sansa is only looking out for herself.

Respectfully,
Who gives a fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Pein

Banned

But what's the fucking point of any of it, what sorta bullshit could Arya hope to gain from threatening Sansa. If I was Sansa I'd throw arya in prison just for shitting up the show.

Violater

Tyrion was never as smart as he thought he was, he spent an entire book wondering where whores went for goodness sakes.

Random thought.
I hope Cersi ends up being the night Queen and the white walkers just go back north.

jett

D-Member
Nah.

When Oathkeeper went up, the description on HBO described him as 'The Nights King, the legendary figure'

Not only that but in the tales told in the book, they never specifically say that they killed the Night King. Only that they were able to beat him and his corpse queen, and being able to free the Nights Watch.

Dollars on the penny that this Night King is that Night King.

It's not the same at all. The book's Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, who was seduced by an apparent female other/white walker. He has that name because he crowned himself King of the Night's Watch. He was defeated. We've seen the show's Night King being created by the Children of the Forest.

Hazmat

At the end of the fight, you see the undead army leaving the battlefield, and when they come back, the water has already frozen up again. So we can assume they went out to grab some chains. Probably from some village.

And that village had several several-hundred-foot-long chains with links the size of footballs because...?

rashbeep

Banned
1. why the FUCK didn't the night king throw the spear at drogon, the biggest threat, when he was sitting two dick lengths away?? could have also got rid of their best chance to escape

2. fuck arya, her story has been awful for two years now

i'm not even gonna touch the teleportation stuff, i've just accepted it at this point

mcrommert

Banned
This episode really really proved that having 3 more slower paced episodes could have spread out some of this and made it much more cohesive.

This episode suffers from Batman vs Superman syndrome. Really beautiful well done scenes but without any levity because of a disjointed story.

"BEAUTIFUL WELL DONE SCENES"

I LOL'ED so hard I died

Burt

Did GRRM purposely keep a lot of the secrets to himself for the books or did the show runners just decide not to indulge in those backstories?

I think this episode definitively showed how little the showrunners care at this point.

The crux of this episode was

The army of the dead can't walk on the ice

And then the army of the dead can walk on the ice

and that's it

dabig2

Not this time. I was dumbfounded, but it makes sense watching them talk about it in the post-show commentary. The writers seriously go (paraphrasing) "I mean facing the army of the dead beyond the wall is seemingly impossible. So we were trying to think how the fuck do they get out of this. We eventually settled on them being trapped on an island because we couldn't think of anything else." In other words. They wrote themselves into a corner and came up with some bullshit story rather than sucking up their pride and rewriting the plot line.

Just wanted to bring attention to this part. Nail on the head. Teleportation and time wonkery are not the problems, they're merely symptoms of the larger issue at hand - the plot and narrative structure itself are complete shit.

Especially since he was the same 'saved by the bell' moment for Bran too. I at least hope they have it where Bran guided Benjen to Jon, thus at least giving Bran some sense of purpose beyond exposition man. They (the writers and characters) could've used Bran in this episode to at least cut down on some of the complaints about teleportation and such (like he foresees shit going south and then sends the message to Dany instead of having Gendry run all the fuck back to the Wall and sending his mach 2 raven).

Pkaz01

But what's the fucking point of any of it, what sorta bullshit could Arya hope to gain from threatening Sansa. If I was Sansa I'd throw arya in prison just for shitting up the show.

It looks like Arya is testing Sansa's loyalty by placing the game of faces with her. Sansa threatened to do just that when Arya caught her looking through her stuff and her response to it was basically I can be anyone I want and you cant do shit to me

It's not the same at all. The book's Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, who was seduced by an apparent female other/white walker. He has that name because he crowned himself King of the Night's Watch. He was defeated. We've seen the show's Night King being created by the Children of the Forest.

No? The human turned by the Children wasn't the Night King. It was a white walker.

Top Bottom