• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

AND

not only did jon make zero sense even when you take in to account his brain (which btw yeah he's not a genius but 4x9 and hardhome showed that he at least knows his tactics shit, but i guess tyrion isn't smart in battle either bc 2x9 doesn't exist anymore bc we need bullet point plot points to build suspense instead of logical, consistent events) but the fucking night king shooting for 3's from halfcourt instead of killing the dragon right in front of him with everyone on it

or just throwing his laser accurate spears from the start of the stakeout?

CHRIST this episode was stupid

I thought they couldn't possibly top episode 3 this season for dumbest "do they think before they spend hours and hours of filming and finishing these episodes" moments but no, we did it

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The problem is when every episode has multiple huge head-scratchingly stupid things (like everything you mentioned and more from this episode, why didn't they use the spear from the start of the stakeout, why can some wights survive in the water and others immediately go under) it completely ruins the moments.

Like what duckroll said a page or two back, 4 is arguably the best episode of the season but I'd still give the edge to 1 just because 4 is held back from having to continue after the awful setups of 2 and 3 that literally do feel like they were just used as bullet points with no further thought in to them.

Well, I think episode 6, at least for me, it's the only episode where those things hurt my enjoyment of the episode. I thought for the most part, the stuff in the other episodes made logical sense and they didn't break character too often.

Like Tyrion getting outsmarted by Jaime, that was a great touch. Jaime has way more battle experience, it made sense. Things like that I really appreciated. The good guys not always winning. It felt like episode 6 was written by a completely different writing team.

It all started to bother me once this stupid plan to go north was introduced. That still is what has bothered me most about this whole season. I could tolerate the last second saves and the fan service if they actually concocted a legit reason to go north. Once that plan was laid out, it really hurt everything after it for me because the entire episode I'm like ok this is cool, but I still think the entire reason for them being here is ridiculous.

I mean it couldn't have been that hard to think of a better plot than capture a wight. Have some idiots from Castle Black wander north and get lost and Jon has to go save them or something. Even something that dumb would have been better than this.

royalan

He's giving Tyrion a real challenge for stupidest man in Westeros.

Like, it's just infuriating. Like, suspension of disbelief breaking infuriating.

Even before the dragon got got, the second he walked away from Dany and Drogon I was screaming at my television. Just so. fucking. stupid.

Jon needs to die. Again.

duckroll

It's almost like we were fools to put our faith in the man who directed Thor 2 The Dark World and Terminator Genisys based on the legacy of his prior work on GoT.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Just cought the episode.

This is now the THIRD time Jon Snow's decision making has almost gotten everyone killed

WHY do people listen to him? The man's a moron.

I assume you mean to not get on the dragon and keep fighting, because this overall plan was Tyrion's not his, but the reason is because he has united a massive portion of the world's population to fight the army of the dead. He has natural leadership skills, has charisma, people gravitate toward him.

It's almost like we were fools to put our faith in the man who directed Thor 2 The Dark World and Terminator Genisys based on the legacy of his prior work on GoT.

This series really did hinge on people whose only strength was adapting material from book to screen 1:1 and who completely flounder when forced to use any of their own creativity.

And like, they don't even learn so I don't have much hope for season 8 unless they get miguel for all 7 episodes. The "but dragons!" excuse doesn't cut it when you're one of the biggest shows on TV. They're not even "dumbing it down to appeal to the masses" because even the bombastic battles now make. no. sense.

royalan

I assume you mean to not get on the dragon and keep fighting, because this overall plan was Tyrion's not his, but the reason is because he has united a massive portion of the world's population to fight the army of the dead. He has natural leadership skills, has charisma, people gravitate toward him.

Yes to the bold.

And as for his natural leadership skills, funny how all they amount to is getting scores of people killed, only for him to be saved by much smarter people.

duckroll

This series really did hinge on people whose only strength was adapting material from book to screen 1:1 and who completely flounder when forced to use any of their own creativity.

And like, they don't even learn so I don't have much hope for season 8 unless they get miguel for all 7 episodes. The "but dragons!" excuse doesn't cut it when you're one of the biggest shows on TV. They're not even "dumbing it down to appeal to the masses" because even the bombastic battles now make. no. sense.

I dunno. Alan Taylor has sucked for years now in Hollywood. Mark Mylod has never done good action in GoT, but the new director they got for this season knocked the loot train out of the park. The show is probably fine for the final season as long as they don't have the same guys directing again.

Get Alex Graves for Hound vs Gregor, bring Jack Bender back for a big flashback episode, let Matt Shankman and Miguel Sapochnik handle the big battles. Should be good times.

TTG

I dunno. Alan Taylor has sucked for years now in Hollywood. Mark Mylod has never done good action in GoT, but the new director they got for this season knocked the loot train out of the park. The show is probably fine for the final season as long as they don't have the same guys directing again.

Get Alex Graves for Hound vs Gregor, bring Jack Bender back for a big flashback episode, let Matt Shankman and Miguel Sapochnik handle the big battles. Should be good times.

You hire directors, I'll do the writers: Pizzolatto, Sorkin, Charley Day for the finale.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yes to the bold.

And as for his natural leadership skills, funny how all they amount to is getting scores of people killed, only for him to be saved by much smarter people.

I have a feeling many will be indebted to him by the time this is all over. He's probably destined to kill the Night King or at least play a major role in defeating him. Also, the wildlings wouldn't have gone south without him, and if so, they probably wouldn't have even attempted to overtake Winterfell. The Vale did save them, but without Jon they don't even attempt it.

Marz

The Night King didn't use the ice spears on Jon and co. Because he's saving them for dragons obviously why would he waste them on that insignificant group?

Unless he has an unlimited supply...

Sanctuary

The Night King didn't use the ice spears on Jon and co. Because he's saving them for dragons obviously why would he waste them on that insignificant group?

That entire scenario still makes no sense. Even if the Night King was a seer and saw glimpses of the future similarly to how the Three-Eyed Raven does and he knew that if he left them alive on the rock as bait that he'd soon have a dracolich (which is why they had the spears to begin with maybe), he didn't have to leave them all alive. Surely one of them had a bow, or could have run off to get one. How would Daenerys have known who was alive or dead before arriving?

Besides that, what's even worse is the fact that not only could he have gained his dragon, but he could have also taken out some powerful opposition in the process by killing off Drogon, WHO WAS GROUNDED, waiting for his fare to climb up and them with him. But nope, they waited for the swing and a near miss (drum roll) moment.

A-V-B

This is D&D's show. No one should write it except them. Sorry.

Bryan Cogman and George R. R. Martin were a mistake. They were nothing but trash.

...Is it bad that I want GRRM to write the finale? Is that a bad thing? That would be intensely bizarre.

Neece

These last few seasons have really exposed D&D as original TV writers. I really think HBO is going to be in for a rude awakening when they first receive those Confederacy scripts. I think the emmy awards and ratings have given HBO a false confidence in them that they can handle another blockbuster show . I mean from their perspective, D&D has given them more emmy wins for writing and TV ratings than David Simon ever has, so they had carte blanche with their next project - even one as shitty of an idea as an alternate universe slavery show. I really think HBO thinks they have excellent TV showrunners handling the sensitive subject, but this GoT season has truly shown me that they just don't have it as original content creators.

I defended them in the past, and I still think they deserve recognition for filming the supposed "unfilmable" book material and adapting it, but I have absolutely zero faith that they can do anything else beyond this.

duckroll

Alan Taylor is such a hack. Dude talks about popularity when he fucked up making a goddamn Terminator film.

Let's be fair, he wasn't the first one to do that, or even the second. Lol. It's apparently not an easy franchise to not fuck up on!

Now, having the lowest Tomatometer in a MCU film, that's a major achievement. :p

Jarmel

Banned
Let's be fair, he wasn't the first one to do that, or even the second. Lol. It's apparently not an easy franchise to not fuck up on!

Now, having the lowest Tomatometer in a MCU film, that's a major achievement. :p
He arguably made a worse a film than Terminator Salvation. That's a miracle in of itself.

Shahadan

The worst thing was still the usual "kill the boss and all his minions die" shortcut they always use in mediocre tv shows. So boring. Especially since it comes out of nowhere. Sure didn't happen in hardhome.

Then why the fuck wouldn't he hit the dragon right in front of him that also has 8 people on it

Edit: beaten already

Edit 2: and yes the wights dying was also cliche and a retcon, along with making it extra dumb because one somehow managed to not die lol. What's the radius on this boss explosion exploit

Dany

Banned
This direction of the show is still incredible with the best cinematography the series has ever had IMO. It really is a shame about the plot. HUGE drop in quality.

Zabka

The worst thing was still the usual "kill the boss and all his minions die" shortcut they always use in mediocre tv shows. So boring. Especially since it comes out of nowhere. Sure didn't happen in hardhome.

It's pretty damn common in movies too.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Has any other show shifted genre from dark fantasy epic to comedy?
Its pretty interesting.

Neece

I thought it was kind of a silly reveal but thinking on it, what is the alternative?

The White Walkers are obviously animating the corpses and skeletons, so when the others die, it seems reasonable that whoever they reanimated would stop being animated...

The only other option would seem to be that wights stay living even if no one is controlling them and that seems even sillier to me. I'd be asking what is keeping the skeletons together now? Who is controlling them?

I do think it's kind of goofy that they seem to instantly turn to ash instead of just losing the life force and dropping "dead" but whatever.

This direction of the show is still incredible with the best cinematography the series has ever had IMO. It really is a shame about the plot. HUGE drop in quality.
The cinematography was really shitty for the euron fight and kinda unremarkable everywhere else imo. I remember past seasons (4 comes to mind) having more memorable shots.

Cgi and whatnot is much better than past seasons though for sure. That arena dragon ride from season 5 still makes me laugh.

Neece

The cinematography was really shitty for the euron fight and kinda unremarkable everywhere else imo. I remember past seasons (4 comes to mind) having more memorable shots.

Cgi and whatnot is much better than past seasons though for sure. That arena dragon ride from season 5 still makes me laugh.

Thought the cinematography was remarkable for spoils of war. Same with those first shots of Dragonstone.

duckroll

If Sapochnik isn't directing the series finale then someone fucked up.

Well we know that Neil Marshall is generally out of the question for S8 because of Hellboy. Sapochnick has some film projects lined up but they don't seem to be going into production anytime soon. He finished up the Altered Carbon pilot for Netflix a while ago. Interestingly enough, Alex Graves also directed an episode of Altered Carbon. I would like both of them to return in the final season.

The worst case scenario when they announce the directors set for S8 would be the same guys who did S7 again. Then I would be pretty worried. :p

I don't get why people are shitting on Alan Taylor for dumb writing. Did he write this ep?

I thought he just directed it.
Well him defending the shitty aspects of the episode by saying it's by people who were gonna hate it no matter what and "but dragons" was silly. I have no idea how the writer/director tandem works for GOT but I'm just gonna go ahead and blame em both until proven otherwise tbh

SteveWD40

I am starting to see credence in the theory that the NK is a Green Seer, it's like he was prepared for all of this. He definitely has some connection to Bran / the 3ER.

I am starting to see credence in the theory that the NK is a Green Seer, it's like he was prepared for all of this. He definitely has some connection to Bran / the 3ER.
Sure would be nice if Bran wasn't a useless sack of shit. The reunion of the stark siblings was gonna be one of the most cathartic moments of the series and it was ruined by reverse Arya and emo, apathetic Bran.

duckroll

Sure would be nice if Bran wasn't a useless sack of shit. The reunion of the stark siblings was gonna be one of the most cathartic moments of the series and it was ruined by reverse Arya and emo, apathetic Bran.

Let's be real though, Sansa, Arya, and Bran are just "supporting" characters and are treated as such. It's unfortunate that they are written that way, but imo the way the writers see it, the REAL reunion will be when Jon finally returns. And then all four of them will be together and there'll be a big cathartic moment. Right now all the lame back and forth is them wasting time between themselves while waiting for Jon, the real lead, to return to Winterfell and get the party started.

Ishan

was miguel the hardhome guy ? i just want the hardhome guy back for any big fights. that hardhome ww fight was way better than this ww fight with jon. ill also take the battle of bastards and s6 finale guy. def not this episode person ... was very disjointed.

Ishan

Let's be real though, Sansa, Arya, and Bran are just "supporting" characters and are treated as such. It's unfortunate that they are written that way, but imo the way the writers see it, the REAL reunion will be when Jon finally returns. And then all four of them will be together and there'll be a big cathartic moment. Right now all the lame back and forth is them wasting time between themselves while waiting for Jon, the real lead, to return to Winterfell and get the party started.

eeeh bran if you truly fly with the cant focus on details but def do not want to focus on family politics makes sense... guy is trying to fix stuff but frankly cant be bothered with (immediate family/this decade) stuff

duckroll

was miguel the hardhome guy ? i just want the hardhome guy back for any big fights. that hardhome ww fight was way better than this ww fight with jon.

Neil Marshall = Battle of Blackwater, Attack on Wall
Alex Graves = Viper vs Mountain, Brienne vs Hound
Miguel Sapochnik = Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, Cersei Play of the Game
Matt Shankman = Loot Train Attack

Bonus:
Jack Bender = Hold the Door (and the director of every important episode of Lost)

Mfw they're all pov characters :/

With cersei and hard home, Miguel proved he can direct tension (as well as the obvious action) better than most GOT directors too. Get him for all 7 episodes please.

If it's gonna be pulpy poor written fantasy with bullet point plot developments might as well give it to the person who can execute it with style.

Ishan

Neil Marshall = Battle of Blackwater, Attack on Wall
Alex Graves = Viper vs Mountain, Brienne vs Hound
Miguel Sapochnik = Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, Cersei Play of the Game
Matt Shankman = Loot Train Attack

Bonus:
Jack Bender = Hold the Door (and the director of every important episode of Lost)

aah def miguel for any battle scenes. Even tho im not the biggest fan of battle of bastards (but nitpick territory there) .... yeah any of them ... bender hold the door was between tho .. .it had one critical scene so im not sold on him.

Top Bottom