• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Dany seemed to get over losing a dragon pretty quickly once she got to hold hands with Jon

clarke gets a lot of shit, but i will say this much for her: i can at least believe she has the hots for jon. i am not saying their sexual chemistry is off the charts or anything, but dany clearly wants to play game of bones with jon.

Faddy

Banned
lol that's a hell of a leap. Why are so many GAFers convinced that D&D's filler storylines are gonna happen in the books. Season 5-7 are filled with things I'm convinced will not happen in the books, or at the very least, will play out so utterly differently that it would be disingenuous to say it's the same.

Is it? I never really thought much about the letter until it got brought up. Isn't it strange that Robb deliberately mentions 2 letters and that he left one at winterfell, it seems unnecessarily detailed. That the show then felt the need to bring in a previously unmentioned archive is sort of suspicious.

I don't think it is too much of a leap to think they are connected especially since we know George told D&D all the major plot points he had planned.

Gigglepoo

Is it? I never really thought much about the letter until it got brought up. Isn't it strange that Robb deliberately mentions 2 letters and that he left one at winterfell, it seems unnecessarily detailed. That the show then felt the need to bring in a previously unmentioned archive is sort of suspicious.

I don't think it is too much of a leap to think they are connected especially since we know George told D&D all the major plot points he had planned.

You're going to get push back whenever you say a show plot will be exactly the same in the books. Even when D&D were following published books, things were rarely exactly the same in the show.

he's too little for me

I felt that was a meta-gag though, considering the interest in the height differences between the cast (wonder how she'll feel about the Mountain). I did think the later following image of Tyrion standing between dragon giants was a callback to the line on him being a giant back in the first novel and season of the show. But there were a bunch of good environment shots in this episode too, just lacking the story thread a bit. The awkward editing --making it hard to tell what's happening to who-- on the first fight scene seems to be this season's answer to the sand snakes thing.

I did actually like the conversation on 'not knowing' when "You know nothing, Jon Snow" was a popular phrase once. Maybe that's intentional. It does seem like the show really does not want anyone to find out who Jon's actual parents are. The whole game about seems silly now, but it does make sense in that it goes all the way back to Ned, so unless Sam's girlfriend spills the beans in the next episode, I think that's going to be near the end of the show.

Faddy

Banned
You're going to get push back whenever you say a show plot will be exactly the same in the books. Even when D&D were following published books, things were rarely exactly the same in the show.

I don't think it will play out scene for scene in the same way but now I definitely think the letter is going to be a catalyst for tension between Arya and Sansa. (If the books ever get written)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't think it will play out scene for scene in the same way but now I definitely think the letter is going to be a catalyst for tension between Arya and Sansa. (If the books ever get written)

i can't even imagine how many books it would take to get sansa and arya back to winterfell.

Betty

Banned
Still hoping this is Arya tricking Littlefinger and protecting Sansa, handing the knife over to her sister seemed to be hinting at that.

It's really surreal to go back to the earlier moments like Arya chatting with Tywin or Tyrion when he actually did things, show was so good.

BTA

Just finished: this episode wasn't outright bad but it was kinda baffling. It's just making me feel increasingly bitter about this show.

Rapidly paced jumping through conversations between the wight hunting group, multiple times, felt like they trying to get all the important conversations out of the way as fast as possible. But... to what end? And why was some of that suddenly said while they were walking and not before they left?

I honestly wish that the show had just claimed teleportation magic was a thing instead of the ridiculous distances people (and dragons, and birds) can apparently immediately cross. It's not a thing I actually care about but it's just increasingly laughable when the show tries to be serious about anything that depends on someone teleporting.

Arya and Sansa stuff is vaguely understandable, but needless. Littlefinger scheming to no clear end beyond apparently wanting to get rid of Arya is just fucking tiring at this point. If you're going to have them fight, could it at least be over, I dunno, him dying and Arya likely having killed him for Sansa's sake or something? That'd at least be somewhat interesting instead of dragging up old (and apparently inaccurate) shit for this drama.

And the fights are still largely boring as hell and edited so you can barely tell who's who. Which I guess was why they kept having literal nobodies die for dramatic effect. On that note, sure do love how the final enemy, who in theory everyone's going to have to team up to deal with, is someone that can only be dealt with by battling like this and not really talked to!

Yeah, if you really wanna defend plot holes you could at least not be hugely ableist in the process.

I should probabyl say that while it's not Season 5 level, I really liked this episode.

Winterfell plot aside of course. Everybody would be happy if Littlefinger died already.

mantidor

Still hoping this is Arya tricking Littlefinger and protecting Sansa, handing the knife over to her sister seemed to be hinting at that.

It's really surreal to go back to the earlier moments like Arya chatting with Tywin or Tyrion when he actually did things, show was so good.

It's just the same as in season 6 when Arya was strolling like the dumbest person alive out in the open in Bravoos with an assassin cult behind her, and she gets stabbed a million times and the whole thing was so dumb the whole internet spend pages and pages of speculation that it wasn't really Arya, that it was Jaqen, that she really was not that hurt and was just luring the Waif into a trap, etc, etc, etc people even saw the freaking shadow of Syrio Forell in the preview photos lol, all of this until things turned out to be just as dumb as they were expected.

I'm just saying I'm not holding my breath for this to be any different.

Gigglepoo

I liked this part of Laura Hudson's recap:

For all her talk of breaking the wheel and creating a new, more equitable world, we have yet to see a single concrete description of what that actually looks like. There’s no slavery in Westeros, no chains to break, so how exactly does she plan to upend the current order? Is she interested in a better criminal justice system, wealth redistribution, some sort of democratic body to rule alongside her monarchy? Right now her political platform consists of “dragons” and “bend the knee,” which is persuasive to be sure, but not exactly wheel-breaking.

For such a fundamental part of the story, there has been no hint to what would differentiate Dany with Westeros' prior rulers.

duckroll

Posted?

The director of Thor 2 The Dark World and Terminator Genisys fucking OWNED GAF's shitty hot takes: http://www.newsweek.com/game-thrones-season-7-pace-criticism-director-alan-taylor-653038

“It’s funny...I did see one review where he just could not get past the airspeed velocity of a raven. If the show was struggling, if it wasn’t finding an audience, I would be up in arms about that and trying to press back, but it actually just made me laugh,” says Taylor.

“You’ve got a [dragon] that’s bigger than a [Boeing] 747 [plane] with seven people riding on its back, and you’re worried about the speed of a raven being believable. OK, obviously, we’re not doing our jobs correctly for you, but it seems to be working for a lot of other people.”

Taylor adds: “I know some people...it’s funny, because they’re just torturing themselves. They want to like the show.... The guy I was reading, he obviously got a protractor out and a ruler to measure how fast a raven would get from here to there. But hopefully that didn’t bog down too many people.”

“I understand the feeling about overall pacing,” says the director. “I do think they’re speeding things up as they head toward the finish line. And there were some things as a director I wish I had been able to linger on a little longer or play a little slower.

“But these guys have been driving this masterfully for quite a while, and they know what they’re doing.”

Suck it haters, etc.

Lol.

BTA

For such a fundamental part of the story, there has been no hint to what would differentiate Dany with Westeros' prior rulers.

That's a really solid point. I should probably get around to reading her recaps, hah.

So, Preston Jacobs pointed out that Sansa's letter wasn't even at Winterfell, Robb and Cat got it on the road. D&D really can't get anything right.

Jinx!
No that doesn't make sense. You can't send a raven to someone on the road. They can only be sent to Castles.

I don't feel like rewatching the episode but I believe Sansa's letter was the one Robb and Theon read before telling Luwin to call all the banners. Luwin could have made a carbon copy of it either before giving it to Robb, or before Robb left with it, which was why they threw in the line about him keeping thorough records.

How dare you criticise the Night King's military tactics!

First he has bear scouts to deal with any marauding attackers, then he has a small scout force with a White Walker leading and can control his minions close up. But he also has insurance should the White Walker be killed, there is one guy who is not linked who can sound the alarm back to the main force. It is actually a very good system.

And he got himself a sweet dragon mount only having to sacrifice a few footsoldiers.

Actually now that you mention it having an "alarm" wight in a small detachment isnt a bad idea, tactics wise.

Night King was really thinking ahead.

Maybe put the protractor and ruler down and just enjoy the show?!!?!?!?!?!?! HUURRRRRR?

Lmao.

Wasnt there someone in this thread that literally measured how fast it would take to reach eastwatch from dragonstone

Is the director lurking? Has he been summoned by all the thor 2 polls?

Azzanadra

D&D couldn't even remember that Sam was a POV character in the books, I doubt they remembered this small little passage.

Gigglepoo

No that doesn't make sense. You can't send a raven to someone on the road. They can only be sent to Castles.

I don't feel like rewatching the episode but I believe Sansa's letter was the one Robb and Theon read before telling Luwin to call all the banners. Luwin could have made a carbon copy of it either before giving it to Robb, or before Robb left with it, which was why they threw in the line about him keeping thorough records.

I can't believe we're still talking about this minor point. I'm going to be so bummed when GoT is over.

The letter Robb read was sent to Winterfell, addressed to him, and in Sansa's handwriting. The letter Arya found was sent to Winterfell, addressed to Robb, and in Sansa's handwriting. It's not a copy. The only reason this makes sense is if Cercei made Sansa write two identical letters to the same person at the same address. Possible? Sure. But hardly likely.

D&D couldn't even remember that Sam was a POV character in the books, I doubt they remembered this small little passage.

Wait a second. Is this true? This can't be true.

Tiktaalik

The full quote is:

DAENERYS: Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell. They’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one's on top, then that ones on top and on and on it spins, crushing the people on the ground.

TYRION: It’s a beautiful dream. Stopping the wheel. You’re not the first person to have dreamt it.

DAENERYS: I’m not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.

Presumably this means upending the political order of Westeros and the great houses. What would replace that would seemingly have to be more power for the small folk and lesser houses. Interestingly House Targaryen is included in the wheel.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've always assumed when Weiss told Benioff to read the books at the beginning he just went on wikis and skimmed through them. :p

I can't believe we're still talking about this minor point. I'm going to be so bummed when GoT is over.

The letter Robb read was sent to Winterfell, addressed to him, and in Sansa's handwriting. The letter Arya found was sent to Winterfell, addressed to Robb, and in Sansa's handwriting. It's not a copy. The only reason this makes sense is if Cercei made Sansa write two identical letters to the same person at the same address. Possible? Sure. But hardly likely.

Wait a second. Is this true? This can't be true.
Well actually, it is very likely that Sansa would have been made to write several copies.

Historically, messenger birds were considered an unreliable method of sending messages. Birds could get lost or attacked by predators on route, or intercepted by enemies. For this reason it was common for people to make several copies of messages they sent, as well they didn't use that method to send private or secret information.

Today you learned.

duckroll

Kinda funny how weak Season 4 was when it came out, and now that seasons 5-7 happened they made Season 4 look like Citizen Kane in comparison

Not really? I remember very positive reactions for S4. That's the one with Viper and the Mountain, Watchers on the Wall, and then Brienne vs Hound in the finale and Tyrion shooting Tywin right? Very strong finish. S5 and S7 are weaker, but S6 was probably the high point of the entire series.

bionic77

Stability and peace from strength.

Thats the only thing I could think of (something who is barely following the show and is more of a fan of the books).

Gigglepoo

Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald admitted today that they had thought Martin was holding D&D back and they now realize how very wrong they were. Even non-readers are catching on.

Well actually, it is very likely that Sansa would have been made to write several copies.

Historically, messenger birds were considered an unreliable method of sending messages. Birds could get lost or attacked by predators on route, or intercepted by enemies. For this reason it was common for people to make several copies of messages they sent, as well they didn't use that method to send private or secret information.

Today you learned.

Has this been in the show?

Sean C

Presumably this means upending the political order of Westeros and the great houses. What would replace that would seemingly have to be more power for the small folk and lesser houses. Interestingly House Targaryen is included in the wheel.
Dany has no idea what "breaking the wheel" means. It's just a slogan; she doesn't have any political program beyond taking the throne and ruling as best she can.

Yes. Seasons one and six were the best (season eight has yet to be seen, but it's doubtful to have better logic than this season). Hard to say which was better of the two.

that is likely, but i hope the showrunners will pay very close attention to the natural storytelling criticisms that s7 is facing so that the final season will avoid most if not all of it.

it would help if every episode is also 2 hours long.

B33

Banned
Dany has no idea what "breaking the wheel" means. It's just a slogan; she doesn't have any political program beyond taking the throne and ruling as best she can.

She still has two dragons she can burn you with, so just go with it.

Top Bottom