• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Ishan

Neil Marshall = Battle of Blackwater, Attack on Wall
Alex Graves = Viper vs Mountain, Brienne vs Hound
Miguel Sapochnik = Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, Cersei Play of the Game
Matt Shankman = Loot Train Attack

Bonus:
Jack Bender = Hold the Door (and the director of every important episode of Lost)

aah def miguel for any battle scenes/ epic tactial scenes. Even tho im not the biggest fan of battle of bastards (but nitpick territory there) .... yeah any of them ... bender hold the door was between tho .. .it had one critical scene so im not sold on him.

Ishan

Btw, was the title "Hold the door" revealed before the episode aired? And if so, did anyone guess the meaning of it correctly?

there was a an old hold the door is hodor joke on i think westeros.org (cant quite remember) but no one took it too seriously afaik/iirc

Also lol was looking up past directors and realized that d and d won an emmy for outstanding writing in a drama show for the bad pussy episode

Not that the emmys have any real clout but still

Dany

Banned
Yes, that's the beautiful part. The plot's the nonsense part.

Truth
Bonus:
Jack Bender = Hold the Door (and the director of every important episode of Lost)

That explains so much. Honestly, I havn't been paying much attention to the directors of each episode for some reason. Season 6 had some great episodes such as Hold the Door and the final two episodes. I still believe the standout episode for the season has been the Loot Train Attack*. Mostly because it served the gravitas of 'dorthraki screamers in westeros' very well.

Jombie

I wish Dany had captured Jamie and taken him to Dragonstone. They could have still gone out looking for a wight, albeit a less stupid plan (Bran could have been of some use), and we could have bypassed both segments of them in KL. Going beyond the wall was dumb, but it's even dumber having them all go to fucking KL.. why does anyone think Cersei is going to do anything other than try and retain the power she's been working for her entire life?

And one thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned that much: Brienne arguing with Sansa about going to KL in her place.. are you fucking kidding me?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Also lol was looking up past directors and realized that d and d won an emmy for outstanding writing in a drama show for the bad pussy episode

Not that the emmys have any real clout but still
Did you miss the gif of Olenna opening the carriage window to see D&D winning the writing Emmy then disgustingly closing it?

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Saw the episode last night - fun, if you don;t think about it too much.

The Hound absolutely had the best line with 'Every Lord I've ever met has been a cunt, I don't see why the Lord of Light should be any different.'

All the bullshit at Winterfell could be stopped if Bran stopped sitting in his room listening to Pink Floyd and had a conversation with his sisters. Arya has gone from being a favourite to being Shadow the Hedgehog.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Jon needs to die. Again.

GsK3KOl.jpg

Branduil

I still can't believe how awful the show's vision of the Three-Eyed Crow was. Imagine reading his description from the books and thinking "Yeah and old man sitting in a tree, sounds good."

Btw, was the title "Hold the door" revealed before the episode aired? And if so, did anyone guess the meaning of it correctly?

I recall reading somewhere than a fan guessed that Hodor = Hold the door a few years ago and asked Martin about it. He came to his conclusion due to something about an elevator that Martin had mentioned before. Obviously he didn't know what this meant in the context of the story, but I think Martin said something like "You don't know just how close you are".

If anyone has the source in that I'd love to see it again!

I recall reading somewhere than a fan guessed that Hodor = Hold the door a few years ago and asked Martin about it. He came to his conclusion due to something about an elevator that Martin had mentioned before. Obviously he didn't know what this meant in the context of the story, but I think Martin said something like "You don't know just how close you are".

If anyone has the source in that I'd love to see it again!

It was a forum post from...what...2009ish? It was an old forum post, but yeah that was pretty dang neat.

edit:

barit

I still can't believe how awful the show's vision of the Three-Eyed Crow was. Imagine reading his description from the books and thinking "Yeah and old man sitting in a tree, sounds good."

lol yeah when he was shown the first time on the TV show it was a huuuuuge letdown. In the books the Three-eyed crow is a scary motherfucker who melt into a tree with roots coming out of his freaking eyeholes. This would've been another really cool moment but again they screwed up. Same with Lady Stoneheart.. will never forgive them for removing her. It would've been the perfect ending for S3 when she stares in the damn camera but no D&D had different plans. Fuck that.

MudoSkills

Instead of getting LSH I've been sitting here waiting for Beric to die every time he's on screen, because surely he can't be important to the plot.

lol yeah when he was shown the first time on the TV show it was a huuuuuge letdown. In the books the Three-eyed crow is a scary motherfucker who melt into a tree with roots coming out of his freaking eyeholes. This would've been another really cool moment but again they screwed up. Same with Lady Stoneheart.. will never forgive them for removing her. It would've been the perfect ending for S3 when she stares in the damn camera but no D&D had different plans. Fuck that.
I think that stuff is really hard to translate to the screen though.

Neece

I was always against brining LSH to screen because I'm just not a big fan of it from the books. I like the shock of the chapter where she is revealed, but beyond that I don't like knowing undead Cat is stalking the riverlands. It undercuts the red wedding to me and I didn't want the TV show to have too many resurrections, so I wanted Jon to be the only big one.

But that was with the caveat that the writers would do a good job transferring LSH's plot to the Brotherhood, Arya, and some combination of Sansa, Brienne, Jaimie, and Wyman. I thought that would have adequately covered blood thirsty revenge and whatever the future held for Jaimie and Brienne.

But...good job they didn't do.

Better off that they left Cat dead. They already turned her from a tragic figure to a moron who deserved to get got. Same with Robb.

Instead of getting LSH I've been sitting here waiting for Beric to die every time he's on screen, because surely he can't be important to the plot.

I'm surprised they let him live. I was expecting him to be the one to make the heroic sacrifice instead of Jon/Benjen. Especially after he lost his Godmode respawn power.

But I guess they really wanted to kill Benjen, and there should be plenty of opportunities to kill Beric later.

IMO they should've has Dany command Viserion to attack the NK. That would remove the silliness of "Why didn't they just kill the NK?" and "Why did the NK go for the 3-pointer on Viserion instead of the easy lay-up on Drogon.
As a bonus it gives a direct and powerful scene showing that NK>Dragons. For bonus points, they could make him immune to dragonfire to emphasise the message that, "this is going to be a lot harder than just getting Dany to ganking the NK with her dragons".

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm surprised they let him live. I was expecting him to be the one to make the heroic sacrifice instead of Jon/Benjen. Especially after he lost his Godmode respawn power.

But I guess they really wanted to kill Benjen, and there should be plenty of opportunities to kill Beric later.

IMO they should've has Dany command Viserion to attack the NK. That would remove the silliness of "Why didn't they just kill the NK?" and "Why did the NK go for the 3-pointer on Viserion instead of the easy lay-up on Drogon.
As a bonus it gives a direct and powerful scene showing that NK>Dragons. For bonus points, they could make him immune to dragonfire to emphasise the message that, "this is going to be a lot harder than just getting Dany to ganking the NK with her dragons".
Again, much better than what we got. Someone posted on Reddit asoiaf about redoing the last two episode plots that were much better than what we got.

rashbeep

Banned

He at least had a disheveled look to him in s4. As opposed to just Max von Sydow.

Steejee

I could see him having some important role now with Thoros dead. I expect him to bite it in some sacrificial manner in the battle with the Night's King.

Funny interview with Alan Taylor where he admits they fudged the timeline for this weeks episode.

“We were aware that timing was getting a little hazy. We’ve got Gendry running back, ravens flying a certain distance, dragons having to fly back a certain distance…In terms of the emotional experience, [Jon and company] sort of spent one dark night on the island in terms of storytelling moments. We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there. I think that worked for some people, for other people it didn’t. They seemed to be very concerned about how fast a raven can fly but there’s a thing called plausible impossibilities, which is what you try to achieve, rather than impossible plausibilities. So I think we were straining plausibility a little bit, but I hope the story’s momentum carries over some of that stuff.”

“It’s cool that the show is so important to so many people that it’s being scrutinized so thoroughly. If the show was struggling, I’d be worried about those concerns, but the show seems to be doing pretty well so it’s OK to have people with those concerns

labx

Banned
inb4

Last scene of the season: Night King riding the zombie dragon spiting fire (or cold?) who knows, this is a fan fiction already.

edit: I don't think (unfortunately) that people want to read the books, after the show. I mean, the characters in the books are grounded in the "reality" of the Seven Kingdoms, No way a meeting like in ep. 7 can happen at all, or the fight in the frozen lake or the romance between Dani and Jon because if they would have children (by the miracle of the lord of light), they would be Jon's uncles. All this season has been a fan fiction show to pitch (of course, spin offs).

Will Viserion breath regular 'ol fire, do we think? I don't know why the mechanics of that part of a dragon would change but I expect it will. Maybe he'll breath ice, like a big lizard-shaped slush machine.

MudoSkills

Viserion will melt the wall, Varys and the other merlings (Jon and Jaime) will rule over Wateros.

The end.

Brakke

Banned
The craziest thing about the timeline this week wasn't that things travelled huge distances way too quickly -- that's just a thing that happens now -- but that it was a mess dramatically. Like this whole Boy's Trip was the first time we've seen someone travel in AGES. We went through most combinations of boy-on-boy chat. Fought a bear, set an ambush. So many long shots of vast wilderness terrain.

It was the first time in a long time that it *felt* like someone traveled a great distance, going deeper into the north. But then Gendry just runs it in apparently a few hours. There's fast-forwarding through boring downtime, which is at least a stylistic choice, but then there's this breaking physics in service of betraying the dramatic truth of the first third (or more?) of an episode.

If the dragon is the night's king's method of getting past the wall, people south of the wall were literally better of doing fuck all and just disregarding it.

If the dragon is the night's king's method of getting past the wall, people south of the wall were literally better of doing fuck all and just disregarding it.

Jon in S8E01

Really though, he's not just going to fly over it... right? It's not going to be a sort of 'once the seal is broken we can all pass through, and I need this other magical creature to break it' type of situation?

MudoSkills

I assumed they were going to melt part of the wall and just stroll on through. It's going to take fucking forever if they fly all the walkers over one at a time, and series 7 GoT does not have time for that.

Also, judicious Brasseye drop.

The craziest thing about the timeline this week wasn't that things travelled huge distances way too quickly -- that's just a thing that happens now -- but that it was a mess dramatically. Like this whole Boy's Trip was the first time we've seen someone travel in AGES. We went through most combinations of boy-on-boy chat. Fought a bear, set an ambush. So many long shots of vast wilderness terrain.

It was the first time in a long time that it *felt* like someone traveled a great distance, going deeper into the north. But then Gendry just runs it in apparently a few hours. There's fast-forwarding through boring downtime, which is at least a stylistic choice, but then there's this breaking physics in service of betraying the dramatic truth of the first third (or more?) of an episode.

Yup, this. Who cares about how fast ravens and dragons fly, that shit is for the birds (pun intended). But Gendry's run plus the fact that they somehow didn't freeze to death when being north of the wall, completely surrounded and exposed to the elements, was enough to make anyone, not just the regular show naysayers, go "hang on a minute". There's a million ways to write it more plausibly, too - they could've had a cage of ravens with them like Sam did in ACOK. They could've been holed up some place that it would be a little bit less unlikely that they didn't freeze to death. But it was just an avalanche (pun intended, again) of things that completely defy suspension of disbelief.

Top Bottom