• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Aiii

So not worth it
I thought he said he was hoping for us to read two books in the universe next year? Isn't the targaryan book a collaborative effort with other writers?

Oh sweet summer child. When GRRM says things like “I hope” it literally means he knows it is not happening but he won’t say it out loud. He already covered himself to release in 2019 without being called out for lying.

There will be no book in 2019 either.

Oh sweet summer child. When GRRM says things like “I hope” it literally means he knows it is not happening but he won’t say it out loud. He already covered himself to release in 2019 without being called out for lying.

There will be no book in 2019 either.

Your words hurt me :(

Tuck

I thought he said he was hoping for us to read two books in the universe next year? Isn't the targaryan book a collaborative effort with other writers?

IIRC he said he will hopefully have the lore book out in late 2018, maybe early 2019 and TWOW will be sometime after that.

So 2020, then.

oh wait next season isn't even 7 episodes? lol

well since they haven't begun filming hopefully they add at least one more ep, budget be damned

they're gonna have to wrap up a shitton of stuff in 6 episodes without making it feel rushed as hell
I think they are all longer episodes though.

Edzi

IIRC he said he will hopefully have the lore book out in late 2018, maybe early 2019 and TWOW will be sometime after that.

So 2020, then.

lol

People are insane if they think he's ever going to finish. It makes me sad, but it is what it is. Martin deserves all the shit he's been getting though, it's clear that he's actively sabotaging himself when he could have been working towards getting the series finished.

TheXbox

So 2020, then.
He didn't say when TWOW would release relative to Fire and Blood I. He only suggested that we might get two ASOIAF books in 2018. From his livejournal:

No publication date has been set yet, but it's likely that we will get the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD out in late 2018 or early 2019... Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two.

ZOONAMI

lol

People are insane if they think he's ever going to finish. It makes me sad, but it is what it is. Martin deserves all the shit he's been getting though, it's clear that he's actively sabotaging himself when he could have been working towards getting the series finished.

He should really just focus on putting out one final 1000 pager to cap off the series. He's seriously writing a book on Targs instead right now? Sigh.

I'm curious how the HODOR moment will play out in the hypothetical book. I found the execution on the show so unintentionally hilarious that I could not stop laughing. Just the idea of "Here's the LORE for Hodor's name!" broke me inside.

I'm curious how the HODOR moment will play out in the hypothetical book. I found the execution on the show so unintentionally hilarious that I could not stop laughing. Just the idea of "Here's the LORE for Hodor's name!" broke me inside.

POV chapter from young hodor would be interesting.

I'm not sure where it will take place. There being a door under a tree always confused me.

I think it will split between two different chapters. 1 where we see Willas breakdown and another where he actually dies and Bran connects the dots between the two events, or the other way around. I really doubt we'll see it split as it was in the show, where it cuts back and forth between past & present.

Hey book readers, can I ask you a question as someone who hasn't read the books? Has there been any insinuation about the White Walkers obtaining a dragon in the books?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Hey book readers, can I ask you a question as someone who hasn't read the books? Has there been any insinuation about the White Walkers obtaining a dragon in the books?

there's been some talk of ice dragons i think, but nothing concrete. dany is not even close to arriving at westeros.

There's lore of a ice dragon, Old Nan used to tell the story to the Stark Children. GRRM also wrote a book about an ice dragon.

If it was an event in the books I feel D&D would have done their spiel of 'We couldn't believe when George told us...'

Joni

To be fair, one of the dragons falling seemed like something we all guessed. We can just hope it is better executed in the books.

Gigglepoo

I can't even remember Dany interacting with Viserion and Rhaegal. Other than when they were really young, it's just been Drogon, Drogon, Drogon. Talk about playing favorites with your children.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I can't even remember Dany interacting with Viserion and Rhaegal. Other than when they were really young, it's just been Drogon, Drogon, Drogon. Talk about playing favorites with your children.

even cersei loved all her kids. dany just gets madder by the day.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I mean, when you name one of your children after the brother who sold you into slavery and wanted to rape you, it's pretty clear you didn't like him very much right off the bat.

Aiii

So not worth it

You give your attention and love to the bottom bitch, who then keeps the rest of the workers in line. Pimping 101

Gigglepoo

I mean, when you name one of your children after the brother who sold you into slavery and wanted to rape you, it's pretty clear you didn't like him very much right off the bat.

"I'm sad Viserion died."
"I'm sorry, Dany, I can't imagine losing a child."
"My brother used to call me Dany. His name was Viserys. I hated him."
"..."
"Bend the knee."

Ridesh

Banned
inb4

Last scene of the season: Night King riding the zombie dragon spiting fire (or cold?) who knows, this is a fan fiction already.

edit: I don't think (unfortunately) that people want to read the books, after the show. I mean, the characters in the books are grounded in the "reality" of the Seven Kingdoms, No way a meeting like in ep. 7 can happen at all, or the fight in the frozen lake or the romance between Dani and Jon because if they would have children (by the miracle of the lord of light), they would be Jon's uncles. All this season has been a fan fiction show to pitch (of course, spin offs).

I have bad news for you

DEADLINE: With over 10 million viewers watching the 9 PM broadcast and growing each week, plus all those on the other platforms, I think it’s pretty clear they are going to stick around, if for nothing else to see what brews up between Jon and Dany…

TAYLOR: (Laughs) There’s been an inevitability to the two of them coming together. It’s been foreshadowed over and over again, and those who know the books know it’s inevitable, but that doesn’t tell you anything about how it’s going to play out or how it’s going to go. I remember when I was doing Season 1 and we were on location in Malta, and George R. R. Martin came to visit. He was sitting in a chair, and he was being really quite open about things that were to come…

DEADLINE: About Jon and Dany or Game of Thrones in general?

TAYLOR: Bit of both, but it was early days and nobody was paying attention to the show. We didn’t really know what a phenomenon it was going to be, and I think he was being less guarded than we’ve become since then. Anyways, he alluded to the fact that Jon and Dany were the point, kind of. That, at the time, there was a huge, vast array of characters, and Jon was a lowly, you know, bastard son. So it wasn’t clear to us at the time, but he did sort of say things that made it clear that the meeting and the convergence of Jon and Dany were sort of the point of the series.
http://deadline.com/2017/08/game-of...ylor-beyond-the-wall-season-7-hbo-1202152264/

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'm convinced that the Winds chapters that have been released so far are all that he has written for the book

it would be interesting to hear what exactly is the hold up this time. if he had just been "it's ready when it's ready" the whole time, you could just think that he's not been writing very much. but in 2015 he thought he could finish by halloween, and later by the end of the year. two years later an optimistic estimate is maybe 2019. what happened there? did he realise he fucked something up and had to do massive rewrites?

Brakke

Banned
It's pretty wild that nobody on the show really said out loud that Dany should marry Jon for the alliance. Is her being barren just totally preclude political marriage? I liked that Tyrion brought up the succession at least.

It's pretty wild that nobody on the show really said out loud that Dany should marry Jon for the alliance. Is her being barren just totally preclude political marriage? I liked that Tyrion brought up the succession at least.

Eh, for one you don't ask the dragon queen to marry you, and nobody will suggest it to her because she's scary and burning.

It kind of insures a new war after she is gone. She might appoint someone, but who... as far as they know, she has no family around, so nobody has a claim. She can't pick favorites among the houses, because they will get upset. Marrying Jon for an alliance, well, they have no kids, so afterwards both the North and the other parts don't have a clear king now.

Tyrion is right to be thinking about this. Next civil was is already in the making this way.

Big-E

Watched it last night, really just want to echo what was said. Really stupid episode with baffling decisions. Jon fighting wights for seemingly no reason when everyone was already on the dragon. Camera then pulls to show that the night king is kind of close to show that he was going to try to get to him but that is still fucking moronic. .

The bear fight was stupid too. Seemed like they all went in one at a time and didn't help each other.

it would be interesting to hear what exactly is the hold up this time. if he had just been "it's ready when it's ready" the whole time, you could just think that he's not been writing very much. but in 2015 he thought he could finish by halloween, and later by the end of the year. two years later an optimistic estimate is maybe 2019. what happened there? did he realise he fucked something up and had to do massive rewrites?

Too many people think because they know how to read books, they also know how they are written, so they decide that GRRM is lazy, or disinterested in the material, or selfish for wanting to watch football, etc. A naturally-slow writer, he works on an antiquated word processor, using one finger to type, he only works from home, takes time off, works on other projects, and so on. But, most of his problems stem from not working on the book as a whole, but working on individual POV from start-to-finish, and then switching. He might have finished Dany's entire arc, but hasn't even started on Jon's story (he also apparently reads the previous chapters of that character to regain the voice, but I'm not sure of how far back he goes); I think he alluded to something like that recently, "hoping to do [it] justice" when [it] happened seasons ago in the show. He will also explore whatever ideas he has, by writing them out in full, before deciding they didn't work and starting over. He's his own worst enemy.

dabig2

Oh lol. Hizdahr. What a putz.

I barely remember him in the show, but that's probably because I lobomitized myself during S5.

And I forgot to include this video from the finale last season, but you're right Brakke, it's weird how political marriage hasn't been brought up when Dany herself stated that she needed to make political alliances via marriage in her break-up with Daario.

For those that forgot:
https://youtu.be/x6EIcOECVk8?t=60

So yeah, King in the North who already has an alliance with The Vale and whose family has connections with the old ruling class of The Riverlands (thus shouldn't be difficult to inspire rebellion against the hated Freys and Lannisters) is a pretty damn good match and they were obviously planning for this possibility ahead of their invasion. I'm surprised Tyrion didn't propose this during their back-and-forth in episode 2. Maybe Jon spouting off about the army of the dead threw them off?

I mean the real reason of course is the writers wanting to build tension and drama as they attempted to get Jon and Dany to fall in love naturally, but story-wise, I'm surprised we didn't even get a dialog talking about the possibility since he's young, hot, and comes with 2 regions already in opposition to their common enemy - the Lannisters.

Top Bottom