• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Iterestingly, it feels like HBO also held back with Rome despite the stories about the insane production budget. I mean, aside from the first episode they straight up skipped every battle.

It features some insane set/production design work - Iook at any scene involving the Forum. Quite a range of locations, as well.

And Vikings? Heh. They do a decent job of hiding it, but you can tell they're filming "massive" battles with a few dozen extras.

jett

D-Member
Iterestingly, it feels like HBO also held back with Rome despite the stories about the insane production budget. I mean, aside from the first episode they straight up skipped every battle.

The money went, rightfully, into massive, intricately-made sets.

And it was made in 2004. CGI obviously hadn't progressed to the point where you can have the stuff GoT has on TV and not bankrupt your ass.

Hazmat

They definitely didn't hold back with Rome. It might have been more popular if they'd spent their money on huge battles, but that wasn't what the show was. And the biggest chunk of battle they show, I think, was Antony and Octavian taking out Brutus and Cassius in season 2.

They definitely didn't hold back with Rome. It might have been more popular if they'd spent their money on huge battles, but that wasn't what the show was. And the biggest chunk of battle they show, I think, was Antony and Octavian taking out Brutus and Cassius in season 2.

Yea, that was the only battle they showed. Anthony's fleet defeat with Cleopatra abandoning him was a huge naval battle of the ancient world. All you saw was some planks of wood floating.

The problem was Rome came out at the wrong time. TV shows get far bigger budgets now and the CG work is better and less costly.

Maybe one day someone will do a proper 5 seasons of Rome starting with the Triumvirate to rise of Augustus.

Mr Git

American English is closer to Old English than any of the British accents...

Old English isn't Middle English or Early Modern English.
Geordie, Scouse and Scots all have phonological remnants of both Old Norse as well as reconstructed Old English. AmE has very little in common with Old English, either Prehistoric, early or late. Sōþlīċe. :p

bitbydeath

I know next to nothing about Vikings, budgets and tv series whatsoever but damn these battles looked cheap compared to Game of Thrones lol.

Those videos are heavily edited, eg. The one labeled 'The first Paris attack' only shows 5mins, however that particular battle goes for 28min.

The battles are much larger than anything GOT has ever done.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
My point was Vikings looks to have a far larger budget than GOT yet not the same viewership, hence why HBO are cheaping out.
Am I taking crazy pills?
Anyone else feel like HBO cheaped out on the show?

Vikings which is no where near as popular had a 10 episode season one with a total budget of 40m.

Season 4 is now 20 episodes long and still is no where near as popular, the production values have also gone up a long way since the first season.

Vikings is also very good at battle scenes, something GOT has never been the best at.
Omg yes I am!

Vikings is impressive and sure a large production. But Game of Thrones is probably double that.

For example, Vikings is shot mostly in Ireland. For Game of Thrones they do Ireland, Croatia, Iceland, Spain and more. That adds a lot of costs, more crews needed, closing off locations, etc. The main cast is also larger. And they need to do a ton of effects compared to Vikings to have everything come to live and fill in the locations and such.

Alan Taylor would accuse him of nitpicking. There are dragons! Who cares about rape when there are dragons?

I'm not against sexual violence happening in a story.

I'm not against men like the Hound acting like a cunt about it.

I'm against the fanbases (and honestly societal) double standard than men being victims of sexual violence is fine/funny.

hoos30

If you're ever bored, go back and read the original thread from 2007 when this show was first announced.

Some of the casting suggestions even on the very first page are completely silly. For instance:

Eddard - Sean Bean (he did nail this prediction obviously)
Catelyn - Kate Walsh (Addison on Grey's Anatomy)
Cersei - Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet on Lost)
Jaime - Val Kilmer
Tywin - Clancy Brown
Robert - John Goodman
Dany - Kristen Bell
Littlefinger - Robert Knepper (Teabag on Prison Break)
The Hound - Adam Baldwin
The Mountain - The Big Show
Renly - Chris Evans
Margery - Michelle Trachtenberg
Theon - Jason Dohring (Logan on Veronica Mars)
Balon - Christopher Lee
Doran - Cirian Hinds

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138403&highlight=song+of+ice+fire

Every time the critics come down hard on GOT, I go back to that thread for laughs.

That was the first season, even if that same figure (highly unlikely given the production jump) that's still.

GOT = 100M
Vikings = 80M
Comparing a "season" budget if the season's aren't the same number of episodes is pointless. TV shows are produced, budgeted for, and credited for individual episodes, so the metric that's comparable is spend per episode.

Vikings season four is a 20 episode season. $80 million on that is still $4 million/per episode. It's likely not $4 anymore though, maybe Vikings is costing 5 or 6 per episode. Even so, we don't know any exact figures across seasons what the budgets are for either series, it seems like quite the leap to assume that Vikings is even close to as expensive as GoT, let alone costs more.

As a kicker, there's probably not a lot of financial sense in Vikings being in a cost ballpark with GoT, season 4 averaged 2.2 million viewers and a 0.6 average 18-49 demo rating.

Turin

Banned
I'm not against sexual violence happening in a story.

I'm not against men like the Hound acting like a cunt about it.

I'm against the fanbases (and honestly societal) double standard than men being victims of sexual violence is fine/funny.

I remember the tepid response to the Leftovers rape scene in S2. A few articles praised the show for handling the subject better than GoT and many were dismissive or disinterested in talking about the scene.

Apparently, people even post gifs of it on tumblr because they thought it was hot.

Fisico

Those videos are heavily edited, eg. The one labeled 'The first Paris attack' only shows 5mins, however that particular battle goes for 28min.

The battles are much larger than anything GOT has ever done.

On these videos it's not really about the length (I did notice they were edited of course) but rather the scale, shaky cam and only a few dozens of actors at best, you don't really see many fighting at the same time, no global overview of the battlefield (maybe there are in the full battles though?), not a big amount 3D CG to make seem the battle bigger (additional characters, background, smoke effects etc.)

bitbydeath

Comparing a "season" budget if the season's aren't the same number of episodes is pointless. TV shows are produced, budgeted for, and credited for individual episodes, so the metric that's comparable is spend per episode.

Vikings season four is a 20 episode season. $80 million on that is still $4 million/per episode. It's likely not $4 anymore though, maybe Vikings is costing 5 or 6 per episode. Even so, we don't know any exact figures across seasons what the budgets are for either series, it seems like quite the leap to assume that Vikings is even close to as expensive as GoT, let alone costs more.

As a kicker, there's probably not a lot of financial sense in Vikings being in a cost ballpark with GoT, season 4 averaged 2.2 million viewers and a 0.6 average 18-49 demo rating.

If it were 5m per episode that'd be the same amount they spent on GOT season 6, 6m would obviously put it higher. I'm just saying with GOT having 26m viewers I think HBO should provide a much larger budget which could have lead to better overall scenes and less rush to the end.

On these videos it's not really about the length (I did notice they were edited of course) but rather the scale, shaky cam and only a few dozens of actors at best, you don't really see many fighting at the same time, no global overview of the battlefield (maybe there are in the full battles though?), not a big amount 3D CG to make seem the battle bigger (additional characters, background, smoke effects etc.)

The video doesn't show it properly but the Vikings are attacking from two sides, over in the water scaling the walls they are in the hundreds.

Really good show, took a few episodes to get into it though as it was a bit overwhelming to understand all that was going on at first.

Brakke

Banned
Talking budgets here is pretty pointless. Two networks have different business models. HBO isn't selling ads against GoT episodes. Also I dunno where budget numbers come from but do they include GRR's cut? Does operating HBO Go servers count into the budget (obviously not)?

Just seems like such a sloppy, imperfect comparison to make all in service of some vague, limp criticism.

duckroll

If it were 5m per episode that'd be the same amount they spent on GOT season 6, 6m would obviously put it higher. I'm just saying with GOT having 26m viewers I think HBO should provide a much larger budget which could have lead to better overall scenes and less rush to the end.

GoT's budget for S6 was about 100 million for 10 episodes. S7 probably has the same budget for 7 episodes. S8 might have as high or higher a budget for 6 episodes. That's the upper limit for budgtet. If you spend more than 100 million a season on a 13 episode or less series, it gets hard to justify. Netflix has cancelled both The Get Down and Sense8 because they realized hiring big Hollywood directors to helm 120+ million dollar seasons is a good way for them to bleed money dry.

A bigger budget does not result in better scenes or less rush either. That all falls on the production crew and how they manage the options they have. It's not a formula where you can pour more money into to make better. GoT has no fixed timetable. It has no fixed episode count. It has no fixed runtime for each episode. HBO was pretty much ready to give the showrunners any number of episodes they needed, and as much time per season to finish what they want. That's even more valuable than money. Yet this is what they come up with so it's clearly not a money problem.

Burt

I like to headcanon that Jon kept killing wights instead of getting on the dragon because he had to make up for Olly fucking with his KDA.

Gigglepoo

Preston Jacobs pointed out that the show might be stronger if Martin hadn't given D&D a roadmap. It's a pretty good point. Writing with super specific plot points in mind can be much harder than letting things develop naturally. Now we have a scenario where D&D are trying to get where Martin pointed them which is kind of the worst scenario.

Branduil

Preston Jacobs pointed out that the show might be stronger if Martin hadn't given D&D a roadmap. It's a pretty good point. Writing with super specific plot points in mind can be much harder than letting things develop naturally. Now we have a scenario where D&D are trying to get where Martin pointed them which is kind of the worst scenario.

Maybe if Martin hadn't given himself a roadmap he could actually finish the fucking books.

bitbydeath

GoT's budget for S6 was about 100 million for 10 episodes. S7 probably has the same budget for 7 episodes. S8 might have as high or higher a budget for 6 episodes. That's the upper limit for budgtet. If you spend more than 100 million a season on a 13 episode or less series, it gets hard to justify. Netflix has cancelled both The Get Down and Sense8 because they realized hiring big Hollywood directors to helm 120+ million dollar seasons is a good way for them to bleed money dry.

A bigger budget does not result in better scenes or less rush either. That all falls on the production crew and how they manage the options they have. It's not a formula where you can pour more money into to make better. GoT has no fixed timetable. It has no fixed episode count. It has no fixed runtime for each episode. HBO was pretty much ready to give the showrunners any number of episodes they needed, and as much time per season to finish what they want. That's even more valuable than money. Yet this is what they come up with so it's clearly not a money problem.

But if they have 26m viewers at $10 per month over 2 months.

That's 520m, for a show as special as this they should allow for a larger budget as it certainly earns them the dough.

bitbydeath

Many of those viewers would subscribe anyway either out of inertia or because they watch other HBO shows. You can’t say all of that money comes from GOT

True, it's still a lot of pie though, throwing in just another 100m could go a long way.

bitbydeath

A long way to what? GoT isn't the only show HBO makes and the showrunners aren't asking for more budget. The audience is mostly very happy with the show too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. But a lot of parts have either been cut or cut short due to budget constraints, season 2 for example could have easily been made into 2 seasons or better yet just longer seasons.

Timbuktu

I know next to nothing about Vikings, budgets and tv series whatsoever but damn these battles looked cheap compared to Game of Thrones lol.

I honestly prefer The Last Kingdom. That show might not have the budget and just burns through the plot from the books; its battles convey the tactics quite well though and are quite varied.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. But a lot of parts have either been cut or cut short due to budget constraints, season 2 for example could have easily been made into 2 seasons or better yet just longer seasons.
That has nothing to do with budget, but with what the showrunners want. HBO is not going: you can only make 8 seasons and this is the total budget. Longer seasons might not be possible, since you still need to make it in the same time span.

If it was up to HBO management, they would probably run this stuff for more seasons. But you also got to deal with the writers, actors and rest of the team that might not want to keep going forever.

This is why they are going to do spin-offs, because HBO wants more Game of Thrones and throw money at it.

CloudWolf

Is there proof to this or you're just being speculative?

I'm sorry I don't follow much the thread or the showbiz stream.
Game of Thrones is a major moneymaker for HBO, it doesn't make sense that they would want to get rid of it. D&D on the other hand definitely want to be done so they can start with their Confederate show.

Top Bottom