• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Burt

Um, isn't that the armor from that god-awful Dracula Untold movie?

You know, the funny thing about that movie is that despite that overwrought set piece armor that whoever stole for the Rhaegar fan art, that movie actually has really, really good costume design.

duckroll

Also wonder if next season Cersei's hair is finally gonna grow back a noticeable amount.

Leaked concept art of Cersei next season:

sAPAU8C.jpg

Brakke

Banned
Honestly don't get people wierded out by Rhaegar reusing a name. Dude was always a straight dirtbag.

If you're willing to set aside your Dornish wife to start over with a Stark wife, why wouldn't you be willing to set aside your Dornish kids to start over and try again?

Honestly don't get people wierded out by Rhaegar reusing a name. Dude was always a straight dirtbag.

If you're willing to set aside your Dornish wife to start over with a Stark wife, why wouldn't you be willing to set aside your Dornish kids to start over and try again?

seriously

he probably knew or hoped his bastard kids were dead

and obviously he was more concerned with the prophecy(How poetic to have the kid of the prophecy be named Aegon?) if he was ready to break allegiance to the south, him naming his kid the same name isn't farfetched.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I feel a little underwhelmed at this season finale and this season as a whole. They could have connected the major beats more intelligently. The whole let's concoct a stupid plan to capture a wight and whoopsie now they have a dragon thing just seems....poorly constructed.

f0lken

I'll make a prediction, Jon Aegon Snow Albus Severus Targaryen will pull a Pirates of the Caribean and become the new Night's King and then he will pull back the dead north of the wall. Daenerys will die and Dany/Jon's son will be raised by Tyrion as the new Kig of the Seven Kingdoms

Man the people in this thread really don't like Theon, other than maybe some overly long pauses his scene was the definitive best scene of the episode as far as I'm concerned (with Jaime covering his gold hand as a second).
Also if you actually thought Theon would die here then that's your fault, nothing indicated that whatsoever by any convention of storytelling or by where his arc has clearly been leading since book 2/season 2.

Theon is such a strong character from GRRM that even the adaption intrinsically gives his scenes a higher level of quality compared to the rest.

GreyWind

I'll make a prediction, Jon Aegon Snow Albus Severus Targaryen will pull a Pirates of the Caribean and become the new Night's King and then he will pull back the dead north of the wall. Daenerys will die and Dany/Jon's son will be raised by Tyrion as the new Kig of the Seven Kingdoms

I'm okay with this.

Will any of the two dragons survive?

Azzanadra

Man the people in this thread really don't like Theon, other than maybe some overly long pauses his scene was the definitive best scene of the episode as far as I'm concerned (with Jaime covering his gold hand as a second).
Also if you actually thought Theon would die here then that's your fault, nothing indicated that whatsoever by any convention of storytelling or by where his arc has clearly been leading since book 2/season 2.

Theon is such a strong character from GRRM that even the adaption intrinsically gives his scenes a higher level of quality compared to the rest.

He's honestly overstayed his welcome on the show, there is no point in keeping him around. Remember that he only showed up in three books, and was only a major character in two!

Theon will be beheaded by Stannis in The Winds of Winter and that'l be that. We got our redemption arc when he saved fArya, no need to keep this shit going.

I'm dying XD

Having dany and jon stay alive and reign together in peace. That's fanfic-tier. Martin would kill at least one of those. Maybe have Jon rule alone, with only Drogon and his child with Daenerys. Jon is basically Ice and Fire, anyway.

Martin hasn't killed a significant ASOIAF character in like 16 years. He's only killed a few non-guest POV characters throughout his millions of words. So no, I don't think that is a given.

Moff

I didn't like the scene because I do love theon and Alfie Allen has delivered some of the best performances in the show. But that here was just not good.

Brakke

Banned
Martin hasn't killed a significant ASOIAF character in like 16 years. He's only killed a few non-guest POV characters throughout his millions of words. So no, I don't think that is a given.

For real. Last POV death was... fucken Quentyn I guess? Significant death before that was...?

I guess he did perma-kill Jon
because he'll never release a book with the resurrection

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Don't forget that kid will marry Cersei's new daughter Joanna.

For real. Last POV death was... fucken Quentyn I guess? Significant death before that was...?

I guess he did perma-kill Jon
because he'll never release a book with the resurrection

Ned and Catelyn are the only main POV characters to die, and Cat didn't stay dead. GRRM's reputation for killing off characters is overstated.

Huh. You're kinda right. He didn't kill the Hound, and Jon is also coming back. Still, I don't expect a happy ending from him.

Mortemis

Banned
RIP Lord Baelish. I almost cried when they started listing off his accomplishments, just reminding us what he was and what they turned him into, a joke. :(

F

Ishan

while i agree some shortcuts on shows you think grrm is going to resolve all the plot points well in two books is also unrealistic at this stage just aint gonna happen and end goal atleast jordan was willing to let someone else complete it.

He's honestly overstayed his welcome on the show, there is no point in keeping him around. Remember that he only showed up in three books, and was only a major character in two!

Theon will be beheaded by Stannis in The Winds of Winter and that'l be that. We got our redemption arc when he saved fArya, no need to keep this shit going.

Nope, it's simple
Maybe Theon doesn't have a clear arc on the show which makes it seem as though they're treading water a bit,but this:
"Remember that he only showed up in three books, and was only a major character in two!" literally makes no sense.

Theon is a main character, he only had PoVs in two books because those are the only two that required him to be a PoV, while Thrones had constant set up from the first chapter on for what his character would come to be and he's the main face of a major house.

Theon wasn't in books 3 and 4 (only talked about in them) because George had no reason to show his torture unlike the show where that was needed to keep him relevant and show what we wouldn't get in his internal monologue.

Jaime was only in two books as a point of view aside from a single PoV in Dance, that doesn't make him less important but people love to throw that ball at Theon.

Theon is one of the biggest movers in the seires, his actions in book 2 is what paved the way for the Bolton takeover, pushed Bran's plot into motion, caused Robb to seek Jeyne for comfort which lead to the Red Wedding,and caused more in regards to the Kingsmoot and beyond.
There's nothing to be dismissed about that, not to mention book 5 content.

The idea that Stannis will execute Theon is laughable, it's not happening, his arc has a long way to go before he gets the sweet release of death (if even that).
There's character development that needs to be done (such as fully excepting the murder of the millers boys which he has yet to do),reunions (people have been theorizing about his reunion with Jon for years), he'll probably play a role in the taking back of Winterfell and has valuable info on Ramsay he's yet to relay to Stannis, probably going to meet back up with Dagmer Cleftjaw who's still holding Tohhrens Square, and so much more.

Bran's just going to do some magic mumnojumbo to do something that ends up needing Theon to stay alive longer, he's not going to be sacrificed, it's laid out so clearly that I can't fathom why anyone has been expecting his death in the show or books.

Edit: not to mention that Theon was recently talked about by George as being a foil to Jon and how his arc is struggling through to be a hero, or Ramsay being specifically created for him because he "needed something to bite Theon in the ass", and I doubt all that was just for the jump off of Winterfell

Kain

Will watch later and haven't read nothing here, but I'm going to go on a limb here and say the season ends with Syndragosa melting the wall.

Dysun

Rhaegar looks like they found an old Viserys costume and stuck it on an extra.
Lame as fuck

Viserion taking down the wall was pretty good

Snake

Finale didn't do much for me. Better than I would have expected considering the rest of the season, but it all still just feels rushed and events have no real weight to them. The zombie dragon breath was about as well done as I could expect, but the fall of The Wall itself failed to excite.

I gotta say though, the complaints about Jon being named Aegon are classic book purist derangement. And I feel like it'll go similarly to "hold the door," where initially a number of people were acting like it's so stupid and there's no way that happens in the books, followed by the gradual realization that, yeah, the show didn't just make up such a specific explanation for Hodor's state, and once they realize it's obviously a part of theoretical future books they mysteriously became a lot less critical of it.

Ever since the House of the Undying, book readers have been speculating that the character which Vision Rhaegar refers to as Aegon and says that "his is the song of ice and fire," is in fact Jon and not the other Aegon. So it was always a possibility that whatever prophecies he was into led him to naming two sons the same thing. I don't even see how this is a debate, unless people really just haven't read the books in a long time and don't remember this stuff.

Chirotera

Banned
Ever since the House of the Undying, book readers have been speculating that the character which Vision Rhaegar refers to as Aegon and says that "his is the song of ice and fire," is in fact Jon and not the other Aegon. So it was always a possibility that whatever prophecies he was into led him to naming two sons the same thing. I don't even see how this is a debate, unless people really just haven't read the books in a long time and don't remember this stuff.

Jon: "You know Dany, we really are the song of ice and fire."

jobrro

I loved the finale.

Especially the first half, where people with connections from the past were giving each other dirty looks and occasionally exchanging actual conversation every now and then.

I've been watching since S1 but have never re-watched (or re-read, given the thread) but this episode sort of made me want to go back once we have a date for next season.

KHlover

Banned
while i agree some shortcuts on shows you think grrm is going to resolve all the plot points well in two books is also unrealistic at this stage just aint gonna happen and end goal atleast jordan was willing to let someone else complete it.
Maybe the reason the remaining books take so long is because they're 5000 pages each :p

Top Bottom