• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Kill3r7

...but they didn't have food, how could they have afforded to march all the way down to KL?

Also did they just give up on ever showing Dorne again? Who is ruling there now and what the hell is the Dornish army doing? Does anyone care?

Also how are the Dothraki and Unsullied even going to help against the WW if they don't have dragonflies?

Also are both Tyrion and Varys really stupid enough to believe Cersei at face value? Did neither of them think to leave a single scout/spy in KL?

At this point logic has been thrown out the window in the name of mindless entertainment. Suspension of disbelief is mandatory and no deep analysis is required.

mokeyjoe

There was plenty of material they could have adapted from that is much better than what we got. And they are very good works of fiction. I'm not really sure why you are writing them off. They could have had all of Season 6, be material from late ADWD and early to mid Winds. Season 7 could have been second half of Winds/early ADOS, and Season 8 could have been the rest of ADOS. D&D however just want the show to be over with. And they will make terrible plots if they can get there faster. And accelerate the pacing or slow it down as much as they want.

I am in no way writing off the books by saying they aren't perfect. I enjoy them very much. But they are to literature what GoT is to television, no more, no less. And arguably the book side of things is getting dragged out by GRRM's self-indulgence as much as the show is being wrapped up hurriedly. Personally 7 seasons is enough for any show for me, so I'm glad they're coming to a conclusion swiftly. There are very few shows that run for as long as GoT and remain entertaining.

ZOONAMI

So had it actually been established before that dragonglass could kill wights? I thought it had only been used to kill a white walker

I didn't think it had. I thought the weights could just be killed by smashing them to bits. Apparently not. I mean effectively they can be, as spitting them in two or decapitation them makes them relatively useless.

Laplasakos

Why didn't the mountain kill or try to kill Jamie? Cercsi gave the command and I doubt he's smart enough to pick up on subtiles or that she pre planned the psychout with him before hand. Maybe she indicated to him not to and it was a poorly shot scene.

I was wondering the same. I mean she gave the nod. Did she said to him before the meeting that if she nods he just grabs his sword and only if she says '' kill'' he starts killing? Probably a poorly executed scene. The Mountain was pretty much useless this season. Only thing he did was taking 2 steps and grabbing his sword. In the next season he will probably fight with his brother but this is so predictable. I was expecting more.

They did what all armies do. They took food from people along the way.
The same army from the person who freed them and all slaves and is trying her best to not seem like a conqueror?

And yes I've gotta love how they somehow grew in size after getting slaughtered at Casterly Rock.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I am in no way writing off the books by saying they aren't perfect. I enjoy them very much. But they are to literature what GoT is to television, no more, no less. And arguably the book side of things is getting dragged out by GRRM's self-indulgence as much as the show is being wrapped up hurriedly. Personally 7 seasons is enough for any show for me, so I'm glad they're coming to a conclusion swiftly. There are very few shows that run for as long as GoT and remain entertaining.
I disagree with you about the comments about the comparisons, but do not wish to seek an argument based on much subjectiveness.

That being said, I do find your comment about 7 seasons being enough for any show and here's why. Wouldn't it depend on the length of the show episodes and how many episodes there were per season? Game of Thrones arguably is on the short-scale when it comes to episodes. It normally has only ten per season, except Seasons 7 & 8, while most dramas are actually 13 episodes per season. There is also the fact if we compare it to network television, which usually has around 20 episodes. That further complicates the argument around 7 Seasons being enough, since at that point they could have double the number of episodes Game of Thrones has. However, I do see your point, as it all depends on the story they are trying to tell and if that particular show appears to be dragging it out for too long. Which could be said with the amount time it takes Dany to get to Westeros.

So where does S07 rank for everyone now that it's over?

Save a couple of neat sequences this was probably the second worst season for me, so 1>3>4=2>6>7>5. Literally all that saved it was the ending of 'Spoils of War' and 'Beyond the Wall'. I consider 'Hardhome' to be better than both of them, but S07's low points weren't quite as low as S05 so it just nudges it out.

jett

D-Member
PS I'm still in legit shock that Jaime is still alive after this season.

Personally I'm annoyed that Cersei is still kicking it. Honestly not much seems to have changed overall. Dany came to Westeros and has done...nothing, besides shacking up with her nephew.

hoos30

I mean yeah it was clear something was off but from the characters' perspectives it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's not like LF was there and they were putting on a show for his benefit. It would've made more sense if we'd seen him or someone spying on them in that moment or something. It was, as you say, cheap misdirection.

How do you know LF wasn't there? He is known for lurking in the shadows and peeping through walls.

NimbusD

I was wondering the same. I mean she gave the nod. Did she said to him before the meeting that if she nods he just grabs his sword and only if she says '' kill'' he starts killing? Probably a poorly executed scene. The Mountain was pretty much useless this season. Only thing he did was taking 2 steps and grabbing his sword. In the next season he will probably fight with his brother but this is so predictable. I was expecting more.
This show is full of that. Did the stark kids talk beforehand that they were going to have a mock trial? Or did Sansa really make Arya think for a second she was going to jail or kill her? Same with all the bannermen, cuz none of them objected despite there being no evidence. (An aside that the idea of someone in the stark family just slitting someone's throat after a farce of a trial is pretty friggen dumb.)

When exactly did cersei have time to discuss with during "hey so when they bring out this creature that we don't believe exists, you're going to make a scene and leave but actually go get the golden company while we go north, actually, I won't even agree to help at first it'll take a second conversation and then I'll agree to go north for dramatic effect. Genius!"

Outside of the first watch where things unfold I'ma narratively "shocking" fashion, the characters actions and motivations don't hold up internally.

The writing is getting so sloppy and it makes this shit really hard to enjoy imo. I mean I'll enjoy seeing an ice dragon and shit, but anything not that is a huge eye roll.

Zabka

The same army from the person who freed them and all slaves and is trying her best to not seem like a conqueror?

And yes I've gotta love how they somehow grew in size after getting slaughtered at Casterly Rock.

Yup, people with spears gotta eat.

The boats were destroyed after they landed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When Bran says that he "remembers everything", he must be exaggerating since he didn't remember Rhaegar's and Lyanna's marriage until Sam told him about it.

NimbusD

When Bran says that he "remembers everything", he must be exaggerating since he didn't remember Rhaegar's and Lyanna's marriage until Sam told him about it.
Yeah that scene was so stupid lol. "I know everything, oh hey Sam why are you here?"

Such a shoehorned in scene.

Quick question that I'm sure has been answered hundreds of times. Do the writers for the show have to follow some sort of guideline from the book writer for these last two seasons?

This show is full of that. Did the stark kids talk beforehand that they were going to have a mock trial? Or did Sansa really make Arya think for a second she was going to jail or kill her? Same with all the bannermen, cuz none of them objected despite there being no evidence. (An aside that the idea of someone in the stark family just slitting someone's throat after a farce of a trial is pretty friggen dumb.)

When exactly did cersei have time to discuss with during "hey so when they bring out this creature that we don't believe exists, you're going to make a scene and leave but actually go get the golden company while we go north, actually, I won't even agree to help at first it'll take a second conversation and then I'll agree to go north for dramatic effect. Genius!"

Outside of the first watch where things unfold I'ma narratively "shocking" fashion, the characters actions and motivations don't hold up internally.

The writing is getting so sloppy and it makes this shit really hard to enjoy imo. I mean I'll enjoy seeing an ice dragon and shit, but anything not that is a huge eye roll.

Couldn't Cersi have just token Euron, "during the meeting, find an excuse to break with me and claim you're going home."?

I honestly think you're creating a problem there where there isn't one.

Carcetti was so much better at the game than Littlefinger, he even convinced himself that he's the good guy. I know they were going for a twist, but the last couple of episodes made it so obscure. I'm not sure when and how they figured it out, whether they talked to Bran and it seems like it didn't matter to the show and they just wanted to wrap things up.
Yeah I'll admit that that plot line could have used a couple of more eps or at least scenes for it to make more sense. A smug snaky fuck light Littlefinger needed a better death. Ramsay got a better death scene than Littlefinger.

Quick question that I'm sure has been answered hundreds of times. Do the writers for the show have to follow some sort of guideline from the book writer for these last two seasons?

No. It's their own work, for better and worse.

Not true. Martin has stated he gave them an outline, how it ended, and has consulted on some details.

Ultimately it is up to the showmakers to decide, but they do have guidance.

So where does S07 rank for everyone now that it's over?

Save a couple of neat sequences this was probably the second worst season for me, so 1>3>4=2>6>7>5. Literally all that saved it was the ending of 'Spoils of War' and 'Beyond the Wall'. I consider 'Hardhome' to be better than both of them, but S07's low points weren't quite as low as S05 so it just nudges it out.
The ending of Beyond the Wall was perhaps the worst part of the season lol. But yes it's the second worst for me, ahead of S5.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So why was Tyrion so upset about Dany and Jon? With D&D usually the simplest explanation is best, so I'm assuming he just loves Dany and not that he knows more than he's ever let on.

So why was Tyrion so upset about Dany and Jon? With D&D usually the simplest explanation is best, so I'm assuming he just loves Dany and not that he knows more than he's ever let on.
The prevailing theory is that Tyrion made a deal with Cersei for her kid to be the next hair after Dany dies and now he's spooked that Dany is gonna get knocked up.

Vectorman

Banned
Thank you. Does the writer plan to finish his book series?
giphy.gif

We wouldn't be here in the first place if he had actually finished the damn books. I mean it's a nice dream that he will be done afterwards but he's not exactly young and he's writing a bunch of spinoffs, both TV and books.

They should have just let the audience in on what Sansa and Arya were really doing. It was transparent as it was and we would have at least been spared the poor attempt at pretending the Stark sisters' sibling rivalry was about to turn deadly.

Not true. Martin has stated he gave them an outline, how it ended, and has consulted on some details.

Ultimately it is up to the showmakers to decide, but they do have guidance.
Man there's receipts in both this thread an no book thread.

The ending is very much D&D with a few similarities on what George has planned.

NimbusD

Couldn't Cersi have just token Euron, "during the meeting, find an excuse to break with me and claim you're going home."?

I honestly think you're creating a problem there where there isn't one.
Why have euron at the meeting at all?

I'm not creating any problems, the scenes are just not fleshed out and don't make any internal logic haha.

Why have euron at the meeting at all?

I'm not creating any problems, the scenes are just not fleshed out and don't make any internal logic haha.
Because it gives Dany the illusion that Euron and the iron fleet aren't a threat anymore. That was actually one of the highlights of the episode imo, even if we've gotta deal with the teleporting armada for another season.

How do you know LF wasn't there? He is known for lurking in the shadows and peeping through walls.

Because they didn't show it? We can speculate all the live-long day but the show can shows us what it wants to and if they don't show it it makes no sense to assume it was there. That's how storytelling works.

The critic James Poniewozik on twitter said it best: The whole story in WF seemed to be to fool the viewer and not any characters on the show.

There was plenty of material they could have adapted from that is much better than what we got. And they are very good works of fiction. I'm not really sure why you are writing them off. They could have had all of Season 6, be material from late ADWD and early to mid Winds. Season 7 could have been second half of Winds/early ADOS, and Season 8 could have been the rest of ADOS. D&D however just want the show to be over with. And they will make terrible plots if they can get there faster. And accelerate the pacing or slow it down as much as they want.

Idk why they are in a rush, I'd be shocked if they ever have even a mediocre network show that runs three seasons level success after this.

mokeyjoe

I disagree with you about the comments about the comparisons, but do not wish to seek an argument based on much subjectiveness.

That being said, I do find your comment about 7 seasons being enough for any show and here's why. Wouldn't it depend on the length of the show episodes and how many episodes there were per season? Game of Thrones arguably is on the short-scale when it comes to episodes. It normally has only ten per season, except Seasons 7 & 8, while most dramas are actually 13 episodes per season. There is also the fact if we compare it to network television, which usually has around 20 episodes. That further complicates the argument around 7 Seasons being enough, since at that point they could have double the number of episodes Game of Thrones has. However, I do see your point, as it all depends on the story they are trying to tell and if that particular show appears to be dragging it out for too long. Which could be said with the amount time it takes Dany to get to Westeros.

Obviously everything I'm saying is subjective, and it's largely down to how long something can maintain my interest. But I think there's an argument to be made that every medium has a sweet spot for length. Films for instance, often start to feel 'baggy' as they crawl towards 3 hours. That's not a hard rule, but I think beyond that pacing becomes a concern, and a movie has to work harder to justify the viewer's time.

I actually think much 20 season network TV is too long, and many shows there would be improved with much of the filler chopped out. I loved Breaking Bad for instance, one of my favourite shows ever, but there were certainly points where I thought it could have been trimmed down and got to the point much quicker.

I think in some ways trying to fit book storylines in (which often currently have no canon conclusion) has given GoT a bit of a 'front-heavy' pacing problem, which now contrasts with the 'thinning out' of this run to the end in a slightly unbalanced way. TV usually works best when it's studying characters in-depth, and the breadth of the GoT universe makes it hard to really treat everything and everyone satisfactorily. Despite this awkwardness, it's remained entertaining and intriguing television,for me at least, and given my previously stated lack of patience, I'm just giving credit where I think it's due. Many more years of GoT, and it's hard to see how it wouldn't just become stale. It's time to draw a line as best they can.

hoos30

They marched. The consequence is that they were taken off the board for half the season as they traveled. It's exactly the thing people complained doesn't happen anymore.

Ugh. People complaining about the Unsullied army NOT teleporting. Sheesh.

Because they didn't show it? We can speculate all the live-long day but the show can shows us what it wants to and if they don't show it it makes no sense to assume it was there. That's how storytelling works.

The critic James Poniewozik on twitter said it best: The whole story in WF seemed to be to fool the viewer and not any characters on the show.
Yeah and like a later reply said, planning LF's downfall could have been a better way to handle the plotline, but no. Pointless transparent misdirection for no reason.

Regarding Winterfell sisters storyline: was it shit if it was only pretending to be shit?

I actually think it ended up better than the main plot of the series. Seeing it as some Xanatos gambit from Arya to out Little Finger leading to his public execution at least had a pay-off.

The whole North/South plot revolved around people being idiots and risking everything to appease Cersi when she'd obviously betray them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I liked the Winterfell stuff because of the payoff.

Yes, they went overboard with the misdirection to the audience, but I had no problem with the way Arya behaved. The only thing they really left out for the sake of audience misdirection was Sansa immediately knowing Littlefinger was the one who found the letter.

hoos30

Well, LF got fooled. Fooling the audience was entirely intentional. Sansa's "power" is political manipulation, which she learned from Cersei and LF himself. Not easy to show on screen.

D&D chose to allow the audience to experience this from LF's POV. His scheming and spying has been well established through seven seasons.

Top Bottom