• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Up: 94 year old former SS-Guard convicted for Auschwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
What if he survives those 3 years and comes out a more hardened, violent danger to society?

tumblr_m5zgrerNR31qbcbo4o1_500.png

gai_shain

People in this thread are thinking in such short timescales. One human lifespan is not much time. Saying that the crimes of the Holocaust are not worth prosecuting anymore because they happened about one human lifespan ago essentially means that no matter what the atrocity, as soon as it exits living memory, it's not worth remembering anymore. How can you say it's okay to forget the Holocaust? Not only for the sake of the victims of it, but for the present and future as well, if we forget it we're bound to repeat it or something similar.

A man who allegedly perpetrated the Holocaust is alive and has never officially paid his debt to society for his crimes, should he owe one. This trial is necessary.

nobody here is saying that

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I have no problem with this trial even now, I think its important that we not forget this stuff. If anything I think the problem is the opposite: I think we rely a bit too much on the fact that we still care about what the Nazi's did as a way to kind of internally deflect other atrocities. I want other genocidal or horrific historical crimes given the same long term attention that the holocaust was

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Good, lock him up. I don't care if he's 94 or 32, he was part of one of the greatest atrocities in our history, he deserves to die miserable and alone.

beast786

At that age being in the army. Did he really had a choice?

You are brain washed and he was young as hell. it seem he had no free will.

Josh7289

nobody here is saying that

I realize I'm creating a straw man there, but my point is that saying we shouldn't bring a man allegedly responsible for perpetrating the Holocaust to trial is absurd.

We'll find out if he's guilty or not soon. But this trial is necessary to determine that.

People in this thread are thinking in such short timescales. One human lifespan is not much time. Saying that the crimes of the Holocaust are not worth prosecuting anymore because they happened about one human lifespan ago essentially means that no matter what the atrocity, as soon as it exits living memory, it's not worth remembering anymore. How can you say it's okay to forget the Holocaust? Not only for the sake of the victims of it, but for the present and future as well, if we forget it we're bound to repeat it or something similar.

A man who allegedly perpetrated the Holocaust is alive and has never officially paid his debt to society for his crimes, should he owe one. This trial is necessary.

No one has said such a thing in this thread. Any group or body committing ethnic atrocities should pay dearly for their role, big or small.

But, if he was found innocent for wartime atrocities in a previous trial, why the continuance to prosecute and pursue the man, especially when he has made attempts to atone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Was he living peacefully all this time? Put that asshole in the prison right now. No mercy for holocaust suspects.

No one has said such a thing in this thread. Any group or body committing ethnic atrocities should pay dearly for their role, big or small.

But, if he was found innocent for wartime atrocities in a previous trial, why the continuance to prosecute and pursue the man, especially when he has made attempts to atone.

He wasn't found innocent in a previous trial. This will be the first time he's stood trial.

Moff

At that age being in the army. Did he really had a choice?

You are brain washed and he was young as hell. it seem he had no free will.

he was in the SS, not the army, he also had free will, he asked to be replaced, but he was denied.

benjipwns

Banned
Was he living peacefully all this time? Put that asshole in the prison right now. No mercy for holocaust suspects.
So much for innocent until proven guilty I guess. The state can just go around accusing people of being part of the Holocaust.

So like I said, you think that everyone who was involved with the war was culpable and an accomplice, so would you prosectue every German civilian who worked to build the armies and the buildings for the war? Would you prosecute our political leaders and banks who actively gave money to Hitler to help fund his war efforts?

Luckily the law doesnt (shouldnt) work that way. We have to find out if he was in fact the reason why people were killed. And unless he took part in those decisions or actively took a rile in the killings then he's innocent. Let's just say he was able to transfer out of Auschwitz. Are there human lives that would have been spared had he not stayed there?

Our law does work like that though. It's how we toppled organized crime in America. The guys only giving orders aren't safe and the guys following them aren't either.

Your thinking is why denazification efforts ultimately failed. The Nuremberg Trials got the top Nazis and the rest breathed a sigh of relief. It's a postwar myth that the German populace were brainwashed and hoodwinked by Hitler and he did all this stuff behind their backs. He did it with their, many times enthusiastic, support. I've read of crowds gathering and cheering as people, their former neighbors, were taken away to concentration camps. I don't expect everyone to go to prison but I still condemn their actions. We also cannot forget Aryanization efforts which gave the homes, shops, and valuables of the victims to their neighbors and the slave labor which powered the German war machine.

gai_shain

He wasn't found innocent in a previous trial. This will be the first time he's stood trial.

I thought it didnt go to trial because there wasnt enough evidence back in the 80s, but in 2011 someone was convicted for working there and this is why this is getting rolled back up?

Aurongel

Letting someone as old as that go without a trial because of monetary concerns sets a shitty precedent for how we treat criminals like this. History and German descendants haven't forgotten about the holocaust so why should justice now forget about him?

Ah. In that case, what does their opinion matter vs. yours?

"Matter" in the sense that sentencing or money should be spent? That's up to the court. Against my opinion, I respect theirs on the subject more than even my own. They were touched, directly impacted by the atrocity that occurred.

"I was there, my family was murdered, and I really don't think it's a waste of money" vs. "It's a waste of money" coming from someone that wasn't affected. I think the former is going to carry more weight in conversation, don't you?

Boney

Banned
Real evil is mundane.

It's ignorance.

The ignorance Oskar expressed in simply doing his job to one of the 20th centuries greatest atrocities.

And now we perpetuate the cycle of ignorance by directing our ire at a human symbol of those atrocities, so far removed from time that the symbol is a man nearly a hundred years old that has been through a life time of thinking and reflection on the evils he participated in.

How about we do some real justice and simply reflect on how and why we cause harm and continue to do so, and figure how and what we can do to lessen the degree of harm we cause.

By you know... not jailing an old man that was simply part of a system of ignorance in his youth a long time ago - and rather understand how we are all parts of systems of ignorance that perpetuates further harm.
Yep, everyone should be reading Arendt instead of calling the head of a 94 year old man.

Here you go boys http://www.amazon.com/dp/0143039881/?tag=neogaf0e-20

benjipwns

Banned
Letting someone as old as that go without a trial because of monetary concerns sets a shitty precedent for how we treat criminals like this. History and German descendants haven't forgotten about the holocaust so why should justice now forget about him?
Unless I'm reading it wrong the complaint isn't about him not getting a trial, it's about him only facing three years in prison. At age 94.

They want a longer sentence.

I thought it didnt go to trial because there wasnt enough evidence back in the 80s, but in 2011 someone was convicted for working there and this is why this is getting rolled back up?

Yeah, no evidence used to mean something.

If they find no evidence in this trial then he should be found innocent. I don't think an SS guard at Auschwitz should live life without facing a trial for his actions.

Jarate

Banned
Our law does work like that though. It's how we toppled organized crime in America. The guys only giving orders aren't safe and the guys following them aren't either.

Your thinking is why denazification efforts ultimately failed. The Nuremberg Trials got the top Nazis and the rest breathed a sigh of relief. It's a postwar myth that the German populace were brainwashed and hoodwinked by Hitler and he did all this stuff behind their backs. He did it with their, many times enthusiastic, support. I've read of crowds gathering and cheering as people, their former neighbors, were taken away to concentration camps. I don't expect everyone to go to prison but I still condemn their actions. We also cannot forget Aryanization efforts which gave the homes, shops, and valuables of the victims to their neighbors and the slave labor which powered the German war machine.

Were concentration camps well known by the German populace? Everything Ive read on the time period has stated that Concentration Camps with mass deaths wasnt known by the general populace, but then again new evidence can be brought it

And those people involved with the mafia are much different then soldiers in war.

Althane

"Matter" in the sense that sentencing or money should be spent? That's up to the court. Against my opinion, I respect theirs on the subject more than even my own. They were touched, directly impacted by the atrocity that occurred.

"I was there, my family was murdered, and I really don't think it's a waste of money" vs. "It's a waste of money" coming from someone that wasn't affected. I think the former is going to carry more weight in conversation, don't you?

In the objective sense, no, it shouldn't, assuming that the "Waste of money" is backed up with reasoned arguments.

In an overall social conversation, I get what you are saying, and agree. Thanks for talking through it.

EGM1966

if he's guilty then he's guilty. Sentence and approach is then handled on his age and circumstances (shown remorse, etc) and behaviour in the intervening years.

If he's innocent then ideally this is shown and he walks free.

They question of "why bother" always comes up for older crimes and elderly suspects but clearly in this case the core principles and politics take the fore demanding a trail. Even today in Europe former Nazis and War Criminals the prevailing mood politically is they face judgement for their crimes: it's about the symbolic gesture more than anything and the continued sense it brings closure to certain events and those involved. It's just the way it is.

94 really is catching him late though. I guess the odds of further similar cases must be getting very remote though: soon any remaining survivors, good or evil, will surely have died of old age.

Keeping in mind that he only managed luggage and sending money found to Berlin, he's gone out of his way to speak out against Holocaust deniers, and that widely recreated and affirmed shock test where people do horrible things when told to by a figure of authority no matter how moral they are, I would say even 3 years is too much. I would say give him a crime that makes him realize that Jewish people are just like him (like working in a Jewish community center) but his actions show that he realizes what he did was wrong.

According to the articles posted and in previous articles, this trial came to be because of a ruling in a 2011 case:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Nazi-medical-experiments-demands-answers.html

It is the first of its kind to take place since a key ruling in 2011, when former SS guard John Demjanjuk was found guilty of being an accessory to the murder of 27,900 Jews at the Sobibor extermination camp.

The ruling overturned years of German legal precedent that only the senior Nazi leadership could be held responsible for the Holocaust.

Of the 6,500 former SS members who served at Auschwitz and survived the war, only 49 have ever been convicted in German courts.

Someone in the thread stated that he has held trial before and was not convicted.

Jarmel

Banned
My take-away from some arguments in this thread:

Baggage cleark in Berlin: No problem! Have a nice retirement, dude!
Exact same duties in Auschwitz: OMG MASS MURDERER GIVE HIM THE CHAIR

The dude reportedly tried to get a transfer and was denied. The only other way out would have been either suicide ("good riddance, Nazi scum!" I hear some of you saying ITT), or abandoning his post which would almost certainly have resulted in his death in one way or another.

And if he had abandoned his post, some other dude would've filled it and we'd be arguing about him instead.

There's no justice being served in prosecuting a Nazi baggage clerk who had zero influence into the operational decisions at Aushwitz, especially since the things he actually did wouldn't even be considered as candidates of war crimes if they'd happened literally anywhere else on the planet than Auschwitz.

I kinda agree with this. If he filed a request to leave and didn't actively participate in the torture or murder then I can't really blame him too much. Give him a symbolic 3 years at this point and stop wasting taxpayer money on this.

Were concentration camps well known by the German populace? Everything Ive read on the time period has stated that Concentration Camps with mass deaths wasnt known by the general populace, but then again new evidence can be brought it

And those people involved with the mafia are much different then soldiers in war.

I believe a professor named Robert Gellately wrote a book on it but I haven't read much on it or delved into criticisms of the book. It was published by Oxford 's Press so at least it's not some nutjob self-publishing (not that that is a guarantee of credibility). Nazi rhetoric in speeches and on the radio is basically "We are going to kill all of the Jews". It's not hidden. I know soldiers knew of it because I've read the orders given to Wehrmacht units regarding treatment of Jews, Bolsheviks, partisans etc and they were advised on the Einsatzgruppen operating in their areas. The terms were used euphemistically to refer to killing civilians as part of the murder campaigns. I've also read a few diaries, memoirs and documentary footage of testimonies where they talk about their reasons for joining the campaigns. The more I read, the more difficult it became to say that the general populace had no idea.

Fixed feelings here. On one hand, I'm not sure his age or the distance from the event should exempt him from responsibility for his actions.

On the other hand this man has had a literal lifetime of reflection on what he has done, and could be much better used to educate people about the dangers of just going along as a cog in a political machine like he did, assuming he regrets his actions.

The guy is probably a completely different person now than he was in the 1940s. I just have a hard time finding value in punishing individuals on this man's level (ie, not on the level of a political leader, a commander, etc) so long after the actual event over the value that using his experiences to educate others could have for people today.

Jarate

Banned
I believe a professor named Robert Gellately wrote a book on it but I haven't read much on it or delved into criticisms of the book. It was published by Oxford 's Press so at least it's not some nutjob self-publishing (not that that is a guarantee of credibility). Nazi rhetoric in speeches and on the radio is basically "We are going to kill all of the Jews". It's not hidden. I know soldiers knew of it because I've read the orders given to Wehrmacht units regarding treatment of Jews, Bolsheviks, partisans etc and they were advised on the Einsatzgruppen operating in their areas. The terms were used euphemistically to refer to killing civilians as part of the murder campaigns. I've also read a few diaries, memoirs and documentary footage of testimonies where they talk about their reasons for joining the campaigns. The more I read, the more difficult it became to say that the general populace had no idea.

I'll give a looksie into that book too see what's up, but with my limited knowledge on the subject (im not big into WW2 history, but it's impossible to escape it) my knowledge was is that people generally didnt know that the death camps were a thing. But I could easily be wrong

how is operating the due legal process vengeance? that's justice, not vengeance.

there is still no evidence, what has changed though is the trial of John Demjanjuk in 2011, who was in a similiar position as Gröning. there was also no evidence against him, but the judge still put him in jail simply because he worked in a concentration camp. it was a first because there was no evidence at all that he participated in any crime. and now they roll up the case against Gröning, doing the same. and I simply don't approve. because like you, I think no one should be jailed witthout evidence.

The man clearly regrets what he helped accomplish back when he served for the Nazi regime, and now they want to put him on trial once again in hopes that a new Judge will find him guilty without evidence.

This is an act of vengeance in the purest mean of the word.

Punishing people feels great, but a sentence that requires him to speak to the public about various issues would be more helpful.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Good that he's facing justice, but I think in the case of the very old and frail, with so much time between the crime and the present day, the prosecution should really take a look at how much of a danger he still poses (likely none) and whether he expresses genuine regret before they reach their decision. Not that I think any of that should preclude jail time, mind...just that such a sentence wouldn't really serve anyone, outside of satisfying the public's need for vengeance. Which isn't an entirely unworthy goal...

Ultimately I suspect given his age and medical condition he would not face any sentence; he'd likely be sentenced to whatever token number of years and then have the sentence suspended. That's fine. Trials are still important because they preserve evidence in the public record and they have an important symbolic role.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
German Propaganda made sure a lot of the atrocities the Germans committed were never seen the light of day by people living there. A lot of Germans saw the "Jews" as scapegoats for a post WW1 world where German reperations made Germany a living hell to live in. If it wasnt for the US funding the Germans with loans, Germany most likely would have literally starved to death. Hitler gained a lot of fame due to pointing out these racial scapegoats, and used that too push his German ideal, the "aryan race" if you will

So let's just say you're a young kid, and you've bought into Nazi propaganda against the Jews, and are in fact a antisemite, a racist, and have a "pure" aryan bloodline, and decide to join the SS because you want to help restore german glory. Remember, pre-WW1 Germany was probably the most powerful land army in the world at the time, and was a beacon of culture and arts. so you join the SS during the latter part of the war, and end up in Auschwitz, where you see mass genocide happening. You ask to transfer but are denied, and thus you are stuck at this horrible place. What do you do in this situation?

He is a Nazi, he was an antisemite, he was a racist, he might very well still be those things, but being those things arent against the law. It's trying to figure out how culpable he was for the mass genocide at Auschwitz.

Let's say we removed him from Auschwitz, would suddenly the entire operation get hurt or slowed down due to him leaving? The answer to that should be quite simple. Unless we can find him culpable in decision making at Auschwitz (which considering he was the lowest rank an SS officer can have I doubt that would be the case), or if he can actively was committing the killings in Auschwitz.

He's a terrible person for ever being a part of that army, but we as a western society dont judge horrible people for being horrible people, we judge them for the acts theyve committed. And given the evidence we do have, his acts are basically negligible at auschwitz and he was not related in any way to the killings of people.

Would your mind suddenly change if he did the same exact thing but at a train stop away from Auschwitz? or if it was before the entered the trains?

The only theoretical crime we have evidence to push against him is the fact that he "stole" money from the prisoners. But if we judge him for this, we'd have to throw a metric shit ton of people who worked at POW camps or handled enemy civilians/soldiers who would do the same thing.

Once again, German propaganda made sure things like the death camps at Auschwitz weren't known about by the general populace. Yes, it is very likely he was a massive anti-semite and a massive racist at the time. But those aren't crimes.

You continue to offer up some very weird "suppositions." He was a Nazi. He was an SS and he did steal money from prisoners. I'm not quite sure why you seem to think these things are in question. They are not.

You also say the acts of an SS trooper who joined their ranks as an actual adult and served as such long before conscription began "are basically negligible ." He worked at the camp for two years. When he did raise objections at the camp, it was due to the inefficiency and cost of how they were committing the genocides, not the murders themselves. Accountants can still do horrific things and this is one of them.

Oskar Groening said:
Because of this, he says his feelings about seeing people and knowing that they had hours to live before being gassed were "very ambiguous".He explains that children were murdered because, while the children themselves were not the enemy, the danger was the blood within them, in that they could grow up to become dangerous Jews.

"Basically negligible."

All we have is his word that he wanted out. What we do know is that he didn't leave the camp until 1944, where nearly every warm body was thrown onto the front line. Was it because he had a change of heart? If so, does that matter? Feeling guilty isn't a get out of trial free card. But there is also a very, very good chance that's not the case and he was ordered to leave to fill in the gaps at the front lines.

If only there was some sort of official proceedings that could take place to determine one's guilt or innocence.

Chariot

Was there enough evidence to hold a trial before?
No, which is why they didn't go through with it. As someone stated, this recent trial is because someone else was convicted a few years ago by just working in another Vernichtungslager. Some people are out for the remaining small cogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom