• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

It's all ogre

[PS4] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Bandai Namco, 10/27/16) – 70,871 (New)
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Bandai Namco, 10/27/16) – 69,648 (New)
[PS4] World of Final Fantasy (Square Enix, 10/27/16) – 53,176 (New)
[PSV] World of Final Fantasy (Square Enix, 10/27/16) – 47,159 (New)

It's all ogre

[PS4] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Bandai Namco, 10/27/16) – 70,871 (New)
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Bandai Namco, 10/27/16) – 69,648 (New)
The Vita SAO doesn't even deserve those numbers.

RK128

It's all ogre

Why did the Vita version sell so much when it was a horrid port :l? Meh, guess Japan loves portable gaming, even if the experience is butchered by poor frame rates, horrible controls and stuttering. Many were likely not aware of the issues as well, so I wonder how well the next SAO game is going to sell considering this games bad Vita release......

It's all ogre

Yeah. I've been kinda putting my fingers in my ears about the Vita situation in Japan but it seems that for a while now, Sony's 'move-the-userbase-over-to-PS4' strategy has finally started working.

While Vita can maybe sustain itself as part of a multi-plat strategy for a while, I think it'll be less time than I suspected for Switch to replace Vita in considerations.

RK128

Yeah. I've been kinda putting my fingers in my ears about the Vita situation in Japan but it seems that for a while now, Sony's 'move-the-userbase-over-to-PS4' strategy has finally started working.

While Vita can maybe sustain itself as part of a multi-plat strategy for a while, I think it'll be less time than I suspected for Switch to replace Vita in considerations.

I honestly feel that 2017 is the last year we will get major Vita support from third parties and 2018 being the systems final year regarding a few releases (with even less time for Japan).

The system had a great run and 2017 looks great for the platform. But I am not expecting anything major for the console for 2018 at this point. If you guys noticed during the Nintendo Switch announcement, Nintendo released an image showing off partners working on the system. Some names were major Vita supporters: Bandai-Namco, NIS America, Marvelous (XSEED), Tecmo-Koei.

With Bandai Namco continuing to offer head-line stories for the Vita every few weeks about how badly they are doing things (Digimon and SAO Vita) and next year having a lot of announce localization's already......not going to be surprised to see more people shift to Nintendo if the Switch is successful.

I say this as someone who loves the Vita and I don't feel bad. The system has a lot of life left in it and many games are still on the horizon for the console. Just trying to be realistic so I don't get upset with the plug so-to-speak is pulled 2018.

RK128

No more true handheld from Nintendo means Sony can sweep right in with "Mark III" in 2018 right?

Hmmm......I have very strong doubts Sony even gives a damn about the handheld market anymore, but if Nintendo is getting success with the Switch, I wouldn't be shocked if a Vita 3000 is announced Fall 2017 or something.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Why did the Vita version sell so much when it was a horrid port :l? Meh, guess Japan loves portable gaming, even if the experience is butchered by poor frame rates, horrible controls and stuttering. Many were likely not aware of the issues as well, so I wonder how well the next SAO game is going to sell considering this games bad Vita release......

The obvious reason is due to Hollow Fragment having been a Vita title and most of the fans are from that group who were waiting for this to come out so it was pre-ordered ahead of time / folks bought it when it came out. Not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Then there is the other half of the group which are fans that buy both PS4 and PSV versions due to cross-save functionality is another part of the reason why sales are up there. In general Bandai Namco seems to offer this as much as possible since they know that there is a good portion of users who buy both versions of a game due to this. This seems to be a constant thing with BanNam releases and usually there is a fair crowd of people who constantly ask if cross save is supported or not if BanNam forgets to include it somewhere.

Just because someone on twitter or youtube freaks out is no reason to go all chicken little. Good lord.

RK128

The obvious reason is due to Hollow Fragment having been a Vita title and most of the fans are from that group who were waiting for this to come out so it was pre-ordered ahead of time / folks bought it when it came out. Not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Then there is the other half of the group which are fans that buy both PS4 and PSV versions due to cross-save functionality is another part of the reason why sales are up there. In general Bandai Namco seems to offer this as much as possible since they know that there is a good portion of users who buy both versions of a game due to this. This seems to be a constant thing with BanNam releases and usually there is a fair crowd of people who constantly ask if cross save is supported or not if BanNam forgets to include it somewhere.

Just because someone on twitter or youtube freaks out is no reason to go all chicken little. Good lord.

Sorry for getting upset over this on my end than Parakeetman. Just after the whole mess with Digimon, I was really annoyed with Hollow Realization running badly on Vita (as that would be the only way I play HR, considering I played HF & LS on my Vita for many hours at a time).

Also want to publicly apologize about the OT I made a few weeks back. I should have contacted you before making that OT. Sorry for using your work and not asking you before hand.

Will likely calm down regarding my reaction to things going forward, so I shouldn't be an issue for this forum and social media. Sorry everyone.

Parakeetman

Hmmm......I have very strong doubts Sony even gives a damn about the handheld market anymore, but if Nintendo is getting success with the Switch, I wouldn't be shocked if a Vita 3000 is announced Fall 2017 or something.

And you are basing this off of what? As am genuinely curious as to why you think they would announce a Vita 3000 in Fall 2017.

Companies just dont go pulling products out of thin air. And seeing the kind of situation the Vita is in with the West there is literally no reason for them to do anything more with the brand at this point and just let it run its course by having the third party pubs keep bringing over titles, but in terms of doing anything new with the system its a waste of time and money as the brand name has gone to shit. Its the same reason why Nintendo went with a totally new name for the Switch. Part of that is due to not wanting to have anything to do with the Wii name and starting a clean slate. If in the rare event Sony ever plans on doing anything they are going to ditch the Vita name for sure. But at this point in time with how much the mobile market has taken over handheld gaming, there is little to no reason for them to waste resources with R&D + marketing of a new handheld system. There just is not a demand for it as the void has been filled by smartphones. In Japan there would be little to no reason to go and release a new hardware revision as all the users who wanted one pretty much have one at this point. And with most of the larger Vita games being cross platform stuff, there is little reason to push the system towards users. It exists here and is doing well enough on its own but at the same time, nothing right now would call for any sort of hardware revision. Also Sony currently has to worry about the PSVR and PS4 Pro, so they are not going to be adding another dish to spin with a new handheld unit in a market that deems one unnecessary. This is not even an issue that is just facing Sony and the Vita its been an issue for Nintendo also. Which is why the Switch went the design it is, allowing for them to get the most out of both the consumer and handheld market without extra risk put in by having 2 separate units. Even the New 3DS was pretty much a bust as it got pretty much little support from other pubs with how few titles are actually supported as just New 3DS titles and for the most part everything else is just made for the previous 3DS.

In all honestly the faster pubs in Japan get away from doing cross platform titles with the PS4 & Vita the better. As they are just holding themselves back with learning to push the hardware to its limits for development due to having to create something that fits with the Vita specs. Now titles that are Vita only are perfectly fine as they were made just for that platform, but when you have other titles that are held back from their full potential to be sure to have something working on a Vita is only going to hinder the company in the long run with getting its team up to speed with the system as Japan is behind as is with PS4 development due to having jumped on the bandwagon late as many companies decided to sit on the fence and watch what happened with the system first. Outside of a few companies such as Koei, Sega, Bandai Namco joined in a little later but was dedicated to multiplat development. The 2 largest pubs that support cross platform frequently would be generally Koei and BanNam.

Unlike the smaller pubs that produce Vita exclusive titles, the larger pubs just seem to be using the Vita as a platform to scrape in extra cash from the existing userbase who have not moved over to the PS4 yet. Which obviously is working with all of the data from Media Create when it comes to multiplat titles. Does not help too that the market here has been changing over the years and gaming is not as big of a thing as it used to be. Which is why all across the board sales are low for the most part. Outside of people not having as much expendable funds, the fact that people can get their entertainment for free on their phones is another reason that adds in. Basically the numbers we are getting right now is a representation of whats left of the core market, outside of titles that manage to make a hit with the more casual userbase also.

At least the platform still is getting decent software support in Japan which means for the West that titles wont dry up for a while as long as the pubs in charge of localization do not lose interest in doing these titles or sales become too low to support projects. Since pretty much at this point only thing holding the Vita together in the West is the support from the third party pubs in charge of localizing titles from Japan and the strong existing fanbase that seems to pick up pretty much anything Vita related just because. Its thanks to the strong fanbase that also the third party pubs keep localizing titles. Though we see companies like NISA for example who is already starting to build their foundation for moving away from the Vita with all the titles they seem to be releasing on Steam and such. IFI also, which is interesting. But at least good to see that they are looking at being progressive with things and help bring titles that would not have normally came out on Steam if not for their localization process. Though it shows that those companies want to get another source of income set up for when the Vita market eventually dries up or is deemed non-profitable by the powers in charge. Though its not like Steam would be any better if those Steam Spy numbers are to be believed depending on the title / publisher. Steam is by far a silver bullet either as the market is just far too saturated as is making it hard to get exposure for your title once it gets pushed off the front page, if it even makes it there in the first place.

In closing basically the platform isnt going to vanish from here in Japan anytime soon but at the same time its not going to exactly expand either. Even more so when it comes to attempting to expand anything in the West with the Vita.

The system had a great run and 2017 looks great for the platform. But I am not expecting anything major for the console for 2018 at this point. If you guys noticed during the Nintendo Switch announcement, Nintendo released an image showing off partners working on the system. Some names were major Vita supporters: Bandai-Namco, NIS America, Marvelous (XSEED), Tecmo-Koei.

You aren't the only person I've seen say this and I just don't get it.

Switch is the successor to Nintendo's handheld AND portable depending on how you look at it. Bamco and Koei-Tecmo both supported Wii-U and 3DS extremely well. So it's not surprising to see them supporting Switch.

Marvelous have released a tonne of stuff for 3DS so again, no surprise seeing them also supporting Switch.

NIS is the only one on there that's arguably big news... but again, NIS released a 3DS game in the beginning. Then nothing else.

Vita doesn't exist in this vaccum where it's support the handheld and don't support anything else. Bamco/Koei/Marvelous are big enough to support multiple platforms at once. Bamco have already confirmed SAO on Vita for late next year. I'm willing to bet money we'll also get some crappy anime tie-ins on Vita from them next year. Same with more musou and Atelier Mysterious #3 late next year from Koei.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with you. I just think Japan is falling of quicker than I expected. We've seen a string of things where I thought the Vita version would comfortably outsell the PS4 version and that hasn't happened. Combine that with < 10k weekly sales and it's not in a fantastic place.

Still, 2017 is packed with stuff I'm looking forward to, so I'm not too fussed. It has to end some time!

RK128

And you are basing this off of what? As am genuinely curious as to why you think they would announce a Vita 3000 in Fall 2017.

Companies just dont go pulling products out of thin air. And seeing the kind of situation the Vita is in with the West there is literally no reason for them to do anything more with the brand at this point and just let it run its course by having the third party pubs keep bringing over titles, but in terms of doing anything new with the system its a waste of time and money as the brand name has gone to shit. Its the same reason why Nintendo went with a totally new name for the Switch. Part of that is due to not wanting to have anything to do with the Wii name and starting a clean slate. If in the rare event Sony ever plans on doing anything they are going to ditch the Vita name for sure. But at this point in time with how much the mobile market has taken over handheld gaming, there is little to no reason for them to waste resources with R&D + marketing of a new handheld system. There just is not a demand for it as the void has been filled by smartphones. In Japan there would be little to no reason to go and release a new hardware revision as all the users who wanted one pretty much have one at this point. And with most of the larger Vita games being cross platform stuff, there is little reason to push the system towards users. It exists here and is doing well enough on its own but at the same time, nothing right now would call for any sort of hardware revision. Also Sony currently has to worry about the PSVR and PS4 Pro, so they are not going to be adding another dish to spin with a new handheld unit in a market that deems one unnecessary. This is not even an issue that is just facing Sony and the Vita its been an issue for Nintendo also. Which is why the Switch went the design it is, allowing for them to get the most out of both the consumer and handheld market without extra risk put in by having 2 separate units. Even the New 3DS was pretty much a bust as it got pretty much little support from other pubs with how few titles are actually supported as just New 3DS titles and for the most part everything else is just made for the previous 3DS.

In all honestly the faster pubs in Japan get away from doing cross platform titles with the PS4 & Vita the better. As they are just holding themselves back with learning to push the hardware to its limits for development due to having to create something that fits with the Vita specs. Now titles that are Vita only are perfectly fine as they were made just for that platform, but when you have other titles that are held back from their full potential to be sure to have something working on a Vita is only going to hinder the company in the long run with getting its team up to speed with the system as Japan is behind as is with PS4 development due to having jumped on the bandwagon late as many companies decided to sit on the fence and watch what happened with the system first. Outside of a few companies such as Koei, Sega, Bandai Namco joined in a little later but was dedicated to multiplat development. The 2 largest pubs that support cross platform frequently would be generally Koei and BanNam.

Unlike the smaller pubs that produce Vita exclusive titles, the larger pubs just seem to be using the Vita as a platform to scrape in extra cash from the existing userbase who have not moved over to the PS4 yet. Which obviously is working with all of the data from Media Create when it comes to multiplat titles. Does not help too that the market here has been changing over the years and gaming is not as big of a thing as it used to be. Which is why all across the board sales are low for the most part. Outside of people not having as much expendable funds, the fact that people can get their entertainment for free on their phones is another reason that adds in. Basically the numbers we are getting right now is a representation of whats left of the core market, outside of titles that manage to make a hit with the more casual userbase also.

At least the platform still is getting decent software support in Japan which means for the West that titles wont dry up for a while as long as the pubs in charge of localization do not lose interest in doing these titles or sales become too low to support projects. Since pretty much at this point only thing holding the Vita together in the West is the support from the third party pubs in charge of localizing titles from Japan and the strong existing fanbase that seems to pick up pretty much anything Vita related just because. Its thanks to the strong fanbase that also the third party pubs keep localizing titles. Though we see companies like NISA for example who is already starting to build their foundation for moving away from the Vita with all the titles they seem to be releasing on Steam and such. IFI also, which is interesting. But at least good to see that they are looking at being progressive with things and help bring titles that would not have normally came out on Steam if not for their localization process. Though it shows that those companies want to get another source of income set up for when the Vita market eventually dries up or is deemed non-profitable by the powers in charge. Though its not like Steam would be any better if those Steam Spy numbers are to be believed depending on the title / publisher. Steam is by far a silver bullet either as the market is just far too saturated as is making it hard to get exposure for your title once it gets pushed off the front page, if it even makes it there in the first place.

In closing basically the platform isnt going to vanish from here in Japan anytime soon but at the same time its not going to exactly expand either. Even more so when it comes to attempting to expand anything in the West with the Vita.

You did a great job putting your thoughts together and I want to say I am in agreement with you. Really like the point you make about publishers making money off people who both moved on to PS4 and stuck around with Vita; it is something mutiplatform titles have been doing for a while now and I think we will continue to see that.

My reasoning is that Sony left first party development on the console for other ventures (you mentioned the PS4 Pro & PS VR for example, which is where many first party studios are working on instead of Vita). So, I don't know how they can make another portable with their feet being dipped in other waters right now. But Sony wants to make another portable, they will likely re-brand it as something different. Maybe they might make a streaming portable that can play PS4 titles but can play retail & digital games from the Vita library. I don't think they would invest a lot of money into full development on a brand new console, so I could picture Sony re-using Vita hardware/OS to make a 'new' portable with similar functions & features (but at a lower cost and fixing issues with the 1000 and 2000 Vita models).

The Vita will have a happy spot in Japan and will continue to get localization's in the west. I just will not be so bleak about 2018 for the console, as that is not here yet so no real point in thinking about that far in the future.

Parakeetman

You did a great job putting your thoughts together and I want to say I am in agreement with you. Really like the point you make about publishers making money off people who both moved on to PS4 and stuck around with Vita; it is something mutiplatform titles have been doing for a while now and I think we will continue to see that.

My reasoning is that Sony left first party development on the console for other ventures (you mentioned the PS4 Pro & PS VR for example, which is where many first party studios are working on instead of Vita). So, I don't know how they can make another portable with their feet being dipped in other waters right now. But Sony wants to make another portable, they will likely re-brand it as something different. Maybe they might make a streaming portable that can play PS4 titles but can play retail & digital games from the Vita library.

The Vita will have a happy spot in Japan and will continue to get localization's in the west. I just will not be so bleak about 2018 for the console, as that is not here yet so no real point in thinking about that far in the future.

One other large positive with the Vita is that it seems to have created some new publishers so to speak. Well not really, but pubs that were willing to try out new things such as bringing the visual novel genre more to the West has been a large positive I think. So while the situation of the Vita itself it is in currently is not great, overall not everything is doom and gloom as there have been positive aspects birthed from it also.

Thought that it was interesting how the platform helped further Visual Novels more also in general. As would imagine that if it was just on consoles alone, it would not have happened the same way. Its the portability factor and suspend mode which is a large help when it comes to playing a visual novel and why a lot of the companies were on the PSP and Vita. Granted they still release also on consoles a lot of the fanbase exists on the handhelds in Japan. Was interesting watching the migration from the end life of the PSP to the Vita.

That and in the West seems like indie devs, while not all are able to make their projects work out with getting a Vita version out it still is good to see that others have been successful with releasing titles on the platform which gives it a bit of an interesting flavor past standard titles.

You aren't the only person I've seen say this and I just don't get it.

Switch is the successor to Nintendo's handheld AND portable depending on how you look at it. Bamco and Koei-Tecmo both supported Wii-U and 3DS extremely well. So it's not surprising to see them supporting Switch.

Marvelous have released a tonne of stuff for 3DS so again, no surprise seeing them also supporting Switch.

NIS is the only one on there that's arguably big news... but again, NIS released a 3DS game in the beginning. Then nothing else.

Vita doesn't exist in this vaccum where it's support the handheld and don't support anything else. Bamco/Koei/Marvelous are big enough to support multiple platforms at once. Bamco have already confirmed SAO on Vita for late next year. I'm willing to bet money we'll also get some crappy anime tie-ins on Vita from them next year. Same with more musou and Atelier Mysterious #3 late next year from Koei.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with you. I just think Japan is falling of quicker than I expected. We've seen a string of things where I thought the Vita version would comfortably outsell the PS4 version and that hasn't happened. Combine that with < 10k weekly sales and it's not in a fantastic place.

Still, 2017 is packed with stuff I'm looking forward to, so I'm not too fussed. It has to end some time!

Pretty much Id have to say that this is like with any release of a new system where a lot of folks want to get in when its still hot. Now the question if they will remain with the system throughout its life cycle is another matter.

Most of those companies, the Japanese ones anyways have already worked with Nintendo (console or handheld) so its not really anything new in particular.

In regards to NIS they did more titles for the DS rather than the 3DS.

RK128

One other large positive with the Vita is that it seems to have created some new publishers so to speak. Well not really, but pubs that were willing to try out new things such as bringing the visual novel genre more to the West has been a large positive I think. So while the situation of the Vita itself it is in currently is not great, overall not everything is doom and gloom as there have been positive aspects birthed from it also.

Thought that it was interesting how the platform helped further Visual Novels more also in general. As would imagine that if it was just on consoles alone, it would not have happened the same way. Its the portability factor and suspend mode which is a large help when it comes to playing a visual novel and why a lot of the companies were on the PSP and Vita. Granted they still release also on consoles a lot of the fanbase exists on the handhelds in Japan. Was interesting watching the migration from the end life of the PSP to the Vita.

That and in the West seems like indie devs, while not all are able to make their projects work out with getting a Vita version out it still is good to see that others have been successful with releasing titles on the platform which gives it a bit of an interesting flavor past standard titles.

I think it is interesting seeing publishers like P-Qube and Aksys Games becoming major publishers for the Vita platform over the past few months. I honestly feel it is fantastic to see visual novels get such a big push on Vita as they are a genre that fits the Vita naturally due to the system's portable nature.

Indie studios are still putting out Vita games too, so I feel we will see a lot more of them release Vita versions of their titles as well.

autoduelist

I wouldn't be shocked either, honestly. A key word that we need to remember is 'ecosystem'. There is a lot of value in having a consumer completely within an ecosystem.

For example, i own a vita, ps4/3/2, steam, gog, and android devices. I am far more likely to buy something for vita/ps4 due to trophies because I'm not engaged in the ecosystem for android or steam. I don't even research, read about, or even know about many games for xbox or nintendo. I barely even know what Splatoon is, for example.

Now, if Sony does not give me a handheld alternative, I'll eventually be moving over to Android/IOS/Nintendo. For me, that's likely Android, but for plenty of people in my shoes, it can be any of the three. And as soon as the ecosystem begins to crack, it creates related issues. I may not care about trophies as much if all my handheld gaming gets [insert other ecosystem rewards]. I will start reading about/researching other ecosystem games, and my other dollars may move outside the ecosystem.

Now, how this all adds up is outside my pay range. We don't have the stats or the research to know exactly how important this is... but it's certainly an issue at some level, minor or major. My guess, based on my own personal habits, is it's pretty significant. If a game on Android catches my attention, I ignore my vita for a few weeks... [which is rare]. I'm a huge buyer of vita games [iirc i'm at 350 or so].

So, the question is, does Sony want to risk losing me and people like me? If they do the math and it's okay, then sure, definitely -do not- stay in the handheld market. But if they want to be sure to keep me? Give me a new device with BC and, imo, the possibly huge addition of ps2 support. With luck, ps2 support will give the device a nostalgia factor and a backdoor to massive success. I'd be okay with a vita like device or a table with controls. Market the ps2 ability prominently, enjoy the psp/ps1/vita bc, and if it catches on embrace new games as well.

Do I think it's likely? Not really. But i certainly wouldn't be shocked if Sony does the math and decides to keep their ecosytem complete, especially given they've -always- been a gadget company and love their handhelds [sony walkman, anyone?]

You make some pretty good points, autoduelist. I'll never spend as much on PS4 games, money they don't get, and if I'm spending my money elsewhere, it's giving your competition a leg up + an opportunity to tell me I need to dedicate my game budget to something in Nintendo's camp instead of Sony's that month. Might not even be a first party title I'm not buying, it could just be a season pass I wait for a sale on instead.

What Ratchet & Clank games come in the HD European cart?

1-3. Just bare in mind 2 is badly glitched in places on the cart and can crash when traveling between planets (if I remember correctly). It was never patched and is ONLY a problem in the physical release, the digital release of 2 is fine, which is why I grabbed a cheap copy of 2 off the PSN store when it went on sale one time.

Shizuka

1-3. Just bare in mind 2 is badly glitched in places on the cart and can crash when traveling between planets (if I remember correctly). It was never patched and is ONLY a problem in the physical release, the digital release of 2 is fine, which is why I grabbed a cheap copy of 2 off the PSN store when it went on sale one time.

Good to know that there won't be a voucher to download one of them.

RK128

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RVry9unaAw

Havian's video about PS4 vs. Vita versions of SAO is up.

tl;dr - PS4 version is fine; Vita version still needs work but has gotten better after patching.

Not a massive improvement but it is much better than before. Will likely wait until more patches release before I consider picking this up (expect at least one more patch to release close to the NA/EU launch or after it with some additional content).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I picked up a sealed MLB 15 (the voucher one) from Nebraska Furniture Mart for $1.00.

Cheapest Vita game I've seen yet.
It was the only one left else I'd have grabbed them all to give away.

i-Jest

I've been seeing more of this doom and gloom forecast, regarding the Vita's lifespan, now that we've got a look at what third parties are going to support the Switch. I get why people might think that way but people need to get off that. The console was suppose to be dead along time ago, and its not. Instead what happened was we saw an emergence of indie and niche JRPG's that didn't have a chance else where. People liked that and flocked to the console for those things. I don't know what situation the console will be in 2 years from now. As far as I know, we have no factual proof what will become of it, one way or the other. I do know what the console currently offers, what it will offer, and what it will potentially offer through localization. That's enough to keep me excited about where it is and where it's going. Who's to say these Vita devs won't continue to support the console, alongside supporting the Switch? If your an indie dev, wouldn't it make sense to get your work on as many platforms as you can or if you want?

Rant over...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RVry9unaAw

Havian's video about PS4 vs. Vita versions of SAO is up.

tl;dr - PS4 version is fine; Vita version still needs work but has gotten better after patching.

Gonna give this one a watch soon.

Vita version is still a joke. The framerate improvements are there, but only minor.

Really? I'd say the changes were substantial. It's still not in a great place but it was clearly like sub 10 FPS before and looked more like ~ 20 FPS after the update.

I'm still not buying at launch or any time soon, but if they keep making tweaks to the Vita version, I'll pick it up eventually.

redcrayon

Has anyone picked up the Vita port of Darkest Dungeon yet? I'm interested to see how big the text is on it, having struggled with text-heavy interfaces on ported games before (particularly Space Hulk).

RK128

Has anyone picked up the Vita port of Darkest Dungeon yet? I'm interested to see how big the text is on it, having struggled with text-heavy interfaces on ported games before (particularly Space Hulk).

My review of the game is going to release this weekend on the game, so will share my full thoughts on it then. But they do a solid job adapting the game for consoles despite some interface stuff being confusing at first.

joe2187

Banned

There is a little bit of a learning curve when it comes to the controls, and how they work for the different menus. It takes a while to get used to and then to remember what does what without constantly making the same mistake.

but after that, the game is a really well done port with very little issues. The Devs are taking feedback from Vita players constantly on how to improve it further so it's nice to know they're not stuck with the current version forever.

I've been playing it along and have found it to be worth the price.

just remember the controls need to take a while to get used to.

deadfolk

Honestly, I play my Vita more than 3DS, PS4, XB, WiiU , PC combined, but if Switch is where the games end up going, I'll play them there. Have a pre-order already.

Right now though, most of the games I want to play are on Vita and I love the VitaGaf community. It saddens me that we seem to be going dark.

Really? I'd say the changes were substantial. It's still not in a great place but it was clearly like sub 10 FPS before and looked more like ~ 20 FPS after the update.

I'm still not buying at launch or any time soon, but if they keep making tweaks to the Vita version, I'll pick it up eventually.

I gave it a shot after the update and there are still many places and situations where the framerate goes beyond 10fps. It runs more fluid in towns, like sub 20 now, but don't get your hopes up just yet. There is still a lot of work needed to make the game at least "enjoyable". IMHO.

redcrayon

My review of the game is going to release this weekend on the game, so will share my full thoughts on it then. But they do a solid job adapting the game for consoles despite some interface stuff being confusing at first.
There is a little bit of a learning curve when it comes to the controls, and how they work for the different menus. It takes a while to get used to and then to remember what does what without constantly making the same mistake.

but after that, the game is a really well done port with very little issues. The Devs are taking feedback from Vita players constantly on how to improve it further so it's nice to know they're not stuck with the current version forever.

I've been playing it along and have found it to be worth the price.

just remember the controls need to take a while to get used to.

Cheers vitagaf

I've been seeing more of this doom and gloom forecast...
I've been seeing more of this doom and gloom forecastr...

This.

I have always seen this thread as a thread made to celebrate the Vita and to talk about what we are looking forward to play on the system, I don't care much for statistics about how many of us here that will buy a switch when they release.

Im getting so tired of this thread's cycle. Every other week it's all about Vita lifespan predictions and then a couple of games, that people are interested in gets released and that snooze the doom and gloom for a couple of days/weeks.

Why don't you enjoy your games and Vitas until you don't have any games left that you are looking forward to, instead of talking about how you are preparing yourself for the moment when that becomes a reality.

Right now I am really enjoying DQ:B, Darkest Dungeon, Exist Archive and Spider:Rite of the Shrouded Moon, to the point that I don't know which one I want to play the most, each time I start my Vita.

I have a huge backlog.

I still haven't bought Word of FF, Root Letter and Psycho Pass and I'm really looking forward to:

Steins;Gate 0
Skyhill
Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine (EU)
Wheels of Aurelia
Pox Nora
Caligula
Summon Night 6: Lost Borders
Akiba's Beat
Fallen Legion
CubiKolor
Full Throttle Remastered
2064: Read Only Memories
Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
Dex
Randall
Elroy & the Aliens
Children of Morta
Iconoclasts
Hue
Muse: Together is the New Alone
Crossing Souls
Soft Body
Imagination is the Only Escape
Chroma Squad
The Banner Saga
Roundabout
Outpost 13
Ray's the Dead
Salt & Sanctuary
Ascension: Chronicle of the God Slayer
VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Mercenary Kings
Papers, Please
Cosmic Star Heroine
Liege
Pavilion
Rainbow Skies
To Leave
Heart Forth, Alicia
One Way Trip
Drifter
Inner City Kids
Rain World
Collectems (still not sure if this ever was a game)
Y2K
Valkyria: Azure Revolutions
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Danganronpa V3
Jenny leclue
Starlight tactics

still hoping for:

Ronin
Hero Must Die
Net High
Chaos;Child
Robotics:Note
World End Eclipse
Ys 8

Edit: My biggest surprises this far (2016): Spider:Rite of the Shrouded Moon, Disco Defenders, Attractio.
I really wish that Tharsis, Road not Taken, invisible inc, Rebel Galaxy and Infinifactory had vita versions, then I might have played them more than I have on my PS4.

RK128

This.

I have always seen this thread as a thread made to celebrate the Vita and to talk about what we are looking forward to play on the system, I don't care much for statistics about how many of us here that will buy a switch when they release.

Im getting so tired of this thread's cycle. Every other week it's all about Vita lifespan predictions and then a couple of games, that people are interested in gets released and that snooze the doom and gloom for a couple of days/weeks.

Why don't you enjoy your games and Vitas until you don't have any games left that you are looking forward to, instead of talking about how you are preparing yourself for the moment when that becomes a reality.

Right now I am really enjoying DQ:B, Darkest Dungeon, Exist Archive and Spider:Rite of the Shrouded Moon, to the point that I don't know which one I want to play the most, each time I start my Vita.

Edit: My biggest surprises this far (2016): Spider:Rite of the Shrouded Moon, Disco Defenders, Attractio.
I really wish that Tharsis, Road not Taken, invisible inc, Rebel Galaxy and Infinifactory had vita versions, then I might have played them more than I have on my PS4.

Sorry if I brought any negativity to the thread :(. Will try to avoid that in the future. I guess it is best to not talk about the Vita's future, and just discuss the system's vast library out now and in the coming months :).

Sorry if I brought any negativity to the thread :(. Will try to avoid that in the future. I guess it is best to not talk about the Vita's future, and just discuss the system's vast library out now and in the coming months :).

Which games are you looking forward to the most?

RK128

Which games are you looking forward to the most?

Next year I am very excited about titles like Summon Night 6 and Tokyo Xandau for next year personally. This year though, I am hopeful that I will be playing Shantae: Half Genie Hero and very excited to reviewing games like Root Letter in the coming week.

Next year I am very excited about titles like Summon Night 6 and Tokyo Xandau for next year personally. This year though, I am hopeful that I will be playing Shantae: Half Genie Hero and very excited to reviewing games like Root Letter in the coming week.

No love for Caligula? ;)

Edit:I didn't know that Tokyo Xanadu was announced.

RK128

No love for Caligula? ;)

Edit:I didn't know that Tokyo Xanadu was announced.

*Remembers that games name now*

Well, consider that being added to the list of things I want to get next year too XD.

Edit: Also want tell everyone that if you have a buck in PSN Credit (NA PSN Store), consider getting Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom. I want a review of that game up on 3WIREL by late this weekend but I am really enjoying it so far. More or less a top-down Zelda game in many regards and I really like it :).

Caligula looks like a pretty decent game, but I wish the performance weren't so bad. Still going to get it when it's released out here, though.

Parakeetman

Caligula looks like a pretty decent game, but I wish the performance weren't so bad. Still going to get it when it's released out here, though.

Its not bad music is good combat can be fairly interesting. Other stuff might drive folks crazy with the repetition though. Esp talking to the other students to raise friendship levels.

Other small issues exist too like getting caught up on parts of the map during combat in more crowded areas with objects.

Characters are interesting enough also. The character models and artwork are pretty close to eachother in resemblance.

Top Bottom