• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

Ryan95

Were people actually thinking it would be on Vita? They couldn't even fit X and X-2 on the same cart, no chance were they doing so with 12. Square also wasn't about to release a digital only title in Japan, not when doing so is a death sentence there.
This is just an excuse, they could even make a cart release+expand the dimension of the game via update or DLC. The real reason they didn't make it for Vita is:
-SE don't care about Vita (the most likely option)
-They didn't want a hypothetical Vita version to limit the potential of the console remaster graphics wise(another valid argument)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Were people actually thinking it would be on Vita? They couldn't even fit X and X-2 on the same cart, no chance were they doing so with 12. Square also wasn't about to release a digital only title in Japan, not when doing so is a death sentence there.

This is just an excuse, they could even make a cart release+expand the dimension of the game via update or DLC. The real reason they didn't make it for Vita is:
-They didn't want a hypothetical Vita version to limit the potential of the console remaster graphics wise(another valid argument)

The original would fit in a cart and i don't think anyone would have complained if the vita version was just a straight port of the ps2 version while keeping the ps4 verion upgraded.

Also it's not true that Se doesn't care about vita, there's DQB, DQH2, WOFF, SaGa(if it's still alive :/ ), just because they don't localize smaller games it doesn't mean SE is completely ignoring vita, not in Japan at least.

Also it's not true that Se doesn't care about vita, there's DQB, DQH2, WOFF, SaGa(if it's still alive :/ ), just because they don't localize smaller games it doesn't mean SE is completely ignoring vita, not in Japan at least.

That's what's strangest about this, I'd actually say Square Enix have completely changed their stance on Vita compared to the company that released X/X2 HD in 2013.

Since that time we've had a run of mobile ports on the console (Adventures of Mana; Chaos Rings; Romancing SaGa); announcement of multi-plats with PS4 games (Dragon Quest Builders/Heroes 2; World of Final Fantasy) and an exclusive title, for now at least (SaGa Scarlet Grace).

Which just makes me wonder about FF XII. Maybe they're seeing it as a game that's targeted only for the west rather than Japan, hence no Vita version. Even though the Vita versions of X/X2 pulled in nearly 300k, which I don't think is a market that they should really turn their nose up at. Especially since I can't see the PS4 version making up the difference.

Ah well.

It's 2017 release - 5/6 years after Vita launch so the hardware will be reaching end of typical generation.

I think 2016 will be last good year for Vita in Japan and after that it will only be supported with smaller titles.

For us in the west I'd expect last bigger localisations in 2017 and some leftovers in 2018.

I think 2016 will be last good year for Vita in Japan and after that it will only be supported with smaller titles.

I remember people saying that about 2015, but here we are :p

The thing with Vita is, in my opinion, it's never really had any 'big' titles. Aside from Minecraft which has just been a phenomenon for the console, just about everything that has been big has had some kind of disclaimer about it. For example, two of its biggest games (Final Fantasy X/X2 and Persona 4 Golden) were ports of PS2 games. Two others (Dragon Quest Builders/God Eater 2) were big on Vita, but weren't exclusives.

So in that respect, I think Vita will keep getting this mid-to-big stuff for a while yet, and at least into 2017. I mean heck, it's already had/having plenty this year (Dragon Quest Builders; Dragon Quest Heroes; KanColle Kai; Sword Art Online; Toukiden 2; World of Final Fantasy). And I don't think the PS4 is in a position to maintain titles like these on its own in the Japanese market.

But like I said in my last post, I'm guessing FFXII is somewhat of a special case. If you look at the titles for this year in Japan that Vita's getting I just listed, they're all Japanese-focused. You could argue FFXII is, but apparently Square Enix don't think so (also skipping PS3 I notice, despite the fact the two Dragon Quest games came to it).

But I gotta pick every single one of them. If it's a Vita game, it's one sale from me.

I used to think like that, but as soon as I missed Breach & Clear then saw the eBay prices, I thought "I'd rather spend my money somewhere else".

So now I'm just after the games I really loved, of which Octodad is one. Sadly for me (although happily for LRG, I'm sure) - Volume; Soldner; Rainbow Moon are among them, and I suspect Cosmic Star Heroine & YIIK will be too.

So they got off to a slow start, but they're getting there for me :p

Takao

Banned

You missed the most likely reasons:

- Square Enix has another demo they want people to pay for.
- Much like DQXI, the portable version will be exclusive to Nintendo hardware.

Tabata doesn't seem to be involved, so no poor eyesight excuse this time.

What can you do? Buy WoFF and maybe spam Corsi.

Shinriji

Just bought a second vita to gift to my mom (my vita was kidnapped some months ago, so she could replay FF8). She love all those "big head" JRPG. And so got a great deal on it. I already gave my old PSP but the screen was too small. As long as she didn't played most of the PSP JRPG library.

I seem to remember a similar strategy regarding something else Final Fantasy related not too long ago :p

If it's not been in development in all this time, it's gone I would imagine, nothing Gio could do about it. A shame and a silly choice if you ask me, but what can you do indeed.

Takao

Banned
I seem to remember a similar strategy regarding something else Final Fantasy related not too long ago :p

If it's not been in development in all this time, it's gone I would imagine, nothing Gio could do about it. A shame and a silly choice if you ask me, but what can you do indeed.

You never know. Type-0 was cursed, but that doesn't mean XII is.

P8MXsIq.png

https://twitter.com/WolfgameNA/status/739851285629804544

RK128

So Final Fantasy XII HD isn't landing on Vita? Considering recent Vita efforts by Square with the Dragon Quest games (Heroes 2 and Builders) and World of FF, a bit surprised they ditched the Vita for XII HD.

But Square is giving us something on the Via with those three games I mentioned. Not to mention a ton of great upcoming stuff like Cold Steel 2, Neptuina vs. Sega Hard Girls, and other JRPG's on the horizon. So it is very hard to care that much.

Just a bit surprising and I can imaging upsetting to some who enjoyed the FFX/X-2 HD on Vita is all.

So Final Fantasy XII HD isn't landing on Vita? Considering recent Vita efforts by Square with the Dragon Quest games (Heroes 2 and Builders) and World of FF, a bit surprised they ditched the Vita for XII HD.

But Square is giving us something on the Via with those three games I mentioned. Not to mention a ton of great upcoming stuff like Cold Steel 2, Neptuina vs. Sega Hard Girls, and other JRPG's on the horizon. So it is very hard to care that much.

Just a bit surprising and I can imaging upsetting to some who enjoyed the FFX/X-2 HD on Vita is all.

I think a user before was right. FFXII is west focussed more so itll be PS4 and then 6-12 months later PC. This defo needs to be on Vita to sell in Japan nicely.

Ryan95

You missed the most likely reasons:
- Square Enix has another demo they want people to pay for.
- Much like DQXI, the portable version will be exclusive to Nintendo hardware.
Tabata doesn't seem to be involved, so no poor eyesight excuse this time.
The demo theory is really likely and it really does make sense (and it would justify a full price release of the remaster).
As the idea of buying WoFF and spamming Gio Corsi is concerned, I am very skeptic for several reasons. At this point of Vita lifetime, I fear the chance to have FFXII is very slim, and I've got so tired of constantly showing my Vita support for each franchise I want a portable installment of. However, I will still buy WoFF, but just because I'm interested in the game itself as,to be honest, I think that buying FFX HD on day one(together with the good numbers the Vita version has made in the West) should have been enough of my support to "deserve" FFXII as well.

The original would fit in a cart and i don't think anyone would have complained if the vita version was just a straight port of the ps2 version while keeping the ps4 version upgraded.

I'm sure quite a few people would complain if all Vita got was the original, which Square wouldn't even waste time making a physical version of. When I said "wouldn't fit on a cart" I meant the remaster wouldn't, not the original. The remaster for 12 will without a doubt be too big to fit on a Vita cart, if a Vita version were made.

People haven't been holding out this long just to play the original version of the game that they likely still have on PS2, they've been waiting all this time for everything that came with the IZJS version and the upgrades that a remaster would bring. It would honestly amount to a slap on the face if they only gave Vita owners the original, while PS4 (and PC eventually) get the updates.

What would "expand the dimension of the game" even mean in this game's case? The game isn't even going to have dlc on PS4, why would it on Vita? A physical version on Vita would not work unless they started stripping out remaster features and forcing people to download them, something that few would actually be fine with.

"Not caring about Vita" also isn't a thing due to how much they're showing they care in Japan, and to some extent the West (even if it's only recently).

Takao

Banned
Making one of the audio tracks free DLC would be an easy way to deflate the file size. That has been done to multiple Vita games.

Clive

Some basic Googling among torrents leads me to believe FFXII IZJS is roughly comparable in size to FFX or FFX-2 and these two games each fit on a Vita cartridge. Why are we so sure it wouldn't fit?

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i was so happy i was close to platinum atelier ayesha plus, but then i found out i was using a ps3 version of the trophy guide that was missing 2 trophies from the vita version, 1 of them requires me to beat the ultimate bosses, and i cant do it

i tried a lot of things, guides to ultimate equipment, ultimate support items, but i still can't beat any of the 4, and now i'm sad

i guess i'll just get the last ending and move on to escha and logy

Cornbread78

Well, they reconfirmed World of Final Fantasy is being launched in NA in Oct, right after Exist Archive and Dragon Quest Builders. My Vita can't wait until fall.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/739987402303803392

I'm guessing XSEED will reveal more stuff tomorrow

I still don't see anything pointing to Valkyrie Drive or Net High though :/

Yeah those hints are for the new Story of Seasons, Akiba's Beat and Fate Extella. Definitely.

There are two lines that I can't place, which is the reference to snow/rain and the riddles in dreams, but those might just be red herrings.

None of them sound like TX/VD/NH

But I think we'll get VD at some point. I believe in Takaki. He'll translate it himself if he has to :p

At this point I'm not sure how they'd even be able to fit those two/TX into their schedule. SoS 2, AB, FE, TiTs 3rd, CS 2 and all the various pc ports they're doing means they'll be quite busy.

Still hoping though.

Depends on how much work they are actually doing on most of those PC ports, considering it's the devs doing the port, not Xseed. The only upcoming ones that we know they are actually doing a significant amount of work for are 3rd and Xanadu Next, while the rest is likely them pointing the devs in the right direction as to what people expect on PC.

Even with the 3 unnanounced games on the table, they're doing significantly less than what we knew they were doing last year around this time, which is why I honestly think they have other games to announce as well. Even the indies they have announced, the only one they're working on is Touhou, the rest are just them signing on as a publisher for them.

Beyond that, would we even be getting Akiba's Beat and Fate/Extella this year? The games aren't even coming out in Japan till late this year, would we actually be getting them the same time? I mean I know they have the PC ports and CS 2 coming up, but their summer/fall is just about a barren wasteland when it comes to releases they're doing significant work on. Surely they haven't been hiring more and more people just so they could publish games for people, nor do they seem like the kind of company that would up and abandon a platform (for exclusive releases) when every other smaller company is still supporting it.

Saphirax

Depends on how much work they are actually doing on most of those PC ports, considering it's the devs doing the port, not Xseed. The only upcoming ones that we know they are actually doing a significant amount of work for are 3rd and Xanadu Next, while the rest is likely them pointing the devs in the right direction as to what people expect on PC.

Even with the 3 unnanounced games on the table, they're doing significantly less than what we knew they were doing last year around this time, which is why I honestly think they have other games to announce as well. Even the indies they have announced, the only one they're working on is Touhou, the rest are just them signing on as a publisher for them.

Beyond that, would we even be getting Akiba's Beat and Fate/Extella this year? The games aren't even coming out in Japan till late this year, would we actually be getting them the same time? I mean I know they have the PC ports and CS 2 coming up, but their summer/fall is just about a barren wasteland when it comes to releases they're doing significant work on. Surely they haven't been hiring more and more people just so they could publish games for people, nor do they seem like the kind of company that would up and abandon a platform when every other smaller company is still supporting it.

I certainly hope so. Maybe around AX they'll announce more games, but it's pretty odd that they don't have anything until later in the year.

18-Volt

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/739987402303803392

I'm guessing XSEED will reveal more stuff tomorrow

I still don't see anything pointing to Valkyrie Drive or Net High though :/

What's worse is they won't be releasing any games this year after Cold Steel 2.

Also they're bringing Akiba's Beat over all those Vita games. After Mind Zero, I'm not sure if I want to play another Acquire JRPG. but all these things only confirms that XSEED only localize games they like.

Also they're bringing Akiba's Beat over all those Vita games. After Mind Zero, I'm not sure if I want to play another Acquire JRPG. but all these things only confirms that XSEED only localize games they like.

I think ZeroDiv are the main ones to blame for Mind=0 :p

Top Bottom