• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

i wish we could get the psp burnout games on vita

This is why the great compatibility glitch is one of my favourite things to ever happen to Vita. Burnout; Future Cop; Populous; SSX; The Sims; Theme Hospital... just hope it happens once more so I can get the final few games I'm missing across

(Also notice: almost exclusively EA games which are incompatible, twats).

So, I got Uppers just to have Daidouji flirting with cute girls and...is not a good game at all.

The game is not import friendly and if you've played the demo, you've pretty much played the game already.

I've only played a couple of missions but so far the game is an old school beat' em up in every sense of the word. Far as I can tell there's no substancial difference between characters beyond the aesthetics (the main dudes hit as hard as Daidouji for example). There's no exp gain or move lists from what I can garner and the characters have a single attack string. For some reason the combat is really sluggish, and while it is fast when the mooks can be defeated with a single attack, as they grow in stats, the combat becomes somewhat of a chore because they turn into damage sponges. The game also lacks higher mechanics to take advantage of downed enemies like SK's aerial raves or VD's phantom moves. The only thing you can do is to kick them a little while they're down and then repeat your single combo until they die.

The "crazy" attacks the game is focused on are context sensitive inputs and they all use canned animations regardless the character, and while is cool to punch a dude into a chopper the first three times, by the tenth one it starts to become stale.

Let's hope there's something deeper hidden in the game because so far it really seems like a 10 bucks Xbox Arcade game.

incpdo

i wish we could get the psp burnout games on vita

Don't do this to me man , Burnout Legends is by far one of my favorite PSP games . Its a shame , At least im able to play the psp ridge racer that is also one of my favorite games , unfortunately is not the second ridge racer for psp which has double the content but still great.
While not in the same vein of Burnout , Split Second for PSP is a pretty fun game and if you get it in a sale or something you should buy this game, plays great .

I'm done with Uppers' first chapter. The game is a mindless button masher through and through, you don't really need more than mash square to progress.Triangle despite being a strong attack is not really useful since the attacks are very slow and don't combo with anything. Combat speed is improved but is still slow for a modern brawler. There are some "dramatic" camera angles that the game is fond to use that while looking cool, totally mess up with you and make really hard to follow up your attacks.

Finishing the first chapter took me little more than two hours and most of that was because I did every mission on every difficulty with Dai, earning the highest rank on all of them. So it doesn't seem it will be a long game.

For all the fanfare, the cheerleaders are very irrelevant if you aren't aiming for a good rank. You can ignore them and there won't be any difference, their boosts are more or less meaningless in the long run. But if you're interested on them, you'll notice a lot of their requests are unnecessarily complicated. The game spawns the exact amount of foes needed to fullfill their requests and if you mess up (something really easy to happen with the way the game can mess up with you) you'll have to redo the mission

Also, if you beat all the mooks in a section, the game will automatically move forward, locking up the cheerleaders. So you can't backtrack within the level to fullfill their requests.

The "crazy" moments the game bragged about are also poorly implemented: they're context sensitive and come in two flavors: those focused on single enemies, making them irrelevant or those useful against packs of mooks, making them broken.

The enemies have a decent AI and damage input but the game is still pretty easy. With the characters I've never been in a serious risk of failing a mission and getting damaged only hurt my ranking. That by the way, the criteria is pretty obscure. Finishing the stage without getting hit but not fullfilling requests can land you an A or B but fullfilling requests and getting hit a lot can net you the best rank

I take this is something knowing japanese would be pretty useful. This leds me to another point, to fully experiment the game, japanese knowledge is needed.

While you can brute force your way on many requests, there are ones where that didn't work.

The game is not the absolute disaster I thought at first but is pretty damn underwhelming, as long you enjoy mindless button masher, you will get enjoyment of the game but certainly isn't something I'd recommend out of a sale.

Oh, and so far there aren't differences of note between the five characters (six with Dai) available. No different combo strings nor special attacks available. The only differences are the attack animations, with some characters being faster due that.

Dai flirting is hilarious though.

The game is not the absolute disaster I thought at first but is pretty damn underwhelming, as long you enjoy mindless button masher, you will get enjoyment of the game but certainly isn't something I'd recommend out of a sale

I still don't understand why they didn't put a little open world in. I know it wouldn't solve all the game's problems but at least Bullets have experience with it and it would provide a little variety.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/16/12206424/garou-mark-of-the-wolves-ps4-playstation-vita-snk

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is coming to Vita. Gio continues to give me hope that PSX might be the last bastion of hope for Vita announcements at a Sony conference.

A really nice surprise and a day 1 purchase for me. Great to see some of SNK's best games getting ported to the Vita. Its nice to see it getting a PS4 release as well, but an arcade perfect (or close to arcade perfect, depending on how well its emulated) port of Garou on a portable system is like a dream come true for me.

Hope no one was expecting Steins Gate 0 to come out before Valkyrie Drive.

PQube ‏@PQubeGames 12h12 hours ago
@Ailish100 nothing's wrong with the game, the process is complicated, a lot of games are coming for this Q4 and we don't want to botch it

PellegriTestament
‏@Pellegri116
@PQubeGames @Ailish100 So that would mean SG0 is after Valkyrie Drive, correct?

PQube ‏@PQubeGames 1h1 hour ago
@Pellegri116 @Ailish100 :(

PQube ‏@PQubeGames 1h1 hour ago
@Ailish100 @Pellegri116 can't confirm or deny anything

Game launching September: "Why is every game in September???"
Game not launching in September: "But I wanted it in September :("

To be fair, the original placeholder date for it was the end of August. But ya, it didn't matter to me whether it released in September or October because both months may as well be the same to me in terms of releases. I have 2-3 in September (MeiQ, Valkyrie Drive, CS2????) and 4 in October (Exist Archive, SeHa, WoFF, Yomawari). Would have been nice to have SG before all that.

I'm super hyped for Steins;Gate 0, it's probably my most anticipated upcoming game, but I can wait. I have a massive backlog and there's plenty coming out I'll be buying to keep me going too.

Besides, although I'm sure it's great, since I know what it's based on I don't feel like it's an essential storyline I need to see right away (unlike say, DanganRonpa 2, which I wanted to experience immediately).

I was too, but I think the writing was on the wall when they said not even a week ago that they were still in the design process for the LE.

That's not a good sign that a game is launching in less than 2 months.

It might be possible since the LE will most likely be eclusive to rice so they dont need to send to retailers but just have it in house in their own store.

I just want S;G 0 asap.

I reached Upper's four chapter, curious about the idea of the game offering some sort of way to build up your characters.

To this end I rushed through two full chapters and while that helped a lot to improve the overall experience (beating people up is entertaining) it does makes clear the game doesn't has that much of a longevity. Is clear they were aware of that since your progress through the story is gated behind your in-game achievements.

Thankfully is nothing to complicated, you simply need to replay a couple of missions to raise your completion percentage (something that can be done in a couple of minutes), rather than locking behind the girls' requests

While the game has improved, it also make clear a lot of its faults lie on pretty questionable design choices. Takaki clearly had a pretty ambitious idea for this title but the implementation is at odds with what the system can actually offer. Simply rushing through the game is fun and is actually somewhat reminicent of Burst. But playing the game like that not only makes the game incredibly short -I finished those two chapters in an hour- it also hurts your ranking

So, to get good ranks you need to go through the stage but fullfilling the request from the girls. Putting aside the language barrier, some requests are pretty easy and play well with the idea of doing crazy stuff the game promised. But others are a pain in the ass to fullfill due the clunky combat. The stages also give you a single shot to finish those requests and if you fail, you have to redo the stage again. As a side note, the game lacking a retry option is a pretty glaring flaw. It is a flaw due the request system. If you fail to fullfill one, you have to exit the mission, wait until you're returned to the hub, enter the stage selection menu and pick your stage again
There's always at least one request that is a bitch to complete per stage, making the whole thing pretty tiring for completionists

A middling level design and at times odd enemy placement don't help to make thing easier either. When the levels are just moving from point A to B, they are pretty good but every now and then you find maze-like stages that totally break the flow of the game. As the stages are finished simply by killing every enemy present, those stages end with multiple segments where you are just walking around looking for the enemy you missed. Another thing that complicate things further is that the Vita clearly wasn't powerful enough for the game and pretty often you'll find enemies literally popping into existence as you walk pass by them.

Your only indication about their location is that the cursor placed beneath your character is red as long there's still enemies around. The game lacks both jump button and a run/dash one. A pretty weird decision for a brawler. It wouldn't be so bad if your enemies didn't move too much, but is pretty common for your punches launch them across the room so you have to walk towards them to finish them off

Pressing X when a broken arrow appears on downed enemies prompts your character to move towards them and giving them a stomp regardles their distance, this alleviates things somewhat but is not perfect and a lot of times is hindered by background elements...Like the cheerleader girls

Talking about the playable characters, by chapter four the wrestler is unlocked, and he's the first character with a notorious stat difference:He packs quite a punch but is very slow.

With chapter four you also unlock the gym where you can buy stat boosts and new "techniques" for your guys. But here is where comes those weird design choices I was talking earlier. Why put something like that until the middle point of the game?
And what's more, instead of having the available techniques simply gated behind high prices, a lot of them are tied to your progress. That only makes sense when is a game like DMC were you get new weapons as you progress, but you don't get new weapons here. And in fact, buying one "technique" makes it apply to the whole cast. Once again, making clear all the characters are the same at their core.

The only stats you can buy are more health and strength, but you can only buy one of each per character. I hope this is also tied to your story progress because otherwise the boost is too pitiful to be worth it. Another thing is that far as I can tell, buying those techniques the only thing it does is adding more attacks to your attack string. While this comes handy against the damage sponge enemies, it makes fullfilling some requests harder and by having a longer combo string, increases the odds of being hit by the mooks before your animation is finished.

Because that is another weird choice, there's no real way to cancel most of the attack animations but at the same time, you don't have invincibility while those animations play, turning you into a sitting duck. I actually got hit more times after buying those additions at the store.

The combat is not designed to allow subtleties. For every request you have to bait the mooks into specific points of the map and you can't just bait one, every enemy on screen will follow you. And once you got them where you want, you have to use your finishers in specific ways to complete the request. If you mess it up and kill the enemy then you have to look for another pack of enemies and repeat. If there's no more enemies in sight, you'll have to repeat the stage. This vicious cycle is why I find the cheerleader system to be more trouble that is worth.

Anyways, when you take into account the lack of noticeable differences between the characters and the way the story is laser focused on the blue haired pretty boy and his red haired pal (On four chapters, I've only used other characters on four stages. Hell, even in the special missions you unlock by fully raising the affection of the "queens" you're forced to use the two main dudes.), I find the big cast to be entirely superflous. Using two characters is also unecessary. There's only one special gameplay mechanic between them, you can't use the tag to cancel or expand your combos and the game isn't hard enough to warrant having a "backup" character with you at all times.

The way the game handles different tiers of enemy is by simply increasing their health and defense, so there's no reason to use anyone but the wrestler (or Daidouji) since they reduce the time you waste on those damage sponges. Most bosses are like that by the way.

There's little variety among enemies. No long range attackers, no gimmick ones, no airborne ones. Just a bunch of different dressed guys that punch you or use a blunt object as weapon. The bosses do have different gimmicks and tend to have better AI, but you can stun lock them by punching them non stop, so yeah...

Lastly, compared to the way Mirei was translated to Bikkhuni (or even the Battle Vixen chars on EV) Daidouji is pretty dissapointing.Whereas those characters had references to their original series (and in Mirei's case, the game system was tweaked to be faithful to the anime rules) Dai lacks any sort of references to SK.Taking aside the fact Uppers lacks the "magic" present on SK, there's no attempt done to translate even one of her attack animations from SK to Uppers. Uppers' multiple special attacks would've been perfect to slip references to SK. Make Dai punch dudes into choppers by using the OHKO punch she had on Burst or I don't know, add a tiger roar to her finishers. Anything to make her stand out. But instead she uses the same canned animations than everyone else.

Well, to be fair they did lift something from SK. A lot of her lines are exactly the same she had on EV, weirdly enough, given they brought Yuu Asakawa back to record some new lines like the system ones.

AUlHbOV.jpg

Boy, those were a lot of words.

Thanks for the details about Uppers :) I'm waiting for my copy to ship, I'll look forward to giving it another shot myself when it arrives (for what its worth, I enjoyed the demo).

Not impossible. You need seven reviews to show up in Metacritic's best of all time or yearly charts though. "Funnily", Odin Sphere might never be featured in either since so few sites do Vita reviews these days.

I gave the Vita AND PS4 version of it a 9.5/10 but my review only shows up under 1 platform because that's how MC works. Afaik it counts 1 review for 1 platform. On Opencritic, it lists both platforms. so my 9.5 doesnt show up for Vita version of OS.

I wonder what's happening with Shiren in EU. No EU publisher, no announcement of a digital release from Aksys. Would be really strange if they just skip it completely.

I wonder what's happening with Shiren in EU. No EU publisher, no announcement of a digital release from Aksys. Would be really strange if they just skip it completely.

Is there any DLC for this, do you know? I'd hate to miss out on something I wanted like the Monokuma mission from Conception 2.

That said, I kinda expect Aksys releases to either skip EU or be digital-only these days. I'm hoping it doesn't happen with Exist Archive/Xanadu but I'm thinking it will.

Is there any DLC for this, do you know? I'd hate to miss out on something I wanted like the Monokuma mission from Conception 2.

That said, I kinda expect Aksys releases to either skip EU or be digital-only these days. I'm hoping it doesn't happen with Exist Archive/Xanadu but I'm thinking it will.

I was wondering about DLC myself but was too lazy to check so far. But quickly looking up the title on JP PSN doesn't show any additional content except for a demo, so importing should be fine.

Skipping EU entirely makes no sense, ratings aren't THAT expensive and they released stuff like MocoMoco and Langrisser (lol) digitally on 3DS.

I do expect someone to pick up Exist Archive and Xanadu for EU physically, NISA or PQube. One's on PS4 and the other is still high profile enough imo.

RK128

That looks interesting, thanks for posting. It's on my wishlist now.

Btw, any news from Darkest Dungeon on Vita? It was supposed to come on July, right?

The developers said that they are planing to release both the Vita & PS4 versions sometime next month in August.

BTA

Alone with You, an adventure title, is releasing on Vita this August 23rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw2bBuWXLyQ

Really looking forward to this; I liked Home a lot and I've been excited for this ever since it was announced.

Now if only things could just... stop coming out for a bit. I know you guys are talking about September specifically, but I feel like ever since this month started, everything[ is suddenly hitting from now till October or so. I'm happy there's so many appealing games coming out but I don't have the money or time for all the things I want to play, aaaaaahhhhh.

...and similarly, I'd make an exception for Steins;Gate 0. I'm not sure how but at recently I realized that it kinda casually became the game I'm probably looking forward to the most at the moment.

Top Bottom