• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita games (OVER 150 games with screens inside!) L@@K

Arzehn

I just want a localization of God Eater 2. Is that so much to ask? :(

Have they added online in yet or is it still local multiplayer only? If online isn't in I imagine that's the hold up on the localization. Game wouldn't be received as well without it. At this point though GE2 Burst will probably be announced at TGS and we'll get that instead.

Percy

Banned
Ugh.

Indies are one of the worst things to happen to gaming. Why? Because companies are using these "game releases" to hide the fact that there is nothing of substance coming out on the horizon (Vita, PS4).

Sony is selling these half assed attempts at games as if they are full fledged experiences.

Where the hell are the middle of the road budget titles that offer different experiences with higher quality standards?

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

God of War, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Burnout 3: Takedown, Gran Turismo 3, GTA: SA, SMT series, Final Fantasy XII, Katamari Damacy, Guitar Hero (original), Call of Duty (original), Killzone, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, Onimusha, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Beyond Good and Evil, Socom, SSX, Star Wars Battlefront, Tales of Symphonia, Yakuza... a lot of these series were NEW IPs at the time. Nowadays these IPs have been milked to death instead of companies coming up with new games.

I realize that some of these are higher budget titles, but come on. This is the standard that I expect from games (2 generations ago no less). Why the hell are people settling for this indie BS.

This new generation of games is absolutely garbage in my opinion.

It must be taking it's cues from your post history.

RK128

Can we make sure these are not all 2D side scrolling crap indie games like the majority of indie games on the Vita? Or are we going to throw in infographics and call it innovative?

Had enough of indies. They are not innovative, they rehash many of the same genres, game mechanics and content. Limbo, Kyntt Underground, and 85% of the Vita indie catalog to me are homogeneous and offer nothing new. It's ironic, because indies are meant to be cheap and guarantee profits: sounds innovative. In case you have your definition wrong let me define it for you.

Innovative: introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking

Why don't you go look at how many 2D side scrolling games are on that list with different art styles...... sounds innovative to me: NOT. Better yet, gaming moved into 3D during the late 20th century. What year is it again? As for AAA games on the Vita, they are far more innovative in creativity and game mechanics than any indie in their use of the features of the Vita: case and point Media Molecule, Killzone Mercenary, and well just about anything. Tearaway can stand above any indies in gameplay, story, and so on. Yes, these types of games only come once very 1-2 years, but handhelds require less development time and Media molecule has always included user generated content like in LBP to keep profits high instead of losing money on DLC.

If i'm playing and indie game like Limbo or Hotline Miami and have to ask myself why am I playing this 4 or 5 times in an hour, chances are it is crappy game.

Ugh :(.

Not all indie games are great but a large amount of them on Vita ARE good games :l. And, so what if the indie games aren't innovative? They fill in the gaps missing on the Vita library (Did ANY one major publisher outside of Ubisoft via Rayman Origins/Legend and Sony via LBP Vita make any 2D Platformers for Vita?) and 2D Side-Scrollers are just one of those gaps it fills.

But, you also have shooters (Sane Mora), action games (Hotline Maimi), puzzle-platformers (Stealth Inc, Thomas is Alone), horror games (Lone Survivor) and more. They take the 2D look due to how they are in-expensive to produce (these studios are small, so anything to save development cost and have ease of development is a must). If they make 3D games, they would take more time/money to make. Now though, Unity is workable with Vita now, so the chances of seeing more 3D games from indie studios is much higher.

As for the bigger games begging more innovative.....that is a lovely joke XD! The only games Sony put out for Vita that USE the damn thing was Gravity Rush, LBP and Tearaway. That. is. it. Studios and Publishers underplay the touch-screen/rear-touch pad/gyro controls to emulate the console experience. That is why games like Killzone and Uncharted use the Vita's touch screen and the like; to make up for the missing buttons the Vita has.

.....Indie games ARE games to man X(..... All it the tittle means is the they are smaller games; nothing more, nothing less. They are GAMES....that is all that should matter :l.

Corto

Name as many AAA, big budget games from a big publisher as you can... that you consider innovative, not derivative of anything else, and that don't fit into a genre. We'll be here waiting to see how many you come up with.

Wow, this is your 2nd post? Did GAF start offering political asylum to people who were too hardcore for the Youtube and IGN comment sections or something?

Throwaway account from a bozo trying to stir shit up. Just ignore him.

Have they added online in yet or is it still local multiplayer only? If online isn't in I imagine that's the hold up on the localization. Game wouldn't be received as well without it. At this point though GE2 Burst will probably be announced at TGS and we'll get that instead.

I heard they already did. They even released a better edition of GE2 already.

GEB2 would be great.

Takuan

Phantasy Star Nova piqued my interest until I saw that it's ad-hoc only. Why even bother?

Project Phoenix sounds interesting, but lord knows if it ever sees the light of day period, let alone on Vita...

Not really a better version, just a reduced price PlayStation The Best/Greatest Hits release. It did get a recent paid DLC though.

Oh...

...so with all that done...where's the English version? :( I mean how could Namco just let money sit on the table like this? :(

LMN

Can we make sure these are not all 2D side scrolling crap indie games like the majority of indie games on the Vita? Or are we going to throw in infographics and call it innovative?

If i'm playing and indie game like Limbo or Hotline Miami and have to ask myself why am I playing this 4 or 5 times in an hour, chances are it is crappy game.

Ugh.

I realize that some of these are higher budget titles, but come on. This is the standard that I expect from games (2 generations ago no less). Why the hell are people settling for this indie BS.

its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg

@Wreck

Rogue Legacy
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Freedom Wars
The Firefly Diary
Citizens of Earth
Hyper Light Drifter - HYPE!!!!
The Legend of Raven
Risk of Rain
Road Not Taken
Skullgirls Encore
Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited
Hohokum
Natural Doctrine
Don't Starve - Giant Edition - super hyped for this!

and i'll take all these

18-Volt

Oh...

...so with all that done...where's the English version? :( I mean how could Namco just let money sit on the table like this? :(

They only localize games after big consumer campaigns. Tales of Hearts R was granted a localization after Shahid's twitter campaign and they require 50,000 sigantures to think about Digimon story localization.

Next in line are God Eater 2 and Tales of Innocence R and I can't even imagine what they would require for their localization.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm so pleased that Atlus picked up Citizens of Earth. I really have no idea how such a pleasant-looking riff on Earthbound somehow failed to get enough attention to reach a reasonably small-fry Kickstarter goal, given EB's got such a rabid fanbase that precious few game projects have catered towards. The internet is a mysterious beast.

They only localize games after big consumer campaigns. Tales of Hearts R was granted a localization after Shahid's twitter campaign and they require 50,000 sigantures to think about Digimon story localization.

Next in line are God Eater 2 and Tales of Innocence R and I can't even imagine what they would require for their localization.

The sad thing is no one even wanted Tales of Hearts R when that campaign was going on. :( (ok I'm exaggerating a little but you know what I mean)

I wish that whole campaign was for God Eater 2 instead of a game that I remember in that campaign thread, some people were disappointed about.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Indie games can be great. Hey, great games are great games no matter what you label them: AAA, Indies, or whatever.

Although I admit it *is* kind of tiring for me personally to see that it seems like all that Indie offers are 2D platformers or something similar over and over and over and over and over again. It's nice to see that there are Indie games that deviate from this tiring (for me) formula, however.

baekshi

Banned

No thanks, don't want ToIR. Give me GE2 Burst/ Digimon / Girls und Panzer instead

18-Volt

The sad thing is no one even wanted Tales of Hearts R when that campaign was going on. :( (ok I'm exaggerating a little but you know what I mean)

I wish that whole campaign was for God Eater 2 instead of a game that I remember in that campaign thread, some people were disappointed about.

Yes people actually wanted Hearts R localization, Tales fans were very vocal about this. Innocence R and Final Fantasy Type-0 were other two games people asked for but I don't remember if anybody mentioned God Eater 2.

No thanks, don't want ToIR. Give me GE2 Burst/ Digimon / Girls und Panzer instead

Too bad, people actually buy Tales games. Innocence R was the second game in Shahid twitter campaign and it's safe to say we can expect it next year.

ricelord

Ugh.

Indies are one of the worst things to happen to gaming. Why? Because companies are using these "game releases" to hide the fact that there is nothing of substance coming out on the horizon (Vita, PS4).

Sony is selling these half assed attempts at games as if they are full fledged experiences.

Where the hell are the middle of the road budget titles that offer different experiences with higher quality standards?

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

God of War, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Burnout 3: Takedown, Gran Turismo 3, GTA: SA, SMT series, Final Fantasy XII, Katamari Damacy, Guitar Hero (original), Call of Duty (original), Killzone, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, Onimusha, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Beyond Good and Evil, Socom, SSX, Star Wars Battlefront, Tales of Symphonia, Yakuza... a lot of these series were NEW IPs at the time. Nowadays these IPs have been milked to death instead of companies coming up with new games.

T9nKo.gif

Anti-indie "gamers" hate games and just play what Game Informer tells them to.

They don't know how to process an independent game since no one is telling them to buy it.
These types of consumers are best at doing what they're told, which is why games aimed at them are constantly telling you where to go, what to do, and where not to go and what not to do.

pastrami

Impressive list, but I wish we would get an update on some of these. I mean, where the hell is Frozen Synapse? I feel like that game has been in the pipeline for 2+ years. Even on Double Eleven's game page, they say "It’s scheduled for release later in 2013." Well it's over halfway through 2014 and we haven't heard anything about the game. I wish that developers did a better job communicating, especially with a platform as tenuous as Vita. I'd hate to see some of these games silently cancelled.

My other worry is that some of these will receive less than stellar port jobs. A lot of them are PC first titles, which I don't mind, but I would hate to see another Dustforce.

so quick vita question, since this is the most recent vita topic i see

if im in the middle of downloading something and want to go to bed, is there any problem with just leaving the system on and plugged in overnight as it downloads? otherwise, is there any problem with shutting off the system mid download? Does it restart automatically like steam from where it left off, or do you have to redownload?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

if im in the middle of downloading something and want to go to bed, is there any problem with just leaving the system on and plugged in overnight as it downloads? otherwise, is there any problem with shutting off the system mid download? Does it restart automatically like steam from where it left off, or do you have to redownload?

It paused automatically if your download is cut off for whatever reason and it'll resume.

Nesther

I leave it on standby and plugged in all the time to download stuff. Always worked fine.

Never turned off the system during a download though, but I'd imagine it continues from where it left off.

Dsyndrome

Make sure you don't have the counter-intuitive option checked for downloads that stops them when you suspend / put your Vita to sleep.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People need to calm down about the whole Indie thing.

Not liking Indie is a-ok too and calling people that dislike them idiots or not a gamer is such a silly thing to do.

Not liking Indie is a-ok too and calling people that dislike them idiots or not a gamer is such a silly thing to do.

Saying that indie games aren't real games is idiotic.
Saying "it's 2014 why make 2d games" is idiotic

Video games made by smaller teams are just as real as games made by 2000 people in an annual franchise.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ohh, I didn't even know about that, do you know where that option is located?

FYI, it doesn't change a thing, and I am not even sure what it does, since sometimes my Vita will just pause the download if I left it unattended regardless whether I tic that option or not.

Saying that indie games aren't real games is idiotic.
Saying "it's 2014 why make 2d games" is idiotic

Video games made by smaller teams are just as real as games made by 2000 people in an annual franchise.

I agree.

But there is this sentiment that seems to push for people to like Indie games even if they don't want to, and I find it to be rather troubling.

I would love to see Phantasy Star Nova and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth get localized. I guess I'll have plenty of games to play on my Vita for the foreseeable future regardless.

Dsyndrome

ohh, I didn't even know about that, do you know where that option is located?

Settings -> Power Save Settings -> Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode

Make sure that option is not checked, and you're golden.

EDIT: If it's checked, it's using Wi-Fi in "Power Save Mode", aka turning it off. It's not using Wi-Fi while in standby, which is what a reasonable person would think it means.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Settings -> Power Save Settings -> Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode

Make sure that option is not checked, and you're golden.

EDIT: If it's checked, it's using Wi-Fi in "Power Save Mode", aka turning it off. It's not using Wi-Fi while in standby, which is what a reasonable person would think it means.

Not in my case, since my Vita *sometimes* still acts up pausing randomly when left on its own devices.

I know a number of people with the same problem too.

It's one giant mystery.

redcrayon

Had enough of indies. They are not innovative, they rehash many of the same genres, game mechanics and content. Limbo, Kyntt Underground, and 85% of the Vita indie catalog to me are homogeneous and offer nothing new. It's ironic, because indies are meant to be cheap and guarantee profits: sounds innovative. In case you have your definition wrong let me define it for you.

Innovative: introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking

Why don't you go look at how many 2D side scrolling games are on that list with different art styles...... sounds innovative to me: NOT. Better yet, gaming moved into 3D during the late 20th century. What year is it again? As for AAA games on the Vita, they are far more innovative in creativity and game mechanics than any indie in their use of the features of the Vita: case and point Media Molecule, Killzone Mercenary, and well just about anything. Tearaway can stand above any indies in gameplay, story, and so on. Yes, these types of games only come once very 1-2 years, but handhelds require less development time and Media molecule has always included user generated content like in LBP to keep profits high instead of losing money on DLC.

You didn't even look at the pictures before leaping in with this, did you.

I particularly liked the bit about the dozens of different genres mentioned in the OP apparently all rehashing the same genre while you then go on to talk about a FPS on it's sixth installment.

Again, how you can claim 150+ games from dozens of genres aren't innovative, when you haven't played them or even glanced at them, is beyond me. I'm sure some are going to be awful and deriviative, just like with full price software for the last 30 years. Indie isn't a genre or even a cohesive approach to game design,, budget is no guarantee of quality, AAA games are not guaranteed to include innovation, and being an indie studio doesn't preclude it.

redcrayon

Absolutely, a live-and-let-live approach is best, but then I wouldn't go into a thread listing dozens of upcoming AAA games and write them all off as homogenous, derivative rubbish either. At least not without expecting someone to pick apart my argument.

Silvawuff

I think as gamers we owe it to ourselves to acknowledge gaming in all of its wonderful forms. The Vita just happens to be a good ecosystem for indie games, and I think it's a good thing to see them getting love on this specific platform.

That's not all the Vita is -- indies are just a slice of the delicious gaming pie!

sub_o

Keep it civil guys.

This thread is about introducing upcoming Vita games regardless of the publishers, not about debate between independent vs non-independent games.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
They're sister companies. We work in the same building. Ghostlight just do publishing where as Laughing Jackal develop their own IP.

Further to this some of us (me for example) do work on both Laughing Jackal & Ghostlight games. But there's a fair few at Laughing Jackal who never really handle Ghostlight stuff (although more do if it's one of Laughing Jackal's PC ports).

incpdo

So disney infinity 2.0 image is broken it doesnt show anything. This is a great list of Titles an image you must upload is from upcoming survival horror "Forgotten Memories" it is an interesting game to look froward to.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
What kind of game is Twilight Struggle? It looks like a strategy game.

Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

I understand what you mean, but you don't seem to have a clear view of things:

1)indies are independent, this means there is no connection between the number of the indies and the number of AAA games, more indies doesn't mean less AAA games.

2)if there are so many indies is only because there are many people that buy them

3)i'm sorry to say this but imo AAA games are like dinosaurs, they are destined to extinction, they become too big, too expensive(= less profit with the same sales) and require too many people and time to be developed(=less number of games), look at how barren the PS4 and XB1 schedules are with indies included, think how worse they would be without indies.

4)"core" gamers may like games that blend the line between cinema and games(with the result that many games have neither good story nor good gameplay), but my impression is that the rest of the people(look at mobile for example) like to keep things separate, they want games to be games, if they want a good story the read a book or go to the cinema.

5)Let's not forget that there's crisis and like mobile and Steam teach less people is willing to pay 60€/$ for a game.

VLiberty

I agree.

But there is this sentiment that seems to push for people to like Indie games even if they don't want to, and I find it to be rather troubling.

People can decide whatever they want to play, no one can't force them to play anything.

Problem is that, as I said some pages back, the whole "I don't like indies" thing shows ignorance to say the least, because indies aren't a genre, indies are usually completely different each other. If I say "indie game" I'm not actually saying anything about the game itself.

People who blanket state "I don't like indie games" really fucking annoy me. In one fell swoop they're discounting everything from Ghost Song, Fez, Next Car Game, Broken Sword 5, Star Citizen, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Papers, Please, Guacamelee and Year Walk. That's a pretty broad range of games to dismiss because they don't like anything that falls under a particular definition.

I quickly went through to see what is Vita "exclusive". I'm quite sure there are mistakes, so feel free to update if so (or whenever something changes). I tried not including any that are/will be on PC/Mac or other home/handheld consoles. iOS/android I allowed. However, some, like Disgaea 4 I did allow as it sounds like it's an updated version of a game (with more content) rather than a straight port.

-----------------------------
Flame Over
Flyhunter Origins
Freedom Wars
Gunship X
Heroes of Loot
The Firefly Diary
Avoid Droid
Baboon
Bigfest
Bodycheck
Invizimals: The Alliance