• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita games (OVER 150 games with screens inside!) L@@K

Shizuka

This thread just made me order a 64GB card. Yikes, didn't know they were so expensive. Oh well...

image.php

Faustek

Looks good. Btw forgive the ignorance here but I always wondered if laughing Jackal and Ghostligt was the same under different names or if just a few members are the same.

Even if you simply ignore the rest of the games and simply compare to the handheld market, I'm pretty sure AAA are rare on handhelds for the simple reason that having the huge sales required to broke even are rarely met outside of some Nintendo properties.

I'm pretty much convinced that something like DQ IX, MH 4 and a mainline Pokémon game have much more resources dedicated to than Natural Doctrine, Freedom Wars and Dangan Ronpa 2.

Freedom Wars also reuse the 6-7 same maps for the whole game. The game is so big and important they are not even dubbing it for release. That doesn't scream AAA to me :p.

Hmm, 300 people for MH, DQ no clue but since it's SE probably more than needed.

Well honestly might be that I just think the production values look way better than the rest(not all) and just made a snap judgement.

But I still stand my initial point, we can't judge handheld consoles and home console to the same scale when it comes to throwing money on a product before accounting for the marketing.

Sorry for all the offtopic.

Metalmarc

Why?

Oh wait, I know why...

Im not found of many indies, except for Miami hotline (yes i have played quite a few) i never got into japanese games personally and minis don't do much for me

I need to work out what games i want

Duke Nukem being one

Edit : actually can anyone recommend me some action and platform indies i could try, instead of me immediately dismissing them

Looks good. Btw forgive the ignorance here but I always wondered if laughing Jackal and Ghostligt was the same under different names or if just a few members are the same

They're sister companies. We work in the same building. Ghostlight just do publishing where as Laughing Jackal develop their own IP.

Kings fan

Ugh.

Indies are one of the worst things to happen to gaming. Why? Because companies are using these "game releases" to hide the fact that there is nothing of substance coming out on the horizon (Vita, PS4).

Sony is selling these half assed attempts at games as if they are full fledged experiences.

Where the hell are the middle of the road budget titles that offer different experiences with higher quality standards?

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

God of War, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Burnout 3: Takedown, Gran Turismo 3, GTA: SA, SMT series, Final Fantasy XII, Katamari Damacy, Guitar Hero (original), Call of Duty (original), Killzone, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, Onimusha, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Beyond Good and Evil, Socom, SSX, Star Wars Battlefront, Tales of Symphonia, Yakuza... a lot of these series were NEW IPs at the time. Nowadays these IPs have been milked to death instead of companies coming up with new games.

I realize that some of these are higher budget titles, but come on. This is the standard that I expect from games (2 generations ago no less). Why the hell are people settling for this indie BS.

This new generation of games is absolutely garbage in my opinion.

Sendou

Ugh.

Indies are one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

Sony is selling these half assed attempts at games as if they are full fledged experiences.

Where the hell are the middle of the road budget titles that offer different experiences with higher quality standards?

This post man. I hope you are proud of yourself.

Faustek

Edit : actually can anyone recommend me some action and platform indies i could try, instead of me immediately dismissing them

Spelunky
Stealth Inc
Guacamelee
Retro City Rampage
Cell Damage HD
Velocity Ultra(Shmup)
Thomas was alone

And I know this isn't indie but Metal Slug. Really love those games and like an idiot I always buy them everywhere even if I won't play it.

Ugh.

Indies are one of the worst things to happen to gaming. Why? Because companies are using these "game releases" to hide the fact that there is nothing of substance coming out on the horizon (Vita, PS4).

Well they are indies. Perhaps better to say indies that make it will step up, Mike Bithells coming volume looks great, Dragon Fin Soup looks on track. Or perhaps the successful niche developers.

And really, stop being such a sad person. You're missing out on many fun experiences with that attitude. And if you don't feel like it go back to AAA only and make the market even more polarised.

Just a question what Indie games have you played?
They're sister companies. We work in the same building. Ghostlight just do publishing where as Laughing Jackal develop their own IP.

Ahh thanks for answering. I'll forever blame Ross for this mixup :)

Ugh.

Horrible post.

godofrawr

Banned
Ugh.

Dead. Because no one bought them. Because they mostly sucked. I'll take 4-5 indie games for the price of another Prototype, or Dark Void.

Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

This post is just ughhhhh

Great work, OP. I have trouble keeping up with Vita releases, so I will keep an eye on this thread. Awesome stuff coming, for sure!

Ugh.

You're right! Down with Sony and their indie-obsession. Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, The Binding of Isaac are all examples of half-assed attempts at video games. I'm pretty sure we can all agree on that.
leuhkiktmk96.gif

My Vita's not reading my memory card after it got dropped. Not sure if it's the card or the system, I don't seem to have an extra card to test :/

Ugh.

Yeah, bruh... where's all the mid-tier games? We need to go back to the good old days and get more stuff like this again:

...and less pointless trash like this:

amirite guise?

Fady K

Its released on the 30th July in the EU, if you want to add it to the heading for the game as well.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/07/09/rogue-legacy-release-date-confirmed-ps3-ps4-ps-vita/

Loving the OP mate, really well put together and just shows how strong the upcoming games for the handheld are. Nice one.

Thank you grounded_dreams for your lovely words and for the EU release date for Rogue Legacy. Added it :)

Really awesome OP, there are a lot of great games coming to Vita. I had some of them under the radar, but there are a number of cool ones I didn't know they were coming.

Thanks yurinka! I'm glad this thread introduced you to new games as well :)

Fantastic stuff, OP!

HOLY SHIT AT AZTEZ.

Thanks a lot mickcenary! Yes, Aztez looks great indeed. The style is a mix of Patapon and Madworld.

Incredible OP! There's a lot to look forward to here. Glad to see there is still a lot of games in the vita pipeline.

Thank you Nocturnx, there are a lot of lovely games coming out indeed! Stay tuned. I'll try to include every announced game.

Awesome OP!!

There's sooo many games on that list I want and so many more I didn't even know about.

For the immediate future I'll be getting Rogue Legacy and Swapper.

A bunch of srpgs too.

And for AAA Titles: danganronpa 2 and freedom wars and natural doctrine.

Lots to play on vita for sure.

Thanks a lot ricen-beans, and I agree with the bolded sentence, I ended up bumping into many games for the first time when I researched for this thread.

Great list (and not just because our game is near the top). Lots of stuff here that I had no clue about or had forgotten.

Thanks for stopping by Robert. I'm a fan and a follower on twitter :) Your next game is among the most interesting on that list and I must say I'm loving the overall look of the game!

A lot of content for the underrated little guy. The Vita is honestly a fantastic machine and it's very sad that it's not getting the love it deserves. At least there'll be a shit ton of games for it. I already have Shinovi Versus and HyperNep Rebirth:1 on my aim and am crossing fingers for a Ayesha+ and Bullet Girls localization.

Agreed man. Nice to see that a lot of gamers, both Vita and non-Vita owners, are excited about a lot of the content coming up though :)

What is that white stuff on her mouth? LOL

Since she's wearing Santa's hat I'm going to say a white fake moustache :{

Much appreciated me boy!

Thank you Amaya :)

Holy shit - maybe the most epic OP of all time. Nicely done.

I love the Vita, but for me there's a lot of quantity and a dearth of anything to really get me excited on that list. I think Tearaway is extra cruel in the sense that it showed us how good vita games could be, only to demonstrate definitely how poorly they sell, and thus be indirectly responsible for them never getting made again.

Sigh.

Thanks a LOT HueyFreeman. Really glad you liked the thread. And I'm really hoping we see more major content like Tearaway.

We (Laughing Jackal) were confirmed a booth at GamesCom. We've got a playable of our new game Flame Over so I hope if you're attending you'll come give the game a try. The picture in OP is from pre-pre-pre alpha stages. Here is the latest screen direct from our GamesCom build:

BtFwYckIMAAj_Te.png:large

Pleasure to see you in here :] I'll be updating the image for you :) Looking forward to playing it!

Great thread OP. Thanks! Lots of good games inbound.

Your kind words are motivational and appreciated, thank you!

Geez, I thought I only had like 10 games to look forward to before looking at this list.
Now that I counted properly, I'm up to 17 "insta-buys" +5 more if they get localized +11 more depending on price or how well they run on Vita. My poor wallet :(

Totally forgot about Collectems. Was really looking forward to that at one stage. Hope it delivers. Also, I want mah Assault Android Cactus!

Sweet! Always nice to see lesser known games join the lists of gamers want list :D

Excellent news, I'll update the OP then :]

Very nice and thorough thread on!

Thank you very much GoofsterStud!

I think that thread made up my mind regarding Vita vs 3DS purchase :)

You won't regret getting a Vita ;D If you need help on any older games you might have missed, ask away!

Great work, OP. I have trouble keeping up with Vita releases, so I will keep an eye on this thread. Awesome stuff coming, for sure!

Thanks a lot Love Deterrence! Good news - i'll keep updating the thread on a weekly basis, God willing, with all the newest stuff that is coming soon with dates. Stay tuned :)

Fady K

By the way guys, we are not at 150 games anymore. Since the thread was born we are nearing 200! (Currently at 196) :)

Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

God of War, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Burnout 3: Takedown, Gran Turismo 3, GTA: SA, SMT series, Final Fantasy XII, Katamari Damacy, Guitar Hero (original), Call of Duty (original), Killzone, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, Onimusha, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Beyond Good and Evil, Socom, SSX, Star Wars Battlefront, Tales of Symphonia, Yakuza... a lot of these series were NEW IPs at the time. Nowadays these IPs have been milked to death instead of companies coming up with new games.

I realize that some of these are higher budget titles, but come on. This is the standard that I expect from games (2 generations ago no less). Why the hell are people settling for this indie BS.

Your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad.

RK128

Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

:l

You REALLY don't get it do you? The REASON why AA games died out was because they didn't sell sadly :(. Not only that, but Japanese developers had a huge transition to handhelds, iOS and other devices (as they couldn't afford to make games as big as the past on PS3 and 360). So of course you are seeing less of that X(.

With Indie Games, that fills the lack of AA games beautifully :D. Between them being cheaper to make (most of the time), developers getting more rights to there IP making games this route (many of the smaller games you mention are owned by there publisher....that is why you don't see sequels to a good number of games from the PS2 era sadly), games getting huge support from platform holders (as they help space out release line-ups) and these games just being great :D.

Honestly, some indie games I played last year were better then any AAA game I ever played (loved Guacamelee, Fez, Thomas is Alone, Stealth Inc, Bit.Trip.Runner 2 and tons more :D)!

Give them a chance man :l. Just because they my not have a huge budge behind them or come from a publisher, that doesn't mean they are throwaway games. Heck, you may find them better then the big games out there.

Novocaine

Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

Why do Vita threads always attract shit posters like this?

Just let the Vita fans have some fun once in a while would you?

redcrayon

Ugh.

No. It's not like the developers of your games of 'substance' are making indie games instead. The lack of larger titles isn't a consequence of the proliferation of indie titles, it's a consequence of increased development time and budget, you're slinging the blame in the wrong direction.

The whole point of being an independent company is that the creatives aren't beholden to a large publisher selling them.

There were plenty of mid-tier titles of very poor quality, and plenty of good ones. Just like indie games, just like AAA games.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

I realize that some of these are higher budget titles, but come on. This is the standard that I expect from games (2 generations ago no less)
One generation ago, we had a similar large pile of new IP. This generation, there is a lot in the pipeline. Of the series you listed for the PS2, over a dozen weren't new IP, and FFXII didn't turn up 'till the same year the PS3 came out!

Why the hell are people settling for this indie BS.
I don't know how you manage to judge 200 different games from dozens of different genres on budget alone, as if millions of pounds was the only thing that mattered. It's like saying that there aren't any films worth seeing at a fringe festival when Transformers 4 is playing at the local cinema. You seem to be angry that fans with broad taste in small games have lots to play while the big hitters are all taking their time. How has the vibrant indie market affected mid-tier gaming? They are the mid-tier now. And how on earth are we 'settling'? Maybe some of us just like trying new ideas, no matter the budget.

How anyone on a games forum can look at 200 upcoming games and slag them all off at once with such a poor sweeping criteria as the fact that they aren't being published by a big company is beyond me. That's not an indication of quality, just an indication of big publishers having locked you into the £40 pricing model as a promise of quality that's been proven untrue just as often as not.

The PS4/XBOne are all of 8 months old. Patience, man. In the meantime, if you want to see mid-tier games based around new IP, the current indie market is where it will spring from as the makers of successful, decent titles gain experience. Stamping on the little guys for not being big guys is counter-productive to what you presumably want to see in the future, especially as dozens of mid-tier studios closed last gen.

icespide

Banned
Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

geeeeeeez

Ouren

Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

I'm an indie developer, and I know what you mean about medium budget stuff. I miss it dearly.
We're slowly losing our "AA" and "A" studios.

Only Doublefine, Iron Galaxy, and only few other survived the last cycle.

Typed up a long reply to that post but RK128 and redcrayon covered my thoughts well. Conceptually Indie games are the new middle tier games (outside of portable gaming and some PC games). I believe if you approach this segment of games (because Indie is not a genre) with an open mind then you'll likely find a bunch of video games that you'll immensely enjoy.

With that said, one of my most anticipated titles is Helldivers, that game looks to be awesome and I'm" staning it to whoever will listen, especially if its anywhere near as fun as Magicka. Another is Dragon Fin Soup which is continuing to shape up well and let me not forget the oh so awesome Frozen Synapse: Tactics.

Yet again OP, fantastic work keep it up.

Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

Oh boy! Who could forget the
imaginary
time when games like this came out on the DS and PSP?

How are the 3DS and Vita peasants surviving in this boring age of indies and Kickstarter?

Give me a mid-tier publisher backed game, dammit!

/s

I hope you feel proud of yourself by coming into a handheld thread and posting about all those PS2 games.

Since Sony published the largest share of those games, you might do well to understand Sony's not in the financial position they were in back during those days. They can't afford to support both the PS4 and Vita to make up for any shortages in games, so they supported the logical choice.

Western companies never supported handhelds in large quantities like consoles and now they're focused on their largest titles (with a few exceptions).

VLiberty

Tales from Space Mutant Blobs Attack
Guacamelee
Dustforce
Steamworld Dig
Stealth Inc
Dokuro
Fez
Sound Shapes
Spelunky
Stick it to the Man
Olliolli (does that count as platformer? nvm, it's awesome)
Knytt Underground
Rocketbirds
Runner 2

Bonus: TxK (nextgen Tempest) and Velocity Ultra (shmup + puzzle game = extremely awesome)

Must've forgotten something for sure.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Ugh.

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

This is going to go over well.

I don't know how you manage to judge 200 different games from dozens of different genres on budget alone, as if millions of pounds was the only thing that mattered. It's like saying that there aren't any films worth seeing at a fringe festival when Transformers 4 is playing at the local cinema.

TV shows and independent film is the worst thing to happen to film and cinema. These companies just use low budget crap to pad out the release schedule between summer blockbusters. Whatever happened to January's romantic comedies and October's slasher flicks? Avengers 2 should have been out last year.

/s

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

I miss the PS2 era.

Remember these?

Well, this is embarrassing. You posted about wanting B tier games on a struggling system, then accidentally posted a bunch of games which had development and marketing budgets that were stratospheric for the time, targeting a system that dominated its gen's marketshare at a ratio not seen since the NES.

Quick! Maybe there's time to edit the right list in, so no one arrives at the conclusion that you're an absolute moron or something!

Faustek

It just makes no sense to me considering both the Burst version and the two God Eater games, especially God Eater 2 so very well. Why suddenly pull a Yakuza on us? :(

Yupp, I was kinda expecting an announcement about a new version coming at TGS and following that a localisation announcement.

Corto

Great and dangerous thread. I'm almost afraid to subscribe it hehehe. Top notch work.

As a side note, does anyone know when and if 1001 spikes will be release in Europe for the Vita?

bothebo

Neo Member
Can we make sure these are not all 2D side scrolling crap indie games like the majority of indie games on the Vita? Or are we going to throw in infographics and call it innovative?

Had enough of indies. They are not innovative, they rehash many of the same genres, game mechanics and content. Limbo, Kyntt Underground, and 85% of the Vita indie catalog to me are homogeneous and offer nothing new. It's ironic, because indies are meant to be cheap and guarantee profits: sounds innovative. In case you have your definition wrong let me define it for you.

Innovative: introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking

Why don't you go look at how many 2D side scrolling games are on that list with different art styles...... sounds innovative to me: NOT. Better yet, gaming moved into 3D during the late 20th century. What year is it again? As for AAA games on the Vita, they are far more innovative in creativity and game mechanics than any indie in their use of the features of the Vita: case and point Media Molecule, Killzone Mercenary, and well just about anything. Tearaway can stand above any indies in gameplay, story, and so on. Yes, these types of games only come once very 1-2 years, but handhelds require less development time and Media molecule has always included user generated content like in LBP to keep profits high instead of losing money on DLC.

If i'm playing and indie game like Limbo or Hotline Miami and have to ask myself why am I playing this 4 or 5 times in an hour, chances are it is crappy game.

Corto

Chances are you're a crazy masochistic fool, if you need to ask yourself 5 times per hour why are you playing any game. The problem is yours not the game. Go away.

Had enough of indies. They are not innovative, they rehash many of the same genres, game mechanics and content.

Name as many AAA, big budget games from a big publisher as you can... that you consider innovative, not derivative of anything else, and that don't fit into a genre. We'll be here waiting to see how many you come up with.

Wow, this is your 2nd post? Did GAF start offering political asylum to people who were too hardcore for the Youtube and IGN comment sections or something?

Top Bottom