• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not the right thread but I'll crosspost from the Dreamcast thread and let you know I had an extra GDROM USB Adapter from Mnemo if anyone is looking for it. Looking for a US buyer, though.

antibolo

Banned
Very blurry, even with scaling turned off.

Thankfully, I managed to find a Sony component cable at the local game store. Overpriced; $15 for a used cable, but oh well....

Then I found out my TV DOES support YRW, you just plug yellow into green and change a mode on the TV that's kinda hidden, and not really mentioned in the instructions properly. Great.

Oh well, the picture looks great at least! It's much sharper now!

You're probably going to get a lot more lag than HDMI though.

As a general rule using anything below 480p in analog on an HDTV will get you significant lag.

Madao

I bought a GC D-Terminal Cable to go with my Framemeister! I opted for buying new off Amazon because the few second hand ones available all reported some kind of damage or imperfection when I enquired about the quality. I mean, what the hell is a sunburnt cable?

Anyway, so it arrived today! I'm questing whether or not it was really new though, because it didn't come with any paperwork inside the box (none of the usual health and safety warnings, club nintendo etc). Has anyone else bought these cables and can you let me know if this is normal?

I don't mind buying second hand, but given the price on these I'm gonna feel a bit cheated if they were secondhand sold as new.

That's not what I was hoping to hear... :/ What exactly are it's shortfalls?

iirc, GC D-Terminal cables came in a box in japan. USA GC Component Cables came in just a transparent bag (i still remember when i got mine in 2002)

Lynd7

Yes that will work. Many people buy from the ebay seller retro_console_accessories as all her cables are very high quality:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201294067744?_mwBanner=1

She sells the SCART cable you'll want to use with your n64 too and combines shipping.

Thanks. I already have a scart cable for going out of the N64, that doesn't also need to be rewired for the XRGB Mini right? It's only the cable for between the two devices?

D.Lo

I bought a GC D-Terminal Cable to go with my Framemeister! I opted for buying new off Amazon because the few second hand ones available all reported some kind of damage or imperfection when I enquired about the quality. I mean, what the hell is a sunburnt cable?
Sunburn just means a bit faded (on in the case of white consoles, yellowed). It would still have worked fine.

Anyway, so it arrived today! I'm questing whether or not it was really new though, because it didn't come with any paperwork inside the box (none of the usual health and safety warnings, club nintendo etc). Has anyone else bought these cables and can you let me know if this is normal?
Cables usually just come in a plastic bag in the box.
That's not what I was hoping to hear... :/ What exactly are it's shortfalls?
Framemesiter isn't built for 480p, it works okay, but will only be an improvement over your TV's native scaler if your TV is seriously terrible. My TV does a better job than the XRGB.

Very blurry, even with scaling turned off.

Thankfully, I managed to find a Sony component cable at the local game store. Overpriced; $15 for a used cable, but oh well....

Then I found out my TV DOES support YRW, you just plug yellow into green and change a mode on the TV that's kinda hidden, and not really mentioned in the instructions properly. Great.

Oh well, the picture looks great at least! It's much sharper now!
You're literally destroying the image if you're swapping from HDMI to YRW which I assume is yellow red white i.e. composite. It's a vastly inferior connection. You're doing the opposite of what this thread is about by losing colour and resolution.

Personally I can't see how the image could possibly look better that way, but if you're happy, great.

televator

iirc, GC D-Terminal cables came in a box in japan. USA GC Component Cables came in just a transparent bag (i still remember when i got mine in 2002)

The comp cables were sold in box in the US too. I never saw them in bags... Oddly enough the box still had Japanese text all over it. It's possible some retailers took them out so that it would avoid some sort of confusion about functionality with US systems.

Madao

They were sold in box in the US too. I never saw them in bags... Oddly enough the box still had Japanese text all over it. It's possible some retailers took them out so that it would avoid some sort of confusion about functionality with US systems.

mine was ordered directly from Nintendo's online shop along some other cables (yep, i'm in the 0.1% that actually got them that way).

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
When was the last time retro_console_accessories had a PS2 scart cable?

Been watching her page for months and have yet to see it :(

So, can anyone tell me whether Wii games look better on Wii via component or on Wii U via HDMI? I would naturally expect the latter, but given how well Wii has treated GameCube games, I would not be surprised if it got worse. I looked for comparison screenshots, but did not find anything.

Madao

So, can anyone tell me whether Wii games look better on Wii via component or on Wii U via HDMI? I would naturally expect the latter, but given how well Wii has treated GameCube games, I would not be surprised if it got worse. I looked for comparison screenshots, but did not find anything.

there's comparison shots in this very thread a few pages back...

As a new Framemeister owner, I will be getting all my retro consoles through it via RGB. Do you guys run more modern stuff through it too (HDMI in)?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook up my modern stuff now too. Is there a really good HDMI switcher? Or a switcher that accepts both HDMI and component (for my ps2 and gamecube)?

there's comparison shots in this very thread a few pages back...

tbh, you probably have one of the best in-game comparisons on the net right now. There was one (i believe on shmups) that compared wii and gc component outputs with a testing program, but outside of that I couldn't find any good comparisons when I was looking.

D.Lo

Looks much better.

Wii didn't treat Gamecube games badly, it just had overall worse component. It only treated Gamecube games as badly as it treated Wii games. And still not that bad, like 8/10 compared to GCN 10/10 (based on my experience for comparison: PS2 7/10 and Xbox 6/10).

televator

Wii U, no contest. Pure digital video and the scaling seems to be better than the XRGB.

Wii was a step back from the GC overall.

Giever

Does anyone know a good place to get this cable from someone other than retrogamingcables? I have a Sony PVM2530 so I think I need to input to the CMPTR 25 D-Sub input, or whatever I should call it, but I suspect that the cable I got from retrogamingcables awhile ago is the cause of some significant audio buzzing I'm experiencing.

When was the last time retro_console_accessories had a PS2 scart cable?

Been watching her page for months and have yet to see it :(

Message her about it. She may be too busy and not reply, but that's like the worst that can happen. I know I got one from her probably under a year ago. Well a PS cable, but it works on both I think.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Message her about it. She may be too busy and not reply, but that's like the worst that can happen. I know I got one from her probably under a year ago. Well a PS cable, but it works on both I think.

I did just now :). Maybe some other people here could message her too, let her see theres some demand for it lol

Narroo

You're probably going to get a lot more lag than HDMI though.

As a general rule using anything below 480p in analog on an HDTV will get you significant lag.

Thankfully, I'm playing a turnbased RPG!

Actually, I haven't noticed any lag. Perhaps it's because of a combination of gamemode plus the fact my TV is made to use component as an HD source as a selling point?

If you use a Playstation scart cable on the PS2 for a 480p game into the Framemeister will it still come across as 480p or 480i?

if you feed the XRGB FM a 480p signal via scart, it will be RGsB, and the framemeister won't recognize it. I believe there are ways around this, but I don't know enough to tell you what they are. I don't know of any PS2 games that can't output in 480i, though.

Someone should definitely correct me if I got this wrong, but I believe this is accurate.

**Forgot to add this is only for the PS2 afaik

Framemesiter isn't built for 480p, it works okay, but will only be an improvement over your TV's native scaler if your TV is seriously terrible. My TV does a better job than the XRGB.
Good to know! Re-reading Junkers and reddit shows I should have realised this. I'll make sure to compare the Framemeister to my Bravia's upscaler before deciding.

Cables usually just come in a plastic bag in the box.

Thanks! Super glad to hear that about the cables, they w're in perfect condition but I'd never received a nintendo product without any warning paperwork.

Huggers

Hi, guys. Very new to all of this and looking for some insight.
I recently picked up a PVM 20M4U and a Gen 1 Genesis. I don't have any A/V cables yet at all. Can someone please point me in the direction of what cable to get first?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/retro_console_accessories/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

You're going to need a breakout cable. To go from BNC to Scart. Something like this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-...296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c97635070

And you'll obvisouly need a true RGB cable for the Mega Drive. Something like this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesi...221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259eabdca5

Bog

Junior Ace
My $100 in new cables came in (I basically bought one of everything to try and troubleshoot this), including...

1. Micomsoft XRGB Mini powered sync stripper adaptor for SCART to XRGB Mini 8 pin

2. Sega Genesis 1 Megadrive 1 stereo RGB SCART with boosted sync TV lead

3. Sega Genesis 1 Master System 1 boosted CSYNC Megadrive RGB SCART cable

and I'm still getting similar white lines to the ones seen in the video below, though they don't seem quite as bad with the boosted sync TV lead cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1caeo_vQHQ

At this point do I just need to buy a new XRGB FM? Or is there some setting I'm missing?

Bancho

Going to pick up a PVM-20m4e Tomorrow. Interested to see how 800 lines look. I had a m2e which looked good but had bad geometry and i'm very interested to compare it against my 750 line JVC.

No doubt i'll get some pictures up when i have it all set up.

PVMs typically have RGB out. It's helpful for dual setups for fighting games or if you want to have one dedicated tate monitor and one regular. I don't see why you couldn't use the RGB for recording or streaming instead if you want.

PVMs typically have RGB out. It's helpful for dual setups for fighting games or if you want to have one dedicated tate monitor and one regular. I don't see why you couldn't use the RGB for recording or streaming instead if you want.
Have to have the appropriate input on your recording device though, which may be an issue.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I actually got a response from retro_console_accesories about the Playstation scart cables and well...

...Anyway the playstation cables are out of stock. The supplier of the premade plugs went out of business and I've been trying to find a new supplier for some time. I don't have an ETA on that in the foreseeable future. Very sorry about that.

:(

Peltz

Going to pick up a PVM-20m4e Tomorrow. Interested to see how 800 lines look. I had a m2e which looked good but had bad geometry and i'm very interested to compare it against my 750 line JVC.

Nice. Please be sure to post pics!

Huggers

So I actually got a response from retro_console_accesories about the Playstation scart cables and well...

:(

I found an RGB scart cable for Playstation on Ebay the other week. Picture is awesome from it

Awesome Bancho. My screen is 800 lines. Crazy good image from it

Bancho

Well guys i picked up the 20m4e today. Really pleased with it. Cost me £35 which i'm happy with. Its the most i have spent on a display (yes i like to do things on the cheap!)

Scanlines are really nice and thick. Ever so slightly thicker than the JVC but not much given the JVC is 750 lines and the m4e is 800. The JVC stomps the Sony for geometry. One thing i hate about PVM's is the tweaking you need to do in the service menu. I've only spent a small time with the 4e but i need to put some time to getting the geo tweaked more. In comparison the JVC took me 5 mins to set up, center and re-size the screen and done. I think i slightly prefer the colours on the JVC, but to be fair i haven't given the Sony any time. I prefer the screen glass on the Sony as it's only a horizontal curve unlike the JVC which has Hori/Vert curving of the glass.

Overall i'm pleased with my Screens now. 3 Screens 14" PVM 14m2e. 20" PVM 20m4e and my JVC 20". All three screens cost me a total sum of £46! Bargain!

I'll get a lot more shots of the 20m4e when i can get time.

Comparison Shot. SMB3 RGBFamicom

Sony

IMG_6014.jpg

JVC

IMG_5970.jpg

Huggers

May as well post a pic of what I'm playing tonight. Hard to get a decent pic without flickering lines. On a Mega Man ting as well

D0QlAAg.jpg

and a little Comix Zone

VVSDzhe.jpg

King Al B

First image post hope I did this right.

This is what I have and using currently. 36 inch Panasonic CRT. Its wicked heavy, but i got it for free, so cant complain about that.

8QZZfQi.jpg

HARgoQr.jpg

JsnwHHo.jpg

warning cell phone pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom