• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

^not bad! i'd say you need alien vs predator, then take some acid & play cybermorph like halverson in the day. i like it though, post your rotary controller thing when you put that together!

baphomet

That is a nifty Jag pick-up.

I've wanted one for a few years specifically for Tempest and Raiden.

Get that Raiden Bapho!

Actually watching an auction that ends tomorrow for it. That picture of a bomb dropping in raiden and that skeleton dog thing in Trevor mcfur are the 2 pictures that are burned in my brain from all those jaguar ads back in the day

Ban Puncher

Updated the firmware on my Framemeister using the instructions in Yakumo's video which made it dead easy. Resets everything back to stock though so had to play around to get the settings back where I was happy with them.

Different profiles for systems would be a handy feature so you didn't have to play with sync levels and the like every time you plugged in a different console.

IrishNinja

^i was just thinking, system profiles would be huge for the next firmware (or more likely hardware revision), though honestly since the wiki has so few specific settings, the one thing i tend to change is GC (component) or DC (VGA) go over Picture mode, with Natural on for all other sources. past that it's just scanline settings for me, i gotta experiment more with this thing but i tend to wanna pick-up-and-play most times.

Yes Boss!

So, I'm a little confused as to what RGB cable to buy for my Japanese Super Fami.

Setup is NTSC Japan Super Fami, SCART. I seem to only be finding NTSC-Snes cables.

Rich!

So, I'm a little confused as to what RGB cable to buy for my Japanese Super Fami.

Setup is NTSC Japan Super Fami, SCART. I seem to only be finding NTSC-Snes cables.

thats what you want. A PAL Gamecube SCART works too (that's what I use on my SFC).

just dont get a PAL SNES SCART

baphomet

Yea, as long as you're using scart and not jp21 pin, you want an NTSC SNES scart cable.

Ramune

Cross posting from the Saturn thread. Just a comparison I did between S-Video vs. RGB on the Saturn thread from a request between the two outputs on the NES thread. Pics taken on a PVM....on a crappy Android phone (still decent though, I promise! ^_^; )

S-Video(LEFT) vs. RGB (RIGHT)

Sonic Jam:
DSC_0054.PNG
DSC_0055.PNG

Rockman 8:

Keio Flying Squadron 2:

As you can see S-Video does an admirable job picture wise. But the colors are a bit darker as they are chroma based, where as RGB gives true color separation so the colors are richer and better defined. So you can't go wrong either way, as long as you stay far away from RF and composite! But it has to be said, RGB does give the best possible picture.

Peagles

This is pure art, man. As stated before.

It should be in some weird art gallery installation!

Cross-posting with the Retro-GAF thread because these are now ALL RGB ALL THE TIME! Except the Dreamcast, I think there's something wrong with the cable for that one, it's all outta sync and weird. Working on it though!

I'm just testing my SNES now (actually a Super Famicom inside a US case, so I can play all carts and easily power it), to see if I can see this weird vertical bar issue. Can't see anything so far... *touches wood*

antibolo

Banned
This is pure art, man. As stated before.

The first time I saw that gif I assumed that was how the Mother 2 title screen was supposed to look like. Having only seen Earthbound I assumed it transitioned from the "Gygas attacks!" screen that precedes the title screen, which is made to look like a badly mangled TV reception when it fades in.

I've got the PVM 20l5. It supports RGB and Component, but only has one input. Is there an easy way to have my Component and RGB stuff hooked up at the same time? (at that point I'd just need to switch from RGB to component in the menu)

antibolo

Banned
I've got the PVM 20l5. It supports RGB and Component, but only has one input. Is there an easy way to have my Component and RGB stuff hooked up at the same time? (at that point I'd just need to switch from RGB to component in the menu)

A scart to rca cable would allow you to either plug scart stuff into a composite+component switch, or plug component stuff into a scart switch.

A scart to rca cable would allow you to either plug scart stuff into a composite+component switch, or plug component stuff into a scart switch.
I'll already have an excessive amount of scart going into my two scart switches, for the latter suggestion. I was hoping for something that would split the BNC off into two separate inputs somehow. I could always pony up for a module to pop into the TV to get a second component input I guess.

baphomet

I'll already have an excessive amount of scart going into my two scart switches, for the latter suggestion. I was hoping for something that would split the BNC off into two separate inputs somehow. I could always pony up for a module to pop into the TV to get a second component input I guess.

You can't have component and rgb plugged in with y cables at the same time. It looses a lot of quality on the rgb side. You could possibly run the component and BNC (with BNC to rca) connectors into a component switch, and then the output of that be (rca to BNC) connectors into the back of the pvm. Just rubbing the sync directly into it bypassing the switch. That may work and the switch would only change from component to rgb. When rgb is selected your rgb switch would still change the rgb inputs.

You can't have component and rgb plugged in with y cables at the same time. It looses a lot of quality on the rgb side. You could possibly run the component and BNC (with BNC to rca) connectors into a component switch, and then the output of that be (rca to BNC) connectors into the back of the pvm. Just rubbing the sync directly into it bypassing the switch. That may work and the switch would only change from component to rgb. When rgb is selected your rgb switch would still change the rgb inputs.
That's awesome! It's worth trying.

My PVM suffered internal damage from the Fedex trip from CA to AZ and I had to send it back this morning :(. The seller has the module that'd add another input. He's asking 75 which is too much for the precious seconds of effort I want to save, but I might ask if he'd pop it in and take a $40 Paypal gift. I could live with that.

Peagles

So... despite being pretty happy with my SNS-RGB-CPU-01 picture on my Super Famicom, I had the chance to get another SFC from Japan. On another (local) forum I use, someone responded to my BST post there with an offer to buy me one and send it over (obviously a Kiwi living in Japan). I let them know about the 1CHIP model and BAM! They just went out today and got me one! It's a SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02.

Hopefully it won't cost too much to send it over!

So... despite being pretty happy with my SNS-RGB-CPU-01 picture on my Super Famicom, I had the chance to get another SFC from Japan. On another (local) forum I use, someone responded to my BST post there with an offer to buy me one and send it over (obviously a Kiwi living in Japan). I let them know about the 1CHIP model and BAM! They just went out today and got me one! It's a SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02.

Hopefully it won't cost too much to send it over!

Sounds pretty sweet!

baphomet

Not exactly rgb, but I just picked up a 2600, an svideo board, and a harmony flash cart. Kind curious to see how it will look through the XRGB mini.

Rich!

Got an RGB modded SNES Mini on the way to me courtesy of a GAF member!

Can't wait to get it. Whilst my SFC does the job, the image sure isn't as good as it could be.

It'll be a few months until I post some pictures, but I've managed to get my ps2 and dreamcast running through rgb to my 15khz arcade monitor and they look fantastic.

The ps2 uses a custom vga cable with the sync stripper and plugs into a JPAC to amplify it. I just switch the vga box and make some monitor adjustments to go back and forth between mame and the ps2. Tekken 5 looks amazing.

The dreamcast uses a vga box with controls through jamma. I don't know if its true rgb but it sure looks fantastic. Marvel looks so much better than on the HD TV.

They set up on my smaller 19" right now, but I'll be moving them to a 29" blast city and a 29" new net city. The NNC has an amazing flat tube screen.

Like I said I'll take pictures eventually.

Got an RGB modded SNES Mini on the way to me courtesy of a GAF member!

Can't wait to get it. Whilst my SFC does the job, the image sure isn't as good as it could be.

Does the RGB modded SNES Mini eliminate the weird vertical line display issue that plagues most SNESes? I have one in my closet, but I never used it beyond testing it the day I bought it.

Joqu

Speaking of RGB modded SNES Minis, does anyone here know if it's possible to do that fancy switch-less region mod on one of those? I figured the size might cause some issues.

Speaking of RGB modded SNES Minis, does anyone here know if it's possible to do that fancy switch-less region mod on one of those? I figured the size might cause some issues.

The shell feels totally light and hollow thanks to the smaller components. There seems like a ton of space to accommodate a switchless mod. Some cursory googling suggests it's possible to do so.

Peagles

Does the RGB modded SNES Mini eliminate the weird vertical line display issue that plagues most SNESes? I have one in my closet, but I never used it beyond testing it the day I bought it.

I've done a bit of reading about that line (it's absent on my SNS-RGB-01) and it seems there's a fix to reduce it on 1chip models where you add a couple of capacitors or something. This includes the mini so my guess it it can affect the mini too (though not as bad as older systems it seems).

IrishNinja

Not exactly rgb, but I just picked up a 2600, an svideo board, and a harmony flash cart. Kind curious to see how it will look through the XRGB mini.

i picked one up a while back & have been meaning to try this myself, but i need some cables - lemme know how it turns out, haha

mothball

I got a PVM off eBay (now realizing what a bad idea that was) and games look great on it... except that a third or so of the screen has messed up colors.

When the screen is white, there's a black area that marks where the discoloration begins on non-white screens.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I thought it might be a cable issue at first, but that doesn't make sense, since the rest of the screen is fine. Even though it had a ton of packing, the box was pretty beat up, so it's possible it might have been damaged during shipping. I hope I don't have to toss it, because there are no local sources of PVMs to my knowledge.

Dwayne

That's really easy to fix, you need a degauss wand off eBay. Alternatively if you can get into the service menu there will probably be a degauss button. There might even be one on the front panel itself.

mothball

Yeah, there's a degauss button on the front panel, but I've tried that several times now and it's still messed up. I even degaussed it on its sides and upside down (I read that worked for some people) with no difference.

It was only in aging mode long enough to snap that picture.

baphomet

Yeah, there's a degauss button on the front panel, but I've tried that several times now and it's still messed up. I even degaussed it on its sides and upside down (I read that worked for some people) with no difference.

It was only in aging mode long enough to snap that picture.

Unfortunately it's probably fucked if degaussing didn't fix it. Can you tell if it's actually trying to degauss when you press the button? If it's not maybe try and find someone with a degaussing gun to use.

mothball

It definitely does try to degauss. I read that the coils in these are apparently pretty weak (and it definitely doesn't seem as intense as I remember my old CRT monitor's degaussing was), so I guess I'll try a degaussing wand and hope for the best. No other magnets around.

HaL64

It definitely does try to degauss. I read that the coils in these are apparently pretty weak (and it definitely doesn't seem as intense as I remember my old CRT monitor's degaussing was), so I guess I'll try a degaussing wand and hope for the best. No other magnets around.

Yeah this happens when you ship a PVM, or an arcade monitor. A lot of static gets picked up. You need the degaussing wand, which really does do the trick. You might be able to borrow one from anyone who does repairs on TVs or Arcades.
This happens when I rotate my PVM as well for vertical shooters. When I put it horizontal again, it takes a little while to come back to normal.

Xtyle

So I got someone from shoot me up forum do RGB mod + amp on my duo and I tested it tonight on the Meister. The display has a blur towards the right. For example, I can see all letters has a blur on the right. This is using a custom made Turbo duo Rgb cable from retrogaming and their Euro scart adapter. Using Euro RGB scart adapter (with booster built in) from retro console accessories outputs a worse image with way distorted colors and other darks spots on screen.

Is this a cable problem? I am not sure if it is the adapter or the turbo duo RGB cable's issue. Or maybe the RGB mod job has issues... Will contact modder for this one.

Edit: the blur is more like color shift. Like all the colors are slightly dragged towards right (like if you smudge them).
I will try take photos tomorrow.

baphomet

Cables with built in sync strippers cause all kinds of problems on XRGB minis that are on newer firmware. Older firmware it was needed for some consoles, but anymore they just cause issues. If possible can you get a picture? It almost sounds like the cable isn't grounded correctly.

Xtyle

Cables with built in sync strippers cause all kinds of problems on XRGB minis that are on newer firmware. Older firmware it was needed for some consoles, but anymore they just cause issues. If possible can you get a picture? It almost sounds like the cable isn't grounded correctly.

I can't get a picture right now but I will daytime. The DUO RGB cable and the Europ scart adapter from retrogaming cables do not have the stripper. At least I did not order the stripper version.

baphomet

I can't get a picture right now but I will daytime. The DUO RGB cable and the Europ scart adapter from retrogaming cables do not have the stripper. At least I did not order the stripper version.

That's what a sync booster is. It's takes composite video and strips c-sync from it. Its better in most cases to just use whatever the system provides normally.

Xtyle

I have sync strike. Does it help for something like this? The image I am getting is very blurred without scanline on.

Xtyle

Here are 2 pictures I took with my phone. You can see there is sort of an after image to the right of the text. it's like the color is shifted to the right a little. I tested Saturn with the same Euro Scart adapter and it looks pixel perfect. So this basically comes down to the mod on the duo itself or the RGB cable...I am not sure how I can figure which of these is the culprit. Any ideas? Could this still be a grounding issue or loose wire/connector? The outer layer of the connector is made of 2 pieces of metal that is not attached together (instead of being 1 rounded piece I normally see), is this of concern?

duo1.jpg

duo2.jpg

duo3.jpg

baphomet

Well your biggest concern is that the wiring on that cable doesn't match the wiring done on the mod. Unless its just the pictures playing tricks, but the "super" should be an almost pastel blue color. Definitely not green.

Did the person who did the mod not send a cable? He's going to have to tell you what the pin out is, and then you'll have to check with where you bought the cable.

Edit: Unless by chance a us duo has green writing.

Xtyle

This is the pinout from Duo
duo4.jpg

The exact diagram was sent to retrogaming cables to make the custom RGB cable.

I checked the RGB SCART plug and I am not sure it is exactly set correctly because some wiring doesn't match what I see on other Euro Scart plug wiring. But it may just me not understanding it. I can post pics of that later.

edit: the picture is accurate so yes now I see the green color is an issue.

baphomet

Well it's definitely a cable issue. Aside from the blue and green pins being swapped, im pretty positive the blurring issue is a ground problem.

Xtyle

hmm, I hope the grounding issue is isolated to the cable and not the system.
I am going to open up the RGB SCART again to check the wiring

Here are pics of the SCART plug

This is how the wires are connected to the SCART plug
scart1.jpg

scart2.jpg

This is how these wires are connected to the RGB din on the SCART (pics is of the Duo but it shows how the wires are connected to it)
duo5.jpg

Also, there is a small device connecting to pin 8 and 16 on the SCART plug (solder side) what could this be? the 5V is also connected to pin 8

I am seeing R,G,B grounds are misising, do these need to be grounded? How do I do so?

Rich!

potentially silly question

Can the framemeister take screenshots? I can't say I have seen the option on mine, but I'm sure I read it somewhere...

Joqu

The shell feels totally light and hollow thanks to the smaller components. There seems like a ton of space to accommodate a switchless mod. Some cursory googling suggests it's possible to do so.

Huh

Well thanks for clearing that up. I don't have a SNES Mini yet you see. I contacted a (sort of) local modder about it who seemed to be a decent enough guy and he told me he had no idea how it would possibly be doable I guess I still haven't found a good one then. :/

Got my douijindance Duo-R on Friday and ordered scart to BNC breakout cables from retrogamingcables.com today. Also ordered a snes NTSC scart cable from them. Everything is going to get hooked up to my Sony PVM. Can't wait to see how these two systems look in pure RGB.

Rich!

hahaha oh man

Remember I was having issues with my PS1 before? Tried numerous cables with my framemeister, and none worked? I just gave each one a go again, and ONE OF THEM WORKS OH MY GOD WHAT

Either way, that's good. SOTN looks amazing. The only issue I have is that scanlines are fucked on the PS1 - they display fine on my SNES, Mega Drive and N64, but on the PS1 I get these horizontal bars (it's faint in the photo, sorry) which appear on the screen three times:

If you can't see it, it's a darker horizontal scanline, looks like two of them bunched up.

Uh, what is it? The image is absolutely fine otherwise, and looks great without scanlines. And yes, my xrgb is set to 720p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom