• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baphomet, can you elaborate on why the rgb mod for the 3do is so dissapointing because from the pics you posted it looks really nice colour wise, is it because its still a 480i image?

I really hate the video quality using s video from the 3do, and to be honest its bothered me ever since I got one in 1994, having become acustomed to the rgb goodness of an ntsc snes a few years prior.

Was really hoping the 3do rgb mod would end my several decade old dilemma once and for all.

hahaha oh man

Remember I was having issues with my PS1 before? Tried numerous cables with my framemeister, and none worked? I just gave each one a go again, and ONE OF THEM WORKS OH MY GOD WHAT

Either way, that's good. SOTN looks amazing. The only issue I have is that scanlines are fucked on the PS1 - they display fine on my SNES, Mega Drive and N64, but on the PS1 I get these horizontal bars (it's faint in the photo, sorry) which appear on the screen three times:

If you can't see it, it's a darker horizontal scanline, looks like two of them bunched up.

Uh, what is it? The image is absolutely fine otherwise, and looks great without scanlines. And yes, my xrgb is set to 720p.

Coach Kevin was having the same issue with his Neo Geo MVS over RGB. I believe he fixed it by changing the scanline scaling value by one unit up or down.

Rich!

Coach Kevin was having the same issue with his Neo Geo MVS over RGB. I believe he fixed it by changing the scanline scaling value by one unit up or down.

haha, just came back to say how I fixed it...and yep, that was it. LOOKS SO GOOD:

dsc_0236ogjqv.png

only negative things:

1. my almost complete save file was wiped a few months back
2. I can't play the fucking thing anyway as I have a broken wrist

and for comparison to the above, here's the same shot taken on my old CRT:

baphomet

Baphomet, can you elaborate on why the rgb mod for the 3do is so dissapointing because from the pics you posted it looks really nice colour wise, is it because its still a 480i image?

I really hate the video quality using s video from the 3do, and to be honest its bothered me ever since I got one in 1994, having become acustomed to the rgb goodness of an ntsc snes a few years prior.

Was really hoping the 3do rgb mod would end my several decade old dilemma once and for all.

Yea 480i is part of the issue. The image quality just isn't that great overall. It's better than s-video, but s-video isn't all that great to begin with.

Here's some comparisons running through an xrgb mini. Settings are the same between both shots. Top is RGB below is s-video.

So, after doing a bit more research, I decided to go with this SCART to HDMI converter for my LCD, unless someone here tells me otherwise. I considered this SCART to Component converter, but I don't think my LCD supports 240p over component. The reviews on the SCART-HDMI box look good and this video review from earlier in the thread seems pretty positive. I'm right around the $100 mark on my Genesis, SCART cable and the box, which is what I would have spent on the Retron 5. Another $20 or so gets me a SCART cable for my SNES which isn't too bad. Thoughts?

What setting did you change Rich?

I noticed my non one chip snes looked a bit better moving the horizontal sync setting to 11 ish on the xrgb.

Cheers for the pics Baphomet, rgb definetly looks better to my eyes, s-video really struggles with crisp reds in particular.

Did you buy the mod off of ebay and did it come with instructions?

Just picked this bad boy up for £10. 21" Sony Trinitron.

Picture is glorious through RGB

That looks nice, compact and boxy, looks just like an old crt I used to have except mine was widescreen, had to pay John Lewis £9 to take it from me lol

Rich!

What setting did you change Rich?

I noticed my non one chip snes looked a bit better moving the horizontal sync setting to 11 ish on the xrgb.

It's the setting on the visual menu called SCAN_A. It's a fucking pain in the arse because my SNES, N64, Gamecube and Mega Drive all look fine with the SCAN_A set to 32, whereas the PS1 has fucked scanlines unless it's set to 33 for reasons beyond me. And the XRGB Mini doesn't have profiles, so I have to change the setting each time I switch between the PS1 and other consoles

ah well. Just tried Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the PS1 and it looks fucking fantastic:

So yeah, PS1 has by far the best image out of all of my retro consoles. I shouldn't be surprised, really.

baphomet

Cheers for the pics Baphomet, rgb definetly looks better to my eyes, s-video really struggles with crisp reds in particular.

Did you buy the mod off of ebay and did it come with instructions?

I got the chip on ebay , but otaku store also has a website. That's where the install instructions are. Its actually a fairly in depth mod. Its probably close to a 30 wire install, and the vast majority of the points are very small vias.

I already have cables and stuff to use so I didn't both getting the stuff from them. Just the actual chip.

I got the chip on ebay , but otaku store also has a website. That's where the install instructions are. Its actually a fairly in depth mod. Its probably close to a 30 wire install, and the vast majority of the points are very small vias.

I already have cables and stuff to use so I didn't both getting the stuff from them. Just the actual chip.

Which system did you mod yourself, the 3DO? Only reason I would get one is for super turbo...

baphomet

Which system did you mod yourself, the 3DO? Only reason I would get one is for super turbo...

I have basically everything in rgb possible. Including the shitty systems. Only one I didn't do myself was my doujindance duo r, and only because it was cheaper that way.

baphomet

cross posting from the Gameboy thread, but I now have an RGB Gameboy Advance and it puts the Gameboy player to shame. Still have to mess with the resistance on the colors tomorrow because they're a bit bright currently, but after that I will be very pleased with the picture quality.

Here's some pics of it running through my xrgb mini.

Definitely cool, but the aspect ratio is fucked up. Is there any way to force 2:3?

Hell even stretching to 16:9 would be closer to GBA aspect ratio that 3:4.

baphomet

Definitely cool, but the aspect ratio is fucked up. Is there any way to force 2:3?

Hell even stretching to 16:9 would be closer to GBA aspect ratio that 3:4.

I actually didn't even realize how off it was until you mentioned it. I'm sure it can be done via the XRGB, but unfortunately the device outputting the picture forces this ratio. Funny this is this is supposed to be the "correct" mode. If I full screen it on the thing it stretches vertically even more.

Peagles

cross posting from the Gameboy thread, but I now have an RGB Gameboy Advance and it puts the Gameboy player to shame. Still have to mess with the resistance on the colors tomorrow because they're a bit bright currently, but after that I will be very pleased with the picture quality.

Is that the innovation mod? Looks gorgeous! Not 240p though eh?

In case anyone is wondering, Krizz tweeted he's going to start selling the GB/GBC Everdrive in a few days. I'm definitely in for one-- ordered a rather cheap Super Game Boy 2 off of Amazon a while back and have my trusty late model backlit GBA SP ready to go. I hope he tackles a GBA flash cart next.

Social

Oh yeah, the Everdrive. I have an N64 Everdrive lying around! Should anyone here want to buy it, PM me an offer (europe).

Based retro people.

I bought an RGB - Scart cable for my snes. When I hook it up, everything looks fine, then it suddenly darkens to almost pitch black.

Its the Snes for sure, I've tried to clean the socket etc. Composite cable works fine.

I've tried the cable with the gamecube and its perfect.

What do?

Edit: This is the issue

antibolo

Banned
Is the 3DO even worth bothering with? I know it has a better library than the CDI but that's not saying much.

The only genuinely good games on that system appear to be all ports of games that have better versions elsewhere.

Peagles

Based retro people.

I bought an RGB - Scart cable for my snes. When I hook it up, everything looks fine, then it suddenly darkens to almost pitch black.

Its the Snes for sure, I've tried to clean the socket etc. Composite cable works fine.

I've tried the cable with the gamecube and its perfect.

What do?

Edit: This is the issue

You need a PAL cable for a PAL SNES. If you plan to use it with your GC as well, probly best to get another cable designed for your SNES and reserve that one for your GC.

Or you could take out the capacitors.

Madao

that looks interesting.

is that with the GBATV that was made before the GBPlayer came out? i have one of those around but don't use it because the GBPlayer worked better for me.

mothball

Well, my $70 degaussing coil got here today... and it does pretty much nothing.

Fortunately, these bar magnets I got for $12 at Radio Shack are much more effective. The first time I tried them, it took an hour of waving around the magnets like crazy in all sorts of directions to get the monitor to a mostly decent state. It also resets to the messed up state whenever I turn it off and on again. I think I'm starting to permanently affect it, though, because with each successive round it's gotten easier to fix and the messed up area has gotten smaller and smaller. Now it's mostly relegated to the top and bottom left corners, and it usually only takes a minute to do a few quick swipes to fix it, though sometimes it's uncooperative and can take up to 20 minutes.

Even in the best state I can get it in, there are a few tiny spots of discoloration left in the corners and on the center left side, and there are some splotches of darkness on the rest of the screen (mostly visible on white screens), so that sucks, but I'll just have to deal with it because there are no local PVMs to buy. Other than that, though, it does look incredible. I had forgotten how good CRTs are at handling motion.

Well, my $70 degaussing coil got here today... and it does pretty much nothing.

Fortunately, these bar magnets I got for $12 at Radio Shack are much more effective. The first time I tried them, it took an hour of waving around the magnets like crazy in all sorts of directions to get the monitor to a mostly decent state. It also resets to the messed up state whenever I turn it off and on again. I think I'm starting to permanently affect it, though, because with each successive round it's gotten easier to fix and the messed up area has gotten smaller and smaller. Now it's mostly relegated to the top and bottom left corners, and it usually only takes a minute to do a few quick swipes to fix it, though sometimes it's uncooperative and can take up to 20 minutes.

Even in the best state I can get it in, there are a few tiny spots of discoloration left in the corners and on the center left side, and there are some splotches of darkness on the rest of the screen (mostly visible on white screens), so that sucks, but I'll just have to deal with it because there are no local PVMs to buy. Other than that, though, it does look incredible. I had forgotten how good CRTs are at handling motion.

I'm glad you're getting things resolved decently, but you have me terrified now. My PVM is enroute through FedEx.

baphomet

that looks interesting.

is that with the GBATV that was made before the GBPlayer came out? i have one of those around but don't use it because the GBPlayer worked better for me.

That's the one. I soldered all the pins directly instead of using the press on clip for a better connection. It was like 20 wires on that little ribbon cable so it was kinda tough. Turned out pretty decent though.

You need a PAL cable for a PAL SNES. If you plan to use it with your GC as well, probly best to get another cable designed for your SNES and reserve that one for your GC.

Or you could take out the capacitors.

Forgive me, I am an ignorant noob worshipping at the altar of the based retro gods.

I didn't realise I needed a PAL one, I just bought it from ebay hoping it to work. At least I have something for the gamecube then.

I'm ordering one from consolegoods.co.uk. I hope it's the right one.

mikeBlack

Neo Member
Finally ordered myself a Framemeister today from Solaris Japan. Have wanted one for awhile now, but couldn't afford it as a student. *excited*

I finally grabbed myself a Genesis, SCART-HDMI converter and a cable. Man, after playing around with emulators for so, playing on the actual hardware felt like coming home again. I don't know if it's the d-pad compared to the 360 pad or the relative responsiveness, but everything just feels better. That could all just be in my head though.

entremet

Looking back I always wondered, even as a kid why arcade displays were so crisp compared to TVs. We had Trinitrons growing up, which were amazing, but my critical eye thought they weren't as good as arcade monitors.

It was only recently that it was because arcade monitors have RGB connections.

Kinda salty that the MPAA helped banned RGB connections for US display in hindsight. The difference is crazy.

Rich!

Looking back I always wondered, even as a kid why arcade displays were so crisp compared to TVs. We had Trinitrons growing up, which were amazing, but my critical eye thought they weren't as good as arcade monitors.

It was only recently that it was because arcade monitors have RGB connections.

Kinda salty that the MPAA helped banned RGB connections for US display in hindsight. The difference is crazy.

I've always felt bad for you guys in the USA. RGB has been a default standard on our TV sets since the early 90s. As I've said before, my SNES, and later the PS1, back in the early 90s was hooked up via RGB.

Obviously we had the whole 50hz issue though.

antibolo

Banned
I've always felt bad for you guys in the USA. RGB has been a default standard on our TV sets since the early 90s. As I've said before, my SNES, and later the PS1, back in the early 90s was hooked up via RGB.

Obviously we had the whole 50hz issue though.

The various 50Hz problems were worse than not having RGB, in my humble opinion.

Our consoles had a blurrier picture but at least they were 100% authentic as to how they were supposed to run.

Rich!

The various 50Hz problems were worse than not having RGB, in my humble opinion.

Our consoles had a blurrier picture but at least they were 100% authentic as to how they were supposed to run.

of course

However, if you were in Europe and you imported your consoles, you not only had a better experience than anyone in the USA (apart from price, lol), but with the added bonus of making all your mates jealous as hell

Kalnos

Banned
So... what cable/converter (RGB) do I need for my NTSC SNES? I'm a little confused by the eBay store listings in the OP.

So... what cable/converter (RGB) do I need for my NTSC SNES? I'm a little confused by the eBay store listings in the OP.

Visit retrogamingcables.com.

You will need the NTSC scart cable. If you have a framemesiter, you're good. If you're a PVM guy like me, you'll need a female scart to BNC breakout cable.

baphomet

If you're using scart cables an XRGB would also need a scart to jp21 pin converter as well. Or just a scart to XRGB cable.

Unfortunately they appears to have been a problem with my BNC--RGB breakout cable, but I tried out my SNES in S-Video on the PVM 20l5 and holy shit. It's so amazing and wonderful, and everything I thought it'd be. It almost resembles an emulator shot except with the benefit of running hardware.

antibolo

Banned
Unfortunately they appears to have been a problem with my BNC--RGB breakout cable, but I tried out my SNES in S-Video on the PVM 20l5 and holy shit. It's so amazing and wonderful, and everything I thought it'd be. It almost resembles an emulator shot except with the benefit of running hardware.

Welcome to PVM gaming.

Great video, watched until the end.
There was one on ebay recently in Chicago, and I should have picked it up. I have to say it is the only other monitor I would want more than my PVM 2950Q. Mainly because it is a multisync monitor (both 480p and 240p/480i).

This was under related videos. The filmer captured the image quality of the display much better. Looks like an awesome monitor. Shame they're so scarce.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W5hyf5k5Qg

So my cousin is going to leave behind his PSone and Dreamcast to me... just wanted to ask, what's the best way to get them displayed on a LED PC monitor? Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm just new with the RGB stuff (didn't really matter to me before until quite recently)

Rich!

So my cousin is going to leave behind his PSone and Dreamcast to me... just wanted to ask, what's the best way to get them displayed on a LED PC monitor? Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm just new with the RGB stuff (didn't really matter to me before until quite recently)

For the dreamcast it's easy - get a VGA cable. They're dirt cheap, on UK amazon they're a bit pricier (£22) but on amazon.com they're about $20

For the PS1...well, you're gonna need an RGB cable set up and an upscaler like an XRGB. Looking at around £240 at least. You can get cheaper adapters, but I very much doubt they'd work with a PC monitor due to the 240p resolution.

Also, can anyone recommend some speakers? I figure I don't need to spend a ton to get a good 2.1 set for the era of gaming I'll be using them for. And I'm pretty stupid when it comes to audio stuff, but when I hook the speakers up, will the audio work for whatever input I'm using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom