• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US/CAN Club Nintendo Thread: New and improved. Read the OP.

zroid

Banned
Apparently, it wasn't overpriced when they bought it originally, as they, you know, bought it....

Problem in this case is most of the early adopters only bought it on the assumption that there wouldn't be a price drop in the near future, and they already knew there were games they wanted coming soon.

I was there day one and didn't even buy a game until Ocarina of Time 3D, 3 months later.

It sucked, but from my perspective 20 free games was a pretty solid return on investment. It's not like I expected anything more than I got.

75% of the reason I got it day one was to play Pokemon Black online, because my DS Lite couldn't connect to my home network

Thanks, would you say the quality is worth the $50 price point, if you are into collectibles of that nature, obviously?

If that includes shipping from japan i would say yes. Especially since it looks like we wont get it through Club Nintendo USA now. Lord knows i've spent more on less.. I paid $85 on those Hanafuda Cards when they first came out in japan, did not expect them to come out here.

I got him through a friend in japan for around $30(he found it at a toy trading shop).

Huh, the prizes are a bit underwhelming but whatevs, it's all free junk pretty much in exchange for being an Ambassador last year. I can't complain.

The cards look cool but I never play card games so I'll probably pick up the poster set to get Kid Icarus up on my wall.

Drago

Do we know the prizes for other regions yet?
For a new page

No more "useless" than the 2010 pvc or 2009 hat, to be fair.

Like those, they're meant to be display pieces, not worn.
I think I remember the site saying the Mario Hat could be worn. I use it for display though
most of the time

Also, I find it odd that Metroid 2 is the only game reward that hasn't been offered on the normal site before. Maybe it's coming soon?

zroid

Banned
I think I remember the site saying the Mario Hat could be worn. I use it for display though
most of the time

in theory, sure :p

I wonder if there's as much outrage in my SwapNote messages as there is here. Welp, time to find out.

SickBoy

I think the cards are pretty cool. I would've enjoyed them, but I'm not crestfallen that I didn't go out of my way for Platinum (I would've if I hadn't had a brain fart about the deadline).

Still, the moaning always kinda surprises me, the cards are probably better than last year's pins and there are more options this year, no? Buying them with coins would probably be in the 600-800 range (about the same range as a shirt). I don't think that's so bad.

iphys

I'm really curious about the "special printing effects" on the posters. What kind of special effects are possible on a poster? I've never ordered any of the CN posters before, but did any of those having special printing effects?

Drago

I'm really curious about the "special printing effects" on the posters. What kind of special effects are possible on a poster? I've never ordered any of the CN posters before, but did any of those having special printing effects?
I got Mario posters and those were plain old posters. Dont know about the other sets though

zroid

Banned

I'm not sure, but I think what they mean is the texture. The three Zelda Anniversary posters each had very different textures to them. One was glossy, one matte, one on thick paper with emblazonings.

Gintoki

I'm not sure, but I think what they mean is the texture. The three Zelda Anniversary posters each had very different textures to them. One was glossy, one matte, one on thick paper with emblazonings.

Yea, the quality of the posters amazed me.

iphys

Emblazonings? Was it embossed? Foil Stamped?

Risible

I don't follow any of the sales age threads as I know they are ban magnets, so I'm curious - does Nintendo make more money from Japan than from the U.S.?

randomkid

Heh, I was browsing through this funny thread and people actually think that goofy Link poster is less childish than those neat looking playing cards? You guys really gonna frame that thing and put it up in your homes? Different strokes!

Cards are a perfectly adequate bonus prize, I like em better than that dumb pillow. I had zero expectations though, this was my first Club Nintendo year ever and I only joined because I heard coin values would be decreasing. I registered 11 games I purchased for $260 over the course of five years, it took about fifteen minutes since I fill the surveys with gibberish. Pleasantly surprised to discover that I can spend coins on digital games, that's a great bonus. Free stuff, what's to be angry about? Japanese prizes from the last couple years don't seem that cool to me!

zroid

Banned
Emblazonings? Was it embossed? Foil Stamped?

it seems two of the posters had foil stamp logos, and one had a unique transparent glossy logo in the corner, which stood out from the matte finish.

I don't follow any of the sales age threads as I know they are ban magnets, so I'm curious - does Nintendo make more money from Japan than from the U.S.?

Heh, not usually, but over the last 12 months? It's quite likely. 3DS simply hasn't taken off anywhere other than Japan, while Wii is near-dead everywhere. (this is especially possible given the current exchange rate. Nintendo makes significantly more money off of each product sold in Japan than in North America)

donny2112

Prizes are up

2oJg3.png

lame.

Got more posters than I need. Don't want the calendars. Either already have or don't want to pick up the games.

Platinum card set it is, then! Guess they really did have a lot more Platinums this year than usual. :lol

Edit:
Oh, and good to see the reward complaining is in good swing. It's that time of year, after all! :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
imo, hat is the worst Platinum reward they've ever offered. :(

excepting the Punch-Out minigame, which is utterly worthless to me
Want to really impress someone? Walk out completely nude wearing nothing but the hat.

zroid

Banned
wat

The hat is like the ultimate gaming display piece.

Yeah, I just don't like it at all. I don't like the material, and it's too simplistic. The pvc and pin set were much more interesting, especially because of their presentation. The coin block box is a marvel and the arrangement of the pins in those rectangular boxes is very cool.

donny2112

As much as I'm disappointed by the rewards this year, I'm not mad about it.

Club Nintendo to me is just a bonus that comes along side games I was going to buy anyways. It's not like I go out of my way to buy stuff sole for CN points.

This. Very nicely put. :)

Slermy

I actually forgot to enter in my codes before the deadline, so this works out for me.

I don't think we'll get another good reward year until we have a year without a major hardware release. Next year is guaranteed to be lackluster as well with both the 3DS XL/LL and Wii U launch happening before the next deadline.

EYEL1NER

If we got the Mario pillow like Japan did, there would be another vocal minority spitting all over that as well. But some people here are clearly more passionate about this than I am, so I'm going to bow out at this point. Pointless to argue over the value of free stuff.
The pillow would have been complained about by people who already expressed that they did not want it, but I don't think these people thought it would have been a shitty gift. They just wanted something besides a Mario item.

RagnarokX

And you guys were complaining that the pillow was not good enough, lol.

Guess more people keep making platinum status because each year seems to be cheaper and worse than the last.

The pillow would have been lame, but it would have at least been better than this and the buttons.

This was the first year where I was a member, and I did get to platinum, but it was only because I had a LOT of games saved up from over the years and I hadn't known about the club until a friend mentioned it to me last year. I can't even imagine myself getting platinum any other year, since I'm not made of cash and there has been a rather obvious dearth of variety in their games lately (because of their weird aversion to 3rd party software), but that won't stop me from buying what I want. If you think of the prizes and gifts as an incentive to buy more, I think you might be taking it the wrong way.

Now, I'm not angry about the prizes (the cards look OK) because they are a nice bonus to the games and system (my 3DS) I was planning on buying regardless. However, it is frustrating to see JA and EU get really awesome gifts and raffles* year after year is really frustrating. I want to be able to say "I totally won this in a Nintendo raffle!/OMG! Best Club gift ever!" instead of "Yeah, I bought this off Ebay." It is definitely more exciting to earn something through passion about a product rather than using money to get what you want.

With all the commotion, I totally missed this:

jbbDAg1vn7YlWv.png

HELPFUL!

Haha, I noticed the year thingy too! It is kind of confusing if you've never been a member before; I'm glad they added it.

*I believe the 3 Mario character 3DSs were a raffle if you bought certain games in a certain window of time, correct? Thread here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454149

RagnarokX

This was the first year where I was a member, and I did get to platinum, but it was only because I had a LOT of games saved up from over the years and I hadn't known about the club until a friend mentioned it to me last year. I can't even imagine myself getting platinum any other year, since I'm not made of cash and there has been a rather obvious dearth of variety in their games lately (because of their weird aversion to 3rd party software), but that won't stop me from buying what I want. If you think of the prizes and gifts as an incentive to buy more, I think you might be taking it the wrong way.

Now, I'm not angry about the prizes (the cards look OK) because they are a nice bonus to the games and system (my 3DS) I was planning on buying regardless. However, it is frustrating to see JA and EU get really awesome gifts and raffles* year after year is really frustrating. I want to be able to say "I totally won this in a Nintendo raffle!/OMG! Best Club gift ever!" instead of "Yeah, I bought this off Ebay." It is definitely more exciting to earn something through passion about a product rather than using money to get what you want.

Haha, I noticed the year thingy too! It is kind of confusing if you've never been a member before; I'm glad they added it.

*I believe the 3 Mario character 3DSs were a raffle if you bought certain games in a certain window of time, correct? Thread here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454149

They also got Kid Icarus 3D Classic for free without having to preorder just for entering the raffle.

bubnbob

Banned

Third party software is starting to include CN codes since 3DS. Unless it has its own store (Square Enix), of course.

randomkid

What have the European prizes been so far anyways? The only thing I can remember being kinda envious of was that case if you registered all the Layton games.

Alchemy

Seals the deal, I'm bullshitting all the surveys now. I used to actually fill the things out with proper responses because I sort of cared about providing Nintendo with useful data expecting it to be rewarded with fancy Nintendo swag, but fuck it. You want to give me paper I will give you useless shit in return. Coin farming mode activate.

PLEASE read through the thread before posting.

Please?

Alternatively, you could have answered the question in the same amount of time it took to post that.

EDIT: There were only 2 posts across 4 pages explaining this. Not exactly something obvious someone would get from normal perusal of a thread.

Top Bottom