• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Destroyer collides with merchant vessel in South China Sea (yes, again)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
8 hoursish and still no news huh.

And the damage

21xp-mccain-3-master768.jpg

cameron

BREAKING: US Navy says USS John S. McCain has significant hull damage; crew berths, machinery and communications rooms flooded.

— The Associated Press‏ (@AP) Aug 21, 2017

U.S. 7th Fleet: USS John S. McCain pulls into Changi Naval Base **UPDATE 3:55 p.m. JST, Aug. 21, 2017**
CHANGI NAVAL BASE, Singapore - The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) has arrived at Changi Naval Base following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21.

The collision was reported at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time. Significant damage to the hull resulted in flooding to nearby compartments, including crew berthing, machinery, and communications rooms. Damage control efforts by the crew halted further flooding.

There are currently 10 Sailors missing and five injured. Four of the injured were medically evacuated by a Singapore Armed Forces helicopter to a hospital in Singapore for non-life threatening injuries. The fifth injured Sailor does not require further medical attention.

Search and rescue efforts continue in coordination with local authorities. The Republic of Singapore Fearless-class patrol ships RSS Gallant (97), RSS Resilience (82), and Singaporean Police Coast Guard vessel Basking Shark (55) are in the area rendering assistance.

Additionally, MH-60S helicopters and MV-22 Ospreys from the amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) are in the area providing search and rescue assistance.

Alnic MC is a Liberian-flagged 600-foot oil and chemical tanker with a gross tonnage of 30,000.

The incident will be investigated.

Drencrom

Wait what, 10 missing and 5 injured over this fuck up that could've been easily avoided if people actually did their jobs... saddening

Don't these expensive Destoryer ships have the best radar and navigation equipment available? Like how does this happen twice in 2 months?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
This is PAC FLEET...AGAIN? I'll reserve anger until we find our boys but this is something else...or possible some kind of outdated software or hack. I refuse to believe there are this many incompetent sailors out there.

Maybe they are using some kinda new OS for the OSs?

Tovarisc

This is PAC FLEET...AGAIN? I'll reserve anger until we find our boys but this is something else...or possible some kind of outdated software or hack. I refuse to believe there are this many incompetent sailors out there.

Maybe they are using some kinda new OS for the OSs?

They really don't have lookouts that actually look around and not just trust blindly radars and other such detection devices monitors?

Wait what, 10 missing and 5 injured over this fuck up that could've been easily avoided if people actually did their jobs... saddening

Don't these expensive Destoryer ships have the best radar and navigation equipment available? Like how does this happen twice in 2 months?

You'd think there would be proximity alarms

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
They really don't have lookouts that actually look around and not just trust blindly radars and other such detection devices monitors?

You'd think there would be proximity alarms

The machines are only giving you data, they aren't going to autopilot you and the other ship on different courses. IIRC for the USS Fitzgerald collision, general seamanship was blamed for the crash. Ignoring warnings, ignoring signals from the other ship, continuing on an unsure course with regards to the other ship, etc.

The odds that they literally didn't know the ship was there was basically 0, it's just what they do with the information they have.

kmag

To be honest if you're hit on the port side, it's normally the other ship at fault as you're meant to giveway to traffic on your starboard side, but looking at the damage, the tanker was straight. The ship with right of way isn't meant to cross ahead of the stand-on ship.

cromofo

Easily avoidable. With the radars and auto-plotting devices they have you'd have to be blind and deaf not to acknowledge an object that size.

Jackpot

Banned
In the previous thread I think I posted an image of the path the ship took which looked like it had been on purpose.

Edit: found it
bmXUC7v.jpg

But I would assume if this was the case, even if the US wouldn't try to shout it without having clear undeniable proofs, that they wouldn't have blamed themselves.

Seems a shakeup is due at the navy.

Your disgusting conspiracy theory of "road rage" was disproved completely. Stop spreading FUD.

duckroll

Hope we find all the missing sailors. Accident looks really bad, but it's pretty lucky that it happened so close to Singapore. Probably the best port in the area to handle something like this.

Caayn

Again? How? How do two large ships, one if which is a high tech military ship so it should be equipped with good radar equipment, collide like this? Even if the instruments malfunctioned I don't believe that they couldn't see the other ship with their bare eyes.

US Navy making themselves look like fools here.

Sad to hear that people got injured and missing during this avoidable incident.

kami_sama

How the fuck does this happen again, with more or less the same circumstances and on another ship on the same command?
Or the training is really, really bad, or there's foreign interference.

Yeoman

Shouldn't be in the South China Sea anyways. Go home.

And how are you crashing with all that state of the art tech though?
Incompetence and poor training.
Supposedly the crash occurred around the same time the watches were changing. Apparently there is meant to be 5 different watchstations. The fact that none of them saw this coming is rather embarrassing and pathetic.

Koren

The machines are only giving you data, they aren't going to autopilot you and the other ship on different courses.
Well, if this becomes common, maybe they should... Like with TCAS on planes...

Because it would be ridiculous if there weren't casualties, but it's even worse than that.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Well, if this becomes common, maybe they should... Like with TCAS on planes...

Because it would be ridiculous if there weren't casualties, but it's even worse than that.

What do you mean? Does TCAS take over control from the pilots?

Koren

What do you mean? Does TCAS take over control from the pilots?
No... It even used to disengage auto-pilot when a TCAS resolution advice happened, though Airbus at least has now integrated TCAS RA in the auto-pilot.

TCAS won't take away control from pilot, but when the plane is on a collision course, you get a suggestion on how to resolve the crisis that is compatible with what happens on the other plane, it's basically foolproof if you follow it (I don't remember a collision resulting from obeying TCAS RA, well, not when BOTH plane do it) and you're not to ignore the advice unless you have a really, really good reason.

If those collisions are the result of people taking the bad decisions to alarms (I can't believe there wasn't an alarm somewhere), maybe we should provide them with a device that will suggest them proper actions...

Koren

I can see vessels getting damaged in shallow waters because of a GPS error (and still, that cry overreliance on the GPS to me, the should use inertial sensors to confirm GPS data).

I can also see them entereing a high traffic area by error because of this.

But for a collision to happen, there's still a need for a lot other failures... You don't avoid other vessels using the GPS...

how does this happen? is this a case of the one ship notices the other and says to move? then they both be stubborn pricks and sail into one another in a maritime game of Chicken? because that's the only way this makes sense unless they have the worst radar, sonar, binoculars and blind watchmen on both vessels

Khoryos

By my (admittedly incomplete) understanding of sea law, this sound less like the warship's fault than the last time?

You're supposed to give way to the starboard, and the previous shit was hit on the starboard so they'd crossed in front of the ship with right-of-way. This was hit to port, so that means they should have had right of way.

cromofo

how does this happen? is this a case of the one ship notices the other and says to move? then they both be stubborn pricks and sail into one another in a maritime game of Chicken? because that's the only way this makes sense unless they have the worst radar, sonar, binoculars and blind watchmen on both vessels
Lack of professionalism.

They have auto-plotting aid on their radars that show the paths of any ship within their reach. All they needed to do was a small correction of course and/or speed and it would've been easily avoidable. If their paths were crossing, the alarms would beep bloody murder and would not stop until it's corrected.

It's like hitting the only car at the parking lot.

bananas

Banned
By my (admittedly incomplete) understanding of sea law, this sound less like the warship's fault than the last time?

You're supposed to give way to the starboard, and the previous shit was hit on the starboard so they'd crossed in front of the ship with right-of-way. This was hit to port, so that means they should have had right of way.

Yes.

It's still unacceptable that it happened.

bananas

Banned
Lack of professionalism.

They have auto-plotting aid on their radars that show the paths of any ship within their reach. All they needed to do was a small correction of course and/or speed and it would've been easily avoidable. If their paths were crossing, the alarms would beep bloody murder and would not stop until it's corrected.

It's like hitting the only car at the parking lot.

o7DUifI.jpg

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

something tells me a destroyer has a much better power weight ratio than a tanker, though.
You can't just stop a tanker.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
No... It even used to disengage auto-pilot when a TCAS resolution advice happened, though Airbus at least has now integrated TCAS RA in the auto-pilot.

TCAS won't take away control from pilot, but when the plane is on a collision course, you get a suggestion on how to resolve the crisis that is compatible with what happens on the other plane, it's basically foolproof if you follow it (I don't remember a collision resulting from obeying TCAS RA, well, not when BOTH plane do it) and you're not to ignore the advice unless you have a really, really good reason.

If those collisions are the result of people taking the bad decisions to alarms (I can't believe there wasn't an alarm somewhere), maybe we should provide them with a device that will suggest them proper actions...

Not sure why I was quoted then, the situations seem the same. Both in the ship and on the plane you are warned of things and are meant to take action. If this is like the Fitzgerald incident, they might have just taken the wrong actions, if any at all. Same goes with the other ship.

Timbuktu

This is the US and China. All the tech in the world is not going to help if hubris, incompetence and arrogance is in play.

I still don't get how China is involved in this beyond the word 'China' being in the name South China Sea. None of the four incidents this year involved a Chinese vessel, right? Was any of this in Chinese waters?

Koren

Hard to tell with just the result...

You can't stop a boat in short time, you can steer it a bit and increase/decrease speed. Imagine that you're about to hit a ship coming from starboard, you may decrease the speed to let it pass, but if the ship also unexpectingly slow down, you'll ram it, and you can't do much about this.

Koren

Not sure why I was quoted then, the situations seem the same. Both in the ship and on the plane you are warned of things and are meant to take action. If this is like the Fitzgerald incident, they might have just taken the wrong actions, if any at all. Same goes with the other ship.
Indeed... What I meant is that, as far as I know, ships gives the information "Something bad may happen, be careful". Planes are "Something bad may happen, do this so it can be avoided", and pilots are trained to trust the advice and follow it.

Maybe they should consider implementing similar systems for boats in places with heavy traffic... It would seem that some lack the capability to act properly on those kinds of emergencies, a computer giving orders may be an improvement.

cromofo

Hard to tell with just the result...

You can't stop a boat in short time, you can steer it a bit and increase/decrease speed. Imagine that you're about to hit a ship coming from starboard, you may decrease the speed to let it pass, but if the ship also unexpectingly slow down, you'll ram it, and you can't do much about this.
For that to happen, there had to be a major fuck up leading to it.

The vessels don't appear from thin air, they're marked individually or automatically as they should be when there is heavy traffic. There's information on speed, course etc on every single vessel in the area. It was only a matter of basic collision prevention and traffic rules that look to have been ignored.

Drifters

What a fucking joke. Millions of dollars in tech and the boats still run into each other. It's like Apple Maps is their GPS.

They do have lookouts but, in nighttime, if the tanker didn't have deck lighting on the lookout would only see the tanker's port/starboard running lights and masthead light(s). It's very difficult to determine range and bearing to a ship in those conditions. Radar and fire control will give you a much more accurate set of info on what the other ship is doing.

This is the US and China. All the tech in the world is not going to help if hubris, incompetence and arrogance is in play.

*face palm*

I still don't get how China is involved in this beyond the word 'China' being in the name South China Sea. None of the four incidents this year involved a Chinese vessel, right? Was any of this in Chinese waters?

Either 1) Literally because it's called the South China Seas, or 2) People still think Singapore = China.

Top Bottom