• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

Best of Luck for sure, for Bob Bradley. We ranked 2nd on the Confed Cup, beat the #1 ranked team (at the time), Spain, won the first Gold Cup, got to the round of 16 in the World Cup, and I think, very importantly, raised the level of soccer awareness in the US.

A lot of deniers say that people only care about soccer during the World Cup, but I think under Bob's tenure, soccer's popularity has reached new heights and stayed there, thanks to the results I've mentioned above.

There will always be haters on Bob, but nothing but props from me to Bob!

daoster

Regulus Tera said:
What are you guys gonna do for next week's game against us?

Holy crap....the game IS coming up pretty quick huh???

OMGGGGGGGG who's gonna be the coach?

And related, but I think Bob should continue to be on the national team's staff. He has a very cerebral way of coaching and I think he should definitely continue to take part.

TeegsD

Just got the email from bleacher report. Honestly took way too long for this to happen. I know people liked Bob but I was just never a fan.

shoplifter

BLSwagger10 said:
Just got the email from bleacher report. Honestly took way too long for this to happen. I know people liked Bob but I was just never a fan.

Yes, this should have been done after the WC last year. The only way I would have retained him is by making the quarters or higher. Even then, he was at the point of relying far too much on the same players to produce results, making some very questionable call-ups (Findley, anyone?) and making poor tactical decisions to start a match, only to make some genius ones between halves.

I wish him nothing but luck, but it was overdue. Maybe now Mikey can a rest every once in a while.

shoplifter

@AndresCantorGOL
ANDRES CANTOR
Hay un fuerte rumor que Marcello Lippi podría ser el DT de USA. Strong rumor abou Marcello Lippi becoming US head coach

Yes please. New Manager to be announced tomorrow apparently.

\/\/ Better than just about any other available option. Klinsmann would be wasted as Manager - he needs to be elsewhere in some player/program development role.

daoster

Gamecocks625 said:
Ok...so...let's go after Bruce Arena. I heard he's a good MLS coach.
Fuck me if Bruce Arena is ever coach of the USA team again....

Announcement tomorrow... Maybe they have a coach ready...any guesses??

edit: lippi??? Don't know how I feel bout that

totally kidding about Bruce, by the way.

I hope we don't go for a MLS coach...get some foreign dude in here.

EDIT: Lippi? Man, I don't want to play boring soccer. I'd rather keep Bob Bradley. Italy is absolutely boring to watch.

Mindlog

Bradley being relieved is somewhat surprising.
Having the replacement ready is startling.

Play has been a touch listless as of late. Hopefully this will light a new fire under everyone. I'm pretty excited to hear who is going to step in.

Stuck

Well Bradley can't be blamed for all of the USMNT problems anymore. Definitely curious to see who will be named as the new coach and how things will shake up.

shoplifter

SoccerByIves said:
While Lippi rumor gathers steam I'm hearing now that Klinsmann's the guy, which makes more sense since Gulati has chased him for 5 years

hopefully not, but we shall see. still better than Bob.

Wahl said:
GrantWahl US Soccer will issue new statement around midday Friday, will not provide media access to Gulati or potential new coach until next week.

shoplifter

SoccerByIves said:
Setting line now: Klinsmann 1/1, Lippi 4/1, Ancelotti 10/1, MLS coach 99/1 (and no, the math doesn't add up, didn't bother closet bookies)

Mark Hughes? He's available. Not saying it's the best option, but it's there.

\/\/\/ It's more about the 'without a hell of a lot of success, the manager's message starts to fall on deaf ears' than 'win or be fired'

xbhaskarx

Damn, it's probably too late to get Marcelo Bielsa now...

shoplifter said:
Yes, this should have been done after the WC last year. The only way I would have retained him is by making the quarters or higher.

Quarters or higher for a coach to keep his job?? That is absolutely ridiculous standard for the US soccer team given where we are as a soccer nation right now...

Lippi... if we're judging based on World Cup results, do we label him World Cup winner or guy who couldn't get Italy, four time champions, out of the group stage?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
xbhaskarx said:
Lippi... if we're judging based on World Cup results, do we label him World Cup winner or guy who couldn't get Italy, four time champions, out of the group stage?

2010 was a freak accident resulting from being stubborn about renewing the team. This wouldn't be the case if he were appointed as USA's coach.

xbhaskarx

I hope it's not a current MLS coach or Klinsmann (let's see Toronto FC actually win a few games first). I don't think Kreis (the best MLS candidate) is ready. If it's Arena I may shoot myself.

daoster said:
Best of Luck for sure, for Bob Bradley. We ranked 2nd on the Confed Cup, beat the #1 ranked team (at the time), Spain, won the first Gold Cup, got to the round of 16 in the World Cup, and I think, very importantly, raised the level of soccer awareness in the US.

A lot of deniers say that people only care about soccer during the World Cup, but I think under Bob's tenure, soccer's popularity has reached new heights and stayed there, thanks to the results I've mentioned above.

There will always be haters on Bob, but nothing but props from me to Bob!

Right, well said. Even if it was time for him to go I think Bradley did a good job for the most part, overall far more positive than negative.
Hopefully this will put less of a spotlight on Michael Bradley as well...

Stuck said:
Well Bradley can't be blamed for all of the USMNT problems anymore.

Now everything is the new guy's fault, I can't believe he played player X when hindsight bias makes it so obvious he should have selected player Y.
Pretty much the lowest level of sports analysis is blaming the coach. Let's see how long before these same people are calling on Bradley's replacement to be fired...

shoplifter

Honestly, if I were presented with the option of keeping Bob or signing Lippi, I take Lippi in a moment. The dude has won World's Best Manager awards three times (both club and national) won a WC, won a Champions League, Coppa Italia, and five Serie A titles.

Bob has a trophy case filled with one MLS Cup, a few Open Cups, a Gold Cup, and a few Ivy League titles. No contest.

xbhaskarx

shoplifter said:
Honestly, if I were presented with the option of keeping Bob or signing Lippi, I take Lippi in a moment. The dude has won World's Best Manager awards three times (both club and national) won a WC, won a Champions League, Coppa Italia, and five Serie A titles.

Bob has a trophy case filled with one MLS Cup, a few Open Cups, a Gold Cup, and a few Ivy League titles. No contest.

Well obviously Lippi has accomplished far far more than Bradley. I'm sure their salaries will not be anywhere close to comparable. If we have the money to spend, by all means we should hire a successful foreign coach. I just hope the the people who want an expensive foreign coach are not the same ones bitching that we're scheduling friendlies against Spain, Mexico, etc. "just to make money"...

shoplifter

xbhaskarx said:
I just hope the the people who want an expensive foreign coach are not the same ones bitching that we're scheduling friendlies against Spain, Mexico, etc. "just to make money"...

Who the hell else should we be scheduling friendlies against? We learn nothing by scheduling friendlies against teams worse than us, so we should be playing the best as often as possible, regardless of result.

As far as the money, I'm sure someone somewhere has it. Surely we're making a shitton of money off of these latest ones.

xbhaskarx

shoplifter said:
Who the hell else should we be scheduling friendlies against? We learn nothing by scheduling friendlies against teams worse than us, so we should be playing the best as often as possible, regardless of result.

I completely agree, and I think the quality of our opponents has been one of the biggest changes under Bradley.
My point is that people complained about both Spain and Mexico, as if US soccer making money was some terrible thing.

Stuck

xbhaskarx said:
Now everything is the new guy's fault, I can't believe he played player X when hindsight bias makes it so obvious he should have selected player Y.
Pretty much the lowest level of sports analysis is blaming the coach. Let's see how long before these same people are calling on Bradley's replacement to be fired...

Pretty much. Everyone loves to second guess after the fact (myself included), but in reality it's impossible to know how things would have been since 2007 with different coach. I think everyone can agree that Bradley did some very positive things for the team and soccer in the US. That being said, there are definitely times when a team needs a change, and trying out new coaching/management might be a necessary risk here. I hope the transition is handled well and things slowly move in the right direction over the long term. I feel like those expecting immediate huge improvements might be disappointed.

Clydefrog

just imagine if we got a high-profile, experienced foreign coach

ykWdV.jpg

6BpqO.jpg

LOL

bluemax

Banned
In all seriousness I contend that the next coach won't really matter a great deal.

Until the pool of talent is greater/deeper the coach is nearly irrelevant.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
bluemax said:
In all seriousness I contend that the next coach won't really matter a great deal.

The biggest problem is the aging team. We really need some more new talent.

shoplifter

bluemax said:

To a point. Was bob really getting everything he could out of our pool? At least for the last year, I'd say its a clear no.

daoster

shoplifter said:
To a point. Was bob really getting everything he could out of our pool? At least for the last year, I'd say its a clear no.

It's true that our results since the end of 2010 have been...middling at best, throughout his tenure? I definitely think so.

daoster

From Grant Wahl:

Source: Bradley was blindsided by dismissal. His staff was notifying players yesterday of call-ups for USA-Mexico friendly.

If true, that's kinda shady...and probably won't lead to a good feeling amongst players.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx don't tell me you actually think Toronto's success/lack of will actually affect how well Klinsmann would do. He was hired as a consultant.

daoster said:
If true, that's kinda shady...and probably won't lead to a good feeling amongst players.

That's messed up. Maybe we needed a new coach but he still deserves respect, he doesn't deserve to have the rug pulled out from under him.

methodman

Banned
timetokill said:
That's messed up. Maybe we needed a new coach but he still deserves respect, he doesn't deserve to have the rug pulled out from under him.
There's no way he was surprised about this to that extent lol. National team coaches usually get 4 years before being fired

ZZMitch

Bradley was a pretty good coach, but the team seemed stagnant with him. We need a great coach in order to bring the USMNT to new heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom