• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre

GitarooMan said:
Canning Bradley will solve something though, which is enough. The guy can't get his team ready to play and more often than not is overmatched on the international stage.

Probably because our player pool is, more often than not, overmatched on the international stage.

Gamecocks625 said:
With the diversity of ethnicity in this country, I would think we would be absolutely killing it at the international level. Seriously, there HAS to be enough talent in this country to field a kick butt team.

But then again, I'm just a fan so I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

We've got all kinds of athletic talent, but most of it isn't playing soccer beyond the youth level and most of it isn't getting the kind of coaching needs to build strong technical skill and a good tactical understanding of the game.

It'll come though, in time.

daoster

Well, hopefully, this will nullify people's irrational fear about Chandler "switching" sides:

HEALTHY CHANDLER EXPLAINS SUMMER OFF

"No. That is absolutely not the reason why I missed the Gold Cup," Chandler stated emphatically. "It is my goal and dream to represent the United States at the 2014 World Cup. What I said in March is true. I will absolutely not play for Germany. There is no way that will happen."

daoster

USA Friendly against Belgium on September 6: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6732764/us-men-visit-belgium-sept-6-exhibition

CHICAGO -- The U.S. men's soccer team will travel to Brussels for a Sept. 6 exhibition against Belgium.

The exhibition at Stade Roi Baudouin will be the first game for the United States since its 4-2 loss to Mexico on June 25 in the Gold Cup final. Belgium plays Azerbaijan on Sept. 2 in a European Championship qualifier.

The game will be the fourth meeting between the two countries.

The United States won the first game, a 3-0 victory during the 1930 World Cup in Uruguay. But Belgium has won the last two, both played in Brussels, with the teams last playing in 1998.

Will there be a new coach at the helm, I wonder?

Also, Gulati hasn't "addressed the Bradley issue" per his comments to NY Times yet....

xbhaskarx

ussoccer:
The #USMNT will play on 9/2 against Costa Rica in Carson, Calif. and 9/6 against Belgium in Brussels bit.ly/pjTADE

I assume it will be two completely different rosters, MLS and European.

Can't wait to see who Klinsm...Bradley picks for those two games

I kid!

But seriously...I'm glad our women are kicking butt and taking names at the WWC

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I assume it will be two completely different rosters, MLS and European.

Probably.

It'd be a good chance to test the MLS based up and comers and have them play against a relative strong relatively strong team.

Belgium is also a pretty decent side with some real quality players, and would be a good test for our younger European based players.

xbhaskarx

Whoa, this is unexpected:

USMNT to face Mexico in Philadelphia on Aug. 10th

The U.S. men's national team will take on Mexico on Aug. 10th at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, U.S. Soccer revealed on Friday.

The match-up is a rematch of the Gold Cup Final, won by Mexico, 4-2, in June.

The "friendly" is the third friendly scheduled by U.S. Soccer since the Gold Cup, with the Americans taking on Costa Rica and Belgium.

The friendly could give us the return to national team action of midfielder Stuart Holden and defender/midfielder Timmy Chandler, who both missed the Gold Cup.

Mexico has won the past three meetings between the countries, including the past two Gold Cup Finals. The sides haven't met in a friendly since 2008, when the teams tied, 2-2, in Houston.

xbhaskarx

After another injury, U.S. soccer’s Stuart Holden again determined to bounce back

A second straight major injury, this one a broken bone in his left knee that required surgery. Out six months. Season over. No Gold Cup.
Now, although Holden is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation, according to Hashimoto, the midfielder isn’t willing to rush back to the field until he’s ready. Holden originally set mid-September as a return target — exactly six months after the injury — but he might not be back in action until October.

“That six weeks in the World Cup was probably the best six weeks of my life,” Holden said. “I think that’s still another reason maybe [U.S. Coach Bob Bradley] brought me along . . . knowing I wasn’t quite there yet but knowing I still brought something to the team off the field in motivating guys and being around the group.”

For the next cycle, however, Holden figures to play a much larger role.

The knee injury occurred just days before friendlies against Argentina and Paraguay, but was especially ill-timed as it appeared Bradley was preparing to unveil a formation that would allow Holden to play in the middle of the field, tucked behind a lone striker.

The 4-2-3-1 system would give Holden the freedom to roam with two defensive center midfielders behind him, likely a combination of Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones or Maurice Edu, and with veterans Clint Dempsey and Donovan on his wings.

“That’s something Bob and I had spoken about, that going forward that could be my role,” Holden said. “Playing in the middle underneath the striker, or even one of the two [center midfielders in a 4-4-2 formation]. . . . It gets your mouth watering a little bit being able to play in that kind of formation.”

xbhaskarx

Cropper on verge of Ipswich Town deal
US U-20 goalkeeper Cody Cropper is on the verge of signing a one year professional contract with English Championship club Ipswich Town FC and the deal should be complete soon.

Cropper, 18, has been playing with the team under an academy deal but the club is set to make the young American a professional.

"Cody's contract has essentially been sorted and commenced from 1 July," Ipswich Town FC press officer Jade Cole told YA. "However at this stage it's just a case of ‘dotting the i's and crossing the t's' and we are hoping he will be signing by the end of this week. The agreement is a one year professional contract."

Cropper began last season playing for the club's U-18 team but in the second half of the season he made multiple appearances with the reserve team.

Cropper is a dual citizen with the United States and England but he has spent time with many US youth national teams. Most recently he was part of the US U-20 World Cup qualifying team and is eligible for the 2013 U-20 team as well.

Talent Brooks sends Bayern packing
With Andreas Ottl, Thomas Power and Christian Lell, there are currently three ex-Bayern-Stars in the Hertha squad. Now it comes out that Hertha talent, central defender John Anthony Brooks (18), almost went in the opposite direction to Munich!

At the same time as Hertha's offer in May, the German-American received an inquiry from Bayern. He was to gain game time primarily with the amateurs and then slowly be brought into the professional squad. But the native of Tempelhof opted for Hertha and signed until 2015! Coach Markus Babbel confirmed: ".. Brooks had a huge offer from the the Bavarians, but he chose us and forwent a lot of money" Right now, Brooks is in Berlin rehabbing an Achilles injury but will travel with the team on Sunday to their second training camp in Austria.

xbhaskarx

Milk Cup Roster
The defending champion Americans face Israel on July 25 and Mexico two days later. The results of the first two matches will determine their third match. The other squads in the six-team tournament are Georgia, Denmark and Northern Ireland.

US U-18 MNT Roster by Position

GOALKEEPERS (2): Cody Cropper (Ipswich Town; Athens, Ga.), Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City; Leawood, Kans.)

DEFENDERS (8): Michael Ambrose (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Bryan Gallego (New York Red Bulls; Kinnelon, N.J.), Jordan McCrary (North Carolina; Marietta, Ga.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (UANL Tigres; Riverside, Calif.), Boyd Okwuonu (FC Dallas; Edmund, Okla.), Jalen Robinson (D.C. United; Cantonsville, Md.), Javan Torre (Pateadores; Santa Monica, Calif.), Walker Zimmerman (Furman University; Lawrenceville, Ga.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), William Packwood (Birmingham City; Concord, Mass.), Victor Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bollingbrook, Ill.), Marcus Salandy-Defour (D.C. United; Kensington, Md.), Alex Shinksy (Maryland; York, Penn.)

FORWARDS (3): Jerome Kiesewetter (Hertha BSC; Berlin), Luis Rendon (FC Richmond Magic; Chesterfield, Va.), Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps; El Paso, Texas).

daoster

Done deal....Jozy signs for Dutch side AZ Alkmaar. Should be good for his development, hopefully.

And like I said, if he doesn't succeed here, then..well...the search for the striker continues.

daoster said:
Done deal....Jozy signs for Dutch side AZ Alkmaar. Should be good for his development, hopefully.

And like I said, if he doesn't succeed here, then..well...the search for the striker continues.

Yeah hopefully Jozy won't get Eddie Johnson'ed and actually turn into a more dependable striker. Him and Dempsey up top COULD work out, I guess. I'd really like to see Agudelo develop a little bit more, too.

Clydefrog

daoster said:

Thought he was going to Sporting Lisbon? At any rate, hope he does well. He's still quite young, so this should hopefully help him develop. We need him to develop!

rar

Clydefrog said:
Thought he was going to Sporting Lisbon? At any rate, hope he does well. He's still quite young, so this should hopefully help him develop. We need him to develop!

onyewu is going to lisbon

Mindlog

Gamecocks625 said:
Yeah hopefully Jozy won't get Eddie Johnson'ed and actually turn into a more dependable striker. Him and Dempsey up top COULD work out, I guess. I'd really like to see Agudelo develop a little bit more, too.
I definitely want to see Aguadelo get some more quality playtime.

GL Jozy! It's time.

Heretic

Tickets to the USA vs Costa Rica at the Home Depot Center, where the Galaxy play, went on sale today. I'll probably pick up a pair.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finally unbanned!

That Gold Cup final was brutal. Chenrundolo getting hurt screwed us. While Bornstein was terrible we didn't really have another defender on the squad who wouldn't have got burned so many times. Howard had a terrible game.

The next Mexico friendly game is a joke. I guess we're desperate for money. I won't be surprised if some of the European players don't play.

Buddle played today in the first match of the season today. He came in at the 77th minute and didn't have time to help his team win.

daoster

Heartbreaking loss for the USA Women's team, but it was a really good game, and nobody can say that Japan didn't deserve to win.

xbhaskarx said:
Welcome back.

It's been a rough time for US soccer teams recently... I still think the future looks bright, though.

Well, the women's team is looking good at least, the men's team's future seems a bit more uncertain to me. Sure we have some (hopefully) future stars but we do feel a little stuck in neutral on occasion. Not as much charging forward, now just trying to improve on technique.

xbhaskarx

timetokill said:
Well, the women's team is looking good at least

The women are ranked #1 in the world, I'd say their loss was comparable to the men losing in the Gold Cup final.
Also, being the last team to qualify, losing in the group stage (for the first time, like the men at the Gold Cup), and blowing two leads in the final against an inferior opponent isn't "good".

In any case, that's four losses in tournament finals in the last few years for US soccer, 09 Gold Cup, 09 Confed Cup, 11 Gold Cup, 11 World Cup.

xbhaskarx

Women's World Cup final between USA and Japan sets Twitter record

The women's final may have made history as Japan defied the odds to defeat the USA and lift the trophy for this first time, but the game in Frankfurt also broke records on Twitter as the most tweeted event in the social networking site's five-year-history.

Twitter confirmed that the dramatic end to the women's final, as Japan equalised with three minutes of extra-time remaining and went on to win on penalties, produced a record 7,196 tweets per second (TPS).

Women's World Cup gets whopping ESPN TV rating

ESPN's coverage of Sunday's U.S.-Japan Women's World Cup final drew a whopping 8.6 overnight -- assuring that it will be the second-highest-rated women's soccer game ever on U.S. TV.

That overnight translates to 8.6% of households in the 56 urban TV markets measured for overnights. When all households are included in a national rating coming later today, Sunday's game will still trail the 11.4% of U.S. households that watched the 1999 China-U.S. Cup final. But Sunday's final will easily outrate the 2.9% of U.S. households that watched the 1999 Brazil-U.S. Cup semifinal, which had been the second-highest-rated women's soccer game.

daoster

Altidore finalizes 4 year deal with AZ

United States national team striker Jozy Altidore was introduced at new club AZ Alkmaar on Wednesday, putting pen to paper on a four-year deal that seals his permanent move from Spanish club Villarreal.

Orebro rejects Rangers bid for Bedoya

Reports out of Scotland have indicated that Scottish Premier League champions Rangers have sent a transfer bid for USMNT midfielder Alejandro Bedoya and that the bid has been rejected by Orebro.

+ interest for Bradley from Italia!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like he is still going to Rangers. He said on Twitter he just agreed to terms with Rangers. It looks like it is a pre-contract where he will switch to them once his current contract runs out.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully Maurice has a better season this year. Bedoya has to hope his work permit gets approved. I bet BB calls him up for the Mexico/Belgium games to improve his chances of getting the decision.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
Hopefully Maurice has a better season this year. Bedoya has to hope his work permit gets approved. I bet BB calls him up for the Mexico/Belgium games to improve his chances of getting the decision.

I would be so annoyed if Bedoya didn't get a work permit when Findley did...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's exciting to me that I get to watch more matches now. Different leagues are finally starting up again in addition to the Scandinavian ones which have been going on.

Buddle plays again today.
Herculez Gomez makes his debut with his new team.
I'm also hoping Josh Gatt doesn't have to play RB for Molde today.

xbhaskarx

U-18 Villyan Bijev signed by Liverpool:

Youth phenom Bijev inked by Liverpool

AMSTERDAM — Cal Odyssey striker Villyan Bijev has signed a five-year contract with English Premier League giants Liverpool and has been immediately loaned to Belgian champs Racing Genk, MLSsoccer.com has learned.

The 18-year-old Fresno, Calif.-raised forward holds a Bulgarian passport, but that country has yet to fully complete its European Union induction, having only joined in 2007. Bijev will be able to obtain a UK work permit with his passport next July, but for the meantime must start his pro days in the Jupiler League.

While wowing the Reds on a blind-given trial suggested by his rep, Bijev may have convinced them to offer a deal with a 45-minute friendly showing with the Under-18s against Stevenage Borough. The American bagged a hat trick, won the penalty kick for another goal and set up yet another to spark an 8-0 romp.

Bijev will join the Genk first team for training, but will likely work his way into the selection with some reserve action.

"Everybody cuts their teeth in the second team," Bijev's agent, Steve Kelly, told MLSsoccer.com on Friday. "[Liverpool] would be very surprised if he wasn't in the first team by the end of the season."

Bijev, a member of the US U-18 player pool, could hope to make his Genk debut when the U-21 side opens their season with an August 19 trip to Anderlecht.

video

xbhaskarx

photos

Salgado:
215004_253393281339956_190868767592408_1106589_1390613_n.jpg

262489_253394011339883_190868767592408_1106597_3573341_n.jpg

I think 15 is Jerome Kiesewetter from Hertha Berlin:
205969_253393391339945_190868767592408_1106591_3947242_n.jpg

The goals:
ussoccer_ynt U.S. Soccer YNT
The U-18 #USMNT has taken a 1-0 lead! Salgado finished a beautiful cross from Villareal with a header into the far post!

ussoccer_ynt U.S. Soccer YNT
Kiesewetter makes it 2-0 in stoppage time! He finished a low cross from Luis Gil to give the U-18 #USMNT some breathing room

also
lmrp.jpg

Gil played for Real Salt Lake this weekend and just flew over there. The big game is US vs Mex on Wednesday...

xbhaskarx

US - Mexico tie 1-1

U-18 #USMNT XI vs MEX: Cropper; McCrary, Zimmerman, Gallego, Ocegueda; Robinson, Gil, Packwood; Kiesewetter, Salgado, Pineda

Mexico takes a 12th minute lead - A free kick was saved by Cropper, but the rebound was put away from close range U-18 #USMNT'

Robinson makes it 1-1 by a corner from Pineda to get the U-18 #USMNT on the board! Time of the goal is 45+1 @chicagofire @dcunited

Denmark beat Israel 3-1 and N. Ireland topped Georgia 3-1, which means those two teams will play for the final

Based on the goals scored tiebreaker, the U-18 #USMNT will go for third place against Georgia on Friday

shoplifter

Miracles *do* happen!

Hopefully we hire someone good, and don't bother with this ridiculous 'Manager must be American' garbage. Moving our training camps to Europe might help a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom