• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm04

I'm so happy about this. I was bitterly disappointed when they re-upped Bradley. It looked like he seemed to have lost the team. I hope this is the end of ever seeing Jonathan Bornstein at left back again. It also would be nice to see a midfield that didn't always include his son in the middle every single time. At least try a different pairing once in awhile. Hopefully, we'll see a healthy Holden where he belongs instead of being on the wing to accommodate Bradley's strategy of having nobody creative at CM. Now, to wait and see who gets the gig. Please don't screw this up, USSF. I'm not hopeful.

Pre

shoplifter said:
Yes, this should have been done after the WC last year. The only way I would have retained him is by making the quarters or higher. Even then, he was at the point of relying far too much on the same players to produce results, making some very questionable call-ups (Findley, anyone?) and making poor tactical decisions to start a match, only to make some genius ones between halves.

I wish him nothing but luck, but it was overdue. Maybe now Mikey can a rest every once in a while.

The relying on the same players bit is a bullshit accusation and always has been. Bob's been tremendous about cycling new players through camp and scouting everyone available in our pool and giving people chances. The fact that Freddy Adu started a game in the Gold Cup final against Mexico is proof enough that Bob's willing to try different things.

Where is this wealth of untapped talent for the USMNT that Bob neglected?

xbhaskarx

Pre said:
Where is this wealth of untapped talent for the USMNT that Bob neglected?

Is it just me or did the thread get awful silent after this question was posed?

I would love to hear some fresh names if the "relying on the same players" crowd is willing to supply them...

Heretic

xbhaskarx said:

I would love to hear some fresh names if the "relying on the same players" crowd is willing to supply them...
Same here. I think we just need a different style of play. We always seemed mechanic with little to no creativity.

Clydefrog

xbhaskarx said:

I just thought his team selection was poor in both the WC and the recent Gold Cup. His substitutions in the Confed Cup killed us. Same thing for the Gold Cup. I didn't like the choices Bob made on and off the field. I can't say how the players felt about Bob, but I imagine new blood at the helm will be anything but bad.

Sure the USMNT pool isn't the same as Germany or Argentina, but I don't think Bob adequately garnered all he could from our pool whether it be team choices or otherwise. If this new coach gets further power over the US Youth soccer system (as Klinsmann originally wanted), I think it'd be a great improvement.

Bob's tenure was too long; the USSF should have canned him after the World Cup. This took too long but better late than never.

in other news, Yeldell became Bayer Leverkusen's #1 keeper because Adler is out injured for a couple months. He has a chance to be a starting goalie in a UEFA CL game! David Yeldell!!

xbhaskarx

"I didn't like the choices Bob made on and off the field."
"I don't think Bob adequately garnered all he could from our pool whether it be team choices or otherwise."

Again, which players should have been in the pool that were not? And which players were not chosen as much as they should have been?
Specific names would be appreciated.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Clydefrog said:
in other news, Yeldell became Bayer Leverkusen's #1 keeper because Adler is out injured for a couple months. He has a chance to be a starting goalie in a UEFA CL game! David Yeldell!!

I'm excited for Yelldell. It is too bad he's only three years younger than Howard. Another goalie to look forward to is Quentin Westburg. He could be playing in Ligue 1. I think Evian's starting keeper is hurt.

What changes would you have made to the GC roster? The only defender I'd change is Chandler if he agreed to play and maybe choose a different LB. Who would you pick? Convey? Pearce? The Rogers is the one selection I was really angry about. What other forwards would you have picked?

Clydefrog

xbhaskarx said:
"I didn't like the choices Bob made on and off the field."
"I don't think Bob adequately garnered all he could from our pool whether it be team choices or otherwise."

Again, which players should have been in the pool that were not? And which players were not chosen as much as they should have been?
Specific names would be appreciated.

Christ, what is this? Am I getting graded?

I'll answer your questions tomorrow. headin to bed now

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
What changes would you have made to the GC roster? The only defender I'd change is if Chandler agreed to play and maybe choose a different LB. Who would you pick? Convey? Pearce? The Rogers is the one selection I was really angry about. What other forwards would you have picked?

Chandler was recovering from some minor injuries and his club didn't want him to go, given that he was completely off the radar before they gave him a chance, I'd much rather not have him at the Gold Cup rather than have him fall out of favor.
I agree about the Rogers selection, but he wasn't selected initially. Eddie Gaven refused the callup because he was having a kid. Now, Rogers still shouldn't be in the next dozen or so options, but he didn't play a single minute so it's not like it mattered.

Clydefrog said:
Christ, what is this? Am I getting graded?

If your answers are inadequate we will second guess you and maybe even start up a fire Clydefrog campaign!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Chandler was recovering from some minor injuries and his club didn't want him to go, given that he was completely off the radar before they gave him a chance, I'd much rather not have him at the Gold Cup rather than have him fall out of favor.
I agree about the Rogers selection, but he wasn't selected initially. Eddie Gaven refused the callup because he was having a kid. Now, Rogers still shouldn't be in the next dozen or so options, but he didn't play a single minute so it's not like it mattered.

If your answers are inadequate we will second guess you and maybe even start up a fire Clydefrog campaign!

I knew Chandler didn't accept due to those reasons. I was just saying he should have joined the squad if he didn't have those issues. I think we shot ourselves in the foot by losing to Panama, causing Bradley to play our starters in the 3rd group stage match and not giving them much rest. Cherundolo could have used a break.

There are some good stats about the team under BB on bigsoccer. Bradley used 111 players during his reign.

Welcome Jürgen Klinsmann. Let's see what he can do

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2011/07/Klinsmann-Named-Head-Coach-of-US-MNT.aspx

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
GrantWahl Grant Wahl
Official: Jürgen Klinsmann is the new coach of the U.S. men’s soccer team. He’ll have more control than any U.S. coach before him.

That part is essential and it will help us in the future.

Blablurn

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wait....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i'm sooooooooooooooooooo sorry for you guys.

EDIT:

wait..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Blablurn said:

wait....

EDIT:

wait..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You do realize our last coach was Bob Bradley, right?

Heretic

Blablurn said:

wait....

EDIT:

wait..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
A fresh face with fresh ideas can't help especially in the state we're in. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the laugh wagon.

Blablurn

Heretic said:
A fresh face with fresh ideas can't help especially in the state we're in. I wouldn't be so quick just jump on the laugh wagon.

so called fresh ideas brought us the worst season ever. even worse than the van gaal drama last year. he's a bad coach. and he needs somebody like joachim löw to achieve success like he did in 2006 with the german national team

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Blablurn said:
so called fresh ideas brought us the worst season ever. even worse than the van gaal drama last year. he's a bad coach. and he needs somebody like joachim löw to achieve success like he did in 2006 with the german national team

2nd place is the worst season ever? Lol you are butt hurt.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Blablurn said:
when u get beaten 5:1 against wolfsburg u know something is wrong

You're just full of yourself.

Bayern’s record during the 2008/2009 UEFA Champions League was 6 wins, 3 draws, and 1 loss (to Barcelona). In the Bundesliga, Bayern was only 3 points out of first place, with 5 matches to play, when Klinsmann was replaced as head coach due to a difference of opinion with the club’s Board of Directors

Lol and 2nd place is all due to Heynckes?

Bayern fans are spending more time talking about the past when I'm surprised they aren't whining about the 3rd place season that just ended.

daoster

There are definitely questions about whether or not Klinsmann is the real deal...the biggest mark against him is that....he's been out of the coaching scene since the Bayern stint. If he was as good as some sectors of the US fan claim, then he'd be getting offers left and right.

And yes, while it has the cliche thing to say that Low was solely responsible for the success of Germany in 2006, I find that a very hard thing to swallow...

You're saying the head coach of a team had absolutely nothing to do with their success? No doubt Low played a part of it, but...it was Klinsmann who chose Low as an assistant and at the end of the day, it was Klinsmann who was manning the team.

TeegsD

So I'm not happy with this appointment. Not the biggest fan of Klinsmann. But maybe, just maybe he will bring some good ideas to this national squad. Hopefully.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
There are definitely questions about whether or not Klinsmann is the real deal...the biggest mark against him is that....he's been out of the coaching scene since the Bayern stint. If he was as good as some sectors of the US fan claim, then he'd be getting offers left and right.

And yes, while it has the cliche thing to say that Low was solely responsible for the success of Germany in 2006, I find that an very hard thing to swallow...

You're saying the head coach of a team had absolutely nothing to do with their success? No doubt Low played a part of it, but...it was Klinsmann who chose Low as an assistant and at the end of the day, it was Klinsmann who was manning the team.

While he may not be the answer I just find it ridiculous that people are trying to discredit him for what he has done in the past. People would rather keep Bob Bradley still?

daoster

There is however, something to be said about how being a good national team coach does not necessarily equal being a good club coach and vice versa. Scolari being an example of former and Capello being an example of the latter.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
ElTopo said:
Nevertheless it's not such a bad thing: You hired a visionary. That's probably what he's best at. If you get a good assistant coach, you could get very far. As a club coach however he's...not that great.

If he does get good assistants than tactics won't be a problem. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do to our youth system.

shoplifter

ElTopo said:
Nevertheless it's not such a bad thing: You hired a visionary. That's probably what he's best at. If you get a good assistant coach, you could get very far. As a club coach however he's...not that great.

This is exactly what our program needs at the moment. I think it's a little easier politics-wise on the NT level to be honest.

Being that he favors attacking football, I feel if we move in that direction and are successful (win or lose, just being 'attractive' to watch) it will do a lot for the game here.

Mindlog

shoplifter said:
This is exactly what our program needs at the moment. I think it's a little easier politics-wise on the NT level to be honest.

Being that he favors attacking football, I feel if we move in that direction and are successful (win or lose, just being 'attractive' to watch) it will do a lot for the game here.
Well said.

The Bradley era had its moments. Let's see what Klinsmann can do.

Subitai

So, they finally decided to give Klinsmann most of the control he was looking for. The thing is, he has a long term plan and I don't know if he'll be able to stick around to see all of his projects to improve talent development pay off.

shoplifter

Subitai said:
So, they finally decided to give Klinsmann most of the control he was looking for. The thing is, he has a long term plan and I don't know if he'll be able to stick around to see all of projects to improve talent development pay off.

I could totally see him coaching this cycle, then moving to a 'Director of Player Development' type role.

This move isn't about winning anything over the next three years. If we do, fantastic, but it's all about developing the program for 2018/2022. Anything extra that Jürgen can squeeze out of our existing player pool (or gems he finds in the rough) is a bonus.

alphaNoid

Banned
Blablurn said:
when u get beaten 5:1 against wolfsburg u know something is wrong
The announcement is really taking a toll on you it seems.
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom