• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daegan

This is still my favorite goal of the past five years. I think more than any other one it shows what we can do when our gameplan works.

I really hope nobody puts too much stock in what happens on the 10th - not because I don't think we'll win but because the guy gets around two weeks to prepare.

Tristam

Lots of love for Low. I wasn't impressed with Low's direction for the German side until 2010. Yeah, you guys got the finals in Euro, but you did it looking scarcely better than you did in 2002. Then you had a few new faces and kicked ass in the WC.

Re: That disaster article:
He was the first manager to pressure high up the field against Argentina and make it difficult for Lionel Messi to get service instead of dropping deeper to double mark the Argentine wonder.

I'm not sure which game he's referencing, but if he's talking about that 1-1 draw we luckily managed in that March friendly, we were fucking abysmal. And Messi roved about the field freely. That game convinced me that Oneywu had no place in our national squad--there were a thousand times when he had time to distribute the ball but instead just booted it back to the Argentine defense. He should have been subbed out at half-time.

xbhaskarx

It's ridiculous to draw so many conclusions about Klinsmann's coaching abilities from his stint at Bayern Munich considering how long he was in charge and how political things are over there.

Blablurn said:
so called fresh ideas brought us the worst season ever.

Well then that settles it, because no one who has ever been fired for having a bad season has ever gone on to have success elsewhere.

damneduniteddvd.jpg

sazabirules said:
Bayern’s record during the 2008/2009 UEFA Champions League was 6 wins, 3 draws, and 1 loss (to Barcelona). In the Bundesliga, Bayern was only 3 points out of first place, with 5 matches to play, when Klinsmann was replaced as head coach due to a difference of opinion with the club’s Board of Directors

lol yeah that is dreadful, 3 points out of first place. Worst. Season. Ever.

Tristam said:
L That game convinced me that Oneywu had no place in our national squad--there were a thousand times when he had time to distribute the ball but instead just booted it back to the Argentine defense. He should have been subbed out at half-time.

Which of our mobile center backs with good distribution skills would you have replaced him with?

daoster

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Klinsman is going to kill the MLS. :( Take players away from their academies and stuff.

I don't think he will. Whatever you may say about how qualified Klinsmann may or may not be, he at the very least has a good understanding of the MLS (and the US Soccer system) and what it means for US Soccer as a whole.

xbhaskarx

U-18s won 2-1

U-18 #USMNT XI v Georgia: Kempin; McCrary, Okwuonu, Gallego, Ambrose; Robinson, Rendon, Packwood; Kiesewetter, Salgado, Villarreal

U-18 #USMNT Goal McCrary in the 39th! Villarreal free kick after foul from about 25 yards out to give the US a 1-0 lead!

Goal kiesewetter in the 58th! Salgado assisting with the cross and it's 2-0 U-18 #USMNT

That's it! The U-18 #USMNT takes third place at the 2011 Milk Cup with a 2-1 W vs. Georgia

Nesotenso

This Bradley firing came out of the blue and just before the Mexico friendly. Sunil must have been planning this for sometime and was probably trying to coax a postie answer from Klinsman before getting rid of Bradley.

I think Bradley's tenure was a successful one on the whole. Here's hoping Klinsman takes US soccer to new heights but I hope he gets a fair crack at it for at least 5 years or longer.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
SuperSonic1305 said:
Klinsmann was an adviser for Toronto FC.

ENJOY!

Like I've said before, no amount of advising could stop them from being garbage. They've already added at least 11 new guys since the season started.

daoster

Pros and Cons of Klinsmann:

Klinsmann's skill set is better suited to international management

That is not to say, however, that the 47-year-old Klinsmann could not do very good job in charge of the U.S. team, on the contrary: it's quite possible that his unique skill sets are much more effective in international soccer.

and this!

U.S. players that may be helped, and hurt, by Klinsmann's hiring

Michael Bradley. This may seem counterintuitive. After all, seeing his father dismissed can't be easy. But the ceaseless claims of nepotism, hollow as they were, probably weren't easy for Michael Bradley, either. He earned his time with the national team, but always had that "coach's son" label hanging awkwardly around his neck. Well, that's gone, and that might be somewhat liberating. Now if people want to moan and groan about Michael Bradley's place on the team, they'll have to come up with a better reason for it.

Press conference is on Monday right? I wonder if roster for the upcoming game will be released as well. This shall be interesting, to say the least.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Goff had said the roster would be released around the 4th.

Today Josh Gatt scored his first goal for Molde. He is still filling in at right back due to injuries but should be playing in his normal position soon.

daoster

World Cup news...

USA is in group with Jamaica and winners of Groups E and F, likely to be Guatemala and Haiti.

Mexico is in group with Costa Rica and most likely El Salvador & T&T

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Nice day for USMNT.

-Donovan scored twice
-Gatt scored
-Gomez scored
-Bunbury scored

I wonder if Joe Corona will play for the US or Mexico.

daoster

Green Coach Takes Over Red, White and Blue

It would be reductive and wrong to simply write Klinsmann off as a Forrest Gump figure who hit the jackpot in 2006 and happens to interview very well—at least with the USSF bosses. He boasts a rare skill set: He's somebody who worked at the highest levels in Europe and also has a keen understanding of U.S. culture, soccer and otherwise.

Yet his body of work is not enough to view his appointment as much more than a gamble. And while Germany's leap of faith in appointing him in 2004 paid off, it's worth noting that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

EliCash

So it looks like Alejandro Bedoya will be joining Rangers in January for free to become the 4th US player to play for the team. What's US gaf's opinion of him? I haven't seen that much of him personally.

daoster

Did anybody watch it? Was anything of value said? Judging by the twitter...it was amazingly short and nothing of value was said at all.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Did anybody watch it? Was anything of value said? Judging by the twitter...it was amazingly short and nothing of value was said at all.

I watched it. It was standard PR stuff. I think the roster will be announced Wednesday. I like that he said he won't immediately choose a permanent staff and will be looking for the best assistant coaches. Luckily we don't have a competitive match for a long time.

daoster

Klinsmann and the Meaning of Soccer

Here is what makes being the coach of the U.S. national soccer team different than coaching any other sport in the country:

In any other sport, coaches view their jobs and measure their success in very simple terms – the idea is to win more often than not by molding the skills and talents of the players on their roster with their personal style and approach to the game.

If only soccer were that simple. If it is, Jurgen Klinsmann, the former German star who held his first news conference as coach of the U.S. men’s soccer team Monday morning in New York, certainly doesn’t see it that way.

xbhaskarx

7dcd2dd4-a7dc-481d-a32d-3a6f38db4a3d.Large.jpg

For anyone who missed it, ussoccer now has video of the Klinsmann press conference and an interview.
edit: youtube
Jurgen Klinsmann Introduced at Press Conference in New York
1-on-1 Interview with Jurgen Klinsmann

Josh Gatt's goal
another video of Gatt running by some dudes

Herculez Gomez's goal

Brad Rusin

Jonathan Spector is close to signing a two-year deal with Birmingham City

USA midfielder Holden back in training
Holden posted on Twitter that he began training on Monday, his 26th birthday.

''Best bday present 2 be kicking balls and running outside after 5 months out! Not long now!'' he said on Twitter.

stuholden Stuart Holden
Lol let me clarify on the Training part... Not in full training, just doing work on the grass, another step forward! Calm down calm down :)

Seen a few articles saying I have resumed full training, is not true! Progressing in the right direction, u will be the first to kno!!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jonathan Spector signed a two year with Birmingham City in the Championship. He'll get consistent playing time, which I'm happy about. It'll be interesting to see if he continues to shine as a central midfielder or if he fills in on defense.

Lichaj most likely won't play against Mexico after picking up a hip injury during preseason.

There's a rumor of a game against Ecuador in CT on October 12th.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Edu had a sick assist against Malmo in Champions League. Rangers are down to 9 men now lol.

It was a hilarious match. Rangers were playing like brutes and deserved the two red cards. Malmo had a man send off after a Rangers player embellished some contact. Seconds later Naismith kicked the ball hard and it hit the Malmo guy in the nuts. He could have been sent off for that.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), José Torres (Pachuca)
FORWARDS (5): Freddy Adu (Benfica), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

DominoKid

sazabirules said:
DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), José Torres (Pachuca)
FORWARDS (5): Freddy Adu (Benfica), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

pooooooooooooor quuuuuuuuuuue???

daoster

Some interesting omissions...biggest being Dempsey and Altidore.

and no Gomez.

But Buddle? And Beasley, who's just began playing again after 2 years of basically...not playing.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Some interesting omissions...biggest being Dempsey and Altidore.

and no Gomez.

But Buddle? And Beasley, who's just began playing again after 2 years of basically...not playing.

Altidore is still not fully recovered. I think he began training again last week. Dempsey needs to worry about impressing his new manager.

-Hoping Gomez gets called up for CR friendly
-Beasley will be great if he somehow regain his pre-injury form.

With so many central midfielders and wingers, Klinsmann might be doing a 4-3-3?

daoster

If Beasley were to recover to pre-injury form, it wouldn't be in time for this game.

But I digress.

“One of the goals of the roster for this game and moving forward is to create competition at each position,” said Klinsmann. “There are many players who are established as well as many players who will get opportunities, and we want there to be a healthy contest for spots on the roster. We will get a good look at where each player is as quickly as we can during the short time in camp, and we will finish with an exciting game against Mexico.”

The roster delivers a combination of experience and youth at virtually every position. In goal, Tim Howard enters with 65 caps to his credit and is joined by 20-year-old Bill Hamid, a U.S. Soccer Development Academy product who was the first D.C. United Academy player to sign with the first team. Two-time World Cup veteran Carlos Bocanegra is just seven games shy of reaching 100 caps. He will patrol the center of the park along with 2010 FIFA World Cup teammate Clarence Goodson, the newly named captain of Brondby in Denmark, and two young players in Tim Ream and Michael Orozco Fiscal. Hannover 96 captain Steve Cherundolo returns after an injury forced him out of the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup final, while fellow Bundesliga-based right back Timmy Chandler is making his second appearance in a national team camp after debuting against Argentina in March. Chivas USA defender Heath Pearce and Edgar Castillo make up the options for the left side of the backline.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...to-Face-Mexico-on-Aug-10-in-Philadelphia.aspx

shoplifter

tumblr_lpa197Br0d1r0ibexo1_500.jpg

unfortunately too true :(

Good callups, given the timeframe JK is limited in who he can call up (ie Clint and Jozy). Nice to see a little fresh blood out there, though Clark is questionable. He probably won't see time.

xbhaskarx

Is Michael Orozco Fiscal any good? Nice to see Bill Hamid getting recognized.

Has Buddle been doing anything of note at Ingolstadt? Why not Gomez instead, he has scored a few goals recently... not sure how Mexico compares to the Bundesliga 2, though.

xbhaskarx

this exchange is really confusing now:
BillHamid28 Bill Hamid
Happiest day of my life
18 hours ago

SoccerInsider Steven Goff
Could only mean 1 thing: USA call-up. Dream come true for 20-yr-old GK. Right, Bill? #usmnt RT @BillHamid28 Happiest day of my life
17 hours ago

BillHamid28 Bill Hamid
@SoccerInsider huh?!! Woah?? Where'd this come from??
17 hours ago

BillHamid28 Bill Hamid
@SoccerInsider I wish bro... But it's a happy day for me due to a long day of bonding and chatting with my father.. Something I've never had
17 hours ago

Adu news and CD9 video:
Video of #dcu Charlie Davies thanking doctors/nurses who treated him in 2009: http://fb.me/19DMzVoxy
16 hours ago

Adu will have new club soon. #MLS not out of question, but Europe seems more likely. Under contract with Benfica. Loan or sale in works
15 hours ago

To answer ?s about Adu: No one in #MLS has his rights; he's been working with trainer in DC since Gold Cup; not returning to Rizespor
15 hours ago

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann's "guest assistants":

Klinsmann's First Coaching Staff

As head coach Jurgen Klinsmann mentioned in his opening press conference, he is planning on bringing in a variety of different coaches for the next few months before settling on his future staff. Here's a brief intro to the first crew:

Martin Vasquez - Vasquez re-unites with Klinsmann after serving as an assistant coach at Bayern Munich. Currently he is the head coach and Director of Soccer Operations for the U.S. Soccer Development Academy U-16 and U-18 teams of the Real Salt Lake AZ Academy. One of only two players to represent both the United States and Mexico at the international level, he was the head coach of Chivas USA in 2010.

Thomas Dooley - A former U.S. captain and National Soccer Hall of Fame member who played in two World Cups and competed against Klinsmann in the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France, the German-American had a long professional career that included a Bundesliga and German Cup title with Kaiserslautern and a UEFA Cup title with Schalke 04. A member of the MLS Best XI as part of the Columbus Crew in 1997 and 1998, he went on to coach FC Saarbrucken in Germany before returning to the United States where he was part of the coaching staff for Pateadores that just captured the 2011 Development Academy U-17/18 championship.

Tab Ramos - Born in Uruguay, the legendary midfielder for the U.S. National Team played in three World Cups en route to earning 81 caps for the United States. Known for his flair and creativity on the ball, the Hall of Famer played professionally in Spain and Mexico before becoming the first ever signing for Major League Soccer, where he spent six seasons with the MetroStars in New York. Ramos founded NJSA 04, a club which is a member of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy.

Mike Curry - A goalkeeper coach with more than 37 years experience, Curry has trained goalkeepers at the club, state and college levels since 1974. A member of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Goalkeeper Institute staff, he teaches courses at the regional and national levels and spent eight years with U.S. Soccer Development Academy club FC DELCO. Prior to his coaching career, he played collegiately at then Division II powerhouse University of Baltimore.

Mark Verstegen - One of the foremost leaders and innovators in athletic training, Mark Verstegen is owner and president of Athletes' Performance, which provides athletes with cutting-edge training based on the latest sports science. Vestergen handled the fitness preparations for the German National Team prior to the 2006 FIFA World Cup in which Klinsmann led the team to a third-place finish. Named the Director of Performance for the NFLPA in 2002, he is the author of Core Performance, which reached the top 25 on Amazon within six weeks of its release and has sold more than 100,000 copies.

xbhaskarx

For the new page:

As head coach Jurgen Klinsmann mentioned in his opening press conference, he is planning on bringing in a variety of different coaches for the next few months before settling on his future staff. Here's a brief intro to the first crew:

Martin Vasquez - Vasquez re-unites with Klinsmann after serving as an assistant coach at Bayern Munich. Currently he is the head coach and Director of Soccer Operations for the U.S. Soccer Development Academy U-16 and U-18 teams of the Real Salt Lake AZ Academy. One of only two players to represent both the United States and Mexico at the international level, he was the head coach of Chivas USA in 2010.

Thomas Dooley - A former U.S. captain and National Soccer Hall of Fame member who played in two World Cups and competed against Klinsmann in the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France, the German-American had a long professional career that included a Bundesliga and German Cup title with Kaiserslautern and a UEFA Cup title with Schalke 04. A member of the MLS Best XI as part of the Columbus Crew in 1997 and 1998, he went on to coach FC Saarbrucken in Germany before returning to the United States where he was part of the coaching staff for Pateadores that just captured the 2011 Development Academy U-17/18 championship.

Tab Ramos - Born in Uruguay, the legendary midfielder for the U.S. National Team played in three World Cups en route to earning 81 caps for the United States. Known for his flair and creativity on the ball, the Hall of Famer played professionally in Spain and Mexico before becoming the first ever signing for Major League Soccer, where he spent six seasons with the MetroStars in New York. Ramos founded NJSA 04, a club which is a member of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy.

Mike Curry - A goalkeeper coach with more than 37 years experience, Curry has trained goalkeepers at the club, state and college levels since 1974. A member of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Goalkeeper Institute staff, he teaches courses at the regional and national levels and spent eight years with U.S. Soccer Development Academy club FC DELCO. Prior to his coaching career, he played collegiately at then Division II powerhouse University of Baltimore.

Mark Verstegen - One of the foremost leaders and innovators in athletic training, Mark Verstegen is owner and president of Athletes' Performance, which provides athletes with cutting-edge training based on the latest sports science. Vestergen handled the fitness preparations for the German National Team prior to the 2006 FIFA World Cup in which Klinsmann led the team to a third-place finish. Named the Director of Performance for the NFLPA in 2002, he is the author of Core Performance, which reached the top 25 on Amazon within six weeks of its release and has sold more than 100,000 copies.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
Gatt scored again for Molde.

Nice goal

Nice!
Although I am a Gatt fan I thought it might be a bit premature that Bradley almost called him up for the Gold Cup, but after goals in consecutive games maybe he is ready. Still, it's probably better that he's with his team right now, hopefully he gets called up for the Belgium friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom