• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristam

Pre said:
Torres is a human turnover machine.

What? Besides getting bumped in the back that led to the throw-in 3 minutes ago, he's the only one who has shown the slightest propensity for possession.

Pre

Tristam said:
What? Besides getting bumped in the back that led to the throw-in 3 minutes ago, he's the only one who has shown the slightest propensity for possession.

I'm not seeing it at all. He tries to get too cute with the ball.

Nesotenso

one man up top is not going to be enough. How did Buddle get in again? Does he get sufficient playing time at his club, which I believe is a 2nd division German side?

Tristam

Pre said:
I'm not seeing it at all. He tries to get too cute with the ball.

Man, if anything I think his weakness is that he hasn't shown much creativity--although neither has anyone else. When Torres receives the ball, he usually turns from the Mexican defender and passes behind him to the nearest teammate. Almost everyone else just kicks it up the field, which I assume brought about the poster above's comment that we look like fucking clowns out there. We can't retain possession of the ball for shit.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Torres is playing out of position. He shouldn't be a winger. If Jones was playing better, Bradley wouldn't have to track back so much.

Torres and Buddle have shown signs of promise. Donovan definitely still has gas left in the tank - he's had a few nifty touches. Everyone else has ranged from poor to unremarkable - Jones (has done nothing) and Cherundolo (not fit) need to take a seat.

Pre

Tristam said:
Man, if anything I think his weakness is that he hasn't shown much creativity--although neither has anyone else. When Torres receives the ball, he usually turns from the Mexican defender and passes behind him to the nearest teammate. Almost everyone else just kicks it up the field, which I assume brought about the poster above's comment that we look like fucking clowns out there. We can't retain possession of the ball for shit.

Well, we can't sit back and be relaxed on the ball when Mexico is always right there to take away possession. Thus, Torres back-passes and then someone has to boot it up field or risk Mexico making a jailbreak for goal.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jorge is such a homer. Darke and Harkes admit the other team is good while he just keeps going on and on about Mexico. It was nice when he left the booth.

Tristam

Pre said:
Well, we can't sit back and be relaxed on the ball when Mexico is always right there to take away possession. Thus, Torres back-passes and then someone has to boot it up field or risk Mexico making a jailbreak for goal.

Mexico wouldn't be right there to take away possession if we had proper off-the-ball movement, which I think Torres is also doing better than everyone else. I completely disagree that someone HAS to boot it up or risk Mexico making a jailbreak for goal. False dichotomy.

EDIT: And we're still just booting it....

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
xbhaskarx said:
good: positivity
bad: lowering expectations to Special Olympics levels

It's just a friendly, dude. And it's his very first match with the USMNT. Against their archrivals.

Expectations are set unrealistically high. You remind me of Mexican fans.

Tristam

Whoa, I missed that. WTF just happened?

EDIT: Torres did fuck up there, but he got the ball back quickly with what I thought clearly was NOT a foul...

Regulus Tera said:
It's just a friendly, dude. And it's his very first match with the USMNT. Against their archrivals.

Expectations are set unrealistically high. You remind me of Mexican fans.

I don't think it's an overreaction. I don't mind that much that we're trailing, but we're trailing and we look terrible. We can't keep possession, we have no attacking options whatsoever. We had 0 shots in the first half

I was expecting to get beaten, but I wasn't expecting to get embarrassed, as it looks like we are.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Amibguous Cad said:
I don't think it's an overreaction. I don't mind that much that we're trailing, but we're trailing and we look terrible. We can't keep possession, we have no attacking options whatsoever. We had 0 shots in the first half

I was expecting to get beaten, but I wasn't expecting to get embarrassed, as it looks like we are.

The Mexican team is a project reaching completion (we still need replacements for some key players). The United States team is starting back from scratch. What's happening on the field is just a reflection of that.

Give your team time. You cannot expect to have Barcelona-like possession just after three training sessions.

xbhaskarx

I love Darke's comments:

Agudelo for Buddle "made no impact at all, truth to tell"
Shea for Jones "who for me has been desperately disappointing"

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I'm getting tired of Agudelo's fucking ballhogging, always trying to dribble out of a situation and always ends up giving up the goal kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom