• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

Slizz said:
Yup and everyone here including me was eating it up. Problem is that was 1 game out of a 4 year sample size( I know it wasn't the only game where we preformed good out of the gate) and we still ended up losing in the end(like every other hot start to a match we've had it seems)
Going for that third goal led to us getting scored on... Being attacking is good and all, but I'd rather herr Klinsmann focus on something more important... Like communication between our defense... (at least for this game against mexico)

daegan

xbhaskarx said:
I have a feeling the suit people are going to be disappointed...

As someone else said too, it's likely because of the Nike contract. Just put a damn swoosh on his jacket or something f it.

Slizz

daoster said:
Going for that third goal led to us getting scored on... Being attacking is good and all, but I'd rather herr Klinsmann focus on something more important... Like communication between our defense... (at least for this game against mexico)

That seems like a specific problem, that should be focused on by the GK coaches and Defensive coaches. Klinsmanns best contribution most likely won't be on the field, it'll be the youth systems.

Whatev, its a friendly, its Mexico, I wanna win, I wanna win by a lot.

daoster

Slizz said:
That seems like a specific problem, that should be focused on by the GK coaches and Defensive coaches. Klinsmanns best contribution most likely won't be on the field, it'll be the youth systems.

Whatev, its a friendly, its Mexico, I wanna win, I wanna win by a lot.
So why is Klinsmann head coach and not in Reyna's position...? Granted Klinsmann will have a say on the younger teams, but Klinsmann was hired for the USMNT, and as such, his goal should be to better the USMNT, not the youth team...

sazabirules said:
I don't see Agudelo starting tonight. While talented, I think US fans overrate him. The GC showed he's not effective for 90 minutes.

None of our forwards/strikers are. I don't think he is overrated compared to the rest of our current depth.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
So why is Klinsmann head coach and not in Reyna's position...? Granted Klinsmann will have a say on the younger teams, but Klinsmann was hired for the USMNT, and as such, his goal should be to better the USMNT, not the youth team...

His goal is to improve both.

2 Slice Toaster said:
None of our forwards/strikers are. I don't think he is overrated compared to the rest of our current depth.

He gets pushed around too easily. I'd rather see Buddle or Donovan up top.

daoster

sazabirules said:
His goal is to improve both.

He gets pushed around too easily. I'd rather see Buddle or Donovan up top.
No... His goal should be USMNT... he may have influence on the youth team in having a big say on who the coaches for the U23, u20, u17 coaches will be... But the job of youth development should largely be left to the youth technical director... Not the USMNT coach...

Not to say that he can't work with Claudio and he's indicated that they will work together, and but as far as "goal"? I don't think so...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The philosophy/style of play he wants our team to undertake should also take place at the youth level. He already has said how much of a role Reyna has in this.

Robbie Findley had a decent game for Forest yesterday in the League Cup. He had a goal, a disallowed goal, and an assist. He also scored in the shootout. I don't expect to see him anytime soon with the USMNT but I'm glad he is doing well.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
Robbie Findley had a decent game for Forest yesterday in the League Cup. He had a goal, a disallowed goal, and an assist. He also scored in the shootout. I don't expect to see him anytime soon with the USMNT but I'm glad he is doing well.

Who could have seen this coming... to see fans actually praising Robbie Findley, go here.

Heretic

xbhaskarx said:
Who could have seen this coming... to see fans actually praising Robbie Findley, go here.
After his appearance, or lack there of, in the world cup, he's going to have to be consistent to win this guy *points to self* over again! He's fast and created opportunities because of that but he can't finish.

Clydefrog

xbhaskarx said:

Haha, so weird to see those words! Bizarro world

... then I saw this image as one of the members signatures:
bikini_bottle_opener.gif

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Ives is spreading a rumor that Ream won't dress tonight due to injury/fitness. I like his speculated Boca/Pearce pairing, which he suggests due to Pearce's speed.

alphaNoid

Banned
Headed to my wifes folks tonight for the MNT vs Mexico game
3AQmK.gif
. They are big soccer fans and a family member actually coaches U18 that is affiliated with the Galaxy so I'm starting to get into the sport much much more (again).

Lets see if Klinsmann did anything really in the few short days. USA USA

xbhaskarx

whoa:

Going Old School with Jersey Numbers
When then lineups are posted later this evening, fans will notice a distinct pattern to the jersey numbers. Going back to an historical tradition, Jurgen Klinsmann will assign the numbers 1-11 to the starters each game, and 12-18 for the reserves.

Numbers will be only thing printed on the jersey, which means no names on the back. One of the main goals is to make sure that everyone is focused on the most important thing on the uniform - the crest representing the United States.

xbhaskarx

This is a bit confusing: the game is 9-11:30 on ESPN2, but the pregame is 8:30-9 on ESPNews.

And ESPNU is showing the Brazil U-20 World Cup game at the same time...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Howard; Cherundolo, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Jones, Beckerman; Donovan, Bradley, Torres; Buddle

The pregame may be on the other channel due to the Little League game going on.

sazabirules said:
Howard; Cherundolo, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Jones, Beckerman; Donovan, Bradley, Torres; Buddle

The pregame may on the other channel due to the Little League game going on.

never change ESPN haha

Tristam

Does ESPN not have a live stream available?

EDIT: I'm glad to see Torres getting some love from Klinsmann. I'm a fan and I hope he has a great game tonight.

They can't hold down the next American superstar, Brek Shea, he wants to be known on the global stage.

Hopefully the British dude isn't commentating, he keeps saying Wan Aguedelo.

Clydefrog

Rafa=FedKilla said:
They can't hold down the next American superstar, Brek Shea, he wants to be known on the global stage.

Hopefully the British dude isn't commentating, he keeps saying Wan Aguedelo.

It'll probably be him and (moans) John Harkes.

Uuggghhh they need stop this thing where a man with a British accent gives them instant credibility, same for individual teams that follow it too. At least have one guy with a Mexican accent.

daoster

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Uuggghhh they need stop this thing where a man with a British accent gives them instant credibility, same for individual teams that follow it too. At least have one guy with a Mexican accent.
That man happens to be Ian Darke and will be forever apart of USA soccer lore

Rafa=FedKilla said:

I know this isn't a dig at Arlo White, but shame on you if it is, he's probably the best commentator covering American soccer at all.

Tristam

Surprised to see Adu not get called up. Due to other unfortunate obligations, I only got to see parts of the Gold Cup final, but from what I saw and by all accounts I read he played damn well.

EDIT: Donde esta Dos Santos? I may be behind on current soccer events...Is it just 'cuz it's a friendly?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Tristam said:
Surprised to see Adu not get called up. Due to other unfortunate obligations, I only got to see parts of the Gold Cup final, but from what I saw and by all accounts I read he played damn well.

EDIT: Donde esta Dos Santos? I may be behind on current soccer events...Is it just 'cuz it's a friendly?

Gio is on the bench. I'm assuming Adu didn't make the bench because Benfica hasn't even allowed him to train with the local team. His fitness is probably terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom