• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

kassatsu

Banned
tACC5.jpg

Tristam

Thoughts:

-Torres was poor in the second half
-Everyone else was pretty good (well, past 60 minutes or so)
-Donovan was our man of the match IMO
-Closely followed by Shea. He gets a criticism immunity card, valid for one game
-Torrado. Yellow card. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

andycapps

They seem to have mostly good pieces out there, there is a little bit of dead weight on the US team.. Cut that, find the right players to replace them and could have a really solid team.

Clydefrog

I have to admit, Klinsmann called it at half-time. They kept working and tired out the Mexicans. I liked what I saw from the subs. I'm just happy we got a goal. I wouldn't have cared if we lost tonight unless we lost without scoring.

Donovan: "I think, uh... the ref maybe wasn't up to speed tonight" heh

and, finally:
NYP_280_1064498a.jpg

Much better stuff in the second half. Our "peak" players aren't that good; the class of players that are 24-28 aren't very good, but our youth look really promising.

Heretic

sixghost said:
Regardless of the result, that second half makes me much more optimistic for the future of the USMT.
Definitely. Donovan hit beast mode towards the end. One more touch than needed in that corner play but retardo still had time to put up a great shot and screwed it up.

Clydefrog said:
I have to admit, Klinsmann called it at half-time. They kept working and tired out the Mexicans.

You didn't tire out Mexico. It was more of a lack of cohesion from all the subs being used that made Mexico look like crap.

I liked the substitutions of Brek and Agudelo. Agudelo can at least hold the ball up, and Brek was creative in his time out there.

Good game overall.

Pre

Heretic said:
Its the history that he has...

Sure, he was bad in the World Cup, but you can't forget how strong he was in the Confederations Cup. The guy shouldn't be written off forever because of a bad run of form.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Heretic said:
Its the history that he has...

Keep complaining about a performance that was over a year ago and had nothing to do with the five minutes Ricardo was on the field. If you're going to start about one player, why not complain about all the players with abysmal performances in the Gold Cup or WC? I personally think Rogers is an average player but he has had his moments. Delivering the corner to Bornstein against CR and now this.

It is too bad Donovan didn't play like that the whole match.

good turnaround by the US and good result

PROS
+Donovan was a beast tonight in all phases
+Brek Shea is a monster, kid is the future
+Agudelo was impressive as always
+My man ex-Philadelphia Union player Orozco-Fiscal did well in the back, despite idiots playing bad balls to him that forced him into pressure situations all night long
+Beckerman had a good showing on both ends
+Bum ass Robbie Rogers actually made the most of his time on the field...shocking

CONS
-Castillo wins the Jonathan Bornstein Worst Defender of the Game award, he was awful with everything, lets send him back to Mexico and forget he exists
-Germany Jones has an impressive streak going of 3 or 4 caps where he's been absolutely useless
-Buddle is not a difference-maker despite the formation
-Michael Bradley had an off game by his standards, was a little lazy on the goal conceded although it was fluky
-Torres showed flashes offensively but had some really really poor turnovers that could have killed us, still like him though

Heretic

sazabirules said:
Keep complaining about a performance that was over a year ago and had nothing to do with the five minutes Ricardo was on the field.

It is too bad Donovan didn't play like that the whole match.
Happened a year ago but his play hasn't improved. Yes he didn't play that much but why should we judge him differently?

We can give him the benefit of the doubt...

andycapps

KidA Seven said:
You didn't tire out Mexico. It was more of a lack of cohesion from all the subs being used that made Mexico look like crap.

I liked the substitutions of Brek and Agudelo. Agudelo can at least hold the ball up, and Brek was creative in his time out there.

Good game overall.

Agreed, we didn't wear them out.. That's a good talking point, but we started playing more aggressively and got more mobile players out there like Agudelo, Brek, and Rodgers.. I agree with the commentator that just said Donovan was playing well the whole game, as always. The first half though there would be one US player taking on 4-5 Mexican players..

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Heretic said:
Happened a year ago but his play hasn't improved. Yes he didn't play that much but why should we judge him differently?

We can give him the benefit of the doubt...

I hate the guy as much as you do. :p I just don't have a real opinion of him tonight because he wasn't on for long enough.

Shea and Gatt as the wingers of the future?

Heretic

ngower said:
Half passion, half pressure. Love it.

sazabirules said:
I hate the guy as much as you do. :p I just don't have a real opinion of him tonight because he wasn't on for long enough.

Shea and Gatt as the wingers of the future?
HE SHOULD HAVE SCORED WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE!!!

=p

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Beckerman was the most effective dmid since Bradley kept having to cover for Jones and play out of position.

-Castillo was our worst defender
-Orozco impressed me

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
KidA Seven said:

Chepo did the same thing in the games before Gold Cup. He put Hobbit and Aguilar in the game against New Zealand and our attack started to look sloppy. The diference this time around is that the US managed to capitalise on our defence substitutions as well. Not to mention that Salcido's age is starting to show.

Chepo obviously used this match as a test run of sorts. He was not pleased with the result, but that was the payoff for taking that risk. I rather he does this on meaningless friendlies so that he can better prepare official matches.

xbhaskarx

Clydefrog said:

Brek Shea substitution can induce panic

Amibguous Cad said:
Much better stuff in the second half. Our "peak" players aren't that good; the class of players that are 24-28 aren't very good, but our youth look really promising.

I think that's because of the changing fortunes of MLS plus maybe some bad luck? The older generation of players (Howard, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Donovan, Onyewu, Beasley, Convey, Beckerman, etc.) panned out for the most part, then the Bradley, Holden, Adu (young for his age group, basing this on when his pro career started) generation did not. I'm not sure if that's because MLS was at a low point in the early 2000s, injuries (Davies sticks out), or many just not living up to expectations (aside from Adu: Rogers, Feilhaber, Spector, Gaven, Pearce, Bornstein, Szetela lol, etc.) but we simply didn't get enough good replacement pieces out of that age group. The current 18-23 year olds do look far more promising though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Amibguous Cad said:
I love it. He looked like a kid in a candy store on the sidelines half the time.

Regulus, what did you think of Mexico's performance?

We could have killed the game in the first half had Gio started instead of Sinha -he lost the ball too many times, not to mention that Gio brings us verticality. Our subs robbed us of any momentum. We lost depth with Peralta and Barrera's substitutions, and Salcido should have been replaced with Moreno instead of taking off Rafa. We desperately need a replacement for Castro and Torrado, too. They looked spotty in the Gold Cup final and they are obviously not National Team material.

Ochoa had a great game. The tie is a fair result.

xbhaskarx said:
Brek Shea substitution can induce panic

I think that's because of the changing fortunes of MLS plus maybe some bad luck? The older generation of players (Howard, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Donovan, Onyewu, Beasley, Convey, Beckerman, etc.) panned out for the most part, then the Bradley, Holden, Adu (young for his age group, basing this on when his pro career started) generation did not. I'm not sure if that's because MLS was at a low point in the early 2000s, injuries (Davies sticks out), or many just not living up to expectations (aside from Adu: Rogers, Feilhaber, Spector, Gaven, Pearce, Bornstein, Szetela lol, etc.) but we simply didn't get enough good replacement pieces out of that age group. The current 18-23 year olds do look far more promising though.

I don't have the best understanding of that cohort of players, but I'm inclined to blame the mass exodus from MLS. A ton of those players left before they were ready and wound up getting not a whole lot of attention or playing time from foreign coaching staffs. Our most successful generation of players stayed in MLS until they hit their peak years and then plied their trade in the big leagues. I'm hoping Shea, Agudelo et all do the same.

Then again, it's not like Agudelo is getting a ton of playing time at New York, either. Iwish we could arrange him a transfer to a team that needs a target forward (like, say, Seattle? =P)

I had forgotten about Davies; you're right that that generation looks a whole lot better if he doesn't get into that car wreck. Maybe he can still turn it around.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Amibguous Cad said:
Then again, it's not like Agudelo is getting a ton of playing time at New York, either. Iwish we could arrange him a transfer to a team that needs a target forward (like, say, Seattle? =P)

Don't you dare.
LLShC.gif

Crisis

Banned
My quick, personal thoughts on this:

- First half was hard to watch. I don't blame anyone in particular for the Mexico goal. It was actually one of the best goals I've seen from them, and one of those things that happens.

- Torres was not good at all. I don't know if he is confused about the new assignments he has or what. He made a lot of big mistakes. He deserved a yellow card at one point in the match and didn't get it. Mexico got a free kick for it, but I would have carded him for it.

- First half saw an incredible amount of turnovers by us. I am surprised there was only one goal. We had trouble just moving the ball around, and I'm honestly not sure what the issue was there.

- One thing that Klinnsmann said that I sincerely agreed with at the halftime conversation was that the US looked FAR more aggressive than we have in a long time, and I believe that made all the difference. We never stopped being aggressive. We were sloppy, but still aggressive. Those saves by all the players in the backfield were impressive to watch, especially the one Bradley had.

- The substitutes were absolutely masterful. Shea started rough, but he turned out to be fantastic. I don't understand how he was taller than almost everyone on the field, and couldn't get a single header instead of a Mexican player. Rogers was brilliant and he demonstrated SUPREME mastery of "being in the right place at the right time". Agudelo had some young-guy mistakes, and I think demonstrated why he's really really good but not ready to be a starter yet.

- Landon Donovan turned on BEAST MODE in the last 25 minutes or so.

- THAT WAS A FUCKING RED CARD AND YOU KNOW IT.

- Klinnsmann never had a down spirit, even when everything looked horrible. That kind of confidence in himself and his team is somewhat inspiring. As much as I appreciate Bob Bradley's efforts, it was nice to see a coach that wasn't afraid to make necessary substitutions.

Amibguous Cad said:

I am interested in what you have to say and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Solid second half, Shea, Agudelo, and Rogers in particular looked strong off the bench. Donovan was a beast as usual.

I totally agree with Klinnsman that the goal was just one of those goals that happens and wasn't really any sort of failure, particularly on Bradley's part. Dude manages to get his foot up and at that ball around him like that, get an amazing lucky touch on it, not much Bradley could have done

alphaNoid

Banned
daoster said:
Also, fuck ESPN2 for fucking showing a fucking Little League Baseball game.

FUCK THEM.
Coverage had switched to regular ESPN until the LL game ended, then it cut back to ESPN2. Anyways, guys ... WTF at that yellow card at the end? Shit was a crazzzzy bad call :/ Game changer for sure... I was peaved.

Crisis

Banned
alphaNoid said:
Coverage had switched to regular ESPN until the LL game ended, then it cut back to ESPN2. Anyways, guys ... WTF at that yellow card at the end? Shit was a crazzzzy bad call :/ Game changer for sure... I was peaved.

If you're a Mexico fan, that's more of a game-saver.

daoster

Rewatching the game on ESPN3.com (watched it on Univision at a bar with absolutely no sound)....whats up with having 3 announcers?

sixghost

TheVisualizer said:
good turnaround by the US and good result

PROS
+Donovan was a beast tonight in all phases
+Brek Shea is a monster, kid is the future
+Agudelo was impressive as always
+My man ex-Philadelphia Union player Orozco-Fiscal did well in the back, despite idiots playing bad balls to him that forced him into pressure situations all night long
+Beckerman had a good showing on both ends
+Bum ass Robbie Rogers actually made the most of his time on the field...shocking

CONS
-Castillo wins the Jonathan Bornstein Worst Defender of the Game award, he was awful with everything, lets send him back to Mexico and forget he exists
-Germany Jones has an impressive streak going of 3 or 4 caps where he's been absolutely useless
-Buddle is not a difference-maker despite the formation
-Michael Bradley had an off game by his standards, was a little lazy on the goal conceded although it was fluky
-Torres showed flashes offensively but had some really really poor turnovers that could have killed us, still like him though
I don't know how much blame you can place on Buddle for not making an impact. The formation for the first 60 wasn't really offering much support. Bradley can't play that CAM/off-striker role, and the whole midfield was just leaving Buddle out to dry. Every time he received the ball it was with his back to the goal with no support.

The entire flow of the game changed when the attack mids changed to Shea-Torres-Donovan and Agudelo actually had players to interchange with. I wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot with a more attack-minded midfield.

Also, I wouldn't mind if that was the last international appearance for Jones, I know he looks the part but he just doesn't fit in. Especially with Holden coming back in the next 3-4 months, there just aren't going to be enough spots in the midfield for him.

platypotamus said:
I am interested in what you have to say and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Solid second half, Shea, Agudelo, and Rogers in particular looked strong off the bench. Donovan was a beast as usual.

I totally agree with Klinnsman that the goal was just one of those goals that happens and wasn't really any sort of failure, particularly on Bradley's part. Dude manages to get his foot up and at that ball around him like that, get an amazing lucky touch on it, not much Bradley could have done

I'm not sure I would call it lucky- I was confused by how nonplussed the announcers seemed. That was a masterful effort, one of the best I've seen all year. If it happened in MLS, it would be a goal of the year candidate for sure, even with the spectacular year we're having for golazos.

Either way, it's great that it required a stroke of luck/genius to beat our defense, and that it was the only goal scored all night. Mexico didn't look as offensively dangerous as they have, but we also didn't have any head-scratching defensive errors either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom