• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
I can't make a joke? Care to comment on the game or are you going to play detective-gaf all the time now?

Which one is the joke?
It wasn't detective GAF they were two comments on the same page so it stuck out, I didn't read a lot of the comments on the previous page until now.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Which one is the joke?
It wasn't detective GAF they were two comments on the same page so it stuck out, I didn't read a lot of the comments on the previous page until now.

Calling him Redcardo. I'm on 50 posts per page so they were on different pages.

aperman

Neo Member
ngower said:
KLINSMANNTANZ.gif.pagespeed.ce.8ysJTTkb-M.gif

Can't stop laughing at the dude behind Klinsmann. Look at the way he rises. lololol

Was watching it on my phone right when the US was about to score and got interrupted by a call from a friend. I flipped shit and quickly turned back to the game to see that gif and knew we scored instantly.

Gamecocks625 said:
someone needs to gif Klinsmann's expression during the national anthem. Dude was so happy.

Yeah I actually laughed a little bit when they showed him. Not because it was a funny reaction for Klinny to have, but because I remembered Bob.. We used to crack jokes about him being a zombie/undead/mannequin.

daoster said:
Adu to the Union

Good to see him back in the US and at a place where he's actually going to get to see action on the field. I think he'd prefer Europe, but it might be better for him right now than never leaving off the bench at where ever Benfica would loan him to next.

At least we scored once. The non-call on what should've been a red was serious bullshit.
Also, I do love Little League baseball, especially in the playoffs. :)

brianmcdoogle said:
Why don't the American players have their names on their shirts?
Because it's about the team and the symbol on the jersey and not the individual players.

brianmcdoogle said:
Why don't the American players have their names on their shirts?

we're Communist. Everyone's the same.

daoster said:
Adu to the Union

great move. The guy needs to get some good playing time. Glad to see him back in the States. Maybe he can hook up with Pele to do more Sierra Mist commercials ;)

xbhaskarx

Attendance wasn't great but it wasn't that bad: 30,138

MLS has an interesting article on the media reaction in Mexico:

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — The Mexican press bemoaned a missed chance for El Tri to strike a psychological blow to herald in the Jurgen Klinsman Era during Wednesday night’s 1-1 draw with the US in Philadelphia.

Mexican legend and former national-team manager Hugo Sánchez had his fair share of battles with the United States in the past, and pulled no punches in stating that he does not believe Klinsmann is the man to improve them.

“I doubt Jurgen Klinsmann will be the solution in terms of [building] a new generation of players in the United States (including three ‘Mexicans’),” he wrote in respected daily El Universal. “I hope the [Mexican] national team can take advantage of this generational decline of our ‘cousins.’”

“Tie with the taste of defeat,” read the headline to Daniel Blumrosen’s match report, also in El Universal, which nicely sums up the general tone of reaction in Mexico.

“Klinsmann took advantage and got a highly valuable tie in the motivational aspect,” wrote Blumrosen. “José Manuel [de la Torre] knows it. His Tricolor missed out on a unique opportunity to destroy emotionally a team that, now more than ever, will show steely resolve.”

Milenio — and most other publications — acknowledged how close the US came to sneaking a win as they drove forward in the last part of the game.

“The Stars and Stripes were constantly searching for the first win of a new era but could not manage it due to the lack of judgment in finishing chances,” read the match report in the national daily.

Wrote Blumrosen: “Tranquility [for Mexico] turned into desperation and confidence into insecurity.”

Of course, the fact the US could not snatch a winner when they were piling on the pressure at the end of the contest means they “have not beaten their hated rival Mexico for two years,” as Diana Pérez pointed out in mediotiempo.com.

In Guadalajara sports daily Récord, Mario Palafox nicely summed up the Mexican reaction which bemoans the fact El Tri couldn’t put the game to bed in the first half but is glad coach de la Torre’s unbeaten start to his reign as Mexico coach continues.

“Chepo’s unbeaten run was in danger in the last minutes (he’s now got nine victories and three ties) but [Mexico] could not extend the run of three victories that the Mexican team had over the Americans, which last happened in 1973. ... The tie represented happiness for Klinsmann, who jumped up after the United States’ goal.”

Just my two cents. The US deserved to win the game. I liked Torres and Orozco. Castillo needs to GTFO, such a horrible POS player. Donovan is beast.

xbhaskarx

Despite ESPN2's late start to its coverage of the USA-Mexico friendly, its broadcast was watched by 1,084,000 viewers.

The game's broadcast began on ESPNews because a Little League Southeast regional semifinal game from Georgia went over its two-hour time slot by 35 minutes.

The 1,084,000 viewers earned the game a 0.5 rating and represented , a larger viewing audience than any other program on ESPN or ESPN2 on Wednesday night.

Also, Bradley visited Al-Ahly
30639-1.jpg

30639-6.jpg

30639-3.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Eddie Johnson never finished his agreement with MLS and has decided not to come back to MLS.

Alejandro Bedoya moved to Rangers today instead of waiting for his contract to expire.

xbhaskarx

Eddie Johnson returning to MLS
*crickets*
Eddie Johnson not returning to MLS
*tumbleweeds*

I gave up on the guy long ago. He should go back to Greece though, that's the only stop on his Euro tour where he had any real success.

daoster

I want to go to the costa Rica game, but I'll be in Vegas... :(

(or should I be smiling?)

And this was unexpected... Bocanegra moved to Rangers too.......

xbhaskarx

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110817/exclusive-bocanegra-signs_2254024_2423804

ALLY McCOIST has completed a dramatic late swoop to sign USA captain Carlos Bocanegra from Saint Etienne and he could make his Rangers debut tomorrow in Maribor in international clearance comes through on time.

The Light Blues manager has been vociferously chasing the American stopper over the last 48 hours and his hard work has paid off as he has landed his man in time for the game.

With the Ibrox club struggling for defensive options, McCoist was keen to draft Bocanegra in ahead of the 11pm signing deadline set by UEFA ahead of tomorrow's Europa League tie.

And having done so, it is hoped the former Fulham star who will go into the squad rather than his countryman Alejandro Bedoya, who completed a deal with Gers earlier today.

Midfielder Bedoya needs a visa to play in the UK but with no such requirements applied in Slovenia, he was free to play against Darko Milanic's men.

However, with David Weir, Kyle Bartley, Sasa Papac and Steven Whittaker all out of the match, McCoist has registered Bocanegra as his wild card instead.

Now he will play subject to clearance from the French FA, which will hopefully come through as the player arrives in Maribor tomorrow.

The 32-year-old is the third US international to move into McCoist's pool alongside Bedoya and Maurice Edu.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be fun with three Americans on the squad. Waking up for Rangers matches sucks though since they're all at 7 or 730. I don't think it really matters that Bocanegra moved to a "lower league" since he is nearing the end of his career.

daoster

Blackburn has put a bid in for fc Dallas' George John... Eligible for Greece or USA... Think he was called in by Bob for one of the camps, but didn't go cause of injuries (though not 100% sure).

Has trained with the Greek team though...

Clydefrog

daoster said:
Blackburn has put a bid in for fc Dallas' George John... Eligible for Greece or USA... Think he was called in by Bob for one of the camps, but didn't go cause of injuries (though not 100% sure).

Has trained with the Greek team though...

Wow, MLS -> EPL is a huge jump.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Dempsey has scored 2 goals in the Europa League.

Starting where he left off last season...

Dempsey is the best American player playing the sport currently. By the way, John didn't train with the Greek team. He said he was "injured" when he got called into their camp and didn't train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom