• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rafa=FedKilla said:
It's sad that it took this long for George John to the recognition of the amazing player he is.

I watched the first half of Dallas' CONCACAF game, and he was really pretty impressive.

RELATED: MLS is doing pretty well in the group stage so far. All wins? WTF?! <---- this comment probably belongs in the other thread

daoster

platypotamus said:
I watched the first half of Dallas' CONCACAF game, and he was really pretty impressive.

RELATED: MLS is doing pretty well in the group stage so far. All wins? WTF?! <---- this comment probably belongs in the other thread

First win of any US team...national or MLS or otherwise, in Mexico. That's pretty cool.

xbhaskarx

Hoffenheim's Johnson open to US switch

After putting in a huge effort in a game against Augsburg, Hoffenheim midfielder and left back Fabian Johnson admitted that he is open to playing for the US national team.

Johnson, 23, arrived at Hoffenheim after spending the previous two seasons at VfL Wolfsburg.

The defender was born in Munich, but is the son of an American serviceman and holds a US passport.

In the past, Johnson has played with the German Under-19, U-20, and U-21 youth national teams but has never played for the senior team.

For the first time on record, Johnson has now indicated that playing for the United States at the international level is a possibility.

"Naturally it's possible, by all means yes," Johnson told YA after the game. " Yes, of course - [if they called] then I would in any case think it over."

If he were to play for the US national team in an official game, he would need to file his one-time change of association switch with FIFA. He would not need to file the switch to play for the US national team in any friendly, however.

As of now, Johnson has yet to be contacted by USSF.

"I can honestly say that I have not received any phone call [from the USSF]," Johnson added. "So I haven't really thought it over seriously."

xbhaskarx

Arsenal May Covet a Red Bull on the Rise

“They are following Tim regularly and have done for a while, and they have told me the same,” Erik Soler, the Red Bulls’ general manager and sporting director, said last Saturday night in reference to Arsenal.

“We have not had an offer for Tim, and my personal opinion is that he should stay here this season and next,” Soler said. “It would be good for him.”
Before the end of last season, the Red Bulls offered to tear up Ream’s contract, a move confirmed by Soler and Ream’s agent, Patrick McCabe. They proposed a five-year deal that could have tripled his salary, but Ream turned it down.

M.L.S. declined to confirm reports than Arsenal made an offer for Ream last year, one believed to be in the $1 million range.

Greg Seltzer

So yes, Arsenal have for a long time been and are monitoring Ream. However, unless Erik Soler's claim that there has been no offer for Ream is based on the current situation only, what he says here is simply untrue. Thus, reluctantly, I will personally confirm that MLS rejected two official Arsenal offers for Ream last year.

xbhaskarx

Blackburns mgr commenting on George John on Sky. yfrog.com/1q26216005z

More from the manager:

"All the paperwork with the MLS has been agreed, the player has traveled to Greece to get his passport, and hopefully he will be in the country either tonight or tomorrow. We've been tracking him through a scout based in the USA, we have had a number of good reports, and I've seen him myself on a number of occasions."

"In times past I've been involved with a lot of American players -- Eddie Lewis, Marcus Hahnemann, Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride -- from my Fulham days. It's a very good market because you can get players who have great potential, who hit the ground running, and you can normally get them for a very competitive salary, and he fits the ball."

"He is 6-foot-4, a commanding defender. He is quick, aggressive, and he has a really bright future."

Also, the deal appears to be for £1.2million, or $2 million.

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann:

Yanks A Lot!
JURGEN KLINSMANN is backing Rangers' trio of Americans to help bring new success to the club and insists he will be coming to Ibrox to check on their progress.
He is set to name all three players in his squad for the forthcoming friendlies with Costa Rica in Los Angeles on September 2 and away to Belgium on September 6.

He said: "I think it's a win-win situation. Rangers get three top American players who have improved tremendously in their football qualities and leadership.

"For our players, being together will bring them confidence and energy as they try to help Rangers reach their goals.

"These players are well suited for the British game, and they have the qualities to do well. I'm looking forward to coming to watch games at Ibrox.

"It's another milestone for the demand for American players in Europe, which will only increase in the future.

"About two-thirds of the U.S. national team roster is playing in Europe, and there are a lot of good young players coming through the ranks."

daoster

Here's a really good article on possible USMNT player Joe Corona from Jeff Carlisle:

U.S. team hoping Corona heads north

According to the article, Bradley called Joe up before the Mexico friendly (but we all know what happened there)...now via Ives' tweet, the Mexico U22 team has just called Joe up...

He was also called up by El Salvador for the Gold Cup, but declined.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
There's lots of Yanks playing in Europa League action today. I'll be watching Rangers and Fulham. If Jozy plays I'll also check out that match as well.

Roster for the friendlies will be posted soon today. I hope to see a couple of interesting choices.

sixghost

sazabirules said:
Jozy already scored a goal. He surpassed his amount of goals from last season.

JOZYYY!!! He scores a second.
My world is falling apart. Jozy Altidore is scoring for fun, Victor Anichebe scored on Wednesday.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Oops I misread about the first goal. Ives' tweet had confused me. Jozy only scored the 2nd goal of the game.

Now Jozy scored a second making it 4-0.

Bocanegra scored. Hopefully Rangers can come back.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
No John. At least we're calling up Fabian Johnson even though they're just friendlies. Hopefully Fabian plays more than Castillo at LB. I'm betting John would have definitely been included if he wasn't finalizing his deal with Blackburn.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Michael
Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Jose Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
platypotamus said:
No Bradley?

From the USMNT blog:
On the exclusion of Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark and Jermaine Jones:
“All three of these players are trying to sort out their club situations, and the deadline for transfers is a week away. They have also not been playing matches, so for these reasons we decided to select different players for this roster.”

xbhaskarx

Great to see Fabian Johnson and of course Chandler... not so great to see half these other guys:

GOALKEEPERS-Tim Howard, Bill Hamid

DEFENDERS-Carlos Bocanegra, Edgar Castillo, Timothy Chandler, Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Zach Loyd, Michael Orozco Fiscal, Heath Pearce, Tim Ream

MIDFIELD-Kyle Beckerman, Clint Dempsey, Maurice Edu, Fabian Johnson, Sacha Kljestan, Jeff Larentowicz, Robbie Rogers, Brek Shea, Jose Torres

FORWARDS-Juan Agudelo, Jozy Altidore, Teal Bunbury, Landon Donovan

No Bedoya? Rumor was that all three US Rangers got the call...

I'm also not happy that Bob Bradley wanted Joe Benny Corona for the Mexico friendly and Corona claims he would have said yes, and now he's choosing the Mexican U-22s. No George John is understandable, but it would have been nice to see Diskerud and Gatt...

"They have also not been playing matches, so for these reasons we decided to select different players for this roster."

I'm pretty sure Diskerud and Gatt play more than Bunbury....

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Great to see Fabian Johnson and of course Chandler... not so great to see half these other guys:

No Bedoya? Rumor was that all three US Rangers got the call...

I'm also not happy that Bradley wanted Joe Benny Corona for the Mexico friendly and he claims he would have said yes, and now he's choosing the Mexican U-22s. No George John is understandable, but it would have been nice to see Diskerud and Gatt...

Beckerman is not playing against CR so Larentowicz may have been called in to play in his absence. It'll be interesting if there are a few changes to the roster. I'm hoping if there are any switches for the Belgium game we see Mixx and/or Gatt. I expect to see both of them in London next year. Bunbury hasn't been very good. I would rather see Sapong in a friendly. Castillo was really bad against Mexico.

andycapps

platypotamus said:
If Rogers plays like he did after subbing on vs Mexico, I'm ok with him getting the call up.
Rogers is a good callup after his performance against Mexico. Just happy to see that he got Dempsey and that Redcardo won't be there.

Nesotenso

Bunbury has been horrible for SKC this season. He has no or at least not demonstrated any finishing ability and his first touch is usually horrible. Sapong has been more instrumental in SKC's success. With the number of forwards we have, I would rather trade him to some other team.

Considering his form I don't know why he was selected.

xbhaskarx

Right, Bunbury has potential but he is a work in progress and has been mostly awful this year. Just a few weeks ago he was playing like 10-15 minutes per game, if at all (and that's not for Aston Villa or Schalke). Just from SKC, Sapong or Zusi would have made more sense.

I know Klinsy is still in the honeymoon phase and fans are understandably reluctant to criticize him, but imagine if Bradley had made these selections. Both this roster and the Mexico one show that he has limited grasp of our player pool at best, and an inability to properly evaluate talent at worst.
Given all of his strange decisions, the comments from Lahm have me slightly worried...

SKC is probably my favorite side to watch next to FC Dallas. If Teal doesn't show improvement, depending on value you could shore up the defense or get a good centre back.

Props to Jurgen for selecting Brek shea and Zack Lloyd even if out of an early habit.

xbhaskarx

Rosters:

COSTA RICA

GOALKEEPERS - Keylor Navas (Levante), Leonel Moreira (Herediano), Danny Carvajal (A.D. San Carlos).

DEFENDERS - Christopher Meneses (Alajuelense), Carlos Johnson (Cartaginés), José Salvatierra (Alajuelense), Michael Umaña (Chivas USA), José Mena (Saprissa), Roy Miller (New York Red Bulls), Roy Smith (Orión FC), Johnny Acosta (Alajuelense).

MIDFIELDERS - Randall Azofeifa (Genclerbirligui), Michael Barrantes (Aalesund), Allen Guevara (Alajuelense), Kareem Mclean (Limón FC), David Guzmán (Saprissa), Rodney Wallace (Portland Timbers), Cristian Bolaños (FC Copenhagen), Álvaro Sánchez (A.D. San Carlos).

FORWARDS - Daniel Colíndres (Santos de Guápiles), Randall Brenes (Cartaginés), Josué Martínez (Saprissa), Álvaro Saborio (Real Salt Lake), Winston Parks (FK Baki).

BELGIUM

GOALKEEPERS - Jean-François Gillet (Bologna), Simon Mignolet (Sunderland), Thibaut Courtois (Atletico Madrid).

DEFENDERS - Toby Alderweireld (Ajax), Denis Odoi (Anderlecht), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City), Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit-St. Petersburg), Daniel Van Buyten (Bayern Munich), Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal), Jan Vertonghen (Ajax).

MIDFIELDERS - Eden Hazard (Lille), Dries Mertens (PSV), Vadis Odjidja Ofoé (FC Bruges), Timmy Simons (Nuremberg), Jelle Van Damme (Standard), Marouane Fellaini (Everton), David Hubert (Genk), Axel Witsel (Benfica).

FORWARDS - Moussa Dembele (Fulham), Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea), Marvin Ogunjimi (Genk), Bjorn Vleminckx (FC Bruges), I. De Camargo (Moenchengladbach), Jelle Vossen (Genk).

Nesotenso

wiggins022 said:
Anyone know where I can/could possibly download any soccer matches that I may not be able to watch on TV? Whether it's La Liga, EPL, MLS?

MLS has highlights of all their matches on their official website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom