• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

I'd like to see them take fewer strikers, but oh well (Shea is an midfielder isn't he?).

F- Terrence Boyd, Brek Shea, Juan Agudelo, Joe Gyau, Teal Bunbury, Tony Taylor

In a 4-3-3 wingers are listed as forwards (because they're part of the front 3) along with the (real) forward, that's why Shea and Gyau are listed there. Ideally we would have more wingers, but Gatt was recalled by Molde. The schedule is brutal, 3 games over 6 days, no way Shea and Gyau play the entire time so maybe Corona, Agudelo, or Bunbury will be used there? (also I know almost nothing about Tony Taylor and how he may be used)

Seems like you'd want to pad your midfield with more players in case of injury since it's probably the most important position to dictate control of the game.

M- Freddy Adu, Joe Corona, Mix Diskerud, Michael Stephens, Amobi Okugo, Jared Jeffrey

The midfield is stacked as it is (aside from Michael Stephens imo), and that's with Alfredo Morales not released and Dilly Duka getting injured (plus Danny Williams who was never expected to be released). If those two were both available maybe you include both and bring 7 midfielders instead of 6 (adding Morales and Duka, removing Stephens) for three starting spots, but after that I'm not sure what the point of additional midfield depth would be. Who else in the pool is good enough that they would ever be used over these other guys?

In any case I'm not worried about the forwards of the midfield, the defense is by far the biggest weakness on this team. Hopefully their opponents are so inferior that it doesn't matter....

xbhaskarx

^ I forgot Adu, he could be used out there as well...

1-Bill Hamid
2-Ike Opara
3-Kofi Sarkodie
4-Perry Kitchen
5-Zarek Valentin
6-Jared Jeffrey
7-Freddy Adu
8-Mix Diskerud
9-Juan Agudelo
10-Joe Corona
11-Brek Shea
12-Teal Bunbury
13-Jorge Villafaña
14-Joe Gyau
15-Terrence Boyd
16-Amobi Okugo
17-Tony Taylor
18-Sean Johnson
19-Sheanon Williams
20-Michael Stephens

Based on the jersey numbers it looks like 1-11 are the first team and will be the starting lineup for the first game barring injuries. Maybe something like this:

-------Agudelo--------
Shea----------Corona
---------Adu------------
---Diskerud--Jeffrey---
Valentin-Kitchen-Opara-Sarkodie
--------Hamid----------

Boyd and Gyau coming off the bench, that is not going to be fun for the Cuban defenders...

xbhaskarx

Maybe something like this:

-------Agudelo--------
Shea----------Corona
---------Adu------------
---Diskerud--Jeffrey---
--------Hamid----------

Actual lineup:

-------Agudelo--------
Shea--------------Adu
-------Corona----------
---Diskerud--Jeffrey---
--------Hamid----------

xbhaskarx

Xolos already have Corona up on their website
b_a0cdc8d949581a6abd6656e1aadc6b2b79b68cb8.jpg

e: I thought there was suppose to be 3 players over 23 allowed?

qualifying: 20 man roster, all u-23s
Olympics: 18 man roster, 3 players over 23 allowed

xbhaskarx

Adu 5-0

^ Who knows, it all depends on Porter. It's in London so I think most of the big names will be interested, I know Donovan has already expressed interest...

xbhaskarx

killen em, how hard is it for us to qualify?

The minnows want to make it as hard on US and Mexico as possible so it all comes down to one game, the semifinal, so the game right after these three group stage games. The two countries that advance to the finals qualify for the Olympics, the final itself doesn't matter. That's what screwed our U-20s last year, they did well but then lost in the semifinal to Guatemala.

xbhaskarx

Mexico beat Trinidad 7-1 yesterday
El Salvador just beat Cuba 4-0

U23 #USMNT: Hamid; Valentin, Opara, Kitchen, Villafana, Jeffrey, Adu (c), Diskerud, Corona, Shea, Bunbury

Rumor is Agudelo injured his knee. Not sure why Bunbury over Boyd and Gyau...

US vs Canada starts in 15 minutes...

xbhaskarx

What a clusterfuck, US has to beat El Salvador on Monday to advance, and if they finish second in the group behind Canada they will most likely face Mexico in the crucial semifinal game...

xbhaskarx

Bahahahaha

CANADA!!!

MY HOME AND NATIVE LAND

Couldn't beat Cuba today.

Big break for the (US and Mexico), if the US beats El Salvador tonight they win their group and Canada has to deal with Mexico...

Starting US U-23 lineup tonight vs. El Salvador: Hamid; Sarkodie, Opara, Kitchen, Villafana; Diskerud, Okugo, Corona; Adu (c), Boyd, Shea

alterno69

Banned
Good thing Canada didn't beat cuba, as a mexican i'd rather face the US team on the final, more relaxed and with nothing at stake but pride it should be a fun game.

elsk

Banned
Wow. El Salvador really improved since the first game.
Btw, the player #10 of El Salvador played in the reserves of River Plate :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom