• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Bradley and Edu playing well, Johnson doing a good job getting forward.
Shea giving the ball away constantly, Williams mostly invisible, Altidore falling down...

xbhaskarx

Kljestan on for Shea.

Shea really should have stayed with the U-23s, he is dominant at that level whereas he's pretty much useless right now at least against top teams.

daoster

Not watching the game, since I'm at work, and folloiwng twitter (and I just got back from lunch), butttttttt

he shoots with right, he shoots with his left, he makes drogba look like shite! DEMPSEYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Pollux

So nobody answered this in the general Soccer thread,

zmoney said:
So, in the grand scheme of things, does it really mean anything if the US beats Italy today?

If we win, does it mean anything as far as a barometer of the program goes?

daoster

So nobody answered this in the general Soccer thread,

If we win, does it mean anything as far as a barometer of the program goes?

Not at all.

But still, it'd be nice, and it's a chance to see how our team has progressed since last we played under Klinsmann.

Plus, tough European teams in a tough environment is always good for the younger lads.

Pollux

Not at all.

But still, it'd be nice, and it's a chance to see how our team has progressed since last we played under Klinsmann.

Plus, tough European teams in a tough environment is always good for the younger lads.

What's the future look like for US soccer? Same old same old? Bright with good young players coming up?

Better than when Bradley was at the helm?

etc.

daegan

What's the future look like for US soccer? Same old same old? Bright with good young players coming up?

etc.

There are a decent amount of players on the come-up but nothing that seems like a definite situation. A few years ago we had a few where you knew they would come out at least decent, if not great (Altidore, etc.) We really need someone to step up and be that next Donovan or Dempsey.

OH GOD THANK YOU TIM

shoplifter

There are a decent amount of players on the come-up but nothing that seems like a definite situation. A few years ago we had a few where you knew they would come out at least decent, if not great (Altidore, etc.) We really need someone to step up and be that next Donovan or Dempsey.

OH GOD THANK YOU TIM

The good thing is that more of our younger core are playing overseas already and with any luck will end up playing a more complete game than we seem to have been able to put together in the past.

daoster

First win against ITALY for the USA!

etc.

The future is always looking bright for USA soccer. I wouldn't say same old, same old, the composition of the team is looking different now, with some players getting older, and (some) new players coming in, we're going though a rebuilding stage, and our younger players are pretty promising.

Also, as to whether or not this is better than Bradley, I'll get back to you after Klinsmann's tenure is over, as I'm one of those minority who thinks that Bradley did well his first 4 year in charge.

Askani

Man alive, I'm at work and didn't get to see the game, but the results are blowing my mind.

17 shots versus 4? Italy had 7 shots on goal and Howard had 7 saves? Were they quality shots or just alot of weak attempts? Was our goal strong or slop that got through? I'm need to dig up some highlights.

All those shots and +60% possession for Italy. Plus the U.S. played well enough to keep themselves in the win and take the win for 25 minutes. It sounds rather surprising.

EDIT :::::

Ahh. Thanks.

Esiquio

That was incredible, I can't believe how good our defense locked down...my God. How freaking nerve-racking. First win against Italy...EVER!

xbhaskarx

The best thing about this win is, I thought we would do relatively well against Italy, maybe 1-1 or only losing 1-0. Then like half the starters got injured. Onyewu, Jones, Torres, Chandler, Donovan... and we still managed to win 1-0.
The fact that a regular starter for the best team in Belgium needs half a dozen injuries to even make the US roster shows how much our depth has improved just over the last few years.

Clydefrog

Is there any question that Dempsey is now the premiere player for USA?

BTW the new away jerseys were pretty cool. I also love the no names on the jersey thing Klinsmann has been doing.

Howard looked great in his new kit

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Can't wait to watch this on Live tonight.

Take that bunga-bunga parties! Take that Bernardo Bertolucci! Take that veal parmigania!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Nice win today. The Olympic squad have a match later tonight.

U.S. Under-23 Men vs. Mexico
FC Dallas Stadium; Frisco, Texas
Feb. 29, 2012 @ 9 p.m. CT
TeleFutura (changed from Univision)

xbhaskarx

Anyone else seeing this ad on GAF?

SanJoseEarthquakes_Feb2012.20120217.AC.728x90.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom