• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

edit: beaten.

Klinsmann Announces First 16 Players to Report to Training Camp in Orlando
Additional Group to be Revealed May 20; Final 23-Man Roster for Five-Game Series will be Released May 25

INITIAL U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (4): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS (1): Clint Dempsey (Fulham)

REPORTING DATES
May 15: Beckerman, Castillo, Cherundolo, Corona, Guzan, Johnson, Jones, Torres, Williams
May 16: Guzan, Morales
May 18: Bradley, Bocanegra, Dempsey, Edu, Howard

Hopefully Altidore is okay.

MLS players will be called later (and maybe even some International players like Gomez as well)

He already called in Torres, Corona, and Castillo from Mexico. If Gomez doesn't even make the 29 man roster, that will be an outrage.

Also..Chandler requested time off.

That is annoying....

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann discusses roster

No mention of Altidore, Gomez, Kljestan...

On the exclusion of Timmy Chandler from the roster:

“I have had long conversations with Timmy about where he is in his professional career and his commitment to playing international football. He has expressed his appreciation for all the opportunities we have given him, but he also feels at this point he needs to take a break. It’s disappointing not having him as a part of the team at this important juncture of building our team, but ultimately a player must decide what is best for him. The door is certainly not closed on Timmy, but in the moment we move on without him.”

That is really annoying...

daoster

He already called in Torres, Corona, and Castillo from Mexico. If Gomez doesn't even make the 29 man roster, that will be an outrage.

I believe Gomez's team is in some sort of playoff in the Mexican league? Klinsmann might be waiting to see the result of that.

Altidore has played, more or less, for the whole season for the first time in a long time, I think he needs the rest, and will be called later...

Sacha though...dunno what's up with that

Also, I Terrence Boyd tweeted he was called up, so I think there are still international players that haven't been called yet:

https://twitter.com/#!/TBoyd91/status/202473780478619649

xbhaskarx

Sacha though...dunno what's up with that

I think Klinsmann just doesn't think Kljestan is good enough for this level. Which is fine, but he only tried him in that right midfield spot he's been sticking random defensive midfielders in (Danny Williams, Bradley) ever since Donovan has been MIA. Also, given how well he did this season, and how well his team did in a decent league, he should at least make the 29 man roster for camp.

exarkun

why does altidore not reporting mean anything? hes a disappointment, and i know beggars cant be choosers but still.

Him not reporting might mean I won't have to be ashamed by how bad he is for the US team. Other than tooling on sub-par teams in the North America/Caribbean groups there isn't much he does that should make any US fan miss him.

xbhaskarx

why does altidore not reporting mean anything? hes a disappointment, and i know beggars cant be choosers but still.

Him not reporting might mean I won't have to be ashamed by how bad he is for the US team. Other than tooling on sub-par teams in the North America/Caribbean groups there isn't much he does that should make any US fan miss him.

smh...

Best Season: Clint Dempsey, Fulham

Runners-up: Jozy Altidore, AZ Alkmaar; Michael Bradley, Chievo Verona; Sacha Kljestan, RSC Anderlecht; Herculez Gomez, Santos Laguna

Breakout Season: Jozy Altidore

When dealing with as much pressure as Altidore is to become the go-to scorer for his country when his club career has been filled with detours, it's safe to say that he needed this season in the Netherlands badly. Altidore scored 19 goals in all competitions in his first season with AZ Alkmaar. His 15 league goals were good for seventh in the Eredivisie. With a demonstrated improvement on his first touch and hold-up play and a finishing range that extended for some sweet long-distance blasts, the 22-year-old Altidore was able to deliver an emphatic response to some of his harshest critics while settling in at a club that truly feels like home.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../15/americans.abroad/index.html#ixzz1uyVQMxjW

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be interesting to see Castillo again. I did not like his performances at all for the US but he has had a good season in Mexico. Morales doesn't deserve a callup but I'm assuming we're still trying to court him. At least he'll get more playing time in the second division with Hertha. I want to see Williams played in his actual position.

xbhaskarx

I won't give up on Chandler quite yet, he's made some strong statements in the past saying he wants to play for the US and doesn't want to play for Germany. It sucks that he's missing qualifying games, but should take more than "I am fatigued" for fans to turn against him.

Castillo has looked horrible with the national team, but really good in Mexico. Hopefully he can become more consistent. I think he has the skills, maybe he's just putting too much pressure on himself right now.

NoRéN

US WCup qualifier at Guatemala on pay-per-view

HOBOKEN, N.J. (AP) The United States' World Cup qualifier at Guatemala on June 12 will be shown on pay-per-view over the objection of the U.S. Soccer Federation.
Traffic Sports USA purchased the rights from the Federacion Nacional de Futbol de Guatemala and announced an agreement Friday with Integrated Sports Media to distribute the match in the U.S.
It will have a suggested retail price of $29.95 and will be available on iN Demand, DIRECTV, DISH Network and Avail-TVN.
FIFA gives home teams rights to World Cup qualifiers. The Americans' home qualifiers against Antigua and Barbuda on June 8 and Jamaica on Sept. 11 will be televised by ESPN2.
USSF spokesman Neil Buethe says ''the pay-per-view route is definitely not our preference.''

xbhaskarx

Full roster for camp, 11 (in bold) added to the original 16:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting CP), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Clarence Goodson (Brondby IF)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar)

Not sure why it's 27 instead of the announced 29... among those missing are Chandler (already covered), Shea, Lichaj, Ream, Beasley, and Kljestan.

For once we're not looking thin at forward, and others like Sapong and Wooten are in the mix as well...

Edit: possible explanation
@JamesCoston
@SoccerByIves spoke with Ream yesterday, he said Klinsmann wanted to give him some rest.

@SoccerByIves
If rest is why Ream is out, perhaps it's why Lichaj is out. 1st stretch of heavy 1st-team minutes of Lichaj's career. Played well for Villa

Heretic

We're looking pretty strong in the middle too. The D is where the team has always faltered. Looking forward to this wednesday.

xbhaskarx

We're looking pretty strong in the middle too. The D is where the team has always faltered. Looking forward to this wednesday.

I wouldn't be concerned with our defense if we also had Chandler, Lichaj, and Ream. And Fabian Johnson and can play LB as well, even Williams can be used as a defender if we're desperate, and I still think Edu should be tried at CB given our midfield depth.
In any case our defense should be able to handle our opponents in the two qualifiers. Of course Brazil might be a different story...

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann quotes

“We are excited now to get towards full numbers with the MLS guys and also the players from Europe who are coming in with great form,” said Klinsmann. “We want them to pick up the rhythm as fast as possible and make them understand that we are taking the next couple weeks very seriously. We will continue with our rhythm of two trainings a day and see where the players are really at before we make our final decisions on the 23-man roster for the upcoming games.”

On the fact that many of the remaining European-based players are competing for trophies:
“It’s really awesome to see. Michael Parkhurst is playing right now for the chance to be Danish champions. Gooch is playing in the Portuguese Cup final. Herculez Gomez is playing for a title in Mexico. Terrence Boyd won the title with Dortmund Under-23 team and they moved up from the fourth division to the third. It would be awesome of these guys come in with their chests puffed out. The more success they have with their club teams, the more confident they are.”

On some of the newer MLS players who have earned the opportunity to be called in:
“Graham Zusi left a very strong impression in the January camp. Geoff Cameron is a guy that is really knocking at the door, with a very strong January camp but also very strong performances for Houston. You have Chris Wondolowski who is scoring and scoring. This is what he loves to do and his attitude and his spirit is just great for a team to have.”

On Juan Agudelo and his situation:
“We have Juan Agudelo coming in after a difficult first part of the season for him, not qualifying for the Olympics, struggling with an injury, and now with the trade to Chivas USA that we hope gives him a lift because he couldn’t pass by Thierry Henry and Kenny Cooper at the Red Bulls. He has an opportunity now, and we want him to grab it and make clear to everyone that he deserves to be a starter no matter where he plays.”

On Brek Shea:
“We have watched Brek during the last few months, and given his performances and some of the other issues we felt he should be on the standby list. He’s still a young player with a lot of talent, and also a lot to learn.”

On the process of cutting the roster down from 27 to 23 players by May 25:
“When you go into a training camp period like this you have additional players for several reasons. First you want to see where they are at, you want to put them through testing, and you want to cover your bases. In our camps, because of the high intensity training sessions we always have the risk that somebody gets injured, so you need to understand where the pool of players is in case you have to make a change. There is the displeasure obviously of having to tell players that it was great to bring them and they brought everything to the table that they could, but now we have to choose the final 23 for the games. Those are very honest and straight forward discussions. Still, it’s important for the guys that don’t make the cut that they still feel a part of this process. They are knocking at the door to become part of the roster. Similar things will happen two years down the road. You start with a bigger group and step by step you cut it down, and basically on the last day you have to name the final 23. Now we have the advantage going into these four weeks that even if a player doesn’t make the cut, he’s still on the standby list in case something happens.”

Joe

So far it seems M Bradley is heading to Palermo. :)

Inter and Roma have shown interest but Palermo is sending a player to Chievo and need a player swapped back in return - likely Bradley.

xbhaskarx

So far it seems M Bradley is heading to Palermo. :)

Inter and Roma have shown interest but Palermo is sending a player to Chievo and need a player swapped back in return - likely Bradley.

Well Chievo finished 10th whereas Palermo finished 16th so would that really be a good move for Bradley? I know Chievo have like ten fans and are the second most popular team in Verona, but Palermo managed one road win. Hopefully Roma swoop in and pick him up instead...

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann on those who didn't make the camp:

Klinsmann also discussed some of the players who didn’t make the 27-player roster he called in, going into detail about the decision to not call in the likes of Eric Lichaj, Sacha Kljestan and Tim Ream.

“It came in too late for him, but it’s good that he broke in (at Aston Villa), “Klinsmann said of Lichaj. “If you look at certain positions, who are they kind of front-runners. Look at the central midfielder position. Michael Bradley, a Jermaine Jones, a Maurice Edu, a Kyle Beckerman.

“Then you have a Sacha Kljestan that you have to tell ‘You know what, sorry. You’ve had a good season but you’re not passing one of these four right now with their elements’. Then you don’t do them a favor to call them in.

“Like in Italy, it worked out great but we had to play (Kljestan) in a wide position and that’s not his position. He kind of sacrificed himself for the group,” Klinsmann said. “But now, bringing him here to be a fifth guy of two positions, then you’d rather him have a good break after a long season. That’s sort of how you juggle things with these players.”

Klinsmann wouldn’t come out and say that Lichaj was still behind the pack at fullback, but pointed to him needing more experience.

“All the outside positions we have a special eye on obviously,” Klinsmann said. “What he needs now is games. And Bedoya needs games. Who knows what happens now at Rangers. We have kids up in Scandinavia like Josh Gatt. We’ll observe it. That’s the good thing now about having Andy Hertzog and Mattias Hammann. They are all over the place in Europe. They go to those places. In Nordsdjaelland, they went to see Michael Parkhurst play against Clarence Goodson. It helps having a presence in Europe now with these guys, to look after them.”

Another player who was a bit of a surprising exclusion from the current camp was Bolton defender Tim Ream, who Klinsmann praised before revealing that, at the moment, he isn’t high enough on the depth chart for a call-up.

“Tim’s situation is similar to Sacha’s,” Klinsmann said. “They are players who are right there, but they can’t pass the four guys in front of them. Right now, Tim is not passing Gooch, Carlos, Clarence and Geoff Cameron. They are our four players locked in there as of today.

“I don’t know about tomorrow, but as of today that’s the situation,” Klinsmann said. “Now, if I put Tim on the standby list, he’s ready for the situation. I know if I called tomorrow, A.J. DeLaGarza or George John, they’re right here and get the job done.

“I told them, we observe everything, you deserve a big compliment, and we have you right in our sights. But the guys like Gooch and Boca, they’re not giving in right now.”

When asked about Freddy Adu, one of the standouts of the recent Under-23 Olympic Qualifying tournament, Klinsmann didn’t mince words about what the Philadelphia Union midfielder needs to do to earn a national team look.

“What we expect is that you put your stamp on your team, and there needs to come more,” Klinsmann said. “Freddy is not considered in that group because we need to see more. We need to see killer passes. We need to see goals. We need to see really creative elements because you’re an attacking midfielder.

“So you’re measured on what comes out at the end of the day. How many assists, how many goals you score. It’s not just playing.”

I'm not sure what Beckerman (or even Edu) has done to be ahead of Kljestan. Or why Lichaj needs more experience but Morales gets called in...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The game against Scotland is tonight. If you don't know, NBCS is what Versus changed to. Morales, Agudelo, Zusi, and Williams were cut to shorten the final roster. If I remember correctly both Altidore and Dempsey are going to miss the game due to slight injuries.

EverBank Field; Jacksonville, Fla.
May 26, 2012 @ 8 p.m. ET
NBC Sports Network, Galavision

Here are some stories US fans should read:

Here is a story about the supporters who grabbed the ball that Donovan kicked into the crowd at the final whistle of the game against Algeria.

This is a fantastic article about Bob Bradley, Egypt, and its biggest football star focused on the tragic events that happened there.

xbhaskarx

Dempsey due to the injury that caused him to miss the last game for Fulham, Altidore because he's with the rest of AZ on some Caribbeean island somewhere...

Nesotenso

Dempsey due to the injury that caused him to miss the last game for Fulham, Altidore because he's with the rest of AZ on some Caribbeean island somewhere...

Is it true that Donovan and Dempsey haven't been on the pitch at the same time under Jurgen ? Is Donovan playing tonight ?

xbhaskarx

Is it true that Donovan and Dempsey haven't been on the pitch at the same time under Jurgen ? Is Donovan playing tonight ?
It is true.. Donovan is likely playing tonight. Barring injury the Donovan/Dempsey thing should no longer be true at some point in the next 18 days given that there are five games happening.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
USA: Howard; Johnson, Bocanegra, Cameron, Cherundolo; Jones, Edu, Bradley, Torres; Boyd, Donovan

Bench: Onyewu, Gomez, Corona, Guzan, Beckerman, Castillo, Wondolowski.

Pre

Not a bad lineup. I'm excited to see what Boyd can do, and hopefully Torres can create some chances. I've been critical of him, but he's been doing well lately.

xbhaskarx

Glad we got rid of the boring 442 empty bucket with two defensive midfielders so we could play exciting 443 with three d-mids, against Scotland.

Also I don't get the fascination with Torres, I'll wait until after his first good game with the national team before getting excited...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Glad we got rid of the boring 442 empty bucket with two defensive midfielders so we could play exciting 443 with three d-mids, against Scotland.

Also I don't get the fascination with Torres, I'll wait until after his first good game with the national team before getting excited...

Didn't he play out of position before for Klinnsman? I thought he was underwhelming when he did.

xbhaskarx

I'd love to know our goal +/- when Torres is in.

Donovan improves whatever it is by one!

(With a goal where the angle is reminiscent of the one against Slovenia, where the US was -2 with Torres and +2 without him... although in fairness he had a nice free kick in that game)

Esiquio

Wow, incredible start. Came to post about Donovans goal and saw a post about Bradley scoring and thought it was a typo. I can't believe we're up two-nil!

Edit: What the f, lol!!!!

xbhaskarx

I'll be happy with anyone but Beckerman... I'd like to see this 11 but it's probably too offensively-oriented for Klinsmann, so maybe we'll just six guys within ten yards of each other in the central midfield again...

Howard; Castillo, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundolo; Bradley, Torres, Johnson; Gomez, Wondo, Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom