• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

It's funny that we're discussing controversial World Cups and baseball just had its most controversial call since the 1985 World Series:

spekhe.jpg

All professional sports need to move towards increased computerization to remove human bias and error, imo.

-PXG-

xbhaskarx said:
It's funny that we're discussing controversial World Cups and baseball just had its most controversial call since the 1985 World Series:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4278/hewasout.gif[IMG]

All professional sports need to move towards increased computerization to remove human bias and error, imo.[/QUOTE]

I just saw the replay while watching the Yankees game. He was out be a fucking mile. Year of the Umps: 2010 edition is in full swing already :lol

Anyway, technology doesn't necessarily makes things better. Machines break and need maintenance. The labor and people required to fix things require money. You can't assume that machines would be cheaper to install, maintain and repair than having referees or umpires. Plus, one could still rig and tamper with the hardware.

This may sound silly, but human error and bad calls are part of the excitement of professional sports. Yeah, it sucks when people get dicked over, but things would be kind of boring (from a fan's point of view), don't you think? It's fun to yell at the TV or talk shit with your friends over missed calls.

daoster

Auron_Kale said:
Any Bay Area GAF members going to watch AT&T Park for the US-England game?

I'll definitely be down there as I don't feel like staying home to watch it. Plus it'll be a nice day out hopefully.

Wait....they're going to be showing the game at AT&T Park? Do I have to pay? I was thinking of going to a bar, but if I can be in a large field like that....

EDIT: Doh, i need to read the whole topic before I respond!

xbhaskarx

-PXG- said:
Technology doesn't necessarily makes things better. Machines break and need maintenance. The labor and people required to fix things require money. You can't assume that machines would be cheaper to implement, maintain and repair than having referees or umpires.
Plus, one could still rig and tamper with the hardware.

:lol Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

These are multi-billion dollar sports, I don't think the fact that machines need maintenance and are not cheap are real concerns. Also, "machines" makes it sound like we're talking about some industrial era contraption instead of cameras and computerization.
Tennis uses a non-human system for certain calls and it's much more accurate than human judges. The NFL uses cameras to overrule calls made by humans in real time, via instant replay, and no one has a problem with it.
Another thing you fail to realize is that baseball ALREADY has a computerized system in place for pitches, it's called Pitch F/X (used for MLB Gameday) and it's far more accurate than any human could ever be, so the cost at least for calling balls and strikes would be close to zero. You're also forgetting that referees/umpires in professional sports are rather well paid.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Wait....they're going to be showing the game at AT&T Park?

I think half the people in this thread are in the SF bay area :lol
There's a good chance I'll be watching the game at AT&T Park.

-PXG-

xbhaskarx said:
:lol Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

These are multi-billion dollar sports, I don't think the fact that machines need maintenance and are not cheap are real concerns. Also, "machines" makes it sound like we're talking about some industrial era contraption instead of cameras and computerization.
Tennis uses a non-human system for certain calls and it's much more accurate than human judges. The NFL uses cameras to overrule calls made by humans in real time, via instant replay, and no one has a problem with it.
Another thing you fail to realize is that baseball ALREADY has a computerized system in place for pitches, it's called Pitch F/X (used for MLB Gameday) and it's far more accurate than any human could ever be, so the cost at least for calling balls and strikes would be close to zero. You're also forgetting that referees/umpires in professional sports are rather well paid.

I'm just saying that a complete, 100% removal of all human referees and umpires would be time consuming, costly and eliminate (a sometimes unfair, yet exciting) element of the game. I'm not that foolish to rule out the potential (and current) benefits of having more precise methods (in this case, cameras and computers).

I don't know. Maybe it's because I know a lot of old dudes and purists who like things the way they are. They don't like the idea of tradition being over run by technology, that (at times) delay and slow down the pace of the game (ie. instant replays). I grew up with the the mentality to only have so much faith in technology. At times it can be helpful, but in other times, nothing beats a human being. Sure, people make bad calls, but sometimes, that is what makes sports fun to watch.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I think half the people in this thread are in the SF bay area :lol
There's a good chance I'll be watching the game at AT&T Park.

Ha, I didn't know that!

Do you think it'd be easy to sneak in alcohol for the game? They can't possibly be searching your bags right? If not...I guess it's pre-party on the train!

xbhaskarx

-PXG- said:
Sure, people make bad calls, but sometimes, that is what makes sports fun to watch.

Okay, fair enough, I just prefer actually having the correct call made to humans making bad calls that make sports more fun to watch and give fans something to talk about.
Instead of getting it right, let's enjoy Maradona's hand of God, the German hand ball vs US in the 2002 quarterfinal, Henry's hand ball that screwed Ireland's World Cup hopes... no thanks.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Do you think it'd be easy to sneak in alcohol for the game? They can't possibly be searching your bags right? If not...I guess it's pre-party on the train!

I doubt it will be too hard, they usually search bags but you could wear baggy clothing.
All the concession stands will be open, so you will be able to buy (overpriced) alcohol at the ballpark.

daoster said:
Ha, I didn't know that!

It should be pretty easy to sneak it in, especially if you use something like an aluminum water bottle or just a regular Gatorade bottle. Also, admission to the game is free (check for the SFGate article that was posted a page back).

Unrelated (or related) note, stopped by the Nike store and picked up the Donovan 'Hero' shirt to go alongside my Dempsey one. Would love to pick up the track jacket, but not totally sure yet.

Atlagev

NoRéN said:
Yeah. But, at least it led to positive changes. Make the last games of the group stage more exciting, too.

Oh, absolutely! I remember watching the US - Poland match, and we were losing 3-0. I was so depressed, perhaps more depressed than I'd been about any other sport. I decided it was hopeless, and changed to Telefutura to watch the South Korea - Portugal match, as that was still 0-0. Then, Park Ji-sung did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tqJC6GJWi8

I was in shock. South Korea had done it! Now they just had to hold on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ZBagSjQxI#t=3m51s

Probably the longest 20 minutes of my life... I nearly had a heart attack when Sergio Conceicao hit the post. But they did hold on somehow! And then came the Mexico and Germany matches, which I will always remember.

So yeah, the last group matchday is always awesome, although, if it's an exciting game, I think it's better to be a neutral, because I don't know how much longer I could've taken!

xbhaskarx

Actor Brad Pitt Joins USA Bid Committee To Bring FIFA World Cup to United States in 2018 or 2022

Sign the petition

Academy Award-nominated actor Brad Pitt has accepted an invitation to join the Board of Directors for the USA Bid Committee in its quest to bring the FIFA World Cup™ to the United States in 2018 or 2022. Pitt commemorated his new role by adding his name to the USA Bid Committee’s online petition at www.goUSAbid.com, joining the more than 435,000 people who have already registered their support for the effort.

“Soccer is a truly global sport and the opportunity to join the effort to have the U.S. host the world’s greatest sporting event again is a great honor,” said Pitt. “FIFA has set a world standard for using sport as a tool for positive social change and I’m proud to be associated with a United States World Cup Bid that has so ardently adhered to the principles established by FIFA.”

If FIFA is impressed by celebrities the US has a chance:
President Bill Clinton is the Honorary Chairman of the Board of Directors that includes New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, comedian Drew Carey, former boxer Oscar De La Hoya, American soccer stars Landon Donovan and Mia Hamm, Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber, former U.S. Secretary of State Dr. Henry Kissinger, director Spike Lee and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

xbhaskarx said:
Actor Brad Pitt Joins USA Bid Committee To Bring FIFA World Cup to United States in 2018 or 2022

Sign the petition

If FIFA is impressed by celebrities the US has a chance:

Signed. :)

Fuckin' A, I'd kill for a chance to go to the WC, especially if it was happening in the good ole US of A!

NoRéN

sw33tclyde said:
Signed. :)

Fuckin' A, I'd kill for a chance to go to the WC, especially if it was happening in the good ole US of A!
Damn, I assumed the petition was old news.
As someone who went to a bunch games back in '94, what i can say is that it's truly an experience of a lifetime.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wish they had world cup more often. what sensible person would be against wc every 3? "tradition" fetishists aside

Just signed the petition. I really regret not being able to go to any of the games in '94, but I'll definitely make up for it in 2018 should it come back to the States.

NoRéN said:
Damn, I assumed the petition was old news.
As someone who went to a bunch games back in '94, what i can say is that it's truly an experience of a lifetime.

Ah yeah I'm sure it is to most, but as a relative newcomer to international futbol, I hadn't seen it before. I say relative, because I played soccer as a kid, but our coach had no experience and the only thing I remember from playing was getting scored on relentlessly because our team never practiced or had set positions or anything, so I had no interest in the sport until I watched the WC in '06.

After watching all of the games I could, and seeing Zidane headbutt that bastard Italian, I've been hooked ever since. I'm too broke to afford any soccer channels, so I only get to see a select few games, but now that I've learned of a few streaming sites that has changed for the better though. :)

xbhaskarx

Auron_Kale said:
Just signed the petition. I really regret not being able to go to any of the games in '94, but I'll definitely make up for it in 2018 should it come back to the States.

2022 is more likely, 2018 will most likely be in Europe, probably England. That's fair enough, considering England last hosted it in '66 and we hosted in '94.

BobDylan

xbhaskarx said:
2022 is more likely, 2018 will most likely be in Europe, probably England. That's fair enough, considering England last hosted it in '66 and we hosted in '94.
but we are america. shouldnt we always get our way?

xbhaskarx

Calantus said:
wish i could watch it :(, can't get espn3, and my cable is basic atm.

Are you not in the US? Basic cable in the US probably includes ESPN and should certainly include ABC.

BobDylan said:
but we are america. shouldnt we always get our way?

I think you're joking, but actually we should get our way! The '94 World Cup still holds the all time attendance record, and the US bid requires putting zero money into building the necessary infrastructure (thanks giant NFL stadiums).

xbhaskarx said:

I believe we are the front runners for 2022.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_world_cup

One of them is going to Europe, but we aren't competing against the European bids, we're competing against everyone else.

Bids outside of UEFA:
USA, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Qatar.

Just go ahead and cross off Qatar. No way in hell they are ever going to give it to them.
Japan and South Korea had it in 2002. I am worried about Australia, but they don't have the facilities that we have. I mean, Australia is proposing 4 stadiums under 30,000 seating. The smallest we are offering is Indy with 66,000. I'm confident we will get it, but it just makes me feel old as shit.

xbhaskarx

ConfusingJazz said:
I am worried about Australia, but they don't have the facilities that we have. I mean, Australia is proposing 4 stadiums under 30,000 seating. The smallest we are offering is Indy with 66,000. I'm confident we will get it, but it just makes me feel old as shit.

Right, when our smallest stadium cost $700 million and is only 2 years old with every modern amenity, that should be an unbeatable bid.

xbhaskarx said:
Right, when our smallest stadium cost $700 million and is only 2 years old with every modern amenity, that should be an unbeatable bid.

Personally, I love the stat that the 94 World Cup still has the highest attendance of all world cups, despite having 12 more matches in 1998 and on. Also, highest average attendance ever, at 69,000 per game, which broke the previous record in 1950 (at only 47,000 per game).

Calantus

xbhaskarx said:
Are you not in the US? Basic cable in the US probably includes ESPN and should certainly include ABC.

I get ABC, but i didn't know it was gonna be on ABC. glad to hear it :D, thanks

Subitai

xbhaskarx said:
The '94 World Cup still holds the all time attendance record, and the US bid requires putting zero money into building the necessary infrastructure (thanks giant NFL stadiums).
Oh man, the final in Cowboy Stadium would be insane! :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
if he misses even a game FUCK. at least i have my home country france to cheer for, domenech will lead us to the promised land no doubt

ConfusingJazz said:
I believe we are the front runners for 2022.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_world_cup

One of them is going to Europe, but we aren't competing against the European bids, we're competing against everyone else.

Bids outside of UEFA:
USA, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Qatar.

Just go ahead and cross off Qatar. No way in hell they are ever going to give it to them.
Japan and South Korea had it in 2002. I am worried about Australia, but they don't have the facilities that we have. I mean, Australia is proposing 4 stadiums under 30,000 seating. The smallest we are offering is Indy with 66,000. I'm confident we will get it, but it just makes me feel old as shit.
No offence but I really hope the US doesn't get it in 2022. It's just too soon since you last had it. I'd quite like the Aussies to get it just to have something a little different.

AstroLad said:
if he misses even a game FUCK. at least i have my home country france to cheer for, domenech will lead us to the promised land no doubt

W/ Findley and Dempsey up front I think it will be more style to the play anyway...... might turn out to be a good thing. :D

Atlagev said:
Ives Galarcep seems to indicate he's fine:

http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves

"Someone at ESPN doesn't know the definition of the word Hospitalized. USMNT fans trying to recover from mild heart attacks. Altidore is okay"

GOOD STUFF!

I was about to check Jozy's twitter page and see what he says....... BRB

EDIT*** but i did send him a message... lets see if he responds. He's normally one of the only people that responds to me. :)

Harry_Tequila said:
No offence but I really hope the US doesn't get it in 2022. It's just too soon since you last had it. I'd quite like the Aussies to get it just to have something a little different.

This is the sentiment I am fearing, but I think our facilities will just overwhelm the bidding. Also, it will have been 28 years between the US World Cups, which beats Mexico's 16 years (1970 and 1986).

The fact that we are bidding on something 12 years away is a bit ridiculous though. I guess it will be 11 and half when the announcement is made, which really isn't all that much more positive.

Atlagev

MidnightRider said:
GOOD STUFF!

I was about to check Jozy's twitter page and see what he says....... BRB

EDIT*** but i did send him a message... lets see if he responds. He's normally one of the only people that responds to me. :)

Really? Jozy's responded to you on twitter? Freddy Adu responded to me once on twitter, but only because I was talking some (good-natured) smack about him. ;-)

Subitai

Harry_Tequila said:
If your team is going to be be spanked by Brazil, how could anyone not want it to happen here?

dm_090822_MORT_COWBOYS_STADIUM.jpg

NoRéN

AstroLad said:
MILD sprain. so no big deal rite?
yes and no...
no because: it's a mild sprain.
Yes because: 1) cold weather can make it act up. It's winter in SA.
2) The press release might at well have put a bulls-eye on Jozy's ankle. The opposition may be gunning for it.

ConfusingJazz said:
This is the sentiment I am fearing, but I think our facilities will just overwhelm the bidding. Also, it will have been 28 years between the US World Cups, which beats Mexico's 16 years (1970 and 1986).
The fact that we are bidding on something 12 years away is a bit ridiculous though. I guess it will be 11 and half when the announcement is made, which really isn't all that much more positive.
Yeah, stupid way of thinking. So, we have hosted the World Cup already. And? We have the facilities. Since '94, how many more great stadiums have come up? Considering that back in '89, the world was extremely against it and super pissed when USA got the '94 world cup. They don't play football, they said. It will be a disaster, they said. Look at the attendance records, people. Not bad for a country that does not embrace soccer completely. And, even Mexico is backing the US bid. :lol
Why wouldn't they? It will be a home World Cup for them too. :lol

Atlagev said:
Really? Jozy's responded to you on twitter? Freddy Adu responded to me once on twitter, but only because I was talking some (good-natured) smack about him. ;-)

Yeah. twice now. :D

I've been talking to Charlie for a while and he still hasn't replied........ asshole.:lol

Subitai said:
If your team is going to be be spanked by Brazil, how could anyone not want it to happen here?

dm_090822_MORT_COWBOYS_STADIUM.jpg

I wish that is where the FC Dallas vs Inter Milan was going to happen..... I am coming over to dallas for that one.

Driving around Los Angeles today, I saw some World Cup posters... for Mexico and Argentina :(

I guess they know their audience :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom