• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlagev

xbhaskarx said:
Goalkeepers: Samir Handanovič, Jasmin Handanovič, Aleksander Šeliga

Defenders: Mišo Brečko, Boštjan Cesar, Elvedin Džinič, Suad Filekovič, Branko Ilič, Bojan Jokič, Matej Mavrič , Marko Šuler

Midfielders: Valter Birsa, Andraž Kirm , Andrej Komac, Robert Koren , Rene Krhin, Aleksander Radosavljevič , Dalibor Stevanovič

Forwards: Zlatko Dedič , Zlatan Ljubijankič , Tim Matavž, Milivoje Novakovič , Nejc Pečnik

No offense, but I don't think I know any of these guys... Those Eastern European names are always hard to remember, though, so maybe I've seen one of these guys in action...

I want to support the US, but I still hate them for blowing that lead against Brazil during the Confederation Cup. I mean it made them like the Boston Bruins of football. :lol

Clydefrog

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I want to support the US, but I still hate them for blowing that lead against Brazil during the Confederation Cup. I mean it made them like the Boston Bruins of football. :lol

That game was such an emotional rollercoaster :(

shoplifter said:
:D
acsfp4.jpg
:D
I need a poster of this.
:lol

I can't believe that the US team is still being regarded as a joke by some Mexican fans. The Mexican league is as boring as watching NASCAR.

Ryck

xbhaskarx said:
2-0 at halftime against Brazil is not really "insanely far ahead"....
I think just being 2-0 at halftime was an amazing thing. The rest was not so amazing and I don't think I've ever felt so sad after a US loss as that one.

Ryck said:
I think just being 2-0 at halftime was an amazing thing. The rest was not so amazing and I don't think I've ever felt so sad after a US loss as that one.

That pretty much. Considering it was in the finals, against Brazil, and the insane things that had to occur for us to win.

xbhaskarx

Article on the fortified US compound:

The slogan on the side of the bus reads "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Victory!" with the Stars and Stripes painted alongside. The U.S. World Cup team is making itself at home in South Africa, ready at last to play the games that matter most.

The Americans are staying in the 74-room Irene Country Lodge, a luxury hotel north of Johannesburg and south of Pretoria protected by stone walls and barbed wire. There's a lake on the property, with an adjacent farm filled with cows and enough roosters to make alarm clocks superfluous.

"It's been a long time," captain Carlos Bocanegra said Tuesday in the interview tent, pitched on the dairy farm. "Now it's finally here. We're in South Africa. So we're excited for the games to start. It feels real now that we're down here in South Africa and we're set up at our hotel and you see all the World Cup fanfare."

Practice is not too far away in Pretoria's Pilditch Stadium, a lush green field surrounded by an eight-lane running track with about 5,000 seats on one side. Berms topped with palm trees wrap the other segments of the field, and the leaves are starting to fade to brown as autumn approaches winter in the Southern Hemisphere. This will be the first World Cup south of the equator since 1978 in Argentina.

Following a few warm days last week in the Northeast U.S., the Americans found themselves in a quite different climate: daytime highs in the 60s and nighttime lows near 40. They'll get to experience game conditions Saturday, when they play Australia at Roodepoort, outside Johannesburg, in their last World Cup warmup.

NoRéN

doitlive said:
I can't believe that the US team is still being regarded as a joke by some Mexican fans. The Mexican league is as boring as watching NASCAR.
Well, it must be true coming from Mexicans. I mean, their team has won so many world cups...oh, wait.

Subotic made the Serbia squad. Traitor pic needed.

doitlive said:

It's all they've got, man. don't take it away from them.

Nander

So, what really happened to Freddy Adu? He was considered one of the world's most promising players, but now I haven't heard anything about him for years and he's not even in the US squad...

xbhaskarx

Nander said:
So, what really happened to Freddy Adu? He was considered one of the world's most promising players, but now I haven't heard anything about him for years and he's not even in the US squad...

He's playing in Greece. He's not on the US squad because we have 25-30 or so who are better than him. He's still only 20 so he will have a couple more chances to develop further and make the team but I wouldn't count on it.

DominoKid

Clydefrog said:
That game was such an emotional rollercoaster :(

the collapse felt inevitable to me. but i was moreso shocked than ecstatic when we were up 2-0. i celebrated Dempsey's goal but for Donovan's i was just like "holy shit were up 2-0 on Brazil...wow."

xbhaskarx

I just added this to the OP, but I want to post it here as well... if you didn't see it on ESPN, watch this video:

A Goal, A Ghost
Joe Gaetjens, a Haitian immigrant, scored the greatest goal in American soccer history. He should have been a hero. Instead, Gaetjens was abducted and died in a Haitian prison.
"Outside the Lines" sheds light on his story.

xbhaskarx

Daigoro said:

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."

- Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, read aloud to the Continental army on December 23, 1776, two days before the Battle of Trenton, attempted to bolster morale and resistance among patriots, as well as shame neutrals and loyalists toward the cause

That commercial got me pumped up, this thread needs more war propaganda...
AmericansWillAlwaysFightForLiberty.jpg

xbhaskarx

Jersey numbers:

1 Tim Howard
2 Jonathan Spector
3 Carlos Bocanegra
4 Michael Bradley
5 Oguchi Onyewu
6 Steve Cherundolo
7 DaMarcus Beasley
8 Clint Dempsey
9 Herculez Gomez
10 Landon Donovan
11 Stuart Holden
12 Jonathan Bornstein
13 Ricardo Clark
14 Edson Buddle
15 Jay DeMerit
16 Jose Torres
17 Jozy Altidore
18 Brad Guzan
19 Maurice Edu
20 Robbie Findley
21 Clarence Goodson
22 Benny Feilhaber
23 Marcus Hahnemann

Cant wait to see the 'Roos take on the USA this satdy, Donovan better watch out for Grella's studs. They have been showing quite a bit lately.

By the way, what is the nickname for the USA soccer team?

cashman

Banned
chicko1983 said:
Cant wait to see the 'Roos take on the USA this satdy, Donovan better watch out for Grella's studs. They have been showing quite a bit lately.

By the way, what is the nickname for the USA soccer team?
the yanks.

methodman

Banned
I know a good person wouldn't be grinning ear to ear when they heard Rossi got cut from the Italian team. Well Guess I ain't a good person. :D

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
What the hell does that mean?

Google it. Seppos could be my new word alongside with calling the USMNT, the nads.

Atlagev

chicko1983 said:
Do Americans get offended if they are called the Seppos then?

If it's by an Aussie, personally, no. If a Brit calls me a "Septic," it bothers me more for some reason.

Maybe it's because Aussies are so laid back you can take insults by them in good fun. The English like to smash things.

Atlagev said:
If it's by an Aussie, personally, no. If a Brit calls me a "Septic," it bothers me more for some reason.

Maybe it's because Aussies are so laid back you can take insults by them in good fun. The English like to smash things.

I hate being called a septic. fucking assholes.

xbhaskarx said:
Jersey numbers:

1 Tim Howard
2 Jonathan Spector
3 Carlos Bocanegra
4 Michael Bradley
5 Oguchi Onyewu
6 Steve Cherundolo
7 DaMarcus Beasley
8 Clint Dempsey
9 Herculez Gomez
10 Landon Donovan
11 Stuart Holden
12 Jonathan Bornstein
13 Ricardo Clark
14 Edson Buddle
15 Jay DeMerit
16 Jose Torres
17 Jozy Altidore
18 Brad Guzan
19 Maurice Edu
20 Robbie Findley
21 Clarence Goodson
22 Benny Feilhaber
23 Marcus Hahnemann

That's bullshit! they should have left number 9 out in honor of Charlie.

Atlagev

cashman said:
the yanks.

We also call them the Nats and the USMNT, for US Men's National Team (the latter only in writing, of course).

Also, the nickname "Nats" is the reason Verano has been trolling this thread calling us the "Nads."

xbhaskarx said:
54043055.jpg

Dempsey and Torres celebration

Good Shit

between Demps, Torres, and Findley we should have some great chances upfield.....

I love the spark that Torres brings to our team as well as Findley's pace. I had no idea that dude was that fast.......

Atlagev

MidnightRider said:
Good Shit

between Demps, Torres, and Findley we should have some great chances upfield.....

I love the spark that Torres brings to our team as well as Findley's pace. I had no idea that dude was that fast.......

Hopefully he *was* that fast and the Turks aren't just really slow... ;-)

Atlagev said:
We also call them the Nats and the USMNT, for US Men's National Team (the latter only in writing, of course).

Also, the nickname "Nats" is the reason Verano has been trolling this thread calling us the "Nads."

USMNT I have always found kinda weird, and the Nats are a crappy baseball team. I will stick with the Yanks.

Atlagev said:
Hopefully he *was* that fast and the Turks aren't just really slow... ;-)

True but it's still hard to fake speed. He seemed to be hauling ass a lot.

Hell I even hope he earns a subbing in spot over Buddle/Gomez

Maybe even a start if Demps doesn't play up front.

--------Altidore ------- Findley---------
Landon -- Torres -- Bradley -- Dempsey
Bornstein -- Boca -- GO --- Spector

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
ConfusingJazz said:
USMNT I have always found kinda weird, and the Nats are a crappy baseball team. I will stick with the Yanks.

Nats are decent this year. They'll win about 75-80 probably.

arstal said:
Nats are decent this year. They'll win about 75-80 probably.

Sorry, this season was can canceled in my mind as the stros were behind in double digits before June...

Baseball is going to suck the next couple years :(

Atlagev

ConfusingJazz said:

Hey, I've been using "Nats" for our soccer team far longer than that baseball team has been in existence! It's actually the one I use in actual conversation most, I think. And yeah, USMNT only works in writing. Yanks is fine, too, but I don't use it unless I'm singing something like "The Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming" etc.

Wish we could come to a consensus on a nickname... Hell, there's a lot of things I wish we could come up with a consensus on, actually... Like, what the hell are our uniforms supposed to look like? Brazil, Italy, England, the Netherlands, heck, even Japan, have uniforms you can recognize at first glance. We need some iconic uniforms, and then keep it that way. Start some tradition, you know?

Atlagev said:
Hey, I've been using "Nats" for our soccer team far longer than that baseball team has been in existence! It's actually the one I use in actual conversation most, I think. And yeah, USMNT only works in writing. Yanks is fine, too, but I don't use it unless I'm singing something like "The Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming" etc.

Wish we could come to a consensus on a nickname... Hell, there's a lot of things I wish we could come up with a consensus on, actually... Like, what the hell are our uniforms supposed to look like? Brazil, Italy, England, the Netherlands, heck, even Japan, have uniforms you can recognize at first glance. We need some iconic uniforms, and then keep it that way. Start some tradition, you know?

You in the American Outlaws/Sams Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom