• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Yes, I was comparing numbers for advancement out of the group.

Nate Silver:
Eng 85%
US 55%

Castrol:
Eng 90%
US 70%

I trust Nate Silver over Castrol, personally, just because I know little about Catrol aside from that they make car oil.

I just checked on my other favorite stat guy, Voros McCracken, who released new team rankings a few weeks ago:

England 4
USA 23
Slovenia 46
Algeria 75

EDIT
Voros:
Eng 90%
US 65%

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
xbhaskarx said:
Yes, I was comparing numbers for advancement out of the group.

Nate Silver:
US 55%
Eng 85%

Castrol:
Eng 90%
US 70%

I trust Nate Silver over Castrol, personally, just because I know little about Catrol aside from that they make car oil.

I just checked on my other favorite stat guy, Voros McCracken, who released new team rankings a few weeks ago:

England 4

USA 23
Slovenia 46
Algeria 75

I can name more than 4 countries who have a better chance than we do. The hype train has started full blaze in England again and its sickening, it makes you root against the team so that the smug ex professionals arent validated in their 4 year "this is our year" torment. As a fan it gets so sickening to remember, actually remember the same faces saying the exact same thing last world cup, going on the news channels and even contradicting themselves by saying "oh we were never going to win last time" when they stood infront of the same cameras 4 years ago.

I hate England :lol

xbhaskarx

Mr Cola said:
I can name more than 4 countries who have a better chance than we do. The hype train has started full blaze in England again and its sickening

That may or may not be the case, but that ranking is not influenced by any "hype train".

And it's not that far off from other decent rating sytems:
Voros: 4
SPI: 3
Elo: 4
FIFA is trash, and it has England #8

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
xbhaskarx said:
That may or may not be the case, but that ranking is not influenced by any "hype train".

And it's not that far off from other decent rating sytems:
Voros: 4
SPI: 3
Elo: 4
FIFA is trash, and it has England #8
That fifa ranking sounds about right to me.

Mr Cola

xbhaskarx said:
Hey I hope it's the most accurate, they have the US at 14, but their formula is pretty much considered a joke.
Formula doesnt count for alot to me, football is too flexible, too many "on the day" variables, you can say x is better than y but im not sure pinpointing it to a position justifies it anymore than simply "x is better than y". Some countries do great against others but are ranked higher, some the opposite, its why ive never taken them too seriously. 8th sounds right in my head personally, it feels right, it feels where England is and has been the last 20 years or so. 14 for US sounds fine to me to, but ill be honest i havent seen them play for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages, i only know a decent few of their players for individual clubs.

Crisis

Banned
scorcho said:
what's Jozy's status like?

edit: holy fuck about Drogba. :/

Altidore has a sprained ankle. He's listed as day-to-day. They said he may not make the Australia game but frankly I think they know better than to risk seriously hurting him right before the cup. I expect him to miss that game as a precaution.

darkbanjo

What's the coverage like in the US? I'm going to be there for three weeks or so of the tournament so I hope it's up to BBC standard. Many games shown? Good commentary?

Slizz

darkbanjo said:
What's the coverage like in the US? I'm going to be there for three weeks or so of the tournament so I hope it's up to BBC standard. Many games shown? Good commentary?

ESPN and ABC will be showing every game. But you get ESPN and ABC announcers, they'll probably be some good ones and bad ones.

shoplifter

darkbanjo said:

We're not exactly sure what quality the actual broadcasts will be yet, but every match will be shown. They have a good commentary team set up though.

espn.com said:
Adrian Healey, Derek Rae and Ian Darke have been hired by ESPN for its U.S. broadcasts at this year's World Cup and will join Martin Tyler to give the network British play-by-play announcers for all 64 games beginning June 11.

Healey, who is English, called matches for ESPN at the 2006 World Cup and 2007 Women's World Cup, and has announced European Champions League, Serie A, La Liga and FA Cup broadcasts for ESPN. He hosts Premier League studio shows for ESPN this season.

Rae, who is Scottish, has worked for ESPN since 1994 announcing the Champions League and international games.

Darke works in England broadcasting Premier League matches on Sky Sports, as does Tyler, who will be ESPN's lead play-by-play man.

Former U.S. captain John Harkes and former Nigerian national team forward Efan Ekoku will be among the television color commentators, but the crew pairings have not been set.

JP Dellacamera, the play-by-play announcer who has been paired with Harkes for U.S. national team telecasts, will shift to ESPN Radio for the World Cup and form the lead team there with analyst Tommy Smyth.

daoster

ussoccer's twitter said:
Jozy Altidore was held out of field training today. He continues to make favorable progress and is still considered day to day.

I'm sure he'll be fine...I hope...I pray....

Heretic

I'll be really surprised if they played Altidore even if he's fine. Let him go to practices but putting him in competition right now only paints him with a huge red target.

Let him rest and get Hercules on the field for Saturday

Pre

Slizz said:
ESPN and ABC will be showing every game. But you get ESPN and ABC announcers, they'll probably be some good ones and bad ones.

I'm pretty sure Martin Tyler is doing all of the commentary.

Unfortunately he'll probably have that douchebag John Harkes with him for the USA games.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Pre said:
how is that possible considering the overlap in schedule? i'm assuming ESPN will rotate the games among it's different channels alongside ABC during the weekend.

edit: must be smoking something. could've sworn that some games overlapped.

xbhaskarx

Pre said:

Surely one person can't do all the commentary, even if the game times don't overlap, that is just too many games. Plus I believe they are doing commentary for each game on location instead of from a studio. How could that possibly work?

NoRéN

scorcho said:
how is that possible considering the overlap in schedule? i'm assuming ESPN will rotate the games among it's different channels alongside ABC during the weekend.

edit: must be smoking something. could've sworn that some games overlapped.
He'll probably be doing the headline game of the day. The only games that will over lap are the last games of the group since they are played simultaneously.

Dempsey Away jersey just got in. I was afraid small was going to be too small for me since I was close to the Medium cutoff for Nike, but it fits fine. Made a bracket on ESPN, now I just need to find a place to drink heavily and be obnoxious for next Saturday!

xbhaskarx

The TEN World Cup starlets set to have the Premier League scouts flocking

Michael Bradley (USA)

Son of the US manager Bob, Michael is in the team on merit that’s for sure. Bradley is a huge fan favourite at Borussia Monchengladbach for his all out action midfield style. The midfielder loves to attack as well as break them up, and has great passing and ball control (England you have been warned). The young midfielder already has 42 caps and 7 goals for his country; he can only get better with time and the right guidance. Premier League clubs will no doubt be keeping tabs on his performances in South Africa this summer.

The 22-year-old poses a real threat in the middle of the park, and is sure to be one of the potential stars in this year’s World Cup.

Michael Bradley

xbhaskarx

The US camp has two of the three console gaming sytems...

d4f3a1f8-fe20-42c3-a450-429329b82461.Large.jpg

a1d86b3f-745f-4948-812f-ab0877ba0beb.Large.jpg

methodman

Banned
timetokill said:
Man, this World Cup is gonna really suck for those of us on the West Coast, huh?

All these friendlies are at like 5am...

yeah this shit sucks man. ima try to wake up, depends on when i go to sleep tonight, doubt it will be early enough (got work at 8:30a tomorrow)

methodman said:
yeah this shit sucks man. ima try to wake up, depends on when i go to sleep tonight, doubt it will be early enough (got work at 8:30a tomorrow)

I'm sort of torn myself. My wife and I are going house hunting (and I have Barbri to study), I'll be up at 8:30, but we have to leave at 9:30. My wife says to DVR it, but yeah like I'm going to wait and not check scores. :lol

methodman

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I'm sort of torn myself. My wife and I are going house hunting (and I have Barbri to study), I'll be up at 8:30, but we have to leave at 9:30. My wife says to DVR it, but yeah like I'm going to wait and not check scores. :lol
I feel you. I can never stop myself from checking scores, DVR'ing sports blows. Couple times I DVR shit, and by the time I get to watch, I receive a text or read somewhere else about the score. Every damn time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
timetokill said:
Man, this World Cup is gonna really suck for those of us on the West Coast, huh?

:lol for once the east coast has an advantage. This doesn't quite make up for all those playoff basketball and baseball games ending at 1, 2 AM but still.

timetokill said:

Yup, always. It will be SLIGHTLY better in 2014, but not much so.

Look at the last world cups in terms of time zones...

1994 Americas west
1998 EUROPE
2002 ASIA
2006 EUROPE
2010 EUROPE
2014 Americas east (+6 hours from west coast)

xbhaskarx

DTLIONS1013 said:
What's the advantage of going to one of these as opposed to another bar or restaurant?
No idea, tbh. Probably none, but maybe other local USMNT fans will be watching there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom