• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

timetokill said:
Driving around Los Angeles today, I saw some World Cup posters... for Mexico and Argentina :(

I guess they know their audience :(
well, that sucks.

What part of L.A. you in?

cashman

Banned
MidnightRider said:
I wish that is where the FC Dallas vs Inter Milan was going to happen..... I am coming over to dallas for that one.
It's at Pizza hut park right? That's still a pretty nice place.

NoRéN said:
Oh, so those billboards are the huge ones they have out there? By Sunset, that area? or more like No. Hollywood?

Yeah around there and West Hollywood, as well as southeast towards downtown. the ones I saw specifically were on La Brea.

NoRéN

timetokill said:
Yeah around there and West Hollywood, as well as southeast towards downtown. the ones I saw specifically were on La Brea.
Hmm, cool. Now, what they need up is something like this:
mYm|17| said:
332c5lj.jpg

NoRéN

Article on US World Cup Bonuses.

The USA’s World Cup squad will share a bonus pot of more than $20m (£13.8m) if they defy the odds to win the tournament in South Africa this summer. The potential payout is the most lucrative confirmed bonus scheme in the history of the tournament and could net the 23 players involved $895,000 (£617,332) each should they triumph. [...]

Built into the U.S.'s bonus system are smaller incentives like $180,000 for each point they earn in the group stage, and a base bonus of $78,447 for being complete and utter disappointments by getting knocked out of the group stage with no points at all.
sorry if old.

daegan

Trying to figure out a way to afford to replace my Dempsey jersey (I have an 06 and the number on back is almost completely worn off) but it is difficult. :/

NoRéN

daegan said:
Trying to figure out a way to afford to replace my Dempsey jersey (I have an 06 and the number on back is almost completely worn off) but it is difficult. :/
sell stuff on ebay to fund the new one. :D

As much as that is, it really puts it into perspective when you realize players in other US sports are making millions of dollars every year (and not just in World Cup years!)

Puts into light how different US soccer could be if the support/interest and therefore money was there to encourage athletes to pursue it.

daoster said:
kbpyk5.jpg

Just got my jersey today! The white one looks better in person than the pictures shown!

The white kit does look good in person (I see it everytime at the Nike store), but I'm still not too fond of how the sash doesn't really stand out very much. Hell, you can barely tell that it's a blue-gray color, but then again, it's the Away kit that provides a better contrast of colors to me at least.

NoRéN

daegan said:
Trust me, I thought about it!
It sucks that jerseys are hard to sell since most people prefer to pay less than half of the cost of official merch for an asian knock-off.

ATF487

ConfusingJazz said:
I am worried about Australia, but they don't have the facilities that we have. I mean, Australia is proposing 4 stadiums under 30,000 seating. The smallest we are offering is Indy with 66,000. I'm confident we will get it, but it just makes me feel old as shit.

Australia's official bid website says that all the stadiums would be 40k after construction...But I mean, South Africa had to build half the stadiums after the bid, so I don't think that'd be an issue.

But the main problem imo is that Australia has their own domestic leagues that are bigger than soccer there, and they would be impacted by the stadium usage. Also some of the host cities are small, and the whole timezone thing...but who knows. I see 2018 going to europe (probably England specifically) but 2022 could be a crapshoot

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One thing I don't get about soccer shirts is why authentic ones can be so hard to find. And I say this as a proud owner of France 2010 WC Away (replica), Messi 2006 WC Away (replica), and Kewell Leeds United UEFA Away (authentic) shirts. I mean if you're spending $60-80 or whatever on a shirt I'm sure half those people (me included) would pay the big premium for the real thing (which are usually a good deal nicer, especially when it comes to the little details like patches and the like). And yet finding one is like this rare surprise in my experience.

Also U.S. needs a store as good as subsidesports.

There's also an online store that has a ton of old jerseys. Amazing to browse through but I haven't been there in a couple years and I remember it was always hard to find via google.

AstroLad said:
There's also an online store that has a ton of old jerseys. Amazing to browse through but I haven't been there in a couple years and I remember it was always hard to find via google.
Would you happen to know the name of that store or what the search terms were?

I really love the look of older jerseys, especially ones with collars (like England's home WC kit).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Auron_Kale said:
Would you happen to know the name of that store or what the search terms were?

I really love the look of older jerseys, especially ones with collars (like England's home WC kit).
Actually ya know I may be wrong b/c this wasn't that bad to find but I think this was it: http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/

Obviously cool shit like that will cost you an arm and two legs, though some of them are pretty reasonable. Subside also has a smattering of older shirts, not to mention retro-style/new replica old jerseys and the like (not as cool as the real thing but still).

edit: yeah this is definitely it. i find myself clicking through pages and pages of awesome shirts. deja vu

so badass :lol

JEF-94-Home-LS-MW.jpg

xbhaskarx said:
2022 is more likely, 2018 will most likely be in Europe, probably England. That's fair enough, considering England last hosted it in '66 and we hosted in '94.
Here's what I don't get, if it's the "world's game" why does Europe get it a third of the time?

cashman said:
ESPN should spam the shit out of this commercial in this next week. It really would be an effective way of getting people pumped up about it.

My parents saw the commercial flipping through the channels and now they are interested, I didn't need a commercial though wore my away kit today, apparently there are a lot of people in Boston who are fired up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
striKeVillain! said:
Fuck that shit. All about soccerhalfprice.com.

No way I spend over $40 on a jersey.
:lol wow that site is shady as hell. props to them for leaving up reviews calling the jerseys fake though! dsfdf i'm not a big fan of fakes but sometimes the quality can be fairly close to a replica

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Squirrel Killer said:
Here's what I don't get, if it's the "world's game" why does Europe get it a third of the time?
infrastructure and available funds. it's not cheap to host these games, and FIFA doesn't contribute to squat outside of advertising i think.

AstroLad said:
:lol wow that site is shady as hell. props to them for leaving up reviews calling the jerseys fake though! dsfdf i'm not a big fan of fakes but sometimes the quality can be fairly close to a replica
I've ordered a ton of jerseys from these kind of sites and they're the best bang for your buck. Also, make sure to pay through Paypal because you can always get a refund if you wind up never receiving your jersey (never happened to me).

daegan

AstroLad said:
One thing I don't get about soccer shirts is why authentic ones can be so hard to find. And I say this as a proud owner of France 2010 WC Away (replica), Messi 2006 WC Away (replica), and Kewell Leeds United UEFA Away (authentic) shirts. I mean if you're spending $60-80 or whatever on a shirt I'm sure half those people (me included) would pay the big premium for the real thing (which are usually a good deal nicer, especially when it comes to the little details like patches and the like). And yet finding one is like this rare surprise in my experience.

Also U.S. needs a store as good as subsidesports.

Amen. I remember seeing someone on I think BigSoccer who got the on-field seat for a US game and everyone asked why his jersey was weird (they give you a custom one of your choice) because the US crest is affixed like the numbers, not an actual patch like on the ones they sell. I've never seen one for sale.

newelly87

Banned
timetokill said:
As much as that is, it really puts it into perspective when you realize players in other US sports are making millions of dollars every year (and not just in World Cup years!)

Puts into light how different US soccer could be if the support/interest and therefore money was there to encourage athletes to pursue it.
They get paid by the clubs they play for as well. The top soccer players messi, ronaldo etc earn close to 50 million a year when you include endorsements.

woodchuck

striKeVillain! said:
I've ordered a ton of jerseys from these kind of sites and they're the best bang for your buck. Also, make sure to pay through Paypal because you can always get a refund if you wind up never receiving your jersey (never happened to me).

yeah. i have an 09 USMNT jersey. got it from soccerhalfprice. didn't have any problems. shirt looks good.

xbhaskarx

woodchuck said:
yeah. i have an 09 USMNT jersey. got it from soccerhalfprice. didn't have any problems. shirt looks good.

I wish I had bought a 2009 jersey. At the time I figured I already have an 06 jersey and I'll be buying one for 2010 so skip 09, but I regret that decision. I just checked that site and I couldn't find it.
Does anyone know where I can find one?

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
I wish I had bought a 2009 jersey. At the time I figured I already have an 06 jersey and I'll be buying one for 2010 so skip 09, but I regret that decision. I just checked that site and I couldn't find it.
Does anyone know where I can find one?
ussoccer.com has the 08/09 ones in long sleeve. But, they're damn expensive.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Not only is it expensive, but it's also Out of Stock.
Damn. That sucks. Glad I didn't wait, then. The black one is so great.
Other than getting a knock off on eBay, can't think of any alternatives.
I'm pretty sure The onion Bag is out of stock on that one too.

A question to the non US soccer fans here.

How does the World Cup in your opinion compare in terms of anticipating/excitement/showcase to other US sports? It seems to intrigue a lot of Americans even though they'll never call themselves fans

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Meus Renaissance said:
A question to the non US soccer fans here.

How does the World Cup in your opinion compare in terms of anticipating/excitement/showcase to other US sports? It seems to intrigue a lot of Americans even though they'll never call themselves fans

It's the World's Super Bowl. Super Bowl is probably the only thing that comes close.

cashman

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
With Brazilian cage dancers too I assume? Jerry Jones didn't forget to include room for that!
Actually on the ends of the stadium, where the standing room section is, there is a little place for specifically created for dancers :lol

daoster

Rio Ferdinand has suffered an injury during training. I hope its not too bad, cause if we're gonna beat England, I'd rather it be a full strength (as possible) England...:D :D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
daoster said:
Rio Ferdinand has suffered an injury during training. I hope its not too bad, cause if we're gonna beat England, I'd rather it be a full strength (as possible) England...:D :D

I honestly don't care if England puts out the Queen's Mum, the Spice Girls, and 5 Boer War Vets as long as there's a win.

xbhaskarx

And Drogba broke his right arm against Japan. Not that it matters for the US but suddenly being day to day with a sprained ankle isn't quite so bad...

cashman said:
Actually on the ends of the stadium, where the standing room section is, there is a little place for specifically created for dancers :lol

I know, as a person from Philadelphia originally (and NJ now), friends and family have mocked parts of that stadium since it opened. :D

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Could be a blessing, Rio has been really off all year for United, a Terry/King partnership is alot more stable, for those who dont know King is an absolute BEAST at the back, he would be a completely dominant world defender if not for his persistent knee injury :(

xbhaskarx

Mr Cola said:
One wonders how they do these things

I don't know about Castrol specifically, but probably some complex statistical formula.

Nate Silver, who is pretty much a stat god, has projections for advancement that are similar for England but lower for the US, which he says is one of the tougher teams to evaluate:

US 55%
Eng 85%

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
xbhaskarx said:
I don't know about Castrol specifically, but probably some complex statistical formula.

Nate Silver, who is pretty much a stat god, has projections for advancement that are similar for England but lower for the US, which he says is one of the tougher teams to evaluate:

US 55%
Eng 85%
85% to? get to the 2nd round? Id agree with those odds personally, i think alot for the US depends on the first game personally, if you dont lose i cant see you not qualifying, if England lose i can see us scraping through. However if the US lose then you need likely 2 wins or at least a win and a draw, and your rival is Slovenia who will put up a hell of a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom