• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

not anymore, at least not this generation. Costa Rica is only here because El Salvador sucks even more and couldn't beat Guyana.

The point I was trying to make is that we shouldn't assume that CR, Panama, or Jamaica are easy games.

They are points that WE should get, because theoretically, we should be the better team, but theory doesn't always work in practice.

Clydefrog

DGyl4zg.jpg

wut...wat?

Nesotenso

well from what I heard from my pro-USMNT friends, he was getting worked

he didn't play well at all. dude arrived to Miami on Monday and had to fly the same day for Honduras. Conditions probably didn't help but these are just excuses. He was poor but relying on him to overlap and provide crosses on the right was stupid. Bradley, Jones and Williams shouldn't start together.

ZZMitch

Mexico tied? Alright I take solace in the fact that CONCACAF is a big clusterfuck and that no team is too good. I think this was a tough start but certainly one we can get out of and qualify.

daoster

We want Mexico to win, because it'll give us an easier time to qualify (Mexico taking points from other teams). But yeah...Costa Rica is a must win.

Though the feeling of seeing Mexico off to a slowish start is great...

gutshot

Not really worried about the World Cup. It would take a monumental failure to not advance out of the Hex. I'm mostly disappointed that we still have a tough time beating CONCACAF minnows.

We have a team comprised of almost all European-based players and we can't even beat a team made up of Honduran and MLS players. And it's not like we dominated the match and they just happened to get a couple of lucky goals; they outplayed us. It is shameful, really.

Nesotenso

Not really worried about the World Cup. It would take a monumental failure to not advance out of the Hex. I'm mostly disappointed that we still have a tough time beating CONCACAF minnows.

We have a team comprised of almost all European-based players and we can't even beat a team made up of Honduran and MLS players. And it's not like we dominated the match and they just happened to get a couple of lucky goals; they outplayed us. It is shameful, really.

not trying justify the abject performance but I wonder how transatlantic travel and match day conditions affected them. Players looked really slow out there.

Mexico tied? Alright I take solace in the fact that CONCACAF is a big clusterfuck and that no team is too good. I think this was a tough start but certainly one we can get out of and qualify.

So if USA and Jamaica beat Mexico and Mexico beat Brazil twice in two months span. Then.....

Honduras is a really tough team. Their 4 best players all play in Europe and are the pillar of the team(1 of them was injured for this game). They qualified for the last world cup and did a really good job at London 2012 eliminating Spain. They are by a small margin the third best team of CONCACAF. USA shouldn't be so hard on themselves. If they lose their next game at home against Costa Rica, then they should start worrying a lot.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
Source: USSF aiming for home WCQ venues June 11 (PAN) Seattle; June 18 (HON) Salt Lake; Sept 10 (MEX) Columbus; Oct 11 (JAM) Kansas City.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Just to let you know guys, the U20 World Cup qualifying just began like half an hour ago in Puebla and your guys are playing against Haiti. Why do you need me of all people to inform you about that?

usa beat haiti 2-1....i watched it start to finish...anyone else?

usa looked OK going up 2-0 in the first half....but good GOD did they look awful the entire second half.

some really odd lineup choices didnt help the usa defense from the start in my opinion.

really really hope they sort it out between now and game 2 vs costa rica.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Anyone watching the U-20 CONCACAF Championships match between the US and Canada? We let in a goal but answered back with 3 goals, one right before the end of the half.

I'm so so so happy for these kids. I watched the first half before I had to go to my own game last night. I was impressed the team played so well after going down a goal. They dictated the play before giving up the goal, and when it went in I was crushed...then they sparked the come back, good for them.

shoplifter

I'm willing to cut him some slack. He's finally getting regular playing time at a club, and producing. He's also not 20 anymore with huge expectations on him (which weren't warranted, especially at the time).

Slizz

I'm willing to cut him some slack. He's finally getting regular playing time at a club, and producing. He's also not 20 anymore with huge expectations on him (which weren't warranted, especially at the time).

But he just doesn't care about the NT. It's obvious watching him play. No energy, sluggish, just doesn't give a fuck. I witnessed it live in person after he bought 500 tickets for his family and friends to see him play in Miami and put up an absolutely underwhelming performance against Honduras.

DominoKid

I don't like being negative, but I'm tired of seeing Jozy do awesome stuff for his clubs and not producing when it comes to international play.

his support at clubs is infinitely better than anything he's ever going to get from our NT. being our striker must be miserable.

WARCOCK

Banned
Man this thread is pretty big. It's almost as if americans are starting to like soccer if we go by
neogaf-------->real life--------->neogaf. Pleasantly surprised that at least some us-neogafers appreciate the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom