• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Bradley's response to that article is very good. It comes across as something the captain of the team would say.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-bradley-calls-usmnt-whistle-blowers-shameful

“It’s shameful, and it’s embarrassing,” he said. “I think for every guy who has ever played on a team, you give everything you have … and on every team in the world, not every guy is going to be happy. There’s going to be guys who go back to their room and talk with their roommate about things they wish were different. But that’s normal.

“…But you cross a line when you take those thoughts and you take your disappointments outside of the team, outside of the inner circle.”

The article cast an interesting backdrop for the team against an already difficult task on Friday night, when they’ll face Costa Rica (10 pm ET; ESPN/UniMas, LIVE chat on MLSsoccer.com), a team they haven’t beaten since 2005. A matchup against Mexico in Mexico City looms next Tuesday, March 26.

“It doesn’t help anybody or anything we’re trying to do this week,” Bradley said. “When you play on a team you have a chance every day to give everything you have, and part of that means having the [guts] to say things to guys to their face, and having the [guts] to say things in front of the team. I think in those ways, that this is really disappointing that in a week as important as this ... that you’d have something like that happen.”

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
great comments from bradley and he's exactly right. but it really doesnt change the heat this article puts on klinsmann. the public perception was already out there, the writeup just amplified it

rar

wow they made dempsey captain?

i find it very difficult to get excited about watching the usmnt when it's clear the people in charge have no clue what they're doing

NoRéN

wow they made dempsey captain?

i find it very difficult to get excited about watching the usmnt when it's clear the people in charge have no clue what they're doing
Sounds about right. But, I haven't been excited about any game since klinnsman came in.

NoRéN;50915574 said:
Sounds about right. But, I haven't been excited about any game since klinnsman came in.

At least the team seemed to trust Bradley. I don't get that at all with Klinnsman. And whether or not the german-american players are actually the superior players on the team, it's easy to see why a lot of the team is skeptical about what's going on and the roster choices Klinnsman has been making lately.

shoplifter

Deuce is a perfectly fine choice, and i hadnt even thought about him until yesterday morning. Bradley would have been too, and he will get it in the future.

Dempsey is the guy that isn't afraid to get in faces but knows when to stop. He's vocal on the pitch to other players and busts his ass for the Nats.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Deuce is a perfectly fine choice, and i hadnt even thought about him until yesterday morning. Bradley would have been too, and he will get it in the future.

Dempsey is the guy that isn't afraid to get in faces but knows when to stop. He's vocal on the pitch to other players and busts his ass for the Nats.

Sometimes I think he gets a little too angry during confrontations with other players. I think he is a good choice.

daoster

I think Deuce is a great choice as captain. Either Deuce or Bradley would have been good choices, IMO.

Also, regarding that article...the fact that so many people are talking about it, the fact that it is even happening now, and is front in center...this kind of crap happens all the time in other countries...SOCCER HAS ARRIVED!

Though I hope this won't affect team chemistry more

EDIT: Gomez kinda echos my thoughts:

“I love it – I love it,” he said. “It's about time. It's about damn time you guys took some interest and you guys started asking some tough questions. I think that shows us growing as a footballing nation, I really do.

“I think if Brian doesn't write that story and he kind of looks the other way – even if he has a hunch, I'm not saying he's right in doing it, but it's his job, so he's got to do it. He's going to burn some bridges along the way, but this country needs that exposure. This country needs football to matter. And I think that's great.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-hails-sporting-news-article-says-us-will-be-

NoRéN

At least the team seemed to trust Bradley. I don't get that at all with Klinnsman. And whether or not the german-american players are actually the superior players on the team, it's easy to see why a lot of the team is skeptical about what's going on and the roster choices Klinnsman has been making lately.
And it seems like those changes will continue as well. Can't see that helping to create trust among the team.
Good stuff from him.
Gomez is a great dude. Got to meet him when he was playing in Puebla.

Clydefrog

I feel the same way. Michael is vocal but way more level headed.

clint-dempsey-makes-fa3bu8.gif

This Costa Rica game is a must win. Our next game is @Mexico which is almost a guaranteed loss. If we lose to Costa Rica, I say fire Klinnsman before the Mexico game next week

daoster

It's sad that they don't play in LA anymore :( :(

Guys, I won't be able to watch the game tonight on account of me being on the road tonight and the WatchESPN app doesn't support UVerse, so I will live vicariously through this thread! Please keep it well updated

daoster

Michael Bradley is fired up with Costa Rica in his sights

I begin by asking Bradley to describe his state of mind. If I were a betting man, I would have predicted "angry" or "irritated," yet Bradley leans forward, pauses to make eye contact and surprises me. "Excited," he says, in the most serious tone I have ever heard anyone employ to express that word. "After the result and performance in Honduras, we are excited to get everyone together and train and know that we have a chance to play a big game before a big crowd. A chance to put this right."

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/soccerusa/id/1888?cc=5901

NoRéN

It's sad that they don't play in LA anymore :( :(

Guys, I won't be able to watch the game tonight on account of me being on the road tonight and the WatchESPN app doesn't support UVerse, so I will live vicariously through this thread! Please keep it well updated

It is. But I can understand since it seems like no matter what CONCACAF opposition the US can face here, it would be a home game for them.

Well, except Barbados, maybe.

Clydefrog

Damn. I'll be at the Ducks game. Let's go, USA!

go red wings!

my friend is going to the game tonight and is playing broomball on the ice after the game :lol

NoRéN;51144654 said:
2-0 to Mexico.

Fuck.

IMO, we want Mexico to win today. They will likely win the group. We want Mexico to take points away from all the other teams so we have a chance of being ahead of them.

xbhaskarx

LOL
76'
Corner, Honduras. Conceded by Héctor Moreno.

76'
Substitution, Mexico. Raul Jimenez replaces Giovani dos Santos.

77'
Goal! Honduras 1, Mexico 2. Carlo Costly (Honduras) header from very close range to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Mario Roberto Martínez with a cross following a corner.

78'
Penalty conceded by Maza (Mexico) after a foul in the penalty area.

78'
Penalty Honduras. Carlo Costly draws a foul in the penalty area.

80'
Penalty saved! Jerry Bengtson (Honduras) fails to capitalise on this great opportunity, right footed shot saved in the bottom left corner.

80'
Goal! Honduras 2, Mexico 2. Jerry Bengtson (Honduras) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the centre of the goal.

NoRéN

IMO, we want Mexico to win today. They will likely win the group. We want Mexico to take points away from all the other teams so we have a chance of being ahead of them.

Totally. I just meant they were looking good.

But it's looking like they depend alot on Hernandez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom