• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The USA played very well today; at times they looked much better on both ends than us. Keep Tab Ramos in; that guy will change more about your football than whatever Klinsmann claims to do.

watched the whole game....usa looked really really good. having no bench hurt as the game went on but wow they really gave mexico everything. and really should have been given 2 penalties beside sthe one given...2 clearer ones too....but it's mexico in mexico, whatever. at the end of the day i was impressed with how this team got better as the tourny went on...i was very worried after game 1 vs haiti. now we're back in the u-20 world cup this summer, congrats.

daoster

ESPN just announced LigaMX (The Mexican league) with English commentators.

This leaves me to wonder, what the hell Fox is going to do next year when they no longer have EPL rights? Just fall back on FA Cup and Champion's League games?

LigaMX would have been a decent start, since it's a good league, but now ESPN has that rights to that.

What other top leagues around the world are left to bid on?

Can they get back some MLS rights for next season? How bout trying to bid for the Bundesliga, which is up on the rise in Europe, and has some pretty exciting games.

There were rumors that FSC was going to become FX2, so things are not looking that good...can the first All Soccer Channel in the US really continue to exist without having any top tier leagues?

And don't forget, they still have the rights to 2018 and 2022 WC...

fox soccer is rubbish and I'd prefer they get zero coverage going forward....sadly they are getting the world cups somehow. NBC's coverage of mls alone makes me very confident in their ability going forward.

There were rumors that FSC was going to become FX2, so things are not looking that good...can the first All Soccer Channel in the US really continue to exist without having any top tier leagues?

Latest plan I read was that Fuel was being turned into the second FX channel.

P.S.

CONCACAF games on Fox Soccer this week.

fox soccer is rubbish and I'd prefer they get zero coverage going forward....sadly they are getting the world cups somehow. NBC's coverage of mls alone makes me very confident in their ability going forward.

totally agree. what a shit channel, i'm glad they are losing all the leagues.

my cable company just needs to get beinsport. :/ between that and nbc things will be perfect.

daoster

Damn a lot of hate for FSC here! I admit, some of their shows have weak ass production values, but their Champions League coverage is usually pretty good, and I love their personalities...especially Eric Wynalda (which I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with!)

But NBC getting rights to BPL will only force Fox to up their game next time bidding starts, which can only be good for Soccer in America! Competition is good.

But interesting news about Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Sports...

daoster

Suddenly the next two qualifiers for US seem a little scary.

- Tim Howard out (I think Guzan will do a good job though).
- Donovan is MIA.
- Dempsey's been out with a calf injury and hasn't play the last couple of weeks for Spurs because of it.
- Steve Cherundolo had knee surgery in February and who knows when he'll be back?
- Fabian Johnson - Hip injury...
- Bocanegra - Hasn't played for his side in a couple of matches, so fitness is questionable.
- Edgar Castillo - Broken face just a couple of weeks ago...can he come back in time?

Hmmmm

Suddenly the next two qualifiers for US seem a little scary.

- Tim Howard out (I think Guzan will do a good job though).
- Donovan is MIA.
- Dempsey's been out with a calf injury and hasn't play the last couple of weeks for Spurs because of it.
- Steve Cherundolo had knee surgery in February and who knows when he'll be back?
- Fabian Johnson - Hip injury...
- Bocanegra - Hasn't played for his side in a couple of matches, so fitness is questionable.
- Edgar Castillo - Broken face just a couple of weeks ago...can he come back in time?

Hmmmm

Yea, we fucked.

daoster

A little more of little good news... Klinsmann says Dempsey is back in the Spurs squad and hopes to play against inter... Should be in for the wcq then

This was via the ussoccer twitter

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Uh oh lol

@BrianStraus Hearing Tony Beltran & Justin Morrow are only outside backs on roster. No Bocanegra. Jermaine Jones only German-American

The roster should be out in a few minutes. I hope Straus is wrong about the fullbacks.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa - 5/3 SO), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire – 0/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake – 0/0)
DEFENDERS (6): Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake – 0/0), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City – 0/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City – 6/0), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy – 1/0), Clarence Goodson (Brondby – 5/0), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes – 0/0)
MIDFIELDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla – 26/6), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake – 2/0), Michael Bradley (Roma – 20/5), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana – 1/0), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor – 10/0), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04 – 6/0), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht – 13/0), Brek Shea (Stoke City – 2/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City – 4/0)
FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar – 18/6), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna – 2/0), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur – 27/11), Herculez Gomez (Santos – 6/2), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC – 12/10)

That defense X_X

I wonder how many of those DMs we will start.

daoster

The U.S. team has been hit with a rash of injuries as eight players are unavailable for the matches. Edgar Castillo (facial fractures), Timmy Chandler (hamstring), Steve Cherundolo (knee), Tim Howard (back), Fabian Johnson (hip), Jonathan Spector (ankle), Jose Torres (hamstring) and Danny Williams (illness).

Haha damn!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I thought we were done having Beckerman fuck our midfield up.

He must have nude photos of Klinnsman.

Only choices I'm really against are Goodson and Beltran. I'd rather cap John Anthony Brooks right now and keep him away from German youth teams.

daoster

I know that Bocanegra hasn't played much for his team in Spain, but I wonder if the US will be missing his leadership, especially against Mexico. Not saying he should be starting..at all, but I dunno, I think he's still valuable off the bench.

Slizz

I know that Bocanegra hasn't played much for his team in Spain, but I wonder if the US will be missing his leadership, especially against Mexico. Not saying he should be starting..at all, but I dunno, I think he's still valuable off the bench.
You wonder? We already know we miss the leadership. See Honduras game.

Oozer3993

MIDFIELDERS (9):Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake – 2/0)

ida1mOipSpQUC.gif

Clydefrog

NoRéN;50587740 said:
It will be nothing short of a miracle if the US gets any points from the next qualifiers. That lineup is rough.

I have faith in the Costa Rica game. But Mexico? Yeah, we'll need a miracle or 6

daoster

Friendly fire: U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann’s methods, leadership, acumen in question

Over the past several weeks, Sporting News has spoken to 22 individuals with ties to the U.S. national team or its members—including 11 current players based in MLS or abroad. The remaining sources make their living in American soccer and have reliable relationships with players, coaches and executives. Sources were offered anonymity in exchange for their anecdotes, observations and opinions. Those identified by name are Klinsmann and three players who spoke shortly before Sporting News commenced reporting this story.

What emerged over the course of these discussions was near unanimity regarding the players’ flagging faith in Klinsmann, his staff and his methods, along with the squad’s absence of harmony.

In conversation after conversation, the same themes emerged:

— Klinsmann and chief assistant Martin Vasquez either lack the tactical acumen and game-day chops to successfully lead the team or fail to communicate their wishes effectively.

— Too much time and too many resources are spent on initiatives that don’t translate to the field.

— Constant lineup changes and building resentment over the perceived importance and attitude of the German-born players are harming team chemistry.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/...ach-national-team-usa-american-world-cup-2013

Slowly reading through this at work, but not sounding too positive.

shoplifter

Sounds like some of the vets are being drama queens. Granted, JK isn't a tactical mastermind. The stuff about Boca - love him as I do, but the dude isn't getting much time with his 2nd division club, why should he get called in?

the article is pretty bad...covers lots of things, both good and bad about JK....lot to take in, I really hope changes are made and they hold and the team plays better and not like theyre exhausted or that theyve never played with each other before.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
This article mainly stated things that everyone already assumed. The thing about Boca is stupid. I also believe every German-American on the team besides Chandler is committed to the team as much as anyone born in the States.

the article is pretty bad...covers lots of things, both good and bad about JK....lot to take in, I really hope changes are made and they hold and the team plays better and not like theyre exhausted or that theyve never played with each other before.

Yeah recently it looks like they just haven't played together...ever. Just no flow. Granted, I'm not looking for Spanish-like soccer where the guys have eyes all over their heads and feet made out of glue but...I'd like some form of a beautiful game from our guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom