• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cs12Uv3.png

Ok, so the next swing of games is in June.

June 7, @ Jamaica
June 11, Panama
June 18, Honduras

I was pessimistic after the loss in Honduras, but I think we should be fine, especially if the injuries cool down.

Clydefrog

Ok, so the next swing of games is in June.

June 7, @ Jamaica
June 11, Panama
June 18, Honduras

I was pessimistic after the loss in Honduras, but I think we should be fine.

4th place in the Hex plays against New Zealand. If it comes down that, we can and should beat New Zealand. It shouldn't come down to that though.

I can't wait to be in Brazil next year :) (yes, i'm going!!)

Clydefrog

How do you buy tickets for World Cup games?

I'm still learning but they will be sold on some FIFA website and only there.

I'm almost ready to buy plane tickets but I need to decide my schedule..

oh and that whole VISA thing. but I don't think I'll be staying for the whole tournament.

jtb

Banned
So is Landon done with the USMNT set up for good? Or is this more of a sabbatical, and he'll be taking one last stab at it in Brazil?

AlexBasch

Mexico is a fucking joke.

Signed, a Mexican football fan.

It's a shame Donovan didn't play though, he loves to troll our country with nice goals. Next time it will be, I guess. :)

So is Landon done with the USMNT set up for good? Or is this more of a sabbatical, and he'll be taking one last stab at it in Brazil?
He fucking better.

Clydefrog

Alex Morgan hasn't tweeted shit about USMNT. Megan Rapinoe tweeted about the supreme court discussing same sex marriage but not about USMNT. Meanwhile, Abby Wambach has tweeted 5 times during the game... she's proud! :D

why do I care about tweets all of the sudden? USA USA USA

Meier

Did you see the Argentina highlights? Do they even have HD down there? Lol.

Haha it was in Bolivia.. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty rare there. Sometimes when the US plays in some of their CONCACAF matches in smaller nations the game isn't even broadcast on TV -- have to pay $30 to watch some shitty quality PPV!

Askani

I'm not as convinced as the commentators about the PKs that should have went to Mexico. The Bradley push wasn't a full arm extension shove and the Mexican player went down a little easy for me. The second PK is the more borderline. Yes he came in from behind but the play wasn't dangerous and I don't think he checked him as hard as all that.

Give me some perspective GAF if I'm being a USMNT homer while I'm go to look online for replays.

Also, it was nice to see Omar Bravo again even if it was for Mexico. I miss him leaving Sporting KC.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not as convinced as the commentators about the PKs that should have went to Mexico. The Bradley push wasn't a full arm extension shove and the Mexican player went down a little easy for me. The second PK is the more borderline. Yes he came in from behind but the play wasn't dangerous and I don't think he checked him as hard as all that.

Give me some perspective GAF if I'm being a USMNT homer while I'm go to look online for replays.

Eh, they could have gone either way from the angle I saw. Some refs would have called them, others wouldn't.

Clydefrog

Well, the first penalty will be called 50/50 in my eyes. Bradley shoved Hernandez and (of course) Hernandez fell hard and fast. I was actually surprised the ref called off the assistant's foul (see post #9739 in this thread).

The second penalty should have been a penalty. It was from behind and I didn't see Edu get any of the ball. HOWEVER, IIRC, they only showed two replays of it: one from the original game-camera, and one from behind the play. I wanted to see one from the goal-line to see if Edu got any of the ball. So I dunno. But it looked pretty much like a penalty.

Nesotenso

Huge result for the team with a makeshift back line. The CBs had a grand total of 6 caps between them. At least we have depth at CB and some faith with the bench there. Beasley soldiered on but it is obvious that Fabian Johnson is needed there. Can't even fault JK because he made attacking subs but I would have left Jozy in there.

Besler came up big. SKC represent !

AlexBasch

The Bradley push wasn't a full arm extension shove and the Mexican player went down a little easy for me.
Aquino is a little bitch. He did that all the time in Cruz Azul, good thing the PK wasn't awarded. The referee is there to enforce the rules, not to give freebies to a horrible team that played pure shit tonight.

Askani

I wanted to see one from the goal-line to see if Edu got any of the ball. So I dunno. But it looked pretty much like a penalty.

Here's a shitty quality version of a different angle until something better comes along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jSq6OheZwQU#t=40s

EDIT :::::

Different video. Don't think Edu got the ball but you can see the Mexican player kick the ground, then the ball, after it's away and then Edu comes in. Edu didn't touch his feet at all, just the contact after the ball was kicked. His right leg did hit the back of the other player's righ leg. IDK. I'm not in the it must be called but if it was I don't think I could really argue against it. Sometimes you get a call though. Can't change it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5QbFjBZceaQ#t=27s

Nesotenso

For all the chances Mexico had, they struggled to get behind the US defence. I can remember only one play in the first half that should have resulted in a goal. I just cant see them scoring many goals in games.

USA were shockingly bad tonight. Didn't even turn up

this no way a first choice lineup. If Mexico were competent in the final third it should have been 5-0 pasting.

Nesotenso

Watching Sportscenter talk about soccer is painful

yeah that was awful. At least we got Bob Ley and Monica Gonzalez is nice to look at. Seriously they are good print US soccer journalists they could use. But expecting SportsCenter's anchors to know something about the game is too much to ask.

Mindlog

Back in my day we had to earn our point swimming in piss and blinded by lasers.
Still a long road to 2014, but a step forward is always nice.

Really wish this game had been on the weekend.

xbhaskarx

I didn't think Bradley's push on Chicharito was a penalty. Edu's tackle certainly looked like one though. But then the US should have had one vs Costa Rica (Dempsey I believe?), that sort of thing happens. At least the US scored a goal and didn't need to depend on the referee to win.

Also I think people are being way too hard on the US given that they were missing like 7-8 of their best players (two just from last game) and the difficulty of playing at Azteca...

The US has played their two toughest road games and Mexico has dropped four points from two home games, things couldn't be going much better.
This confirms our coaching staff sucks if we have to result to this.

@arlowhite: Why is GK coach Chris Woods briefing Brek Shea?

Imagine what it's like for that guy, sure he gets to work with some quality goalkeepers with the US, but he goes from David Moyes to Klinsmann and Martin Vasquez...

daoster

Reading this topic made me lol...wish I was active in this thread during the game!

As for some users saying the US got lucky and that fans shouldn't be happy at what was displayed.

1. Yes we did get lucky
2. Yes we should be happy. You either bunker in and try to counter, or you get destroyed. This is our second time in HISTORY, in WCQ at Azteca that we've tied...the first being 16 years ago. We've never won once...at Azteca for a game that mattered. I understand the desire for attractive soccer, but sometimes, you just got to grind out the ugly result, and take it.

Man...what an intense game...I'm so happy we got a result here.

Nesotenso

Also I think people are being way too hard on the US given that they were missing like 7-8 of their best players (two just from last game) and the difficulty of playing at Azteca...

No lineup consistency is mostly because of injuries at inopportune times. But at least we know that there is cover at CB. Cherundolo/ Chandler at RB and Fabian Johnson at LB. There are spots in the midfield which are up for grab.

NoRéN

2. Yes we should be happy. You either bunker in and try to counter, or you get destroyed. This is our second time in HISTORY, in WCQ at Azteca that we've tied...the first being 16 years ago. We've never won once...at Azteca for a game that mattered. I understand the desire for attractive soccer, but sometimes, you just got to grind out the ugly result, and take it.

Man...what an intense game...I'm so happy we got a result here.

That's what US does every game at Azteca: bunker down.

Whatever happened to that wanting to improve mentality? Whatever happened to wanting a win every game?

No win at Azteca in qualifying before? Well, that should be the goal, not to at least get a point.

It just seems like fans are settling for little. This result was more about Mexico failing to achieve what they should than about US achieving something great.

methodman

Banned
NoRéN;51645882 said:

Whatever happened to that wanting to improve mentality? Whatever happened to wanting a win every game?

No win at Azteca in qualifying before? Well, that should be the goal, not to at least get a point.

It just seems like fans are settling for little. This result was more about Mexico failing to achieve what they should than about US achieving something great.

Meh. We woulda been rocked if we let our back line play your front line without bunkering our mids. No doubt in my mind we would have lost 3-0 or more. Dempsey is in really poor form for the past couple of weeks, even at Tottenham.

Clydefrog

NoRéN;51645882 said:

I actually agree Dempsey should have stepped his game up tonight. He had chances to be the class player he should be. He did not. But I cannot blame him that much. He is coming off an injury and has not had much playing time with his club.

NoRéN

I actually agree Dempsey should have stepped his game up tonight. He had chances to be the class player he should be. He did not. But I cannot blame him that much. He is coming off an injury and has not had much playing time with his club.

Very true. However, if that is the case, maybe the better choice for captain would have been someone else not coming off an injury and with more playtime.

But, Bradley hasn't been getting much playtime either so...fuck.

NoRéN;51645882 said:

wikipedia said:
Historically, Mexico has been very successful when playing in their home stadium. This is partly due to the smog, heat and high altitude (7,200 feet above sea level). Out of all the matches Mexico has played in this stadium, they have only been defeated 11 times, by 8 different teams.

Most of those were friendlies, according to some random forum post. Not a whole lot to give anyone hope of winning at Azteca in that record, so I'm not sure why you're picking this match to criticize USMNT's play style. If we play like this against Mexico at home.. then I'll agree with you.

NoRéN

Most of those were friendlies, according to some random forum post. Not a whole lot to give anyone hope of winning at Azteca in that record, so I'm not sure why you're picking this match to criticize USMNT's play style. If we play like this against Mexico at home.. then I'll agree with you.

Most of what? What matches are you talking about?

NoRéN;51648327 said:
Most of what? What matches are you talking about?

Mehico's all time record at Azteca. As far as I can tell in a few minutes googling they've only lost 11 times, most of those losses being in friendly matches. My point was that expecting the US to go into Azteca looking for a win in a WCQ isn't realistic.

Daigoro

NoRéN;51639906 said:
Missed them clear penalties did ya?

You must be one of those fans that sees only what is convenient.

you act like this shit doesn't happen around the world every day. one was a fucking dive anyways. he felt hands and went flopping like a whore.

you've always come across like someone who only begrudgingly supports the US. if you cant take something positive away from this game, you've got issues brother.

daoster

NoRéN;51645882 said:

I understand the need to improve your mentality and change things around, but against a team that is clearly better than you? If you go free flowing attacking football, you get destroyed. Every team except for the best of the best understand this. Sometimes you need grind out a result.

And you're right, the goal should be to win, but with a makeshift team? Even on the most ideal lineup, our defense can be shaky, but to play a guy who's out of position and a guy who's only getting his second cap, and expect us to be attacking and hold a high line? That's like suicide.

The last time we went for the jugular against Mexico in a game that mattered, we got smashed...4-2...and that was on OUR ground turf (okay, well legally, it was in the USA, crowd wise it was not).

And you're right, the goal should be to win, but with a makeshift team? Even on the most ideal lineup, our defense can be shaky, but to play a guy who's out of position and a guy who's only getting his second cap, and expect us to be attacking and hold a high line? That's like suicide.

is shaky. Our defense has been horrible to watch for the past 8 years, although it has certainly been getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom