• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

Fuck chicharito. Hate that guy.

USA bunkered down and had a strong defensive game. Omar Gonzales was stellar. Shades of Oguchi in his prime. Getting a point in the Azteca is huge. We lacked offense big time but the small chances we got showed promise. I was really disappointed with Dempsey's play. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm still not convinced on that guy.

What happened to Cherundolo?

NoRéN

1. Caught my neighbor taking his mexico flag off the hood of his car. Looks like he had it ready to go after the victory that never happened. I was walking my dogs and he saw me and goes, "no me enpieses a chingar"
Just laughed, said good morning and asked if he watched the game last night.

2. Girlfriend finally told me how much she won at work. Called the result so she won the entire pool, all $260. So, we went to pick the money up.

Surprisingly everyone was really cool. Friendly ribbing all around. Everyone else had the result as a mexico win. 2 dudes actually expected another 4-0.

Now I get to rebuild my car's carburetor and give it a tune up. Good day.

daoster

Last night’s 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying match between Mexico and the United States – a hard-fought 0-0 tie at the historic Estadio Azteca in Mexico City – was seen by an average 2.385 million viewers, 1.644 million households based on a 1.4 U.S. household rating (1.7 coverage rating), making it the most-watched and highest-rated FIFA World Cup qualifying match (or international friendly) telecast on an ESPN network, according to Nielsen Media.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...ighest-rated-fifa-world-cup-qualifying-match/

And...it was the second highest viewed original on cable yesterday!

Nice!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...dcore-pawn-the-game-snooki-jwoww-more/175219/

Tosh.0 took first place among cable originals with a 1.5 adults 18-49 rating, up from last week's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating. World Cup Qualifying Soccer took second with a 1.3 adults 18-49 rating.

jtb

Banned
Great ratings. Even independent of this WCQ cycle (which now seems much less in jeopardy), US soccer making small but steady steps forwards.

I only got to catch the match in snippits but I wanted to chime in with FUCK YEAH! i'll take a tie at Azteca with this team, definitely. I thought for sure Mexico was going to score after the yellow card.

NoRéN

I only got to catch the match in snippits but I wanted to chime in with FUCK YEAH! i'll take a tie at Azteca with this team, definitely. I thought for sure Mexico was going to score after the yellow card.
Chicharito must be replaying those missed chances in his head. Over. And over. And over.

Someone needs to send Costa Rica a whaaambulance. Their fans are crying indignation and a pity party is being thrown in their teams honor. Seriously it's like they ignore the fact team USA was playing under the exact same conditions.

Seanspeed

Banned

Mexico dominated the entire match. We're lucky that they didn't give that 2nd obvious penalty call.

Our defense played solid for once, but we had no attack. Whatsoever. Can anybody bring up the stats for shots on goal for the US? Pretty sure its like nothing. We cant rely on that in the WC. One of the good things about the '10 team was that it was an aggressive, attacking team. Thats gone now.

This team is entirely neutered. I'll cheer for them, but my hopes for them are gone. Its a pretty pathetic display.

daoster

All I know is...the away game at Costa Rica will be CRAZZZZZZZZZY.

Man, Costa Rica must despise us. Last cycle, we denied their automatic entrance to the World Cup, and this year, the SnowClasico happened.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mexico dominated the entire match. We're lucky that they didn't give that 2nd obvious penalty call.
Define "domination". We had chances, but at no point did I see the USA out of its comfort zone even if they decided to play super catennacio with no real counter-attacking. We had possession of the ball, but that didn't translate into any clear ideas as to what to do with it, thanks mainly to an overtly-obvious dependence on the flanks without any real playmaking in the middle. It's been a problem against bunkering teams all the way back to the last Gold Cup.

Regarding the penalties, I thought the 1st was a lot more obvious, and Aquino oversold the 2nd one. That said, Mexico cannot rely on referees doing ther job if we want to reach the World Cup. There were also a lot of other problems stemming from the bench that I've touched on in the general football thread, but now that the steam of the match has faded away I think there negatives are corrigible even with this coach. He just needs to get his head out of his arse.

daoster

Landon Donovan hopes for USMNT return, but "I realize I have a long way to go"

Landon Donovan knows he's got fences to mend and points to prove to Jurgen Klinsmann and the rest of the US national team, but the star midfielder says he can't wait to return to full speed with the LA Galaxy and hopefully earn the right to don his country's colors again.

“My primary goal is to get back playing here,” he said after the Galaxy's Thursday morning training session at Georgetown University. “I realize I have a long way to go both on the field and off the field to work my way back into the national team, and that's my goal. If that's something that presents itself, then that's something I want to do. I miss being a part of that and I want to represent my country again.”

I recognize the need to be with his family and that soccer isn't everything, but it kinda irks me that he left us at arguably our most important game.

Meh, whatever, if he scores a goal or two against Mexico in Columbus, I'll be happy, but for now, I'm kinda irked. And yes, I realize we are better with him than without him, but I think commitment to the team goes a long way.

I'm fine with Landon taking an extended sabbatical from the game. He gave us his all in 2010 and '06 and he's been a great player for us and gave us great moments that we'll always fondly look back upon (Slovenia stoppage time, still awesome). I really think Bianca just really fucked with his head and he's not an emotionally stable guy. I give him a pass. Really if his heart's not into it who are we to judge?

NoRéN

What makes me laugh is thinking back to the loss against Ghana in South Africa and people claiming that Donovan was easily replaceable.

I hope he comes back. However, he's done a lot for the national team already. He doesn't owe anyone anything.

Atlagev

All I know is...the away game at Costa Rica will be CRAZZZZZZZZZY.

Man, Costa Rica must despise us. Last cycle, we denied their automatic entrance to the World Cup, and this year, the SnowClasico happened.

But I mean, what else can they do to us? We never win (or even tie) down there *anyway*!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Landon Donovan hopes for USMNT return, but "I realize I have a long way to go"

I recognize the need to be with his family and that soccer isn't everything, but it kinda irks me that he left us at arguably our most important game.

Meh, whatever, if he scores a goal or two against Mexico in Columbus, I'll be happy, but for now, I'm kinda irked. And yes, I realize we are better with him than without him, but I think commitment to the team goes a long way.

At the same time I'd rather him be all there than not there at all. When he's all there he delivers big time, like at the last world cup. If he thinks all the shit going on in his personal life would hurt his play or adversely affect the team, I'd rather him take the time off. Besides, we need to learn to function without him as this next world cup is probably his last.

Nesotenso

If Landon starts with some decent playing time in April and May and some semblance of a form he will be picked for June. Zusi goes below him on the depth chart. I would like Gatt to be called up and get significant time for the Gold Cup.

Nesotenso

NoRéN;51910953 said:
Anyone think Holden will be called up for Brazil?

hard to tell. He was really promising before those two injuries. JK is probably keeping an eye on him. I suspect he will be called up for camps in the summer. If he starts in the Gold Cup and impresses there, he might. But I don't think he will be picked for the June qualifiers.

Clydefrog

NoRéN;51910953 said:
Anyone think Holden will be called up for Brazil?

I have to say yes. I hope so. But it's doubtful. No.

Charlie Davies played a game this past week and apparently was the best man on the field. If by some grace of god he can become what he was before the accident, world look out! (...)

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN;51912930 said:
I ducked hope this loan helps him get his form back.

Also, fuck you de Jong!

Don't you mean Evans? de Jong injury was before that one. I also blame the doctors for not realizing there was more damage after he almost came back after the Evans tackle. That put him out for another 6 months.

NoRéN

Don't you mean Evans? de Jong injury was before that one. I also blame the doctors for not realizing there was more damage after he almost came back after the Evans tackle. That put him out for another 6 months.

They can both choke on themselves.

But, you are right.

the tackle by de Jong killed the momentum Holden had going on career-wise.

Evans tackle put him again long term.

Yeah, fuck them both.

Four years from now, when USA plays Mexico again for a WCQ, I'm seriously considering going.

As well as the Columbus game in September, I just got to see if I can afford the trip.

How does one go about buying tickets for the match in Columbus? It's not offered for that match on their website. Sold out?

I live in Cincy so I want a chance to support if I can.

daoster

How does one go about buying tickets for the match in Columbus? It's not offered for that match on their website. Sold out?

I don't believe they are on sale yet. If you're a season ticket holder for the Columbus Crew, I think they get first dibs tho.

NoRéN

Four years from now, when USA plays Mexico again for a WCQ, I'm seriously considering going.

As well as the Columbus game in September, I just got to see if I can afford the trip.
I highly recommend it. The experience is worth it despite all the bad stuff. For me, despite bags of piss, being spit on, and the insults, it was a tamer experience than us games in Central America.

Columbus Crew season ticket holders get first dibs, if you aren't one, try American Outlaws or one of the Crew supporters groups. They're going on sale at some point this summer and likely won't even make it to the general public.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
crew stadium holds 22,500? surely some tickets are going to make it out to the public. we're planning a trip up as well, hinging on tickets of course

daoster

crew stadium holds 22,500? surely some tickets are going to make it out to the public. we're planning a trip up as well, hinging on tickets of course

How much did the Denver stadium hold? That sold out quick.

And it's gonna be a Mexico game, so it'll sell out quick in Columbus.

NNNG, seriously thinking about going.

Also, US Soccer's Centennial is happening now in Times Square, if you happen to be in NYC.

shoplifter

The Jamaica match last year had so much demand that they had to add more temporary seating to Crew Stadium at least twice. For Jamaica.

gutshot

Interesting news....

@SoccerInsider said:
Official: 2013 Gold Cup winner will play 2015 GC winner in playoff for berth in 2017 Confederations Cup #concacaf

@SoccerInsider said:
This year's Gold Cup now means something. If same nation wins in 13 and 15, no playoff needed. Playoff would be one game, details tbd

This should make for a pretty exciting summer for the USMNT.

Atlagev

NoRéN;52457667 said:
I highly recommend it. The experience is worth it despite all the bad stuff. For me, despite bags of piss, being spit on, and the insults, it was a tamer experience than us games in Central America.

What year did you go to Estadio Azteca?

I went in 2001, the 1-0 loss on a Borgetti header.

Also, the only thing I was worried about was hard projectiles, like batteries, apples, etc. The police took *very* care of us.

NoRéN

What year did you go to Estadio Azteca?

I went in 2001, the 1-0 loss on a Borgetti header.

Also, the only thing I was worried about was hard projectiles, like batteries, apples, etc. The police took *very* care of us.

My first trip there for a US game was in 1999. Then, the loss in 2001 and in 2005.

Being a kid, I was shocked at the amount of abuse(insults, batteries, "cups of water") people were willing to hurl at a kid.

Their police wasn't too bad. Nothing like Guatemalan police. Some of them were worse than the fans.

Askani

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2013...ity-kan-national-training-and-coaching-develo

SportingKC.com said:
Sporting Club and the U.S. Soccer Federation announced on Friday that the two organizations have agreed to a memorandum of understanding to jointly explore bringing a new National Training and Coaching Development Center to Kansas City, Kan. Together they are studying a proposed project that would be designed to develop a world-class soccer training facility and serve as the premier destination in the United States for player, coaching and referee innovation.

The three initiatives of the National Training and Coaching Development Center would be world-class infrastructure, education and youth development. The mission is to vertically integrate a system of physiological, technical, scientific, psychological and information-driven development for players, coaches and referees of all ages.

There are more than 20,000 licensed soccer coaches in the United States and nearly 150,000 soccer officials across the country. U.S. Soccer, which is celebrating its 100 Year Anniversary today, is committed to providing education resources and courses to foster consistent and quality instruction.

The state-of-the-art campus would be designed, developed and operated as a world-class training facility dedicated to the future of American soccer. At a projected cost of $50 million, the National Training and Coaching Development Center would host U.S. National Team camps, coaching education and referee development programming.

U.S. Soccer will also explore the feasibility of establishing futsal and/or small-sided soccer programming to be managed out of the National Training and Coaching Development Center.
The first step in the realization of the National Training and Coaching Development Center is to identify a site. By Monday, Sporting Club will issue a Request for Proposals to Wyandotte County land owners and real estate brokers in an effort to help identify the best available location for the National Training and Coaching Development Center.

Atlagev

NoRéN;52816227 said:
My first trip there for a US game was in 1999. Then, the loss in 2001 and in 2005.

Being a kid, I was shocked at the amount of abuse(insults, batteries, "cups of water") people were willing to hurl at a kid.

Their police wasn't too bad. Nothing like Guatemalan police. Some of them were worse than the fans.

The problem is that there were fans who taunted us in good fun, usually smiling, but there were also hard-core supporters who ran at us with flagpoles and started chanting at us super-aggressively. *That* was the kind of thing that scared me. Again, luckily, the police protected us, but it's that kind of thing you worry about.

Luckily, my Spanish was pretty bad back then, so I couldn't understand most of what they were saying to us. ;-)

Anybody been down to Costa Rica for a US game? How does it compare?

NoRéN

The problem is that there were fans who taunted us in good fun, usually smiling, but there were also hard-core supporters who ran at us with flagpoles and started chanting at us super-aggressively. *That* was the kind of thing that scared me. Again, luckily, the police protected us, but it's that kind of thing you worry about.

Luckily, my Spanish was pretty bad back then, so I couldn't understand most of what they were saying to us. ;-)

Anybody been down to Costa Rica for a US game? How does it compare?

El monstruo morado in 05. Much friendlier crowd. Taunts and whatnot but in good fun. Definitely feels like being in a sardine can.

I thought this partnership was in place for a while now? Is this the first big thing materializing from it?

Askani

NoRéN;52818135 said:
I thought this partnership was in place for a while now? Is this the first big thing materializing from it?

Not sure, first I've heard about it. Sounds also like this is actually doing the nuts and bolts of looking for real estate and making the determination of costs in advance of officially pulling the trigger.

Clydefrog

The return of Holden is awweeesssoommeee news. But then it just reminds me... the return of Charlie Davies is probably never happening :(

On a happier note, Jozy scored the winner in the Dutch Cup final today beating PSV Eindhoven! Jozy won a trophy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom